Eclipse's Memory purchasing guide

As of the writing of this article has the recommendations for s754 changed, indeed I am inlove with the pc3200 ballistix.

I do have DFI Lanparty UT 250GB and a 3200+ Newcastle DH7-CG,

what other recommendations does anyone else have for me?

I'm only planning on 2x512 sticks. :)

with all the discussions going on in earlier in this thread, Im wondering whether I should also be worried about those model numbers since im only planning to get Ballistix and you guys were talking about the value ram.

It worries me because there is no RMA for me, I live in the philippines and just having some of my friends buy them for me. :)

hmmm, if you can't RMA, i'd hold off on the ballistix untill whatever issues go away

how much oc'ing do you plan on doing? :cool:

One of my sticks is ruined! Heh. I believe putting 2.9V through it damaged it, despite active cooling. Now it produces tons of errors in Memtest, even at default speeds and voltage. I will be careful next time. I'm only gonna ever use 2.8V, and no more!

Has anyone else killed their Ballistix? Luckily I have one amazing stick left, so it's not all bad.

On another note, you were right about setting tRP to 3 instead of 2, eclipse. My remaining 512 stick is 100% Memtest stable after 32 passes now. It's at DDR512, 2.5-2-3-5, 1T. Great stuff. It has loads more headroom too. My limitation is the processor.

MC FLMJIG said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231034

Couple guys claiming TRAS 0 on some OC's. Sounds hard to believe. They're saying that the gig sticks are rrunning @ddr500 too. Have to be using dividers.

Any benefit at tras 0?

That's not difficult. Mine can also do tRAS 0, I don't wish to run it like that though.

ninjastyle said:
Has anyone else killed their Ballistix? Luckily I have one amazing stick left, so it's not all bad.
a ton of people, sadly. i think micron/crucial put out a bad batch :(
just use the lifetime warrantee and get a new stick :p

hey! I now these are things a n00b would say and yes... sadly, I am very much of one when it comes to memory. about the only thing I know is.

1. always get name brand
2. lower timings = better if no overclock
3 more is better
4. dual channel is better
5. matched is better

thats all really. I don't get the 1t 2t stuff or why one sided is better then double sided.

I will be reading up on it but... I just want to ask... why don't you like corsair? Im running 2x512 pc3200 2.2.2.5. They seem fine to me and im no great overclocker (noob to that too) but i've run the to FSB 235... (my processor was too warm after that... need better cooling!)

hehe, all true points :D

also, it's not that i dislike corsair, it's just that i have a hard time finding any of their products i can recommend over something else because it's better or significantly better.. it's typically overpriced aside from the value ram :p

Quickie,

Can u run a .16tg an an .8td in dual??? I'm sure you know it's Ballsitix! :D

512mb pc 3200

MC FLMJIG said:
Quickie,

Can u run a .16tg an an .8td in dual??? I'm sure you know it's Ballsitix! :D

512mb pc 3200

im gonna say no. ozzi tried it and i tried it with failure. just send crucial a note and they will replace the .8td with a .16tg

i bought a dual from newegg and one of the .16 is no good. Weird. It will work on dimm 2+3 but won't on dimm 1 or works crazy on dimm 4. I tried the other .16 and the .8 and they worked fine.

I'm going to call egg see what we can do. If not then i call crucial... :confused: suks

hmm, issues with dust? i'd give it another shot if it works in some ram slots.

It's a brand new mobo and the other memory stickes works fine... but I'll try again.

I should have listened to you bout those Gskills with black heatspreaders, that the DDR500 would OC better. I would've been happy with 3 3 3 at 250htt but I bought the baby blue ones thining that they should at least do that but the max was 234 for me( I do have to say that memory acts weird. The most I could do and the timings were 2.5 3 2 bringing the V to 2.65. No matter what I did I couldn't go higher. I mean not bad but just wanted higher at 1:1. I used divider and now running at those same timings but at 281htt. :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
hmmm, if you can't RMA, i'd hold off on the ballistix untill whatever issues go away

how much oc'ing do you plan on doing? :cool:

250 on my ram and cpu x 10 at the lowest RAM timings possible. :)

Anyone have any info on infineon RAM? I don't think I will be overclocking .. .so will any RAM be ok for me?

what chips? i know of a ffew fun infineon chips..

they make the utt-bh and utt-ch everyone loves for high voltage, low timing oc's. infineon took the stuff from winbond's bh and ch lines when they took them over.
they also make the CE memory chips that a lot of enthusiasts like in 1gb sticks, CE-6 is the more common speed rating (166mhz out of the factory), it often does 260-285mhz when properly binned.

the rest of the infineon is mostly useless

Tried again and the PC wouldn't even boot up. Weird thing is in Dual channel it would work but want good at ocing.

Anyway later.

i bought a dual from newegg and one of the .16 is no good. Weird. It will work on dimm 2+3 but won't on dimm 1 or works crazy on dimm 4. I tried the other .16 and the .8 and they worked fine.

I'm going to call egg see what we can do. If not then i call crucial... suks

:D

Regarding another previous post.

I was trying 2.9 and higherr but I had to put juice past 1.6 and I didn't feel comfy. Once I get the si 120 maybe I try.

ah, i see. crucial getting you something to replace that dead stick?

also, nice ZX, but a64tweaker bugged out, dunno what speed it's running at :p

2.5 3 2 and at 333 divider :D

i've bought a few opty's from dave and i test them, i resell when I travel abroad, :D best one in my opinion that I had was a Cabye OEM... the Cab2e are good but tend to run hotter.

I shouldv'e listened to you on the black G.Skills :rolleyes:
I listen to you next time... master... heh heh

Eclipse, what the good stuff right now for an Opty 148 CABYE? I don't think I'll be pushing it past 2.8 or 2.9GHz. Board is Asus A8N-E.

Thanks - Matt

Yeah...it's the motherboard that sometimes doesn't cooperate. You configure the BIOS right, you don't even need heavily overclockable memory. See posts #4 & 5.

Stability > All

Eclipse,

Can you recommend some good memory for the following:

AMD 3800+ X2
DFI Expert
Seasonic S12 600w
X1800XT
74 Gig Raptor
400 Gig WD SE16

I've got older memory, the EOL OCZ Gold Revision 2 PC3700 - 2.5-3-3-7 2x512

Was gonna sell it to my friend who's buying all my P4 parts, but if you think it would be just as good as stuff that's out there, then I may hold onto it.

Can't quite figure out if 2 gigs is overkill. I don't play BF2 or Fear. I do alot of video work and image editing and some Flash. Play Joint Ops religiously though.

Thanks!

watch your memory usage in taskmanager while you're messing around with videos, how much do you end up using?

Yeah, you do have a point there. Ok, so assuming 2 gigs is not out of the question, what would you recommend. I am still trying to understand the relationship of the memory and memory controller on the AMD platform, even after reading the guides its still a bit confusing. Because my Intel mind is still telling me I want to overclock the X2 to 2.8, so the memory must either do 2.8 or I need a divider.

But I know that's not the case!!! It's like trying to eat with your left hand, ya know? But using different ratios go get the memory to do DDR400 while having the processor be at 2.8, and that being better than the memory running 1:1 still confuses me.

Anyway....... having thrown the 2 gig option back into the hat, what would you recommend? I've read alot about some problems with Balistix, and that they may not be making the 1 gig sticks anymore. Also read GSkill is good, and the OCZ Platinum EL.

You're the expert, so I'd rather defer to you since you are undoubtedly 'da man.

hmm, it's not that bad once you play with it ;)

for 2gb, i'll reccommend what's in the guide. the g.skill HZ's, rated for 250mhz at 3-4-4, with black spreaders :D

Perfect. Thank Eclipse. Don't you just LOVE spending other people's money? :p
I'll plunk down the plastic for these on Monday, as I have one more purchase to make that day ;)

haha, i actually don't, but at this point, i'm left without a choice. i still feel bad for all the people i recommended ballistix to who ended up getting bunk sticks

:( :( :(

Yea,

Bad Eclipse, bad, bad.

The HZ are nice too. everyone seems to be topping out at about 270ish.

(cf)Eclipse said:
haha, i actually don't, but at this point, i'm left without a choice. i still feel bad for all the people i recommended ballistix to who ended up getting bunk sticks

:( :( :(

..youve helped more people than you have hindered

Wow!!! Who needs Tracers eh?! :D

QUESTION:

Actually it's about ocin :)

Can we use Super PI instead of prime (lots of ram tested) every 30 seconds, to find memory tops on OC? I'm figuring since PI is strictly (I'm assuming) for ram and Prime isn't.

MC FLMJIG said:
Wow!!! Who needs Tracers eh?! :D

QUESTION:

Actually it's about ocin :)

Can we use Super PI instead of prime (lots of ram tested) every 30 seconds, to find memory tops on OC? I'm figuring since PI is strictly (I'm assuming) for ram and Prime isn't.

use spi for a guess of highest speed, then for the real test...windows memtest. http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ THING IS A BUCKNASTY RAM STRESSER!

guys help me out here i'm ready to pull the trigger,
i have an intel rig ic7-g 3.0ghz i can get 2x512mb sticks but i need to know which is better?
micron 5g or 5d...?

i will be picking these locally at bestbuy from a kingston or pny pouch.
The brand on the packaging doesn't matter to me i need to know which will OC better.

well, the ballistix are kinda out due to some reliability concerns. teamgroup cronus, if you can find them anywhere ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
well, the ballistix are kinda out due to some reliability concerns. teamgroup cronus, if you can find them anywhere ;)

After the Chinese New Year :)

Back