eBay Hardware Brag Thread

The spicy L5640's we got for $350
Damn those were good times

Since they're engineering samples, what can you expect from them in regards to temperature and failures and overclockability?

dam nice.....oc them yet?

These I just snagged today. I purchased another very similar chip (Q19D stepping) for significantly more last week, and my X79 motherboard showed up today.

I will play with overclocking tonight, get some CPU-z validations done, and post a new thread about this build.

I can't wait for the 2P 2011 boards to hit retail. :cool:

I am also surprised that nobody else on the team has picked up one of these cheap 8-core ES cpus yet. These should be fairly overclockable, support SMP, and are dirt cheap if you do it right. Also, it's been confirmed that ASUS motherboards support these out of the box, FYI.

Some boards support a 2.5x CPU strap which would be able to push these chips to 4.5ghz if it worked.

Two come to mind - the L5640s for down to $330 or so, and the G34 6166HEs I picked up this spring for $300 each shipped. These two sets of chips (I had up to 8 of the L5640s and I currently have 8 of the 6166HEs) have accounted for probably 250M+ points since September of 2010.

I got 4 x E7-8860's for just over $2000 not too long ago. Unfortunately, the cost of the motherboard added a bitter aftertaste to the sweet deal.

Not quite in the same league as the ES chips but i managed to get a retail x5670 for £605. not bad considering they retail here in the UK for £1135

These I just snagged today. I purchased another very similar chip (Q19D stepping) for significantly more last week, and my X79 motherboard showed up today.

I will play with overclocking tonight, get some CPU-z validations done, and post a new thread about this build.

I can't wait for the 2P 2011 boards to hit retail. :cool:

I am also surprised that nobody else on the team has picked up one of these cheap 8-core ES cpus yet. These should be fairly overclockable, support SMP, and are dirt cheap if you do it right. Also, it's been confirmed that ASUS motherboards support these out of the box, FYI.

:mad: fail 2.... I had 3 of those and a 2ghz hex... I didn't think they would work on retail boards... :kicks self:

:mad: fail 2.... I had 3 of those and a 2ghz hex... I didn't think they would work on retail boards... :kicks self:

Well, let's wait and see how they do...

For all we know these rhings may not be stable.

HOT!! I snagged those 8-cores! Even cheaper than the two L5640s I snagged last time :D

... perhaps I shouldnt have said anything and just bought them myself....

fuck

Hahaha, no worries, we may be able to work out a deal. Not 100% sure I'm keeping them. I emailed the seller to see if I can find a compatible board--I want to test if they have any headroom for OCing.

Come to think of it, I wonder if those chips are the dual QPI version, as in you can run 2 on one board. If not, they would be no good to me anyways. I mean, they are still a killer deal for an 8 core chip to use in a normal system, especially with a little OC

Those were server only chips, they never filtered that socket down to consumer levels, even like the low end server market really, If I remember right they were designed and marketed to be like 8 socket sets

I tried googling the part number, finding nothing yet

I would say near 2 Ghz, maybe lower, can't tell but found some similar model names with just the last 4 #'s changing, so I'm guessing that since the lower numbers it's probly below 2ghz 8core chip

Those were server only chips, they never filtered that socket down to consumer levels, even like the low end server market really, If I remember right they were designed and marketed to be like 8 socket sets

I tried googling the part number, finding nothing yet

The M/B will cost a small fortune as well.

Since that is a ES you probably wont find it...I think they retailed for around $5,000 originally
The cheapest non-ES I can find is over $1,000...18MB cache...drools

AMD Opteron 6176 - $305 shipped.
It now belongs to firedfly.

buy four of the CPUs from the ebay link for $300. 4p, 32 core Intel for $2200 is a crazy deal.

And then you need enough Registered ECC memory to feed all 4 cpus in quad channel, so there's another couple hundred easily. A case that will fit the board if you don't fold naked, which is another $200. Power supply if you haven't got one lying around is nearly that much again. Some sort of graphics since there's none integrated, maybe another $50. You can tack another $1000 onto that price before it's really a functional box.

Still not a bad deal, but not really a steal either.

And then you need enough Registered ECC memory to feed all 4 cpus in quad channel, so there's another couple hundred easily. A case that will fit the board if you don't fold naked, which is another $200. Power supply if you haven't got one lying around is nearly that much again. Some sort of graphics since there's none integrated, maybe another $50. You can tack another $1000 onto that price before it's really a functional box.

Still not a bad deal, but not really a steal either.

The RDIMMs are harder to find, but not really more expensive than UDIMMs if you know where to look. But yeah - since I went with E7-8860's the total price of the naked build was nearly $4500, which is a lot no matter how you slice it. Graphics are indeed integrated, by the way - Matrox G200 for the nostalgia fans out there.

The Matrox G200 is a very popular server graphics engine.

Also, most multi-GPU xeon boards will have an onboard GPU, often hung off of the PCI bus.

BTW did anyone get the 8 core Xeon 3.0ghz chip @ $600 yesterday?

The Matrox G200 is a very popular server graphics engine.

Also, most multi-GPU xeon boards will have an onboard GPU, often hung off of the PCI bus.

BTW did anyone get the 8 core Xeon 3.0ghz chip @ $600 yesterday?
drool!

Good to see you back PJ. Hope things are going well.

not a great bargain, but I snagged an e5649 for $370.
should be coming online this weekend, with any luck.

Back