• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

EA sued over Spore DRM (Not A "Bash" Thread)

I was eager on getting crysis warhead....but after those comments from reviewers, I decided not to buy it.
On the front page of HardOCP, ----> http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=32656 in regards to FRY CRY 2's DRM. It sucks, but it looks better than's EA's method. However....

It shows like most....if not all, the game companies are going towards using DRMs. Hasn't history taught companies a lesson in regards to the use of DRM? In the case of music. Prolly, the game companies were betting against the odds....the companies thought wrong.

Let the good fight begin!
 
Frankly... I could care less.

They will just make people who WOULD buy the game... like me... NOT BUY IT and get a cracked one instead.

Just like everything else. Hit them in the wallet is the only time they will listen. I have an entire closet full of game titles that I was and am happy I paid for. I like supporting the developers.

But if they want to tell me what I can do with MY property that I paid for... they can suck on it.
 
500,000 illegal downloads in 1 week huh, some good this did, lol

I really wanted, truly wanted, to buy Warhead, for my 9yr old son, since he likes Crysis so much.

But, I will NOT have this crap on my rigs....so EA, eat this. Lost sale.:mad:

Hmmm...I wonder is my son is playing it :confused:

And I WILL be buying Farcry2, since they have a sensible approach to DRM, and I bet they sell a TON more copies that than this suck-u-rom Warhead crapola....


quote:

Some DRM points that will hopefully answer some of your questions and will clarify some misunderstandings about our DRM and SecuROM:

- You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

- You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)

- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.

- Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you’ll always be able to play Far Cry 2.
 
Well im glad i didnt buy Warhead i hated Crysis snyways, I did buy warhammer and as far as i know everyhting is working A-OK on my PC. All this is just gonna drive game makers to the consoles, and as of right now the consoles are all hacked anyways ( Except for PS3 which is almost Haxxed) so i wont support any game that sucks major ass like Spore or Warhead.
 
This is not stop people from pirating games. Only to kill used game market...

Yeah, cause there's such a huge market for used PC games.

That's a load of last-ditch PR bull and they know it. They never would have said that a month before release, but now that it sounds better than the truth (that they want you to buy another copy when you've used up your installs) they'll say whatever seems like it makes the slightest bit of sense.

It's interesting:
Copyright was originally legislated to improve production of intellectual product. Now it's come full circle and there will be less intellectual product because no one wants to purchase anything without the freedom to use it, intellectual or otherwise.
 
In the end the claim is an undisclosed install of secureRom that is part of Spore (which was consent to install). I mean if this seriously went in favor of the plaintiffs then almost every piece of software is going to be in violation of this.. Look at your basic OS system for example (Vista, XP, OSX).. do they fully disclose all "stand alone" programs? did vista /xp disclose it was going to install "cmd.exe" when you install the software or looked on the back of the box?
.


big difference, you buy windows they coded it, UbiSoft did not create and code SecureRom it is a 3rd party application from a separate company

Windows is made by Microsoft, all of the products that are in it, are made by microsoft. Now if when i installed windows they installed Nero and OpenOffice with out warning, then i could sue.
 
Vote with your pocketbook. I quit buying games when EA had crappy support for it's BF2 products.
 
I really wanted, truly wanted, to buy Warhead, for my 9yr old son, since he likes Crysis so much.

But, I will NOT have this crap on my rigs....so EA, eat this. Lost sale.:mad:

Hmmm...I wonder is my son is playing it :confused:

And I WILL be buying Farcry2, since they have a sensible approach to DRM, and I bet they sell a TON more copies that than this suck-u-rom Warhead crapola....


quote:

Some DRM points that will hopefully answer some of your questions and will clarify some misunderstandings about our DRM and SecuROM:

- You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

- You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)

- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.

- Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you’ll always be able to play Far Cry 2.
Change it to UNLIMITED ACTIVATIONS and I think everyone will be fine with it. Allow the revoke option, BUT INCREASE IT TO UNLIMITED ACTIVATIONS. Limiting the number of uses is what is pissing off every customer. Limiting the number of activations only labels the consumer as the criminal. Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty" in this country?
I am so pissed off right now. The news that Crysis Warhead and FarCry2 now have these "activation limits" has effectively ruined my day.:mad:
I have lived with this SecurRom Bullshit for years, but this shit has to stop. If I had a decent amount of money I would join the lawsuits and help fund the lawyers. But instead, I'm middle class, and I have to deal with getting rammed up the ass again.
 
I recently had Clear Sky refunded to me for these reasons. I knew it had activation limits which I was ok with. Then like 2 days afterwards, steam updates the game for me and now I am asked to install a driver in order to play the game. No driver install = no play game.

No where on Steam does it tell me that this was going to happen nor did anywhere tell me that this was going to happen. I took about a week to get Valve to refund it because they kept trying to give me the run around but since they distributed it, it should be up to them to explain to the consumer all this stuff and give a refund if they don't. DRM is killing PC gaming but I think companies are getting to the point where they won't want to deal with us (pc gamers) anymore.

Sucks you had to resort to a hacked exe just to play the game. Companies should look at that statement alone and have a burst of common sense and go DUH that was dumb of us but alas they won't. It's hurting gaming, it's hurting them and it's hurting us. I buy lots of games, but I sure as hell won't anymore if they include this kind of crap.

Again, activation limits I am ok with as long as you can get back an activation on an uninstall. The hidden "spyware" should no be allowed at all.
 
You walk in the store and pay for an item. Take it home... and after you move to a different house, the store comes and takes it back without your permission.

That is essentially what this is like.

Somebody tried that with me... they'd get shot. I hope they like making games and not getting paid for them... because NOBODY that I've talked to will purchase this game because of this. They will all pirate it.
 
UbiSoft Spokesdroid said:
- You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

- You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)

OK. Something I thought about yesterday but I don't know has been addressed is if this is double-tongued marketspeak. Does this mean, cleverly, that we can revoke/install as much as we want, but only on three machines total? So if I install on box A, box B, then upgrade to box C, does that mean I will never be able to install on box D even if I completely revoke/uninstall from boxes A, B, and C?
 
yup and i wont be buying ANY pc games if this is there attitude. glad i have a ps3 for my gaming needs even though i prefer games on pc but meh, better then nothing
 
- Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

Provided that you are connected to the internet and the 'phone home' revoke makes it back to the servers. If not, there goes one activation.
- You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)

Unless of course if that the upgrade is due to hardware failure, in which case there goes another activation. Oh, and you better hope Windows stays nice and stable for you while your at it.
- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.

After a lengthy process of validating proof of purchase... hope you saved your receipt!

- Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you’ll always be able to play Far Cry 2.

If Ubi was committed to the CUSTOMER, they wouldn't put it in to begin with.
 
Provided that you are connected to the internet and the 'phone home' revoke makes it back to the servers. If not, there goes one activation.


Unless of course if that the upgrade is due to hardware failure, in which case there goes another activation. Oh, and you better hope Windows stays nice and stable for you while your at it.


After a lengthy process of validating proof of purchase... hope you saved your receipt!



If Ubi was committed to the CUSTOMER, they wouldn't put it in to begin with.
wow are you serious? how people could be ok with this is beyond me. lads save £300 and get a ps3 or even a 360 to enjoy your gaming needs or go down the dirt route and pirate the game
 
Not only do these problems affect the consumer but they also affect the video card market or any other hardware geared towards gamers.

You would think that ATi/NV would speak up.
 
Not only do these problems affect the consumer but they also affect the video card market or any other hardware geared towards gamers.

You would think that ATi/NV would speak up.

No it doesn't. We'll still play the game... we just won't pay for it. :) I still need a video card.
 
Review websites like HardOCP and gaming websites have the power to pressure for change on behalf of gamers if that's what gamers want. Wouldn't be great if such a website said "We can no longer recommend any company that incorporates very restrictive DRM." or "Due to restrictive DRM we are unable to review this game fully and therefore will not be including any game with restrictive DRM in further tests."

Gaming and review websites should poll their userbase and take a stance on gamers behalf if it turns out that mostly everyone wants DRM lifted. Look how much negative publicity turned the music download industry around.

Something to think about, yes? :)
 
big difference, you buy windows they coded it, UbiSoft did not create and code SecureRom it is a 3rd party application from a separate company

Windows is made by Microsoft, all of the products that are in it, are made by microsoft. Now if when i installed windows they installed Nero and OpenOffice with out warning, then i could sue.

Not quite true. Application developers, like most people, don't like doing any more work than they absolutely have to. Also, because some technologies are patented, there is occasionally no choice but to use a third-party component. In the gaming world, rendering/gaming engines, audio processing/output libraries, and graphics libraries are common examples of this.

Even Microsoft has used third-party components in their products-- one of the most (in)famous examples being the "defrag" utility shipped with MS-DOS 6.0, which was licensed from Symantec.
 
Review websites like HardOCP and gaming websites have the power to pressure for change on behalf of gamers if that's what gamers want. Wouldn't be great if such a website said "We can no longer recommend any company that incorporates very restrictive DRM." or "Due to restrictive DRM we are unable to review this game fully and therefore will not be including any game with restrictive DRM in further tests."

Gaming and review websites should poll their userbase and take a stance on gamers behalf if it turns out that mostly everyone wants DRM lifted. Look how much negative publicity turned the music download industry around.

Something to think about, yes? :)

NO, Then game review sites would go under, and developers would start to review their own games, just make things worse
 
NO, Then game review sites would go under, and developers would start to review their own games, just make things worse

Game reviews have been publicised for decades now; can't recall a single case over those years where a bad review caused the demise of a games review magazine or website. As for developers reviewing their own stuff, they rely on the publishers PR engine to do all the spin which is simply down to budget as to how much splash is applied.

Independant reviews count. As I mentioned previously the music industry has started seeing the light, so why not the games industry?
 
I hope EA takes it hard in the ass with no lube

thats what u get for canceling a good looking C&C game
 
There's a suspicious folder in my Windows dir, called SecuROM, and inside it is a single 8kb file that is of unknown type and can not be deleted by ANY means, i've tried straight deleting and also third-party data eraser apps. None of those worked.

I cant quite remember which game "gifted" this but all I know is that I cant get rid of it. And I dunno what it does. Pisses me off.
 
EA is pushing people to pirate the games in order to play. Its on the hardocp front page, that Brent had to go get a crack to even play the game which he bought legally. Using a crack is still argueably illegal since it circumvents the protections in place by the content provider... GG USA on the DMCA.

I ALMOST bought warhead, I might of picked it up next time I was out. I'm glad I didn't, and I won''t spend any money on games which have this type of proection until the bullshit stops. The suits are so fucking stupid, they run it into the ground and never figure out most of it is their own fault.
 
There's a suspicious folder in my Windows dir, called SecuROM, and inside it is a single 8kb file that is of unknown type and can not be deleted by ANY means, i've tried straight deleting and also third-party data eraser apps. None of those worked.

I cant quite remember which game "gifted" this but all I know is that I cant get rid of it. And I dunno what it does. Pisses me off.

That is why I will not buy any game with SecuRom.
 
I've had to download cracks for several games that I've bought legally to make them work. It's only those who buy it who are affected by these measures anyway.
 
i don't support piracy, but just download the torrent and you don't have to worry about this crap.

just FRIGGIN unplug your network cable!!!!!
 
I've had to download cracks for several games that I've bought legally to make them work. It's only those who buy it who are affected by these measures anyway.

I've had to as well. I purchased the game and my DVD burner installed but could not get by SecuROM. I did get the patch after sending them the dump file, but that took a few days. I had the crack instantly. They also told me any patch to the game that modified the .exe file would mean I'd have to get another .exe patch from them. Unacceptable.

DRM is criminal. It does not prevent piracy but can pose usability problems to those buying it. Besides, a great example of a great game that sold big was Oblivion which had not a stitch of DRM. I'll pay for the games I want to play. DRM should be illegal.
 
99.8% of gamers don't care about DRM? Did he poll the entire world, or is he just pulling that figure from his stupid ass.

I'm gonna hedge a bet on this one and guess the latter, anyone care to agree on that?

While I personally have not bought a game for the PC since WoW, I find it absurd that anyone can state something so overblown in their figuring without doing a single ounce of actual discovery. If he pulled 100 people and said "You just paid for this, and we can stop you from using it if you exceed 5 installs, and you have no choice but to agree" Do you think he'd get the same response as say for example this question:

Does DRM affect you as a legal, legitimate customer?

Most average joe sixpacks don't know what DRM is first and foremost, and any experience they may have had previously probably falls under iPod uses, and not in relation to limiting gameplay experiences (and it will, and can, and does).

I hated Securom WAY WAY back in the day, they've apparently got no more consumer friendly. Glad to see EA is hopping on the bandwagon with them, I hope they both go down in flames and burn in hell. PC gaming as a whole has taken a beating in recent years because of consoles. I think at this point, most of these publishers would prefer to just stop writing games for PC's. I mean if they figure they're losing so much money due to piracy, why take the chance that, lets just use an absurd figure 99.8% of your market share is actual legitimate sales, while that whopping 0.2% is pirated. But according to the game industry its 30%. Why develop when only 70% of your market is going to be sales. Why not just scrap that and develop for consoles only?

Oh, thats why, THEY MAKE MONEY ANYWAY, despite their attempts at stopping piracy, it all gets hacked eventually. So, who wins in this regard? The legitimate consumer that you keep squeezing to death? Or the pirate that just kicked your door in anyway despite all your "brilliant ideas to stop them bad bad hackers".

This all falls inline with gun laws. Gun laws don't stop criminals, they stop legitimate gun owners. They're passed and enforced and the only guy that gets hurt is the guy that wants to buy a shotgun and has to wait 2-7 days. The guy thats got a handgun pointed at Aunt Jean in the car wanting to carjack her, didn't get his gun from a legitimate source anyway.

The end result is feel good laws, that just take away more of your basic rights.
I miss the late 80's to early 90's way of life, you bought software back then for your Commodore and Amiga, and a LOT of them offered free, lifetime upgrades. Now, software is so finite, that a company can release version 9, and 3 months later, version 10, and you can buy it all over again, its only $199 dollars. Support free software imo, cause this shits all going to hell in a handbasket at this point.

I'd LOVE to see them come after Brent for posting on the front page he used a crack on legitimate software. I'd love to see what they say to legitimate use being circumvented by their shitty copy protection. Not to mention, if I was the H and Kyle and Brent. I'd put another game in the rotation for testing, and just piss out the fire that EA has started that way. Cause if they don't think that review sites showing data for their games in relation to hardware platforms doesn't help their sales, then I guess that 0.2% population is shrinking even more.
 
My problem with this type of online activation system is that it relies on a 3rd party (the activation server) to be present. If, in a few years, the company goes bust, then I would not be able to play the game again.

For that reason, I do not buy these types of games.
 
starforce was one of the worst pieces of crap ware ever. destroyed 2 dvdrw drives before i figured out what was causing my drives to burn coasters.
 
Hi,

Don't know how many of you have had a problem with save game function in Crysis but I have had a lot. I tend to do quick saves and they come handy. Though if you do quick save at some places in game you wan't be able to load a game next time. I've tryed few things and searched on net for answers though best cure for me was to reinstall damn game.
I was pretty lucky it did reinstall few times I've needed it.

In between I've red all about Spore debacle on Amazon.com and SR on EA games. EA didn't want to remove SR but stated how they gona give us, people who pay for a game not for renting it, few more installs. Also they've said that for games aimed towards extreme gamers they gona give even few more installs. So for people who aren't going to protest they are going to give more problems? Why? Plus they are hurting paying customers not hackers. I wander what a hell are they getting from it? Can't belive that they do not have higher plan and are plain blind and stupid. If they are they are going to loose their clients eventualy.

EA first make game not FUBAR-ing it self and needing reinstall in first place.
Then look who do you really hurt with SR. EA you hurt people who are paying you for your lifestyle.

I was releifed that atleast Warhead haven't had any save game issues so I could play it without reinstalling it.Or maybe because it was just because I've almost never used quicksave? Is it because I've played it true in few hours gameplay?

EA if you are keeping this strategy then digitaly deliver your game and charge 5$ for it and disable it after played once from begining to the end. Then you are renting it to us and you have less costs. Everyone will be happy.

But do not sell us DVD and manual and box and make us belive you are selling a game to us (for premium price as well) and then actualy rent us a game.

Wana push majority to legal copies then do not make average Joe searching for cracked version because his legal version doesn't work anymore.

If you piss of a average Joe enough, noone is going to gett Red Alert III or any upcoming EA game.




MD
 
Ah, a class-action lawsuit. Where the "victims" get a fraction of the winnings while the Lawyers are laughing all the way to the bank. I'm not surprised at all about this becuase people like making easy money, and suing companies can be the easiest of money to be made.

It's also rather interesting that some people really get into this like they really care. It just all seems like some sort of cover story so they can justify their theft of the game.

The fact of the matter is that most people will not ever have problems with todays DRM setups. Compare them to what they used to be and maybe you'll see that things have gotten pretty fair. Just read up about FarCry 2's DRM setup, I don't know who could be upset about that.

What we have here are people who are freaking out over stuff that could happen but hasn't. Over things that only have a very small percentage chance of actually happening. Over things that could easily be patched, updated, and even removed if needed!

Chill. Quit stealing. Buy your entertainment you enjoy. Don't buy what you do not enjoy. Simple as that. Talk with your money, not with your ability to steal stuff.
 
My problem with this type of online activation system is that it relies on a 3rd party (the activation server) to be present. If, in a few years, the company goes bust, then I would not be able to play the game again.

For that reason, I do not buy these types of games.

I guess companies just never patch their games either? Pretty much every release of Unreal Tournament, it requires the CD to be in the drive to play it. Months later, they release a patch and they (the developer) remove the requirement of having the CD in the tray.

What is stopping EA or Ubisoft from simply releasing a patch to stop requiring authentications?
 
"EA sucks my balls... Think that's like what I'm saying, pretty much... Like I got this one ball here, E- E sucks this ball here, and then the A- the A sucks my other ball here, and so the E and the A are just sucking both my balls." -Jeremy from Pure Pwnage
 
It's about time someone sued them over DRM.

But haven't we learned from the Nintendo lawsuit in 1991 that usually these things just end up with us receiving a $5 discount on our NEXT EA purchase?

(lawsuits that make lawyers rich and reward the offender with further sales, yay...)
 
Back
Top