Ebay Fraud Help

Andrew_Carr

2[H]4U
Hey guys, just need some advice from more experienced ebayers. I recently ordered a motherboard off a seller and instead they sent me a crumbled up package with some random metal pipes. Then they tried denying my return claim by saying:

"
Hello, We have the shipment details at a box being sent with the dimensions of 15x13x3in. Also it has a weight of 4lbs. The pictures you have provided do not match this at all. You have taken the outer packaging crumpled it up and taken pictures. We have all the weights and dimensions confirmed from FedEx. So this return is fraud. Would you like to close this return or would you like us to take this up with eBay?
"

When I requested the return I couldn't click submit for some reason so I had to do it on mobile, which for whatever reason no longer gave me the "seller sent wrong item" option so I chose "Doesn't Fit" as the best available option. Then I filed a fraud claim with ebay immediately and sent them these photos I had taken of the package.

Is there anything else I can do but wait for ebay to intervene?

Attachments

• IMG_20210325_132606.jpg
    IMG_20210325_132606.jpg
    730 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210325_132509.jpg
    IMG_20210325_132509.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 0
Hey guys, just need some advice from more experienced ebayers. I recently ordered a motherboard off a seller and instead they sent me a crumbled up package with some random metal pipes. Then they tried denying my return claim by saying:

"
Hello, We have the shipment details at a box being sent with the dimensions of 15x13x3in. Also it has a weight of 4lbs. The pictures you have provided do not match this at all. You have taken the outer packaging crumpled it up and taken pictures. We have all the weights and dimensions confirmed from FedEx. So this return is fraud. Would you like to close this return or would you like us to take this up with eBay?
"

When I requested the return I couldn't click submit for some reason so I had to do it on mobile, which for whatever reason no longer gave me the "seller sent wrong item" option so I chose "Doesn't Fit" as the best available option. Then I filed a fraud claim with ebay immediately and sent them these photos I had taken of the package.

Contact them via chat or phone.

what did you use as the payment method? I have dealt with this before. First, if it's paypal open a case with them over the phone, they are very helpful. Second, if you used a CC through paypal you can go through your credit card AFTER the paypal and ebay cases are done if it's not in your favor. Your credit card will 99% of the time side with you.

I know this because I sent a tablet to someone and they came back and siad it wasn't compatible or something and opened a case with Paypal/ebay. They both sided with me that I had described it perfectly in the listing and explicitly said no returns/refunds. The person then went and told their credit card company and I got screwed. They kept the tablet, got their FULL refund, and I ended up out of pocket for shipping costs, ebay fees, paypal fees, and even f'ing taxes on the sale.

Maybe if you can make some good happen from me getting screwed then it's worth it or something?

jeez why bother arguing with a human when you can turn the claim in to Ebay review. Ebay always sides with the buyer.
how old are you that 'always call' is your go too? man i don't feel ancient now.

jeez why bother arguing with a human when you can turn the claim in to Ebay review. Ebay always sides with the buyer.
how old are you that 'always call' is your go too? man i don't feel ancient now.
Not it my case they didn't. I purchased a part for my car and in less than 60 days it failed. I contacted the seller and they wanted me to purchase another "Upgraded new part" for 50% of the actual cost which I declined. The seller's site stated "2 year warranty", but did not want to refund me. I went thru Ebay to file a claim and for weeks they kept saying " Well the seller is willing to work with you on this matter, your case is closed" I spent close to 3 months arguing with the seller I kept repeating myself I did not want another part nor will I pay 50% for it. I just want a full refund. Well that was a lost cause. I had to eat the cost of the part plus taxes/shipping.

"
"

Contact them by phone.

They will tell you to try to contact the seller to resolve the issue. If you cannot resolve it with the seller, Ebay will intervene and refund your money.

what was the seller's rep like? as leery as I am of selling to folks with little to no feedback, I will never ever buy from anyone with less than 99% feedback on fleabay.

what was the seller's rep like? as leery as I am of selling to folks with little to no feedback, I will never ever buy from anyone with less than 99% feedback on fleabay.
Seller has over 6k feedback, 98% positive. I looked at their recent feedback and while it's still mostly positive, there's a lot of shitty reviews too.
https://www.ebay.com/usr/computer-hq

Thanks for the advice everyone. Trying to get in touch with ebay/paypal now.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't think you can call eBay any longer I tried a few weeks ago, best I could do was chat via online chat, eBay will side with the buyer most of the time.

Not enough information given to unravel this.

1. Where did the package come from? Did you verify the shipped-from address belongs to the seller and not a third party? They're in Carlsbad, CA https://chqstore.com/
2. Is the tracking# on the label the same tracking# attached to the ebay purchase?
3. What does the shipping label say for weight/dimensions?
4. Which motherboard / listing? What date of sale?

Based on seller's recemt sales history, it doesn't appear to follow typical pattern of hacked ebay account that ships cheap junk to buy just enough time to make off with a bunch of Paypal payments. On the other hand, scammers don't usually respond the way he did in that lengthy of a manner. But if it isn't a hacked account, strange that an experienced seller makes so many accusations - telling you "it's return fraud" instead of asking himself if he didn't mix up shipments and the label for your Mobo ended up on the wrong package. It's a dumb chess move because it undermines seller's standing in a dispute when ebay reads through your messages and sees him making accusations.

You'll get your money back, it's just a matter of deciphering what happened.

Last edited:
Not enough information given to unravel this.

1. Where did the package come from? Did you verify the shipped-from address belongs to the seller and not a third party? They're in Carlsbad, CA https://chqstore.com/
2. Is the tracking# on the label the same tracking# attached to the ebay purchase?
3. What does the shipping label say for weight/dimensions?
4. Which motherboard / listing? What sale date? Mostly I'm curious if it was a multi-quantity listing.

Based on the seller's sales history, it doesn't appear to follow the typical pattern of a hacked ebay account that ships cheap junk to buy just enough time to make off with a bunch of Paypal payments. On the other hand, scammers don't usually respond the way he did in that lengthy of a manner. But if it isn't a hacked account, strange that an experienced seller accuses a buyer of fraud instead of double-checking that he didn't mix up his shipments, and the wrong label ended up on the wrong package. It's a dumb chess move because it undermines the seller's standing in a dispute when ebay reads through your messages and sees him making accusations.

You'll get your money back, it's just a matter of deciphering what happened.
Yes, the ship from is the same listed on their store and the tracking number matches the tracking number on ebay. Label says 3lbs for weight, can't see any dimensions on it.

The item auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124610244228

They've listed the item again:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-X470-G...244228?hash=item1d03596e84:g:gLUAAOSwAjZgQBjQ

Just noticed an odd thing with the shipping:

1617081904242.png

Last edited:
This is quite the whodunnit. I smell man-in-the-middle package tampering. The seller gave a motherboard to FedEx. Somewhere along or on the edge of FedEx chain of custody, someone was looking for expensive GPUs, saw packages from "computer-hq", ripped your Mobo package open since it's dimensionally similar to GPU packages, switches Mobo out for junk parts since he already had it open.

Reasoning: package in your photo looks re-wrapped, by someone in a hurry that didn't give a shit about your package. Seller-premeditated fraud also doesn't splurge on FedEx 2day, the MB is small potatoes, nothing lines up with seller intentionally doing this.

This type of package tampering can live undetected for a while because buyer and seller just assume the other is lying, never crossing their mind a third party tampered along the way. Ebay sides with one or the other, doesn't come back to bite man in middle.

Resolution: call CHQstore's office# tomorrow, saying you bought something from them on ebay that you suspect may have been tampered with before you received it, and you had a few questions for them. Mention the contents were junk instead of the motherboard you expected, and the package looks like it was ripped open and re-wrapped with a tape gun in a hurry. Ask them if they typically add layers of packing tape over their shipping labels, or just the bare label by itself on their package. Ask if they've had recent complaints from buyers on Fedex shipments and receiving junk parts. Ask if their FedEx packages go to or are picked up by FedEx or a third party shipping counter.

If they're not braindead, they'll realize a real scammer wouldn't be calling them trying to figure out what happened. Maybe they'll offer to send a replacement MB, or offer a refund without further contention.

Ask them to open package tampering investigation with FedEx, that you'll hold onto package as evidence and cooperate when contacted. If they aren't cooperative, or give any pushback, thank them for their time and hang up. Then call FedEx and report package tampering. After that, bombs away on brute force ebay/paypal refund - you gave seller every opportunity at that point.

Of course, you don't have to do any of that. You can skip it and head straight to the refund button on eBay/Paypal. But if it were me, I'd want to figure out what happened, even though it's not technically your problem to solve. Finding more facts and evidence could only help the replacement/refund process, and maybe make FedEx aware they have a bad apple messing with packages..

Last edited:
This is quite the whodunnit. I smell man-in-the-middle package tampering. The seller gave a motherboard to FedEx. Somewhere along chain of custody, a criminal inside FedEx or third party was looking for expensive GPUs, saw packages from "computer-hq", ripped your Mobo package open since it's dimensionally similar to GPU packages, switches Mobo out for junk parts since he already had it open.

Reasoning: the package in your photo looks re-wrapped, by someone in a hurry that didn't give a shit about your package. Seller-premeditated fraud also wouldn't be overpaying for FedEx 2day, plus ten other reasons.

Man in middle tampering persists because buyer and seller each just assume the other is lying, never stopping to consider third party tampering along the way. Ebay sides with one or the other, doesn't come back to bite man in middle.

Resolution: call CHQstore's office# tomorrow, saying you bought something from them on ebay that you suspect may have been tampered with before you received it, and you had a few questions for them. Mention the contents were junk instead of the motherboard you expected, and the package looks like it was ripped open and re-wrapped with a tape gun in a hurry. Ask them if they typically add layers of packing tape over their shipping labels, or just the bare label by itself on their package. Ask if they've had recent complaints from buyers on Fedex shipments and receiving junk parts. Ask if their FedEx packages go to or are picked up by FedEx or a third party.

If they're not braindead, they'll realize a real scammer isn't making phonecalls trying to figure out what happened. Maybe they'll offer to send a replacement Mobo, or offer a refund without further contention.

Ask them to open package tampering investigation with FedEx, that you'll hold onto package as evidence and cooperate when contacted. If they aren't cooperative, or give any pushback, thank them for their time and hang up. Then call FedEx and report package tampering. After that, bombs away on brute force ebay/paypal refund - you gave seller every opportunity at that point.

Of course, you don't even have to do any of that - you can skip it and head straight to the force-refund button at eBay/Paypal. But if it were me, I'd want to figure out what happened, even though it's not technically your problem to solve. Finding more facts and evidence can only help in speeding up the replacement/refund process, and maybe make FedEx aware they have a bad apple in the network.
This is a good call. I am actually surprisedy ps5 from walmart made it to me yesterday through fedex. Walmart did such a crappy job packaging it and you could see there was a ps5 in the box.

This is a good call. I am actually surprisedy ps5 from walmart made it to me yesterday through fedex. Walmart did such a crappy job packaging it and you could see there was a ps5 in the box.
Somewhat unrelated -- Amazon literally shipped me an XBox without any packaging whatsoever. Literally just put a shipping label on the xbox and shipped it out. Fortunately it was delivered to the nearest UPS Store.... What a mess.

This is quite the whodunnit. I smell man-in-the-middle package tampering. The seller gave a motherboard to FedEx. Somewhere along chain of custody, a criminal inside FedEx or third party was looking for expensive GPUs, saw packages from "computer-hq", ripped your Mobo package open since it's dimensionally similar to GPU packages, switches Mobo out for junk parts since he already had it open.

Reasoning: the package in your photo looks re-wrapped, by someone in a hurry that didn't give a shit about your package. Seller-premeditated fraud also wouldn't be overpaying for FedEx 2day, plus ten other reasons.

Man in middle tampering persists because buyer and seller each just assume the other is lying, never stopping to consider third party tampering along the way. Ebay sides with one or the other, doesn't come back to bite man in middle.

Resolution: call CHQstore's office# tomorrow, saying you bought something from them on ebay that you suspect may have been tampered with before you received it, and you had a few questions for them. Mention the contents were junk instead of the motherboard you expected, and the package looks like it was ripped open and re-wrapped with a tape gun in a hurry. Ask them if they typically add layers of packing tape over their shipping labels, or just the bare label by itself on their package. Ask if they've had recent complaints from buyers on Fedex shipments and receiving junk parts. Ask if their FedEx packages go to or are picked up by FedEx or a third party.

If they're not braindead, they'll realize a real scammer isn't making phonecalls trying to figure out what happened. Maybe they'll offer to send a replacement Mobo, or offer a refund without further contention.

Of course, you don't even have to do any of that - you can skip it and head straight to the force-refund button at eBay/Paypal. But if it were me, I'd want to figure out what happened, even though it's not technically your problem to solve. Finding more facts and evidence can only help in speeding up the replacement/refund process, and maybe make FedEx aware they have a bad apple in the network.

Totally agree with this. You should be working with the seller to get to the bottom of this and not blaming each other. Present the seller with your evidence- pictures of the packing, tracking label, pictures of the parts received, etc.. The seller looks legit and looks like an Ebay storefront. So they're probably a high volume seller and ripping off a few customers wouldn't do any good to their reputation.

Keep everyone updated as to what happens.

Somewhat unrelated -- Amazon literally shipped me an XBox without any packaging whatsoever. Literally just put a shipping label on the xbox and shipped it out. Fortunately it was delivered to the nearest UPS Store.... What a mess.
there is a warning at check out about shipping in original box and a tick-box to ship in an amazon box, gotta read closer...

This. I'd be surprised if the packaging arriving like that even scanned. The barcode in the picture is messed up and I don't think it would. If the rest of the label is that bad it's a good indicator there was a shipping issue. Doesn't scan, doesn't get delivered. Unless it had already been scanned before the barcode is messed up.

there is a warning at check out about shipping in original box and a tick-box to ship in an amazon box, gotta read closer...
Ahhh --- I guess if I could check out slower when purchasing the series x I would have checked that hahahha. Fair enough! I gotta be more mindful of that from now on :)

I wish there was a list of bad sellers that wasn't owned by ebay. Seller ssagt113 is a MF dirtbag that took my good faith attempt to resolve a damaged in shipping issue and just used it to game the system. I'm headed to the bank to file a chargeback right now. Ebay won't even allow me to leave negative feedback to save others from the pain.

We should start our own list of bad sellers and it can be as simple as a post here on the forum that gets updated.

but did you receive the part or not? because when you don't receive your product then its a easy win.
You didn't read the post, did you? I quote: "I purchased a part for my car and in less than 60 days it failed"

well, i'm trying to understand it at least. From your quote i actually understood that in 60 days it failed to come. Now reading it again i understand that the product failed after 60 days.... English is not my main language ((
Understandable.

That's not really the sellers fault, it's the manufacturers.
Most countries have laws requiring distributors of things like these to warrant the items. You deal with the person who sold it to you, not the guy he bought it from.

my understanding is that if it says "2 year warranty" then seller is covering it. if it says "2 year manufacturers warranty" then the manufacturer covers it.
missed this bit when I was reading on my phone. Makes more sense. But still, if someone listed an EVGA graphics card and put 3 year warranty in the description, I'd understand the seller isn't going to replace it for 3 years.

my understanding is that if it says "2 year warranty" then seller is covering it. if it says "2 year manufacturers warranty" then the manufacturer covers it.

I would describe that as a severely flawed assumption maybe. I would call those two things the same thing..... If the seller was explicitly expressing the desire to warranty the item himself for 2 years, thats one thing, but when an item is listed as say "2 year warranty", that would be the warranty of the manufacturer is how I would interpret that. I know whenever I list items that have a warranty I absolutely include that information listing the warranty length while at the same time not assuming any responsibility or commitment to warranty claims.

I just copy and paste the manufactures warranty wording when I list items, usually including specs, model numbers etc.

Buyers making assumptions on things that end up being incorrect are the buyers fault.... I would also go one step further and say any buyer reading info on a item about a warranty time period would have to be pretty damn stupid to think the seller themselves was giving warranty.

Also, when are ebay sellers responsible for items after 60 day period unless it was listed as a 60 day return policy? The items I sell on ebay always have no return policy, and probably for this reason.

Last edited:
Let me clarify:

I purchased a new part. Installed part and then 59 days later the part failed.
The seller has the warranty listed as 2 years for said part. There is no "Manufacture Warranty" listed
Returns within 30 days.

It was past it's 30 day return policy, so I went with what the seller listed as the 2 year warranty for the failed part
I spent several weeks with the back and forth email dance. Days would go by and they would not respond until I threatened them with legal action
I also started a dispute with ebay about it. I forwarded every email I got from the seller. Ebay's response was the same: " The seller is trying to work with you, case closed"
I wasn't going to give the seller anymore of my money no matter how much of a discount they offered. Their parts are of poor quality and I wanted a refund, but they tried to keep shoving that 50% off discount for replacement part down my throat.
The seller refused to give me a refund and Ebay washed their hands of it. I got fucked and fucked myself for using a debit card.
That is all.

Let me clarify:

The seller has the warranty listed as 2 years for said part. There is no "Manufacture Warranty" listed
Returns within 30 days.

It was past it's 30 day return policy, so I went with what the seller listed as the 2 year warranty for the failed part
I spent several weeks with the back and forth email dance. Days would go by and they would not respond until I threatened them with legal action
I also started a dispute with ebay about it. I forwarded every email I got from the seller. Ebay's response was the same: " The seller is trying to work with you, case closed"
I wasn't going to give the seller anymore of my money no matter how much of a discount they offered. Their parts are of poor quality and I wanted a refund, but they tried to keep shoving that 50% off discount for replacement part down my throat.
The seller refused to give me a refund and Ebay washed their hands of it. I got fucked and fucked myself for using a debit card.
That is all.
Even with a debit card, you may still be able to get a chargeback for fraud depending on the bank issuing the card. The bank fraud departments tend to side with you when merchants act in bad faith like this and is a recourse you should look into, even if it is outside the normal time period because it is fraudulent.

Let me clarify:

Returns within 30 days.

That is all.
1. Don't you a debit card if you can help it.
2. The seller was not obligated to give you a refund past the return period. Under warranty, they would have to fix or replace the part, but they don't have to give you a refund right away, if ever, just because that's what you want. Perhaps you could've gotten a replacement for free, but you were hung up on getting a refund, so your case derailed on that front. That's the risk you take when you buy a suspect part in the first place, unfortunately.
3. You didn't get reamed, you just didn't get what you wanted. Such is life.

I've gotten it both ways - had a Lead Acid battery replaced under warranty 2 month short of 2 year warranty on eBay. Top notch seller. Also had sellers that completely ignored my warranty requests on items outside of eBay/CC case period. That's the risk you take with eBay and/or not well established sellers.

No they don't. I went through this a couple months ago. Fedex never delivered my package even though the tracking said it was delivered.

Fedex told me that the sender had to open a case, which they refused to.

Ebay wanted me to get a police report.... I talked to the police and they thought it as stupid as I did as they won't file a report unless I have proof that the package was stolen.... I was home the whole day that Fedex said it was delivered and not a single person stopped by the house.

So then eBay sided with the seller because the tracking said it was delivered. I tried going through Paypal and the same thing. I then went and filed a claim with my CC company.

LOL - I assume you are the guy who posted the negative feedback about the board?

BTW - if you file a complaint against the seller, in almost all cases, if you get your money back they will not let you leave feedback. That could explain why there's not much negative feedback on there.

No they don't. I went through this a couple months ago. Fedex never delivered my package even though the tracking said it was delivered.

Fedex told me that the sender had to open a case, which they refused to.

Ebay wanted me to get a police report.... I talked to the police and they thought it as stupid as I did as they won't file a report unless I have proof that the package was stolen.... I was home the whole day that Fedex said it was delivered and not a single person stopped by the house.

So then eBay sided with the seller because the tracking said it was delivered. I tried going through Paypal and the same thing. I then went and filed a claim with my CC company.

One small thing I will add to this that you may not have thought of, is Fedex may have actually delivered the package, it just might not have been to your address. The delivery companies are definitely not perfect. I have had multiple packages delivered to neighbors houses by mistake and absolutely had the tracking set to delivered. And visa versa, have had neighbors packages delivered to my house multiple times as well. I actually had a feast of dominos pizza delivered one day to my front door which was for an address 3 houses down, somehow they make mistakes like this. The flaw in your logic there is that the item was never "delivered" when a single person had not been to your house, but it may actually have been delivered, just not to the correct address....

It happens.

LOL - I assume you are the guy who posted the negative feedback about the board?

1617174228757.png

SMH. OP is beyond help because this is indistinguishable from a scammer that didn't get his way.

The seller in question is a business of 21+ years, does 75k-150k+ monthly revenue and ships 400-800 packages. They're not sitting around thinking "what will really push us over the top this month is screwing a random buyer on a $100 motherboard".

Last edited:
One small thing I will add to this that you may not have thought of, is Fedex may have actually delivered the package, it just might not have been to your address. The delivery companies are definitely not perfect. I have had multiple packages delivered to neighbors houses by mistake and absolutely had the tracking set to delivered. And visa versa, have had neighbors packages delivered to my house multiple times as well. I actually had a feast of dominos pizza delivered one day to my front door which was for an address 3 houses down, somehow they make mistakes like this. The flaw in your logic there is that the item was never "delivered" when a single person had not been to your house, but it may actually have been delivered, just not to the correct address....

It happens.

Yeah they definitely could have delivered to the wrong address but Fedex refused to do anything without the seller opening a case with them.

View attachment 343846

SMH. This tantrum is indistinguishable from a failed scammer that didn't get his way. When I first saw this thread I considered if maybe OP was actually the bad actor, who believed some pipe pics would be an easy way to a free motherboard, but then an experienced seller pushed back and he didn't know his next move. But I kept dismissing the idea.

Oh well. This is beyond help. What I do know is the seller in question - a business of 21+ years - does 75k-150k+ monthly revenue and ships 400-800 packages. It is therefore unlikely they're sitting around thinking "what will really push us over the top this month is screwing a random buyer on a $100 motherboard".
Yeah, this looked sketchy from the outset to me too. No trade list for op...

Back