Eizo FlexScan EV2736W

I'm so close to buying this... I'm just unsure of PLS vs IPS... Can someone sell me on PLS? I'm not gonna use this for games, I'm an illustrator and will use it for design and illustration.

I was able to see that it is 100% sRGB from the Korean review. Falconetti, can you confirm this? Also, any chance you can take a picture of a black screen in a dark room so we can see the back light bleed?

Is this the same panel as the Samsung 850D?

And I need to find a proper retailer in the US. Anyone know of one?

Falconetti does not have a colorimeter. PLS is just Samsung's version of IPS, the main difference is that monitors with PLS panels are usually more consistent in terms of factory color quality while Iow-mid range IPS often show large variances between the same models.

PRAD measured 97% for sRGB color space coverage.

This monitor is not suitable for work unless you own a suitable colorimeter (i1 display pro and spyder 4 elite are good starting points) due to the bad factory settings. It might use the same panel as the 850D but this does not matter since different companies will use different internal components and customize the display.

Right on. I was hoping for 99% or 100% sRGB. I know it's a small amount, but it can make a difference.

I have a Spyder 3 Pro. I assume that will be fine with the monitor?

Thanks for the info NCX.

No, the spyder 3 is inaccurate with LED back-lit displays, it wasn't accurate to begin with and it looses accuracy over time. You need to buy an i1 display pro, spyder 4 elite or something even more expensive

Need to buy an NEC, Eizo or Lacie to for higher sRGB coverage, but they are very grainy. NEC should have some newer models coming out this year with a light matte coating. Since you are using a spyder 3 I wouldn't worry about such small % differences.

Last edited:
If the gamma is low on yours you should be able to differentiate between the first few boxes fairly easily:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

I have done the test in USER1 mode and can report that I can't differentite between the first few boxes easily. The first box is borderline placebo effect for me where my imagination could be the filler of the outline versus the surrounding black space. The second and third gets better but I still wouldnt call it "easy".

Any gradient banding after tweaking the settings?

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

All of the 2560x1440 displays I've used (S27A850D, 2720MDP, PB278Q) except for the U2713H show gradient banding after calibration.

Still in USER1 mode, and no gradient banding whatsoever.

I was able to see that it is 100% sRGB from the Korean review. Falconetti, can you confirm this? Also, any chance you can take a picture of a black screen in a dark room so we can see the back light bleed?

My cellphone is 5 years old and got a shitty camera. I tried to take a bunch of pictures of a black screen in a dark room but all the images came back grainy and blue. The only picture I took with sucess was the one I posted earlier that display my desktop image.

I can however promise you that I have no problems with backlight bleed. My experience is tha same as most other users in a Swedish forum that have reported the same. I can provide you with some samples from them as they clearly have better cameras on their cellphones compared to mine.

Btw, NCX is spot on regarding the colorspace percentage ;)

Out of curiosity I asked a user that owns the EV2736 and also owns an i1 display 2 colorimeter to check if the factory settings in user mode sRGB are as bad on his display as it was on the one that PRAD reviewed. Here is the results if anyone is interested.

BbM7geK.png

Last edited:
Using a profle validation for that task is always problematic. It is designed to measure against the display profile itself after calibration and profilation. However: Independent from the actual comparison target we can at least see that the greybalance is better than in our review. We will recheck the EV2736 because out of the box greybalance and tonal curve were unusually poor.

Last edited:
is this monitor better then the dell u2713hm? returning that dell cause it has the yellow tint thingking of buying this screen

The i1d2 isn't really suitable for this model. Need to know the factory gamma which can be measured with HCFR (Free) and Agryll since it was the main issue.

If the i1d2 owner looks at the lagom black level test and thinks the first 2 boxes look really light and can clearly discern between the first few then it means his display has low gamma.

is this monitor better then the dell u2713hm? returning that dell cause it has the yellow tint thingking of buying this screen

The Eizo will have less (no?) quality control issues but the Dell has way better colors and movie playback capabilities.

Get the Viewsonic VP2770 unless you own an i1 display pro or Spyder 4 Elite and plan to calibrate the Eizo. The Viewsonic's colors are as good as the Dell, it has less quality control issues (keep in mind that very few people have these), lower input lag and overdrive control if you don't like overshoot. It's main issue is that the default sharpness setting causes text aliasing, setting it to 0 fixes the problem according to most.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1732378

If the i1d2 owner looks at the lagom black level test and thinks the first 2 boxes look really light and can clearly discern between the first few then it means his display has low gamma.

I think you already asked me to do that test and I replied in an earlier post stating that I couldn't clearly discent between the first few boxes. If you still want his input I can arrange for that to happen too.

The Eizo will have less (no?) quality control issues but the Dell has way better colors and movie playback capabilities.

You mean better factory color settings in sRGB mode compared to the screen Prad testet ? Im also a bit curious as to why the Dell would have way better movie playback capablilites ?

I think you already asked me to do that test and I replied in an earlier post stating that I couldn't clearly discent between the first few boxes. If you still want his input I can arrange for that to happen too.

I meant that you wold ask the i1d2 owner to look at lagom, but you posted his i1d2+hcfr gamma results which are very good.

Falconetti said:
You mean better factory color settings in sRGB mode compared to the screen Prad tested? Im also a bit curious as to why the Dell would have way better movie playback capabilities ?

The Dell has way better colors out of the box (standard mode) vs. the Eizo PRAD reviewed. The U2713HM has better movie playback capabilities than most monitors. I probably should not have used "way better," since most likely do not consider things like de-interlacing and 24p playback when buying a monitor.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2012/review-dell-u2713hm-part9.html#DVD

One could always use re-clock+Power DVD for blu-ray playback on their PC but it still won't be as smooth as proper 24p blu ray play back on a PS3.

Extrahardware CZ's Unit has good gamma but significantly lower contrast than PRAD's

http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/recen...edcivy-27-ips-se-ctyrmi-megapixely/strana/0/5

Last edited:
I meant that you wold ask the i1d2 owner to look at lagom, but you posted his i1d2+hcfr gamma results which are very good.

There you go then ;)

The Dell has way better colors out of the box (standard mode) vs. the Eizo PRAD reviewed.

Thank you for clarifying that the Dell PRAD reviewed has better out of the box colors compared to the Eizo PRAD reviewed. Prad is looking into it I've been told.

The first Eizo Foris FS2333's had similar issues so Eizo sent out revisions to be reviewed which had better colors. Usually PLS panels are very consistent color wise between units and reviewers using similar equipment while some IPS are all over the place. Surprisingly the U2713HM has been very consistent.

The first Eizo Foris FS2333's had similar issues so Eizo sent out revisions to be reviewed which had better colors. Usually PLS panels are very consistent color wise between units and reviewers using similar equipment while some IPS are all over the place. Surprisingly the U2713HM has been very consistent.

Sadly, that is the only consistent thing about the U2713HM. With such a bad quality control it really doesn't help that much. Dell has dropped the ball and I think Viewsonic have a golden opportunity here with their new display.

But why does it have such a big stand. I need a separate desk just for the monitor. Impossible.

Anyone know how this compares to the Viewsonic VP2770? It's considerably less expensive, and way easier to find the US. Seems, very similar in specs and probably the same panel.

Anyone know how this compares to the Viewsonic VP2770? It's considerably less expensive, and way easier to find the US. Seems, very similar in specs and probably the same panel.

If the VP2770 is considerably less expensive and way easier to find where you live It would probably be a wiser move to find a dealer with a good return policy and give that display a try. If you don't like it, send it back. PRAD is the only site who have tested both and they gave the VP2770 a "good" rating and the EV2736 a "very good" rating.

The Viewsonic has better colors vs. the unit PRAD reviewed, but their Eizo had better black levels. The Viewsonic is on par with the Eizo extrahardware CZ reviewed color wise, but the Eizo ECZ reviewed had worse black levels. The Viewsonic is easily superior for gaming since it has lower input lag and it has an HDMI port if that is important, it has also been pretty consistent color quality+black level wise, however very few EV2736W's have been tested. The Eizo will likely have better screen uniformity.

The Viewsonic has better colors vs. the unit PRAD reviewed, but their Eizo had better black levels. The Viewsonic is on par with the Eizo extrahardware CZ reviewed color wise, but the Eizo ECZ reviewed had worse black levels. The Viewsonic is easily superior for gaming since it has lower input lag and it has an HDMI port if that is important, it has also been pretty consistent color quality+black level wise, however very few EV2736W's have been tested. The Eizo will likely have better screen uniformity.

Trouser will not be using it for gaming. He is an illustrator and will calibrate his display for use in design and illustration. So "superiority" in gaming and factory color settings shouldn't be of a concern to him.

Pretty sure there is no PWM.

As for the stand... yea, That's kind of a bummer... is it VESA compatible? third party stand?

The VP2770 does not use PWM and it is vesa mountable.

Trouser, factory settings should be your top priority if you do not plan on getting a new colorimeter since your Spyder 3 is not accurate. If you get a new colorimeter (spyder 4 elite or i1 display pro) then it doesn't really matter which one you buy, other wise the Viewsonic is the only safe choice. If you really are serious about your work you need to by a new colorimeter anyway.

NCX, for sure, agreed.

Ill be picking up a i1 Display Pro along with whatever monitor i buy. So I'm not super worried about factory settings.

NCX, for sure, agreed.

Ill be picking up a i1 Display Pro along with whatever monitor i buy. So I'm not super worried about factory settings.

Don't forget about the warranty. EIZO have a 5 year warranty while Viewsonic only offer 3 years. You can however buy extended warranty from Viewsonic to cover year 4 and 5 for a fee of 93 USD or 123 USD with express exchange included.

Is this monitor a better choice than the Dell Ultrasharp 2713H?

U2713H is a Wide gamut display, EV2736 is standard gamut. What are you planning to use your display for ?

I will not use it for photo editing that's for sure (ok maybe a little). I do use internet alot and since i've used a Spyder Express 2 with my Dell 2407WFP-HC (i think my screen is a wide gamut too but i'm not sure though) five years now i am quite spoiled with colours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will not use it for photo editing that's for sure (ok maybe a little). I do use internet alot and since i've used a Spyder Express 2 with my Dell 2407WFP-HC (i think my screen is a wide gamut too but i'm not sure though) five years now i am quite spoiled with colours.

EV2736 covers 97% of the sRGB color space, but that is only about 72% of the NTSC space. A 100% adobe RGB (wide gamut) display would cover 94% of the NTSC space. Your display cover 92% of the NTSC space.

Buy a U2713H if you just want over-saturated colors and don't care about accuracy or if content looks normal. A spyder 2 is an inaccurate meter and should not be used with the U2713H, you will need to buy a spyder 4 elite or i1 display pro to calibrate the Dell and you will still be stuck with its native gamut since the hardware calibration is useless and the sRGB mode has locked color settings and suffers from a very strong green dominance. For amateur photo editing the Dell might be ok after calibration with an appropriate colorimeter.

If you want to play games the U2713H is pretty slow in terms of both input lag and ghosting compared to better options like this Eizo and Viewsonic VP2770. The Dell does have a game mode with lower lag but you can't change the colors and it uses the Dells native gamut.

Buy a U2713H if you just want over-saturated colors and don't care about accuracy or if content looks normal. A spyder 2 is an inaccurate meter and should not be used with the U2713H, you will need to buy a spyder 4 elite or i1 display pro to calibrate the Dell and you will still be stuck with its native gamut since the hardware calibration is useless and the sRGB mode has locked color settings and suffers from a very strong green dominance. For amateur photo editing the Dell might be ok after calibration with an appropriate colorimeter.

If you want to play games the U2713H is pretty slow in terms of both input lag and ghosting compared to better options like this Eizo and Viewsonic VP2770. The Dell does have a game mode with lower lag but you can't change the colors and it uses the Dells native gamut.

Which Dell? The 2713H? I know i shouldn't use the old Spyder 2 with my screen but it does look better for some reason. Which have a very strong green dominance? My old Dell screen or the 2713H? What is the 2713H good for anyway? You lists only bad things about it. :D

And you didn't tell me anyting about the Eizo screen. How does it fair against the Dell? It can't be used for photo editing?

I was only referring to the U2713H which is only good for pleasing users who want over-saturated and inaccurate colors who are also casual gamers. The U2713H might be ok for photo editing as long as you spend 280$+ on an appropriate colorimeter for calibration.

The U2713H should only be compared to its mediocre predecessor, the Delll U2711 since neither are particularly good at anything except offering vibrant colors.

The Eizo should be fine for photo editing, but I don't think it is worth 200-300$ more than the Viewsonic VP2770 since the Viewsonic has been very consistent color quality wise while the Eizo has not, though only 2 Eizos have been reviewed.

I was only referring to the U2713H which is only good for pleasing users who want over-saturated and inaccurate colors who are also casual gamers. The U2713H might be ok for photo editing as long as you spend 280$+ on an appropriate colorimeter for calibration.

The U2713H should only be compared to its mediocre predecessor, the Delll U2711 since neither are particularly good at anything except offering vibrant colors.

The Eizo should be fine for photo editing, but I don't think it is worth 200-300$ more than the Viewsonic VP2770 since the Viewsonic has been very consistent color quality wise while the Eizo has not, though only 2 Eizos have been reviewed.

He is from Sweden and can get the Eizo for 767 USD deal right now. The VP2770 costs 920 USD. Add to that the additonal cost if you want the optional year 4 and 5 warranty and you end upp with over 1000 USD for the VP2770 in Sweden.

FYI, panel model of EV2736W is LTM270DL04-N01, differ from S27B970D of LTM270DL02-201.

Last edited:
My EV2736 makes a sound all the time, it is like a tune lasting about 2-3 seconds
anybody experiencing the same?

PS. It is the PSU - Corsair HX650, the famous chirping.

Last edited:
which is faster ?
EIZO EV2736W or VP2770 ?

is the EIZO EV2736W really making noise ?
how loud is it ?
i have really sensitive hearing.

maybe i should buy vp2770.

only what bothers me is the Viewsonic stand.
i like the flexscan2 stand made by Eizo.

which is better for text + movies ?

now I have Dell 2713HM, but i don't like it.
my previous S-PVA Samsung 244T was much more relaxing to watch.
sadly the LED technology is not that great in my opinion.
only the power consumption is better.

maybe I should buy PVA or MVA ?
maybe 1920x1080 is enough ?
maybe I should try the new 29'inch NEC (21:9) ?

pretty hard to decided between:
Eizo EV2736W
Viewsonic VP2770
NEC MultiSync EA294WMi
Philips 298P4QJEB

i hate noise + backlight bleeding that's for sure.
i only want to watch movies and doing word+surfing

Back