Easiest way to avoid Win10?

• Thread starter Deleted member 108676
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 108676

I have a Windows 7 Machine with auto updates turned on. I've seen all this crap about it auto downloading and sometimes installing shit. Is there a simple, easy way to stop this crap? I'm afraid that one day I'm going to turn on the machine and it'll be running 10. I do NOT want 10.

This shit infuriates me to no end. If Apple were a viable option I'd be on there in a heart beat.

I'm actually afraid I've already started the install of 10 and I'm too far along. This shit is fucking retarded. Fuck you microsoft.

Unplug your ethernet cable or turn off your wireless. Doesn't get any easier than that.

I don't recall Windows 10 as a required update for Windows 7. The worst scenario is to backup your files and do a fresh install of Windows 7.

run as admin in bat file

wusa /uninstall /kb:3065988 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:2976978 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3075853 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3065987 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3050265 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3050267 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3075851 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:2902907 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:2990214 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:971033 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3021917 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3044374 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3046480 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3083325 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3083324 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quiet /norestart

though this is a moving target, the list just keeps getting longer

I think the simplest way is to just avoid clicking on the Upgrade Icon that sits in the tray. For now Win10 is not a forced upgrade. This is the advice I give to relatives and others who have 5+ year old desktops which the upgrade for them would be a lot of pain / annoyance with very limited benefit.

The problem with that is I think Microsoft is going to keep pushing the contents of the update in all updates going forward. So literally every time windows updates, it will push that W10 nag. So either you can A) Go without support and turn off updates, or B) Hide the icon and deal with the nagging.

I gave in and installed W10. I figured I can't stay on 7 forever and I don't like 8.1.

Anti-telemetry software is going to be a growing business...

I think the simplest way is to just avoid clicking on the Upgrade Icon that sits in the tray. For now Win10 is not a forced upgrade.

Depends on what you mean by "forced". W10 is an auto-selected "optional" update that rechecks itself every time your check for updates.

Depends on what you mean by "forced". W10 is an auto-selected "optional" update that rechecks itself every time your check for updates.

What I meant is the Win10 Icon and nag screen is not that bothersome. Maybe it will get more annoying in the future. Although I only see it when working on a machine for someone else. The enterprise Windows 7 that we have installed at work does not do this and I do not have Windows 7 at home.

The Windows 7 updates that prompt 10 are optional/recommended updates.

As long as your updates are not set to install recommended updates the same as important updates, they won't be installed automatically. If you do manual updates, you can just choose not to install the optional stuff unless you know what it is. Almost all optional updates only fix specific issues anyways.

What I meant is the Win10 Icon and nag screen is not that bothersome. Maybe it will get more annoying in the future. Although I only see it when working on a machine for someone else. The enterprise Windows 7 that we have installed at work does not do this and I do not have Windows 7 at home.

The Windows 7 updates that prompt 10 are optional/recommended updates.

As long as your updates are not set to install recommended updates the same as important updates, they won't be installed automatically. If you do manual updates, you can just choose not to install the optional stuff unless you know what it is. Almost all optional updates only fix specific issues anyways.

Microsoft is upping their game:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1878662

I have a Windows 7 Machine with auto updates turned on. I've seen all this crap about it auto downloading and sometimes installing shit. Is there a simple, easy way to stop this crap? I'm afraid that one day I'm going to turn on the machine and it'll be running 10. I do NOT want 10.

This shit infuriates me to no end. If Apple were a viable option I'd be on there in a heart beat.

I'm actually afraid I've already started the install of 10 and I'm too far along. This shit is fucking retarded. Fuck you microsoft.

Resistance is Futile...

Just turn off auto-updates and don't even have it notify you, check for updates manually only and review every update it wants to install. I'm never installing Win10 so Microsoft can choke on a dick.

There is this too.

https://voat.co/v/technology/comments/459263

Script for Win 7/8 to block all telemetry updates and Windows 10 upgrade components

I gave in and installed W10. I figured I can't stay on 7 forever and I don't like 8.1.

You don't have to stay on 7 forever, but you can certainly stay on for five more years - it's supported until 2020, AFAIK. The latest version of Windows when EOL for 7 rolls around will hopefully be a lot better than the privacy mess on offer now.

Anti-telemetry software is going to be a growing business...

Sadly yes, I was going to download Microsoft's free development software as I wanted a cheap way to get an arbitrary integer library, until I read the part about all the data they collect with it. To me that's a price: all the data causes my internet to slow down way too much and of course a potential privacy issue. But I note even the free version includes tools to make it easy to collect similar data in your own software, so I see this becoming rampant in the Windows verse. There is Mono if you want/need to develop .NET without MS tools or things like Lazarus if you want to develop native code, but how long before 90% of programs and every trivial app has this telemetry in it?

run as admin in bat file

Thanks for this. That stupid icon and pop up is gone now. At this point I've turned off auto updates and will check manually.

Will that work as a batch in win 8.1? I have 8.1 on my laptop. Amazingly enough, its not as aggressively annoying on my laptop, but the icon is still there.

You don't have to stay on 7 forever, but you can certainly stay on for five more years - it's supported until 2020, AFAIK. The latest version of Windows when EOL for 7 rolls around will hopefully be a lot better than the privacy mess on offer now.

That could happen. It almost certainly won't, but it could.

Thanks for this. That stupid icon and pop up is gone now. At this point I've turned off auto updates and will check manually.

Will that work as a batch in win 8.1? I have 8.1 on my laptop. Amazingly enough, its not as aggressively annoying on my laptop, but the icon is still there.

don't know, I hated win8 so fucking bad, don't get me started

I just said screw it and disabled updates. Better safe than sorry. My win7 machine is not my primary though and is only used for gaming. My Linux machine is primary.

I just said screw it and disabled updates. Better safe than sorry. My win7 machine is not my primary though and is only used for gaming. My Linux machine is primary.

moving that direction here

when DX12 breaks there will probably be one win 10 box here exclusively for gaming and nothing else

Just keep in mind that some of us who removed the update a few weeks ago have had the same thing come back on it's own. I'd be on Windows 10 if they had a Media Center replacement in it.

don't know, I hated win8 so fucking bad, don't get me started

I ran that batch in Win8 and it didn't brick my laptop and the icon for the upgrade is gone. So, I guess it works.

run as admin in bat file

Is this list still current or does it need updating? I got a new HD, so I installed Win 7 and am updating, keeping these updates out, and just need to know if there are anymore to avoid.

Just keep in mind that some of us who removed the update a few weeks ago have had the same thing come back on it's own. I'd be on Windows 10 if they had a Media Center replacement in it.

you do realize...win 10 has media center as well right?
Capture_zpsnqkzvkbd.png

Last edited:
Basically two options:

1) obey to your masters in Seattle
2) switch to a new master in Cupertino

3) if you want a life of an outlaw go Linux (but avoid Ubuntu, suggest CentOS)

I'm on option 2) with a bit of 3)

Is this list still current or does it need updating? I got a new HD, so I installed Win 7 and am updating, keeping these updates out, and just need to know if there are anymore to avoid.

On a clean install I just de-select the option to "Give me recommended updates...." and then I set Windows update to check for updates but let me choose what to install. This way I only install security updates and nothing optional. So far it's been months and never had a hint of Windows 10 nagware. Done quite a few machines this way and all have been fine.

you do realize...win 10 has media center as well right?
Capture_zpsnqkzvkbd.png

No it doesn't, that's an unsupported/hackish way to install WMC files onto Windows 10 - and not everything works (like extenders), and MS could issue an update that breaks it at anytime. And they don't need to fix whatever if that does happen, as WMC is not supported nor supposed to be on Win 10.

Next time be truthful.

Yes, I saw that but why would I want to run that when I have already used GWX Control Panel?

BTW, just noticed a typo: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windo wsUpdate]

You have a space where there should be none in "WindowsUpdate"

For anyone interested I just came across this portable app that can enable/disable updates and says it supports Win10 too.

http://www.oldergeeks.com/downloads/file.php?id=1454

Win Updates Disabler v1.3
Win Updates Disabler is a very simple Windows OS software that helps you to completely disable or enable Automatic Updates on your Windows system. Moreover, it can help to disable or enable Windows Defender, Windows Security Center and Windows Firewall. Remember that it is important keep your system up to date for security reasons, however, if for privacy reasons or for any other reason you want to disable Windows Updates and the other Windows security services, this little tool is all that you need. This program works fine on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 (32\64-bit).

Last edited:
Easiest?

Disable auto-update, and install necessary updates as needed manually. Better yet, tell MS to stick it and go Mac or *nix.

Win7 is my last version of windows, 7 is annoying enough with its dumbing-down crap.

Yes, I saw that but why would I want to run that when I have already used GWX Control Panel?

BTW, just noticed a typo: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windo wsUpdate]

You have a space where there should be none in "WindowsUpdate"

For anyone interested I just came across this portable app that can enable/disable updates and says it supports Win10 too.

http://www.oldergeeks.com/downloads/file.php?id=1454

Win Updates Disabler v1.3
Win Updates Disabler is a very simple Windows OS software that helps you to completely disable or enable Automatic Updates on your Windows system. Moreover, it can help to disable or enable Windows Defender, Windows Security Center and Windows Firewall. Remember that it is important keep your system up to date for security reasons, however, if for privacy reasons or for any other reason you want to disable Windows Updates and the other Windows security services, this little tool is all that you need. This program works fine on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 (32\64-bit).

It's a copy bug in the forum. The source has it contiguous and when I open it in the forum editor there is no space.

GWX can not easily be deployed and configured via group policy. If you are implementing this for 1-3 machines yes you are correct. Try installing configuring GWX on 100 or 1000 machine. Suddenly my script looks a lot easier... ;)

Back