Eizo FlexScan EV2736W

Any thoughts on this monitor. I have been researching about monitors past month. So far NEC and Eizo makes top of the line monitors. I was wondering what you guys think about this (Eizo FlexScan EV2736W). Do Eizo make top quality monitor?

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/flexscan/ev2736w/index.html

I really need a monitor so bad. So I pre-ordered the Asus PB278Q and i am also looking at Samsung S27B970D. With Asus PB278Q i am hearing lots of on and off reviews. Especially with the Back LED bleeding. I am willing to spend 1200 dollars on Samsung unless you guys have any thoughts about the Eizo FlexScan EV2736W. If this eizo model is better than Samsung S27B970D. It will come out next month for 1100 dollars. I could wait another month. Please help. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't touch an expensive NEC or Eizo with a 10ft poll (for hobby use) unless it is confirmed that these newer models are using semi-glossy coating vs the excessively grainy coating all of the current 24-30" IPS panels use, except for the Dell U2713. NEC's latest professional P232W has a reduced coating so it is possible that these Eizos will as well.

There are no reviews for the 27", but PRAD is currently in the process of reviewing the 24" (In German). It should be up within the next few weeks for the paid sneak peek

I would advice against buying either the Asus PB278Q ( poor quality control ) or the more expensive S27B970D ( not worth the premium asked for it ). Your best bet is to wait for reviews on the Eizo FlexScan EV2736W, if its a non wide gamut display you are looking for?

If you are looking for 27" wide gamut displays you have 2 new models coming out from Eizo in the upcoming months. Please see my post in another thread where the threadstarter asked a similair question.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039128903&postcount=3

Looks like Asus and ViewSonic aren't the only ones who try to market PLS panels as IPS.

I just received an official reply from Eizo:
Thank you very much for your interest in EIZO and our products.

The EIZO EV2736W will be available in December 2012, also in Romania.
Please check our partner website: http://www.lasting.ro/

The EIZO EV2736W is equipped with a new PLs-Panel which brings the following benefits in comparison to conventional IPS-panels:
Further improvement in viewing angle, 10 percent increase in brightness and increased image quality.

If you have further questions. Feel free to contact us again !

Best regards !

Your

EIZO Team !

I don't know anything about EV2736W but it seems that EV2336W uses a PLS panel with soft coating and doesn't use PWM above 18% of brightness.

I don't know anything about EV2736W but it seems that EV2336W uses a PLS panel with soft coating and doesn't use PWM above 18% of brightness.

Ok thank you, So we got the EV2336 with a PLS and soft coating. And then there is the "black sheep" in the family in the form of the EV2436 with a 6bits LG- eIPS panel and aggressive coating.
I got some information regarding the EV2736 from a Japanese forum (google translated) that claims that it got an 8bit PLS panel. That should be a strong indicator that it will indeed carry a soft coating too, dont you think ?

Ok thank you, So we got the EV2336 with a PLS and soft coating. And then there is the "black sheep" in the family in the form of the EV2436 with a 6bits LG- eIPS panel and aggressive coating.
I got some information regarding the EV2736 from a Japanese forum (google translated) that claims that it got an 8bit PLS panel. That should be a strong indicator that it will indeed carry a soft coating too, dont you think ?

Yes, i do. Samsung PLS panels usually has soft coating.

Looks like Im taking one for the team! Just ordered an EV2736 from one of the online stores here in Sweden.
They had it on discount for a short period so I got it for 932 USD. Lets hope it doesn't disappoint.

Looks like Im taking one for the team! Just ordered an EV2736 from one of the online stores here in Sweden.
They had it on discount for a short period so I got it for 932 USD. Lets hope it doesn't disappoint.

Why the heck is Eizo stuff so cheap in Sweden and Norway? I have no idea, their stuff is like twice the price in Australia.

Why the heck is Eizo stuff so cheap in Sweden and Norway? I have no idea, their stuff is like twice the price in Australia.

Recently, Eizo's North American prices were dropped to fall more in line with the European prices. I was quoted $950 CDN for this monitor. Hopefully Eizo will align their prices in Australia soon as well.

I want this monitor for the paper view and the low brightness.

Adjustable to Just 0.2% of Maximum Brightness

In a dimly-lit work environment, a monitor with low brightness settings will be more comfortable to use. This monitor comes with an LED backlight that allows for adjusting the brightness to just 0.2% (about 0.6 cd/m2) of the maximum. With typical CCFL backlights the lowest you could adjust to would be a much brighter 20%.
low brightness

Preset Modes for Optimum Viewing

Five preset modes (including two with user adjustable settings) ensure you always get the right setting for any application. You can switch modes at the touch of a button or automatically with the bundled ScreenManager Pro for LCD software.

Paper Mode and EyeCare Filter Reduce Eye Fatigue

The Paper mode preset simulates the look of printed paper and helps prevent eyestrain when reading documents. When used with EyeCare Filter (available with the bundled ScreenManager Pro software), any of several filter patters that resemble different types of paper can be applied. You can adjust the density of the filter patterns for maximum viewing comfort.

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/flexscan/ev2736w/index.html

I read a lot on my monitor in a dim room. I have a NEC, which gets pretty low in brightness, but it's still at least 10x brighter than the Eizo. I usually keep the NEC at 40cd/m2.

Too bad this comes with a PLS-panel and not a IPS-panel.

Got this display a couple of days ago and must say that Im very satisfied with it. Absolutely no backlight bleed and zero dead pixels. Soft AG coating and no PWM above 20% brightness.

Here's a picture taken with my 5 year old Nokia phone.

anyone else here guys have the monitor and can get back to us on pwm and ag coating?

Where to buy Eizo with a good return policy in Canada?

Shoprbc, frontier PC and direct dial all sell the Eizo for around 1000$ but they all charge 15-25% re-stocking fees and get the buyer to pay for return shipping

IMO Eizo quality is worth paying for but the Viewsonic VP2770 is only 800$ from Amazon Canada and has an hdmi port, though the base is ridiculously large. Maybe I could use a dvi-hdmi adapter and run my consoles @1280x720.

If you own a console can you try setting it to 720p and connecting it to the Eizo with a dvi-hdmi cord/adapter?

If you own a console can you try setting it to 720p and connecting it to the Eizo with a dvi-hdmi cord/adapter?

Im terribly sorry but I cant help you with that, Its 100% PC in my household atm.

Shoprbc, frontier PC and direct dial all sell the Eizo for around 1000$ but they all charge 15-25% re-stocking fees and get the buyer to pay for return shipping

In other words, there isn't really anywhere that has a good return policy for Eizo in Canada. Too bad Memory Express didn't carry Eizo, as I know they have a pretty good return policy.

In other words, there isn't really anywhere that has a good return policy for Eizo in Canada. Too bad Memory Express didn't carry Eizo, as I know they have a pretty good return policy.

An employee with www.megatech-int.com told me that if you want to return the monitor within the first 30 days, Eizo will pay the shipping. After 30 days, you pay. Not sure if this policy is specific to this company, or if Eizo generally pays return shipping within 30 days. I have no info on restocking fees.

Can anyone confirm what panel this monitor is using? and what the sRGB gamut percent is?

I've been waiting months for a decent 27" sRGB display for graphics and illustration work... really wanted the U2713HM, but I'm sick of waiting on the kinks to be worked out. And it seems like there are a lot of kinks.

Also thought about the HP zr2740w, but it seems fairly long in the tooth and lack of OSD is a mark against it.

The NEC PA series also is a possibility, but those seem ripe for updates soon as well... ugh.

So yea, any details on this monitor would be great!

Can anyone confirm what panel this monitor is using? and what the sRGB gamut percent is?

I've been waiting months for a decent 27" sRGB display for graphics and illustration work... really wanted the U2713HM, but I'm sick of waiting on the kinks to be worked out. And it seems like there are a lot of kinks.

Also thought about the HP zr2740w, but it seems fairly long in the tooth and lack of OSD is a mark against it.

The NEC PA series also is a possibility, but those seem ripe for updates soon as well... ugh.

So yea, any details on this monitor would be great!

Its a PLS 8bit+FRC panel. Can't help you with the sRGB gamut percent.

Is this monitor really better than the 2713H? Anyone compared?

Prad has reviewed this monitor. They will have certainly measured the gamut and probably made some comparisons to the U2713* series as well. You can pay 2.5 Euro now to view it online or wait until mid April for the free review.

Checked PRAD's review...18ms signal delay and the factory settings are worse than most of the other 2560x1440 displays they have tested

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-eizo-ev2736wfs-bk.html#Einleitung

They gave the Eizo a higher rating over all and for gaming vs. the Viewsonic VP2770 even though the VP2770 has a nearly 3x lower signal delay, similar pixel response times as well as much better color presets.

I have an opportunity to get an ev2736w at good price, valid until tomorrow evening.. I was about to do it, but reading your last comment makes me stop all. I am not a player, so do not mind "signal delay". But about "factory settings are worse than most of the other 2560x1440 displays they have tested", if true this is a show stopper. I do not intend to buy a probe. I know I should wait until mid april to get the fre review result, but as I have to make up my mind before tomorrow, could you be a bit more explicit about this screen pros/cons as found out by prad ?

I've not read the review, but i think it will be like the review of the EV2436, where they suggest to buy a colorimeter in order to get the best of the monitor. In the case of the EV2436, it has a mediocre factory settings, but using a i1 Display Pro an user of PRAD Forum reaches a contrast value of 1284:1 and a black point of 0,1.

The panels of both monitors are different, the EV2436 has a IPS/LG panel and the EV2736 has a PLS/Samsung, but, for sure, using a colorimeter you will have a better performance of the monitor. Probably better than the average. But obviously, you will have an extra cost....

The colors are inaccurate out of the box (high delta E & 7100k color temperature) and the average gamma is pretty low (1.6-2.1 range=washed out colors) though the contrast was around 1000:1. The Viewsonic VP2770, Dell U2713HM and Asus PB278Q all have very good color presets by comparison.

This is one of those cases where it is definitely not worth it to pay a premium for an Eizo product imo.

Last edited:
I own the EV2736 and have also read the review from Prad. Here is a google translate regarding signal delay between the Eizo and the Viewsonic models in question.

EV2736 :

The latency is an important value for players, we calculate the sum of the signal delay time and the average half-time frame rates. The signal delay is the EV2736W with 17.6 milliseconds from quite long, apparently, a picture frame cached. The desired brightness is 5.5 milliseconds later (Overdrive improves), the average total latency is calculated for the dedicated gamer unattractive total value of 23.1 milliseconds. All other users will not notice it though.

VP2770 :

The latency is an important value for players, we calculate the sum of the signal delay time and the average half-time frame rates. The signal delay is the VP2770 with 7.2 milliseconds briefly, evidence of a frame buffer, we have not found. The desired brightness is reached at 5.2 milliseconds later, so we calculate the average total latency for the IPS panels are still quite low value of 12.4 milliseconds.

So we have a total value of 23.1 ms for the EV2736 and a total value of 12.4 ms for the VP2770. Comparing only signal delay we end up with 17.6ms vs 7.2ms in favor of VP2770. So for the dedicated fps gamer the VP2770 is clearly the winner here, the rest of us will not notice any difference.

EV2736 have 2 user modes for calibration and 3 color preset modes. The preset modes are sRGB , MOVIE and PAPER. I don't own a calibrator atm but Im mostly in user mode and using slightly adjusted calibrated values from another user, and Im very happy with the performance of this screen.
Prad tested the sRGB mode and was apparently not too happy with the presets for the sRGB mode, except for the contrast ratio. The EV2736 have a consistently high contrast ratio of 1000:1 compared to the mediocre contrast of the VP2770.

Here you have a post made by a new VP2770 owner who just "adores" his new display ;)

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039692184&postcount=32

The lag differences would be noticeable to casual gamers if they got to test both side by side. The VP2770 has a normal contrast ratio for a 2560x1440 display, it's average, not mediocre. The Eizo is somewhat of a freak in terms of contrast but the gamma is mediocre for such an expensive display, most low end e/AH-IPS have better out of the box gamma.

Falconetti all you are really saying is that you bought it and like it, how about some more useful impressions? How does it look compared to your previous display? If the gamma is low on yours you should be able to differentiate between the first few boxes fairly easily:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

Megalith will likely hate any LED back-lit IPS/PLS display he uses.

Last edited:
The lag differences would be noticeable to casual gamers if they got to test both side by side. The VP2770 has a normal contrast ratio for a 2560x1440 display, it's average, not mediocre. The Eizo is somewhat of a freak in terms of contrast but the gamma is mediocre for such an expensive display, most low end e/AH-IPS have better out of the box gamma.

Falconetti all you are really saying is that you bought it and like it, how about some more useful impressions? How does it look compared to your previous display?

Megalith will likely hate any LED back-lit IPS/PLS display he uses.

I think we already established based on the Prad review that the out of the box values for the sRGB mode was mediocre and that includes the gamma. But once calibrated Prad was satisfied with the result and In the end gave it their highest accolade "Sehr gut".
I myself paid 932 USD for it and wouldn't call that expensive, but I guess everything is relative. Had I however paid the premium for a ColorEdge display I would have expected better color presets.

Sure I bought it and I like it, and recommend it wholeheartly to others who can get a good deal on it and are fed up with poor quality control of most displays out of China. I regularly visit this forum so if you want to know something specific just ask away and Il try to answer it. Btw. how do you like your VP2770 and how does it compare to your previous display ? Mine compare great to my previous displays.

I've only owned Viewsonic models since back in the 90's. I swore by them and was a avid Viewsonic fan. The Eizo is a pleasant intruder and are more than welcome to stay ;)

I don't have the Viewsonic yet, it was OOS from Amazon but they are the only Canadian retailer selling it that does not charge restocking fees and for return shipping so I can wait... and I still have to deal with Samsung exchanging my 850D.

The Eizo is 1000$ here, the rest of the sRGB 2560x1440 displays go for 630-800$ (Canada/US) depending on sales so I would consider it expensive.

If the gamma is low on yours you should be able to differentiate between the first few boxes fairly easily:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

Any gradient banding after tweaking the settings?

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

All of the 2560x1440 displays I've used (S27A850D, 2720MDP, PB278Q) except for the U2713H show gradient banding after calibration.

Back