Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

IIRC, Bloodborne had several different bits of code, which controlled the rate at which things in the engine would update. So many different key pieces....it would take a long time to comb through it and get the whole game updating at 60hz.

Dark Souls 3 was probably very similar. But they likely icrementally made 30hz and 60hz version of each code string, as they went through development and created each thing.

Since its been 5 years....I would like to think that they have somewhat updated their tools and process. such that a 120hz patch could be feasible. But who knows. Maybe its something they will test a bunch and add later.
By modern I meant the last couple of decades. As far as I am aware, dark souls wasn't in development in the early 2000s :).

giphy.gif

the statement is very vague...does this mean Elden Ring might get delayed if they can't release the patch in time?

the statement is very vague...does this mean Elden Ring might get delayed if they can't release the patch in time?
It says Elden Ring's solution to this issue is ready to go.

But, because Elden Ring is upon release----they don't have time to test the solution/s for other souls games, until after Elden Ring releases.

VaatiVidya talking about the final build- of course there are some spoilers, but I'd say that he has a good explanation early on.

in one of the previews I read that you can't be invaded while playing solo anymore— players will only find their way into your game when you're in co-op...that's awful...I love playing solo and the invasions were an amazing part of the experience...apparently there's an item to use where you can opt-in for invasions but it should be the opposite- you should have to use the item to protect you from getting invaded

in one of the previews I read that you can't be invaded while playing solo anymore— players will only find their way into your game when you're in co-op...that's awful...I love playing solo and the invasions were an amazing part of the experience...apparently there's an item to use where you can opt-in for invasions but it should be the opposite- you should have to use the item to protect you from getting invaded
i think that's incorrect, either you misunderstood the wording or the preview was wrong, but IIRC the actual change is that you can't be invaded by more than one player unless you also have someone with you

Well if that's the way it works, I'm happy about it. I figured if From doesn't do it like bloodborne, where it asks you in the beginning play online or play offline, I'd play it normally till the first invasion then block the game at the firewall or run steam in offline mode.

Peeps on Steam are wondering about system specs. Hope it only runs on Intel and Alder Lake chips.

Peeps on Steam are wondering about system specs. Hope it only runs on Intel and Alder Lake chips.

Elden Ring developer FromSoftware and its publisher, Bandai Namco, have finally updated the game's Steam page to include the minimum system requirements for PC...the info reveals that Elden Ring will support DirectX 12 as its base API, unlike Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice which only supported DirectX11

Minimum Elden Ring Requirements:

Processor: Intel Core i5-8400 or AMD Ryzen 3 3300X
Memory: 12 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 3 GB or AMD Radeon RX 580, 4 GB
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 60 GB available space

definitely more demanding then usual for a FromSoft title...usually their titles aren't really demanding hardware wise, but I guess Elden Ring is different (open world, ray-tracing, DX12 etc)

I think you do need to use a consumable in order to be invaded

Looks like there are two types of invasions. There is a specific item you can use if you want to dual another player. The other type of invasion is the more typical Soulsborne style. You can enable these invasions in two ways: When playing co-op you are always open to invasions. If you want to enable invasions in solo mode there is an item you use to open your game up to them.

https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-multiplayer-co-op-pvp

Looks like there are two types of invasions. There is a specific item you can use if you want to dual another player. The other type of invasion is the more typical Soulsborne style. You can enable these invasions in two ways: When playing co-op you are always open to invasions. If you want to enable invasions in solo mode there is an item you use to open your game up to them.

https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-multiplayer-co-op-pvp

yes, which is what I was saying...solo invasions now require an item/consumable...the invader always needed to use one in previous Souls games (like the Red Eye Orb) but in Elden Ring the invadee now also needs to opt-in

I think it would have been cool for them to keep invasions open. But, make like 3 different pre-set invader specs for each area. And when the invader appears in your world----they randomly appear with one of those pre-set level and gear specs for that area. And that would prevent invasions where people have crazy gear or un-balanced level specs. something like that.

They could also limit your game so that you can only be randomnly invaded once per hour----unless you are in certain covenants----or eat a consumable---or wear a ring which opens you to more frequent invasions.

I think it would have been cool for them to keep invasions open. But, make like 3 different pre-set invader specs for each area. And when the invader appears in your world----they randomly appear with one of those pre-set level and gear specs for that area. And that would prevent invasions where people have crazy gear or un-balanced level specs. something like that.

They could also limit your game so that you can only be randomnly invaded once per hour----unless you are in certain covenants----or eat a consumable---or wear a ring which opens you to more frequent invasions.
I think the way it was done in DS3 was good.

Instead of forcing an invader into random gear they should just introduce an item level to the game, and you can only invade people who have the same item level or within a range of levels. The soul memory mechanic from DS2 was a horrible idea, in practice, and really didn't do anything to prevent twinks from trolling people.

I think the way it was done in DS3 was good.

Instead of forcing an invader into random gear they should just introduce an item level to the game, and you can only invade people who have the same item level or within a range of levels. The soul memory mechanic from DS2 was a horrible idea, in practice, and really didn't do anything to prevent twinks from trolling people.
Overall, I just think it would be cool if the general invasions were streamlined and just more focused on "this enemy is a real player". Rather than being always being subject to really complicated metas about gear and levels.

Save the complex metas for a specific PVP covenant and/or covenants which are about protecting certain areas, etc.

So I'll first comment on the Minimum Requirements for this game which were revealed and this disappeared again. I know the kind of system I've built up over the years and that system should run this game just fine. I find it strange that they'd reveal the Minimum Requirements and then take them away again. We're now 2 weeks from release (and likely a week from preload on Steam) and there's a lot of people right now who are wondering if this game will run on their PC. Enquiring minds want to know. As for the game itself? I'm excited. Can't wait for release to see this is like. My only question though is for the PC release and I ask all of you: when you're playing on PC do Souls-like games like Elden Ring play better with a keyboard/mouse or XBox controller? That's all I got and until next time I am out!

So I'll first comment on the Minimum Requirements for this game which were revealed and this disappeared again. I know the kind of system I've built up over the years and that system should run this game just fine. I find it strange that they'd reveal the Minimum Requirements and then take them away again. We're now 2 weeks from release (and likely a week from preload on Steam) and there's a lot of people right now who are wondering if this game will run on their PC. Enquiring minds want to know. As for the game itself? I'm excited. Can't wait for release to see this is like. My only question though is for the PC release and I ask all of you: when you're playing on PC do Souls-like games like Elden Ring play better with a keyboard/mouse or XBox controller? That's all I got and until next time I am out!
Some people claim they enjoy souls games more, with a keyboard. But, it does have limitations. These games are designed for controllers.

------------------------------------------
The PC specs were taken down, likely because they didn't make sense. And they were also causing a lot of commotion and beginning to get some backlash.

I say they didn't make sense because-----it said you need a 6 core intel 8 series i5 or Zen 3 Ryzen 3300x quad core. However, 7 series intel i7 7700k quad core is actually a little bit better than a 3300x. so if a 3300x is ok; Then the intel minimum spec shouldn't be their first 6 core.

It listed an GTX 1060 as the minimum nvidia card for graphics. Which....I don't think is out of line. But, it wasn't clear what experience that would give. some people feel that to play the game like a base PS4 (1080p30), you shouldn't even need a 1060.

I'm guessing they pulled the specs to avoid the commotion and may be working on validating some specs for certain performance levels. And then put up a chart which says this is approximately what you need for 1080p 60, 1440p 60, 4k 30, etc.

Originally, I thought I would buy this on PS5 without even thinking. But.....the performance mode in the network test wasn't a locked 60 fps. Dips as low as 45 FPS around dragons. dips to 50fps when fighting small groups out in the open. Even dips into 55 fps inside small dungeon areas. So, I may wait for Digital Foundry's final performance video, to decide on which version.

I suspect its a CPU code issue. But....from doesn't have a good history of patching performance issues.

FromSoftware has acknowledged that Elden Ring‘s Margit boss fight was too difficult in the network test, and it has since been rebalanced...producer Yasuhiro Kitao said that the studio didn’t intend to make boss fights difficult for the sake of it...however, there are optional bosses that will test your patience, should you want to take on an extreme challenge

“In terms of bosses that are unessential and optional and hidden, there are some of these that we have deliberately increased the challenge for those players who want to seek out this kind of experience,” Kitao explained. “Hopefully, if you’re that way inclined, you can seek out some really tough challenges hidden away in the world”...

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2022/02/13/elden-ring-boss-fights-balanced-after-network-test/

FromSoftware has acknowledged that Elden Ring‘s Margit boss fight was too difficult in the network test, and it has since been rebalanced...producer Yasuhiro Kitao said that the studio didn’t intend to make boss fights difficult for the sake of it...however, there are optional bosses that will test your patience, should you want to take on an extreme challenge

“In terms of bosses that are unessential and optional and hidden, there are some of these that we have deliberately increased the challenge for those players who want to seek out this kind of experience,” Kitao explained. “Hopefully, if you’re that way inclined, you can seek out some really tough challenges hidden away in the world”...

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2022/02/13/elden-ring-boss-fights-balanced-after-network-test/
Let’s hope it’s actually challenging from a mechanics perspective and not just cheap and tedious like the “hidden” dragon boss fight in DS2.

Let’s hope it’s actually challenging from a mechanics perspective and not just cheap and tedious like the “hidden” dragon boss fight in DS2.
The Ancient Dragon fight at least had a trick to it that made it easy. The hard part was just running and getting to its feet before it fully woke up.

While obviously not "easy," I feel like the Ancient Dragon was one of the easier dragon fights in DS. I found the whole technique of moving between his toes on my own, and it works pretty consistently.
I recall Kalameet not being too bad (with practice, of course) except if you wanted to cut off his tail and get the hidden sword. That was a total pain in the ass.
The less said about Midir the better. While Sister Friede is probably the toughest fight in all of DS, summoning help makes her relatively easy. Midir is still a complete motherfucker even when you summon help.

I'm assuming with all the dark souls discussions that this game will play closer to DS rather than Sekiro when it comes to combat?

I'm assuming with all the dark souls discussions that this game will play closer to DS rather than Sekiro when it comes to combat?
This game is, in many ways, a spiritual Dark Souls 4.

However, the lore and worldbuilding by George R.R. Martin is completely new/unrelated.

They have done one or two previous games with the 'ring' name. One of them was Eternal Ring*. There may be some ties to that. How direct, if any, remains to be seen.

Eternal Ring was itself, a riff on another From series, King's Field.

Its 95% Dark Souls combat, but has elements from both Sekiro (stealth/sneak) and Bloodborne (quickstep).

When I watched streams of the network test, it all seemed like a dream composite of the best things about DS/Sekiro/BB, but with many new things added as well. Magic seemed like a blast, and PvP actually seemed fun rather than aggravating gotcha mechanics. I could go on but everyone will find out for themselves soon enough.

This will be FROM's magnum opus without a doubt.

Nvidia just rolled out their Elden Ring optimized driver in the usual spots. Even 12-18 months ago they would have rolled that out the day before the game launches. These days they're only rolling out new drivers every 3-4 weeks.

The Ancient Dragon fight at least had a trick to it that made it easy. The hard part was just running and getting to its feet before it fully woke up.
Yeah it's not hard but I consider that entire fight just tedious and boring - also cheap because that asshole can occasionally one-shot you with an attack that iirc is not always possible to avoid.

Back