Effects Physics & Gameplay Physics Explored @ [H]

Brent_Justice said:
I've seen ATI and NV show off demos of the technology. They've shown objects interacting with other objects and getting good framerates, ATI showed off a 20,000 object demo at Computex with high framerates. A few pics here http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA3OSwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

20.000 compared to 533,000/sec sonvex-convex collisions and 530 Million/sec sphere-sphere collision on the PPU

Terra - Sorry, not impressed...

ivzk said:
Wow, Terra you said I think. Maybe if you put that disclaimer on 80% of your posts, you wouldn't come off as such a fanatical Ageia viral marketer you may or may not be.

NVIDIA uses viral marketing...
ATI uses viral marketing...
AGEIA dosn't to my knowlegde?

Terra - I have never had any contact with anyone from AGEIA...PERIOD!

Terra said:
20.000 compared to 533,000/sec sonvex-convex collisions and 530 Million/sec sphere-sphere collision on the PPU

Terra - Sorry, not impressed...

Yeah but how many can you render? ATI can render that many in a shot dosn't mean they can't do more calculations then that.

jimmyb said:
That's exactly what you would say if you were a viral marketer.

I wish I where.
Then I didn't have to pay for my PhysX :rolleyes:

/Offtopic:

I got my Mobo RAM'ed a LOT faster than I thought, so if I get VERY absent, it because my new rig is going to get busy gaming! :)

Pentium D 950
Corsair TwinX 2x1024 MB PC3200 (2-3-3-6)
Asus P5P800SE
Gainward 7800GS Bliss 512MB AGP
X-Fi Elite Pro
Asus PhysX P1
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/3923/pic02zl8.jpg
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6633/pic01ja9.jpg

Terra - Off to testing and gameland...see ya :D

Is viral marketing OT?

Who is to say that you ATI/Nvidia pushers are not viral marketing?

Hidden ageanda IMO. Viral marketing v. Viral marketing: you think that if you cut to that chase first, you will be immune to it yourself.

jimmyb said:
That's exactly what you would say if you were a viral marketer.

QFT

And cyks, it was Terra throwing the viral marketing accusations before anyone else. I don't think I need to find the thread for you. You were more than vocal in the that thread.

Terra said:
I wish I where.
Then I didn't have to pay for my PhysX :rolleyes:

/Offtopic:

I got my Mobo RAM'ed a LOT faster than I thought, so if I get VERY absent, it because my new rig is going to get busy gaming! :)

Pentium D 950
Corsair TwinX 2x1024 MB PC3200 (2-3-3-6)
Asus P5P800SE
Gainward 7800GS Bliss 512MB AGP
X-Fi Elite Pro
Asus PhysX P1
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/3923/pic02zl8.jpg
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6633/pic01ja9.jpg

Terra - Off to testing and gameland...see ya :D

None of those pictures show a reciept.

jimmyb said:
This is very suspicious.

You know whats even more suspicious is the story of Terra and his old pc.

He just recieved his card (although he has been posting atleast a week before hand about how great Ageia is and junk). Then a day after he gets his card his whole system goes poof. *scratch this he had the 7800gs in his system which could play the game at descent fps although i am sure the Ageia card wouldn't help much*. Now he has this massive setup although with a AGP video card. To me it's kinda weird.

So the moral of this story is don't buy Ageia they blow up computers.

jimmyb said:
I wasn't trying to suggest that you were a viral marketer. I was just trying to point out the futility
I don't know who started it, but I can see that Terra is accused the most, and there is nothing more pathetic than watching these pro ATI/nvidia players accuse anyone else but themselves of viral marketing. The irony is killing me.

So GPU support Gameplay Physics. But Ageia runs upfront. Already some PhysX games out. HavokFX runs behind. Still Waitin on the first games. And this later first one games will not be with gameplay Physics. For that we must wait a lot longer. Years?

For Ageia Plans to unviel it takes a year for al those 60+ games to hit the market. Or a larg part of those. Most of them ar already a year or more in development. The hadstart.

So the first flok of Physics games are PhysX games supporting the Ageia PPU.

Ageia must make good use of this opertunity to make a solid stand. And that depends how poulair and if the market picks up a lot of this new Physcs games. Where a few will have Gameplay physX. Till the copetition comes out.

For Havok FX Gameplay Physic we must wait a lot longer. First the effects only wich come almost a year later. Then they must shift to gameplay Physics. thats a much longer wait.

If Ageia is sucsesfull with Gameplay PhysX havok could put gameplay Physics upfront. when it is so far DX10 hardware will already be there. R600

So it still the waitin game for physics games.

I wonder if ageia can pull it off. That depend if some of those game take good use of PhysX.

Good read there, yes there are lots of fact, but lots of annoying PR at the same time...

Notice how ATi keeps going back to the point about gameplay physics is not important now and that effect physic can get the job done? fine if they want to mention it once, byt they repeat the same thing when they was asked a direct, simple question if their hardware can support gameplay physic, its just a yes or no...

As for havok, they've already talk more than enough for their PR. They need to start getting game titles under their belt. I'm not getting an SLi setup or a 3rd ATi card just to sit behind my system reading all their PR slides...

Nevertheless, its good all this confusion about gameplay physics and effect physics confusion is cleared up. We as consumer has read enough about this physics, its time to actually experience it...

Hornet said:
Nevertheless, its good all this confusion about gameplay physics and effect physics confusion is cleared up. We as consumer has read enough about this physics, its time to actually experience it...

QFT.

It this was about the R600 or the G80, people would be laughing them out and [H]ard would post stuf like "we are not your PR-bithces"...
But somehow they are allowed to spew PR...with nothing to back up their claims when it comes to physcis :confused:

Terra - And even for 9-12 moths more....double-standard is what I call it...

R1ckCa1n said:
Come on guys. Take the thread as humor rather than personal insults.

Trust me, I have nothing but laughter towards the ATI/NIVIDIA/Havok PR...

Terra - And I'll keep laughing untill they some something...besides empty PR...

One explaination I'd like given to the Extra PPU is, how in the world will this effect gameplay to the fullest? I noticed the graphs/charts/bm's and increments of progression have been achieved...At least 2-3 fps difference, the lighting, etc.

I just want to know how in the hell can anyone find that (literally) new technology that has only been out for the past 2-3 months (Let alone bad pr, as well...the company has some bad experiences so I hear..) make such a boost in the gfx industry?

As for the Physics card and games in general; I rather have a game that can become as immersive- tactically/addicting as well as somewhat made for eye-candy...It seems with all this ranting on $300+ (extra) cards the gameplay is taking a major blow...A whole excuse of the so-called 'realism' scam is starting to tick me off...

Is there any way of finding the exact calculations and product analysis of the ageia cards? Other than White Papers and Review??

Fragmented, as well as coming off as 'illogical',
-Pariah

pariah said:
One explaination I'd like given to the Extra PPU is, how in the world will this effect gameplay to the fullest?
The fullest extent will merge effects physics into gameplay physics so that everything is done in realtime. Just because some physics (effect physics) don't affect gameplay...; doesn't mean that gameplay cannot affect the physics. The goal would be just physics: not gameplay/effect physics-- just physics. You can thank ATI/Nvidia for the effects physics vs. gameplay physics fiasco.

cyks said:
The fullest extent will merge effects physics into gameplay physics so that everything is done in realtime. Just because some physics (effect physics) don't affect gameplay...; doesn't mean that gameplay cannot affect the physics. The goal would be just physics: not gameplay/effect physics-- just physics. You can thank ATI/Nvidia for the effects physics vs. gameplay physics fiasco.

Thats the exact confusion I had when reading from tom's forums, as well as my own confusion in regards to how the effects of physics were put into play.

One question in regards to 'physics' (generalized as a whole):
How much change/improvement is truely seen though in the games that are particularly available at this time? From the benchmarks and actual visuals/videos I only see minute effects change; which in-fact have no actual bearing in gameplay/enjoyment...It seems this is merely for the sake of eye-candy and nothing more?

Immersion...I find it to be somewhat middle of the road and not to groundbreaking...

I just hope that in the coming year this idea is refined...

As Tom's Hardware mentioned, about how ATI' had demo's and benchmarks/info at the past presentation, it seems there is (A LOT) of room for improvement.

pariah said:
How much change/improvement is truely seen though in the games that are particularly available at this time? From the benchmarks and actual visuals/videos I only see minute effects change; which in-fact have no actual bearing in gameplay/enjoyment....
The best improvment in todays games would be offloading the CPU, but since CPU optimization was key to those games' physics (cheap physics), not much is improved.

Terra said:
Trust me, I have nothing but laughter towards the ATI/NIVIDIA/Havok PR...

Terra - And I'll keep laughing untill they some something...besides empty PR...

Actually, this is what I was referring to in my comment. Seems like you are a good target right now.

AtomicMoose said:
This is not going to turn into a "Dump on terra" thread

pariah said:
Thats the exact confusion I had when reading from tom's forums, as well as my own confusion in regards to how the effects of physics were put into play.
Well it would be good to read that to. sound that Tom is more against Ageia. would check that out.
One question in regards to 'physics' (generalized as a whole):
How much change/improvement is truely seen though in the games that are particularly available at this time?
I would not fixate much on what out now. You don't judge or come with hard conlusion who wins at a start of a race. It's to early. It's the waiting game what dev will do With Physics.
From the benchmarks and actual visuals/videos I only see minute effects change; which in-fact have no actual bearing in gameplay/enjoyment...It seems this is merely for the sake of eye-candy and nothing more?
Get use to it. the easy way of puttin Physcs in it is effect Physics. So expect the most Hardware Accelerated phsycs games to be effects Physics only. HavokFX only support effect Physics. They made that choice for the dev's. So the large crop of games including Ageia PhysX games would be effect only. With hopefully some exlusions in the ageia camp.
Immersion...I find it to be somewhat middle of the road and not to groundbreaking...
Effect could add a lot to emersion. the more detail and high effects that add to imersion could work very positive. Altho Gameplay Physics has my interrest I don't say no agians effect Pjhysics.
I just hope that in the coming year this idea is refined...
Not Idea's But Dev's and there Game project put good use Of Physics so that is adds much to it. So it depends very much what de Dev's are doin with it.
As Tom's Hardware mentioned, about how ATI' had demo's and benchmarks/info at the past presentation, it seems there is (A LOT) of room for improvement.
Must read that to.
But it all about the physics games that are comming in a year.

Back