Eclipse's Memory purchasing guide

Weird.

Micron seems still to be having a bit of a prob.

G.Skill as well... Eclipse conspiracy?

I just tried a pair of G.Skill (ddr 400 the red heatspreaders) and the Biostar didn't detect... I did buy it used... but I will try with 2 different modules later tonight.

I'm not liking the Intel side oF OCing, DDR 2. With AMD it's sooo easy. Hopefully things will change a bit with future hardware.

yeah, it seems that g.skill's sticks are getting a bit sketchy in some cases. usually good though?

micron's issues seem to have gone away, and they still have the entire performance ddr2 market by the balls.. minus a few scattered chips from elpida :p

Yeah, I can't wait till FedEx comes by tomorrow. I really want my Ballistix, now that I have no GF anymore. :(

aw, sorry to hear that bro. i hope the ballistix is a good replacement. might be more picky about how you smell though :p

LOL

Ballistix can't do anywhere near what a GF can do... on the other hand it does whatever you tell it to do... :)

Noticed newgg isn't selling a lot of Ballisitx stuff anymore

(cf)Eclipse said:
aw, sorry to hear that bro. i hope the ballistix is a good replacement. might be more picky about how you smell though :p
Yeah, well, I'm drowning my misery with a few PC upgrades.

Damn! 1GB is sooo nice. Everything is smoother, and this is the first time having over 512MB really felt better. Fired up Quake 4 and wow...it was awesome. I also picked up an MX518 to play with.

whats the best 2x512 PC3200 i can get for around $80 shipped?. I have kingston value ram right now 2x256, I need to go up to 1gb, not sure if should just get the same.

The ram i have now is running at 208, 227 was the highest i tested(new to OC)

X2 4400 @ 2.5ghz
asrock dual sata 939

very nice guide and very indepth! Quick question, what would be the best ram for a p4 2.8 ghz with a 478 mobo? I'm looking for just 1 gb here, thx!

I'm about to do an AM2 build getting ready for the new quad cores (hopefully, if the info on the hard has is right) and I want to know what the best 2GB is available, I'm willing to go to 400 smackers and I want to do it on the new CrossHair from Asus which supports DDR2 800 ram with an AMD 5000+. Speed and reliability is what I want. Your time and consideration is much appreciated.

I do want to OC, I do not game on my PC but I do photo edit and am getting into some video stuff.

Hello guys, need some help. I am going to upgrade my computer from Athlon 64 3200 Venice 939 to a Intel Core 2 Duo. I am betraying AMD this time, last time I built an Intel system for myself was 1998 which was a Dual P3 Xeon and Quake 3 arena looked good on it. As some of you guys know I like overclocking, so please help me choose the best motherboard to overclock core 2 duo. I have always favoured nForce boards, since Nvidia started making mobos. Right now I am running my A64 on MSI K8N NEO 4 PLATINUM SLI. So I am more thinking about going nForce route again but their best board for C2D i.e. 590 sli intel edition has not released yet.

I did some research already and looks like Asus P5B and E6300 C2D would be a good choice. Asus P5B and not Asus 975x chipset because I will upgrade to nForce 590 Sli Chipset as soon as it is released. So far according to my research P5B is one of the best overclocking boards with new Bios.

Now I am at choosing a good 2gb DDR2 kit. I plan on overclocking the shit out of E6300. I had my A64 3200 runing from 2000mhz to close to 2700mhz@490FSB with Kingston Hyper X.

Please help, your Overclocker Buddy.

RISCmaster said:
...so please help me choose the best motherboard to overclock core 2 duo.

I'm a total n00b at this, but I found a wonderful list of working OC setups for that CPU over in the Intel Processors forum, titled something like "Conroe Overclocking Database". Probably worth a read before going very far. I seem to remember two motherboards dominated the E6300 setups.

djinks said:
I'm a total n00b at this, but I found a wonderful list of working OC setups for that CPU over in the Intel Processors forum, titled something like "Conroe Overclocking Database". Probably worth a read before going very far. I seem to remember two motherboards dominated the E6300 setups.
I was already looking at that database, looks like my mobo and cpu choice is good. I have bought a 2gb kit of OCZ Platinum to go with this setup.

But thanks a lot for your help reply.

I'm going to buy 2x1024 800MHz kit in about a week. Help needed to make a choise between Corsair XMS2 800MHz (not PRO) 5-5-5-12 and Patriot PDC22G6400LLK 800MHz 4-4-4-12. Buying for C2D system on E6600 and Asus P5B Deluxe. I couldn't find any info on that Patriot mem, so I need your advice =)

Eclipse....

I was just wondering...how do you rate your memory?

and I don't mean Everest or Sandra... I mean your own memory. As in "where did I put my car keys?" kind of memory.

Furthermore... can you remember a more pointless post than this one? :D

my own memory is TERRIBLE! just ask my gf, she could probably rant for a day on the irony of it :rolleyes: :p

Gyranthir1 is me also, for some reason I registered twice thinking my original registration didnt go thru... So I registered from another email address.

I managed to snag this:

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
BL2KIT12864AL1005
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820148047 with a $60 off promo code it's 270.98 Shipped!!!!
http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemai...html?CMP=EMC-PR-Bigsaving-I-010907&ATT=Memory

Opinions?!

Yeah, I just found out that deal was going on yesterday.
I need to remember to check the [H]ot deals section more :mad:

Ok I had a pair of OCZ Platinum EL (OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K) go bad and OCZ wants to replace them with this (OCZ4001024ELDCGE-K) plus a USB key as a sweetner. I paid a bunch for the Platinum, is the replacement kit they are offering anywhere near as good as the the Platinum?

to be honest, probably not. i realized that the "good" memory to get changes way too often because of various deals. i can update it to include generic memory info though, like what chips you want :D

This is exactly what I was looking for.

No gskill over here, seems I can only get Corsair, Crucial or OCZ - any idea which would be best for gaming?

Still not sure why same size memory with same latency and similar timings can vary so much in price.

to be honest, probably not. i realized that the "good" memory to get changes way too often because of various deals. i can update it to include generic memory info though, like what chips you want :D

Just update it so that we can use it to figure out what DDR2 memory to buy now that everyone's going Intel. :p Like for a big overclocker, what stock speed to go for (that PC8500 stuff? Lower/Higher?), how important are timings for those things (4-4-4-12 worth it over 5-5-5-15 for $X more, etc etc), and maybe what manufacturers make the good OCing ones (crucial still?).

There is some strange stuff going on with the 1066 PC8500 being sold. Look at Newegg reviews: RAM is internally rated at PC6400 and needs to be oc'd to run at 1066 even though it's rated at PC8500.

My Kingston Hyper-X (2) x 1GB modules won't run at 1066 in my Giugabyte MA-790FX, other having the same issues.

and here is the same thing with a completely different brand:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820145033

WTF is going on?

This issues is prevelant for users of both AMD and Intel systems!

What brands actually run at 1066? Well I guess we have trial & error since they are claiming they should do these speeds.

DC

because ddr2-8500 isn't an official JEDEC specification, they rate the memory with something that they know all motherboards will support, and leave it up to the users to ensure that the ram is running at what it should be. less compatibility issues that way ;)

Back