EA sued over Spore DRM (Not A "Bash" Thread)

Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

That's assuming you uninstall the game before reformatting. I know when I reformat, I don't go and take the time to uninstall every piece of software I installed before formatting, thats the whole POINT of formatting! When I format, Its usually for a good reason and I want to get it done as soon as possible. I don't want to sit there and think, if I re-install, will there be consequences (losing an activation), I just want to format dammit.

I know what they are trying to do with SecureRom, but it is in the crappiest implementation imaginable. Don't punish the gamers who legally purchased the game(s). You'll just end up pissing off more and more people out there, and they'll resort to downloading it illegally.

But I hope for all of our sakes that EA loses and they have to take a step back from the SR crap.

There is no revoke feature?

Guess I wont be buying it then until it hits the bargain bin for $9.95 or STEAM has it for a $4.95 weekend price.

I can wait. God knows with the economy the way it is, buying food may be a better option than giving EA $29.95 for a game I can only install 5 times.

Yeah, cause there's such a huge market for used PC games.

That's a load of last-ditch PR bull and they know it. They never would have said that a month before release, but now that it sounds better than the truth (that they want you to buy another copy when you've used up your installs) they'll say whatever seems like it makes the slightest bit of sense.

It's interesting:
Copyright was originally legislated to improve production of intellectual product. Now it's come full circle and there will be less intellectual product because no one wants to purchase anything without the freedom to use it, intellectual or otherwise.

tell that to employees of gamestop..

Here you have the biggest reason why I quit buying and playing most PC games. It seems like EA is out to screw the PC market as much as they can, the goal being a complete console market. I'm saving the time and effort of worrying about these things, and instead going back and playing through the library I already have, starting with Starflight and X-Com.

I would like to see review sites get together and just halt their reviews half way through and say "we are sorry to inform you but due to secuROM limitations imposed by EA, we are no longer able to complete our review after having reached the maximum number of installations". Just let the games die receiving no publicity.

tell that to employees of gamestop..

+1, for those who really dont read the company balance sheets: something like 40% of gamestops revenue, comes from used game sales..... Gamestop would not exists if it wasnt for the used games market.

Vote with your pocketbook. I quit buying games when EA had crappy support for it's BF2 products.

Pffft... Look here, whippersnapper... I quit buying games from EA when they had crappy support for their BF1942 product. And then they started buying up all their competitors, which is quickly dwindling away my selection of games.

It would be nice if DRM could actually stop piracy. I'll live with some inconveniences if they can actually make it work as intended.

+1, for those who really dont read the company balance sheets: something like 40% of gamestops revenue, comes from used game sales..... Gamestop would not exists if it wasnt for the used games market.

read even further and you'll find those are 99% used console games being traded

I don't care if its freeware. I for one, am DONE getting screwed out of my money by people. Time for them to get screwed out of theirs.

I don't care if its freeware. I for one, am DONE getting screwed out of my money by people. Time for them to get screwed out of theirs.

No one is forcing you to buy games. It's entertainment, not something you need to survive. Don't like a game company? Don't buy their stuff, but it's not a 'green light' to just straight up steal their property.

I am still interested if anyone has any figures on how much proc/mem/disk usage that EA's DRM utilizes. To me it is essential for nursing a system as long as possible to maintain framerates that make my gameplay fun and engrossing. If the DRM software effects this, then I want no part of it.

No one is forcing you to buy games. It's entertainment, not something you need to survive. Don't like a game company? Don't buy their stuff, but it's not a 'green light' to just straight up steal their property.

You know how dumb that sounds?

Its ok for them to steal my money... but not for us to steal theirs?

Thats right, its ENTERTAINMENT... and I don't want to have to work to play my game... and I sure as hell am not going to pay for it twice just because they won't let me install it anymore.

I haven't heard of any games that forced you to buy a second copy in order to reset the activation limit. And IMO, once you hit the activation limit it's okay to use other means to get your software running. The point is that you buy the game the first time--I don't agree with people that think they can play a game through without buying it; it hurts ME in the long run.

You = generally speaking; excepting the people that admit they pirate, I'm not accusing anyone of piracy or promoting piracy, except it seems to be pretty nudge-nudge-wink-wink around here.

read even further and you'll find those are 99% used console games being traded

Exactly, most chains that are now called Gamestop tried doing used PC games a while back. The problem was that without DRM, people would just burn a copy and keep the CD-Key, thus making the original worthless to the next guy, who would return it for a refund, and the store would be out the money.

Now that they are finally "trying" (not succeeding) to do something about piracy, there is no market for used PC games. You can possibly get them on eBay, but eBay is constantly being asked to remove PC software sales. And because of the DMCA, they have to comply immediately. And even if they get all the way to the end of bidding, you still have to hope that they aren't just making a copy and keeping the CD-Key for hacked exe online play.

It sucks to be a PC gamer right now unless you have a large library of old games that you can fall back to until this crap flood washes down stream.

Maybe this is so they can really say see how many people actually bought it to illegally downloaded it. I would say it will probably be a high ratio as I wont buy that garbage, others should not buy it as well to send them a message. Even if part of it is resale of the game I bought it, I should be able to resale if I want to. How many people would pay for a car they couldn't resale LOL. I personally don't resale mine but usually pass them on to my nephew after I'm done with them.

You know how dumb that sounds?

Its ok for them to steal my money... but not for us to steal theirs?

Thats right, its ENTERTAINMENT... and I don't want to have to work to play my game... and I sure as hell am not going to pay for it twice just because they won't let me install it anymore.

Listen, you chose to buy it, you gave the money, they don't have mind control over you and they stole nothing of yours. And if you actually did a little research you would know about the "revoke" system, and the fact they will give more activations if needed. Chances are, most people won't ever need more activations than the ones they were given. What's "dumb" is that people are getting upset and paranoid about something that doesn't happen, or rarely happens. Chill out. Buy it or Boycott it, but don't crap on the game and then steal it. That's hypocritical and it just fuels the flames.

What should I care?

You can side with them if you want. The working man is tired of being pushed around by corporations. Period.

What should I care?

You can side with them if you want. The working man is tired of being pushed around by corporations. Period.

Thats how life is, your mom should have taught you life isn't fair.

Do you pay for car insurance?
Do you pay for Health Insurance?
Do you pay your taxes?
Do you own your own home?
Do you have sex?

All these things are not NEEDED, but are nice to have. You pay for ALL of them (yes even sex, women cost money *No offense intended*) By your logic, none of these are worth it, insurance screw people a billion more times than game companies ever have!!

You logic is just not quite right here.

The working man works his ass off to achive what he wants to achive.

The lazy unmotivated working man thinks he works his ass off and expects people to give him what he wants. This is why the working man above is rich and others are not.

Activations suck on games, but you can only activate windows XP 5 times a year which people don't bitch about anymore, so i'm gonna guess this is a phase.

By the way, when a company goes bunk, the IP is sold to the highest bidder, that company then has to deal with the activation stuff so there isn't anything to worry about here.

Everything else that I pay for... nobody comes and takes back afterward.

You think that is right? Maybe you should live in china.

edit: also, taxes and insurance are required by law. For you to say they are not needed just goes to show how detached from reality you are.

By the way, when a company goes bunk, the IP is sold to the highest bidder, that company then has to deal with the activation stuff so there isn't anything to worry about here.

<sarcasm>Yeah, because when Microsoft (or another company) bought FASA (or another company) they kept making Mechwarrior and Battletech RPG products (or other products).</sarcasm>

Very few purchases of IP are engaged in so the company can continue support on an already discontinued game. If you think that you will be able to install anything from EA, 2005 and later, after they go under, you are deluding yourself.

The fact of the matter is, if they don't want you to, you cannot install their PC games, even after you have purchased them. The good news is that you're not bound by the EULA until you install the game so you can take it back for a refund. I suggest saying that you disagree with the Reverse Engineering clause in the EULA. They almost all have one, and it's technically an illegal requirement, but who can argue with you when you say you had hoped to make a mod for the game?

If you buy a game and find out that it has DRM, just return for a full refund. It's illegal to deny a software return for reasons of an open package now due to the court cases in California that considered the catch-22 of agreeing with the contained license by opening the container to be unconscionable.

Everything else that I pay for... nobody comes and takes back afterward.

You think that is right? Maybe you should live in china.

edit: also, taxes and insurance are required by law. For you to say they are not needed just goes to show how detached from reality you are.

Taxes are by law yes, if you don't they take more from you, unless you have an exempt status, which is possible.

Insurance is not required in ALL states, which is why i included it

Don't insult me cause you can't play your game, and i have never had a game TAKEN from me after i bought it. If that did happen, then i would have a right to be pissed.

In what states is it legal to drive without insurance?

Point is, when I pay for something... its mine. I don't care what it is, no one is going to tell me I can't use it anymore after I've already paid for it.

But haven't we learned from the Nintendo lawsuit in 1991 that usually these things just end up with us receiving a $5 discount on our NEXT EA purchase?

(lawsuits that make lawyers rich and reward the offender with further sales, yay...)

Sure EA, even if they lose will barely get a slap on the wrist, but it's better than nothing. Even though consumers probably won't benefit, at least it's negative publicity and a bit of a hassle for them.

An even worse example is Sony's rootkits. They engage is massive criminal activities and no criminal charges just a small civil suit. Sony can afford enough politicians that they are above the law.

What should I care?

Well then take a stand. Stop being all talk, stealing from the shadows, and openly steal while giving them your name/info and why you stole it. Maybe if enough people did that they would change their ways. But as long as people are being cowards about it nothing will ever come from it but harsher punishments for piracy.

Point is, when I pay for something... its mine. I don't care what it is, no one is going to tell me I can't use it anymore after I've already paid for it.

Software has never been "yours", what your paying for is the license to legally use the software. Think of it like leasing a car; you pay for it, they keep it maintained, but you never own the car. Also, just because you paid money for a game doesn't give you exclusive rights to their intellectual properties (IP). You don't own the data, you're just using it.

So yeah, technically they can revoke your license at any time, just like a drivers license when you drive recklessly, endanger others, speed excessively, etc. Sure you paid for your drivers license, but you don't own the roads.

anyone want to give me the cliff notes on this thread?
  • ____________________
  • ____________________
  • ____________________
  • ____________________
  • ____________________
  • ____________________
  • ____________________

Well, the thread has easily gone off the main topic. But pretty much people are freaking out over stuff that probably won't even happen. And then using that as a reason to boycott and/or steal.

... and people like defsho are thinking its ok for large corporations to dictate what you can or can not do with property that you purchased. Thats pretty much it in a nutshell.

Those of us that want others to control us... and those of us that do NOT. I'd be the latter.

And now Far Cry 2 has the same shit on it. You think these executive business men would have enough common sense to learn from other companies mistakes. Ubisoft was just added to my shitlist and monday I have to go get a friggin refund for my preordered copy at gamestop.

Im praising Bethesda for not implementing this on Fallout 3 (yay). They will have my $50 and I will feel good giving it to thme

... and people like defsho are thinking its ok for large corporations to dictate what you can or can not do with property that you purchased. Thats pretty much it in a nutshell.

Those of us that want others to control us... and those of us that do NOT. I'd be the latter.

He was merely point out the facts, software is not a typical product, it never has been, once software is installed on your PC its just a series of magnetic fields stored on your hard drive, how can you possibly own that? You can't.

When you buy software, you buy a licence to run a copy of that software, you own the medium it came on, i.e you own the physical cd/dvd and the case/manual but the actual software itself you own a licence for, which is only valid while you abide by the EULA, it can be revoked by the software developers depending on exactly what terms they put in the EULA.

No one really supports the idea of losing control over your licence to use software, but in reality, in the legal system, thats how it works. Software is not a typical product, normal product laws dont apply.

Just because someoen knows more than you do, so they can explain that, doesn't mean they're supporting it.

Its definately not that I don't understand how it works, because I do.

I simply don't agree with that type of shit being in a EULA. Its un-american.

Lets take a timewarp back some 100 years or so.

people worked 7 day weeks, without any benefits, without any safety equipment or in an unsafe environment... Then people said no, in some cases people died, and people have died because of games, im not talking Columbine, but the Koreans who game for 36 hours+, stupid, but they wanted/needed it.

Fire safety codes were put into affect after a sweatshop burned down killing many, workers had to fight for a 5 day work week. etc.

Not all of these rules make sense, and some are downright stupid. Others are taken too far, but the general point is, if you believe that you are mistreated, then what do you do? you do something, boycotting is one thing. Suing is another. MS got sued by almost all major world governments....

You bring about change by first bringing to light your needs, then doing something about them. This is fairly minor, but it can easily shape the future. RIAA might just "rent" you that music CD next.

<Slightly political> If McCain/Pail win, there is a very good chance that Roe Vs Wade will be overturned if they get to put a supreme court judge. Abortions will become illegal in US, period. Anyone who aborts or helps with one will be tried as a murderer. This is not a pro/anti but just an example of how things can change</end Slightly political>

And things can change, we can either ride along and then say, "oh we couldn't do anything" or we can do something. If we could do nothing, we would be in China. I say thank you for the freedom to change and shape the future in this country.

Edit/ 7 day work weeks :) not 7 hour days.. Jetsons, here we come :rolleyes:

• ____________________
  • ____________________
  • ____________________
  • ____________________
  • ____________________
  • ____________________
  • ____________________

drm lovers yelling at drm whiners

/thread

Lets take a timewarp back some 100 years or so.

people worked 7 hours days, without any benefits, without any safety equipment or in an unsafe environment... Then people said no, in some cases people died, and people have died because of games, im not talking Columbine, but the Koreans who game for 36 hours+, stupid, but they wanted/needed it.

Fire safety codes were put into affect after a sweatshop burned down killing many, workers had to fight for a 5 day work week. etc.

Not all of these rules make sense, and some are downright stupid. Others are taken too far, but the general point is, if you believe that you are mistreated, then what do you do? you do something, boycotting is one thing. Suing is another. MS got sued by almost all major world governments....

You bring about change by first bringing to light your needs, then doing something about them. This is fairly minor, but it can easily shape the future. RIAA might just "rent" you that music CD next.

<Slightly political> If McCain/Pail win, there is a very good chance that Roe Vs Wade will be overturned if they get to put a supreme court judge. Abortions will become illegal in US, period. Anyone who aborts or helps with one will be tried as a murderer. This is not a pro/anti but just an example of how things can change</end Slightly political>

And things can change, we can either ride along and then say, "oh we couldn't do anything" or we can do something. If we could do nothing, we would be in China. I say thank you for the freedom to change and shape the future in this country.

This is getting so far afield but I can't let this pass. Whatever your personal beliefs, the repeal of Roe v. Wade would not make abortion illegal. Even when abortion was illegal in certain states, in none of them was it a crime comparable to murder. Roe v. Wade being repealed would give each state the duty to regulate or not regulate abortion on their own. Based on polls of support, it would probably be legal in that case in the majority of states.

I weep for the misinformed voter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade

maybe im missing something, but the first three paragraphs explain a lot. abortion was illegal.
If you are a doctor, and dont want to perform abortions (for whatever reasons) then dont. The law allows the freedom to perform them, when there was no such freedom before.

In what states is it legal to drive without insurance?

I like how this post was skipped over for some reason...maybe there is too much truth in it.

Back