Eclipse's Memory purchasing guide

I'm out of the country and bought my PC with me/ Loving thos G.Skills... however I wanted to sell my PC(big hassle bringing it back to the states) and ppl want it with my G.Skills... :(

Im going to rebuild but it will be in about 1.5 months... I was tempted before with the Crucial DDR 500 1GB but... I'm a tad hesitant. I'm leaning towards the G.Skills gain though I have also seen the Crucials drop down a BUNCH in price... dilema. :(

is this specific CCUABIDExORxDIE?

1 LITE-ON Black ATAPI/E-IDE DVD Burner With LightScribe and 5X DVD-RAM Write
$54.99
1 Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L250R0 250GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive -
$98.00
1 Acer AL2416Wd Silver 24" 6ms gray-to-gray Wide Screen LCD Monitor - Retail
$929.99
1 DFI LanParty UT RDX200 Cross-Fire Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire AMD Motherboard
$165.00
2 POWERCOLOR 1900XTX512MB retail Radeon X1900XTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
$1,218.00
1 Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Platinum 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card -
$185.00
1 Rosewill RP550-2 ATX 2.01 550W Power Supply - Retail
$64.99
1 Creative GigaWorks S750 700 Watts 7.1 Speaker - Retail
$429.99
1 AMD Athlon 64 FX60 Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model $1,019.00
1 Microsoft Windows XP Professional X64 Edition 1 package - OEM
$142.95

now all I need to know is what is the best ram money can buy?

god damn....im jealous....that rig....sooo good! be warned, the RDX has issues killing cpus though.

and for ram, youll be surprised, but the 2gig Gskill pc4000 kit. its one of the best, the others being Team Extreem Cronus pc4000 ram or OCZ EB 2gig kit or Mushkin Redline pc4000 2gig kit. those are the best you can buy.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
and for ram, youll be surprised, but the 2gig Gskill pc4000 kit. its one of the best, the others being Team Extreem Cronus pc4000 ram or OCZ EB 2gig kit or Mushkin Redline pc4000 2gig kit. those are the best you can buy.
agreed. i'm kinda biased towards the cronus though. i have a set that rocks hardcore

I have one 1gb stick of crucial value FBGA 5b-D and one 1gb stick of crucial value TSOP 5b-D paired they clock really well for cheap 1gb sticks.. I can run 250Mhz 3-3-3-7 1t memtest stable on both of them, indivudley and paired in dual channel.. but they look funny together (like a little white guy married to a big black women)

anyone wanna trade either a FBGA 5b-D for a TSOP 5b-D? or the other way around? hehehe...

you dont hafta worry as much with 2gigs though. and Corsair = bad. their LL kits are nothing to be impressed with, high price != the best.

thanks for the info and even more thanks for stating the RDX motherboard could of killed my CPU

are there any other good motherboards with the crossfire chipset that wont kill a CPU?

I have an OCZ 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System, and its memory timing is supposed to be set at 3-3-3-8, which I haven't confirmed, cuz I dunno how to check in BIOS. I want my rig set up to be ideally a gaming computer. I was wondering if I were to upgrade my system, should I buy the same 1GB stick for $93 from Newegg again, or change to a different type of ram. Maybe ones with lower timings? What do you guys recommend?

well CCUABIDExORxDIE says that speed doesnt matter if you have 2GBs so just get another of the same ram stick

Buy the same one especially if u have dual channel. Usually not wise to mix ram

Hey E. Have a question for you...

How much you know on DDR 2?

I'm kind of tempted on these Dual Preslers... but haven't the slightest idea if there is any difference. I also remember them being a bit different to OC too.

Heh heh u sensei :D

cu2cool said:
I have an OCZ 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System, and its memory timing is supposed to be set at 3-3-3-8, which I haven't confirmed, cuz I dunno how to check in BIOS. I want my rig set up to be ideally a gaming computer. I was wondering if I were to upgrade my system, should I buy the same 1GB stick for $93 from Newegg again, or change to a different type of ram. Maybe ones with lower timings? What do you guys recommend?

Kinda a little late reply, and a major thread bump too, but for what it's worth, the ASUS A8R-MVP is a good crossfire board. :)

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2 x 1gb isn't so bad eitther. :)

I Currently have an ASUS A8R32-MVP ATI Xpress 3200 Chipset Mobo Enroute to me from the Egg, (Got it for $226. Shipped 3 day B4 they ran out Weds night & Price Gouging set in, Elsewhere,LOL). I also have an Opty 170, CCBWE 0543 TPMW, (See My Sig for Details), & Was Wanting to Find The ABSOLUTE Best OC Ram for MY Setup, for the Buck, Am Planning to continue to Use Aircooling. I'm Interested in the Newly Announced,OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 2x1024MB Dual Channel Platinum XTC, But I wanted the best kit for OC Speed, BF2 & LOW Latency 1T, What would you guys recommend, What works best for you?

Eclipse; I found some of the New XTC for sale, sent you a link via PM, Pretty pricey tho :(

Larry

Hi All,
I recently changed from a Operton 148 to a Operton 170 and it seems that my crappy Corsair LL ram is holding back my OC.
If I take the FSB above 235 I get errors in Prime95.
I am now going to upgrade the RAM, finally.
From reading this thread it seems that Crucial is the fav for OC'ing but I thought I would check first to be sure.
Basically I am looking for RAM that will allow good OC'ing, FSB above 260 would be great, especially 1:1.
What do you guys advise?

Thanks.

I tried going down to 166 at 2.5,3,3,7 2T at default voltage but it still was not stable.
Followed your OC guide and the RAM locks out at 248 with the DRAM set to auto in the bios so I though I would be able to at least get 245fsb, especially by going down to 166 by I still get errors in Prime95.
Should I reduce the timings do you think or raise the voltage or both.
I have never had a MSI board before (was a big ABIT fan but RMA board in UK put me off) so I am not really that comfortable with the different OC options in the bios.
The HTT is set to 3X.
Any advice mate?

so you mean when you drop the memory ratio, you can't get your cpu any higher?

what's the max mhz you were able to get out of your board?

Reducing the memory timings or ratio means I can get the FSB higher and the PC boots but Windows will not load. I either get a general protection fault (I thought they went out with Windows 3.1) or the system reboots itself before XP loads.
It weird as it feel like that CPU is capable of higher speeds but either motherboard or the RAM is hold it back. I think it is the RAM as it has always been my problem.
I could be wrong though, maybe this 170 is not as good at OCing as my old 148.

I just tried changing the timings to 3,3,8,3 2T at 166mhz and the PC booted at 260FSB but again Windows will do boot.
I then tried increasing the voltages of the RAM to 2.70v and the CPU voltage to 1.45v but again it would not load Windows.
What do you think?

I read somewhere that using 4x512mb sticks is not good for OCing, especially on an AMD system so I have ordered the follwoing:
G.Skill 2GB DDR HZ PC4000 (2x1GB) CAS3 Dual Channel Kit

Hopefully that will help to improve my OC.
Thanks for your help.

Well I finally got that 2 x 1024 OCZ PC 4000 Plat XTC Ram & so far am having troubles getting it to go higher than stock, got several stop errors@ Win XP logon screen, Continous Boot loops, Running it now , As I'm typing this @ default speed & stock timings, VERY Much disappointed in this Ram, So far, My Corsair 3200 XLPro is better, (Ran 2.5- 2.6, 1:1FSB /RAM ratio), So far Seems like I have lots of work to do or an RMA is in my near future :eek:

what are your settings? the new micron 5b F sticks are known to have some weird issues in asus boards (go figure)

(cf)Eclipse said:
what are your settings? the new micron 5b F sticks are known to have some weird issues in asus boards (go figure)
As soon as I figure out how to attach or send screenies i will post, but i am using the stock 3.3.3.8 timings & the Stock DDR 500 speed the only thing is it will not boot into windows @ 2.8v , I have to use 2.85v & I will list A64 Tweaker settings the hard way
Cas latency Tcl 3.0 ------------------Read Write Queue Bypass 8x
Row cycle time Trc 11----------------Controller Mode 128 bit
Row refresh cycle time Trfc 14----------ECC Mode Disable
Ras to Cas delay Trrd 2--------------------2T Timing Disable
Min ras active time Tras 8-------------------Bypass max 4x
Row precharge time Trp 3--------------------Max Async Latency 7ns
Write Recovery Time Twr 3------------------Read Preamble 5.5ns
Write to Read Delay time Twtr 2-------------Idle Cycle Limit 16 Clks
Read to Write delay time Trtw 4-----------Dynamic Idle Counter Enable
Refresh Rate Tref 200 Mhz 3.9us----------MemClk Frequency 200
Write Cas Latency Twcl 1Clk---------------DLL Enable
DQS Skew mode Off------------------------Drive Strength Normal
DQS Skew 0----------------------------------32 Byte Granularity Disable
Mem Clks 0,1,2,3 are all enabled

Turns out after talking with Jimmy @ OCZ Tech support , We determined one of my Ram sticks are bad & I am Cross ship RMAing them back to OCZ, & He said not to expect much more than 260-265 Mhz out of these sticks anyhow, Oh How Bummed I am :(

Hey all,

Looking for a suggestion. My current setup is in my sig. My board will do 310+mhz, my Opteron 170 will do 2.75+ with the Scythe, but the 2GB OCZ EB Platinum won't budge past 250 (500) no matter how I play with the timings and voltage. I'm wondering if I should keep my ram on the 9/10 divider, run my Opteron @ 2.5 (1:1 with ram), or sell the OCZ and pick up some G.Skill like I should have in the first place (try to get 2.7 1:1)? When I get some time away from work I'll run some synthetic benches to see if the divider is hurting me enough to drop the Opteron down to 250mhz HTT so I would be running 1:1 with the ram. Any suggestions / experiance with similar issues? Any help would be much appreciated,

Ðave

You need some PC 4800 memory,(Hard to find in a 2 GB kit), All it means that it's hand picked best of the bunch memory usually PC 3200 or PC 4000 chips, That with some added voltage & loosened timings is capable of doing, Up to DDR 600 or 300 FSB Effectively & that the Ram Manufacturer Warrantees the ram to run @ the advertised speed thats why the faster memory is more Expensive, because of Demand plus Quantity available.
Sometimes You can get lucky by doing the same thing that the manufacturer does, with lower rated ram,with low timings but you risk voiding the warranty & Causing System Instability.

The egg has the 2x512 Ballistix kit at $96 for a promo. I need to hit 250. Is this something I should grab or are they still running into problems.

Stay Away From the OCZ PC 4000 Plat. XTC 2x 1024 Kit for right now, *ESPECIALLY* If you plan to OC them Past 250-255 MHZ! Had to RMA Mine, Had a Bad stick & Was told they are having trouble getting them to OC past 250-255, Must be bad Yield(s)/PCBs or something, So much for these Micron 5b F chips :eek:

Man, Eclipse...I just saw this thread, and combined with some more research, I just order the 1GB (2x512MB) Ballistix...I'm not patient enough to hold out for the OCZ Platinum Rev.2 stuff. Might as well give it a whirl.

slightly OT: I've been sitting with the 310 BIOS on my NF4 Ultra-D. Do you think I'd see an advantage updating to a new BIOS, or should I just sit and let it be?

i'd definitly update the bios to 11-14 ot 3-26 ;)

i also need to update the guide a touch :p

Back