e8400?

vict0r

[H]ard|Gawd
good day...

so basically the e8400 doesn't count anymore? i see people bashing it while it is still a WONDERFULL chip..

all of a sudden, its the i5 and i7 that counts,otherwise your pc sucks...

thats weirde, especially for gamers, the e8400 paired with a good videocard is mooooore than enough to have a wonderfull experience

Lol...I'm still very happy with my E8400. So much so I plan to skip an i5/i7 anytime soon. (Unless I take a trip to Houston soon and get an i5 for $149 lol)

why fail?

i would like to know why some people r bashing the e8400?

I love my e8400.

However, with the i7 920 easily overclocking to 3.6+ and selling for only $199 (at a Microcenter thirty miles from my home), it's hard for the e8400 to be relevant.

IMO, the e8400 is the best bargain for a used processor.

I love my e8400.

However, with the i7 920 easily overclocking to 3.6+ and selling for only $199 (at a Microcenter thirty miles from my home), it's hard for the e8400 to be relevant.

I agree. I had an E8400 and kind of wish I did not sell it. Great chip for the money. If I build another secondary system (I have an X3 710 for that already) I'd probably get another E8400 and pair it up with a good mobo and RAM.

if gaming is your primary purpose then the E8400 is more then just a good 'used' processor...it's an excellent chip for gaming...the OP is correct...

thank you

e8400
ati 5870
4 gigs of ram
24 inch monitor

will do alright for a gaming rig

why? some people post like if the e8400 isnt good enough. and my intention was to see what others think...

is intel still making e8400's ?

I haven't seen anyone bashing the e8400 - maybe bashing people who leave it at stock speeds and don't overclock, but nobody trash talking the cpu itself.

This is [H]ard forum. The people that tend to come here want the best and fastest.

I mainly just game and browse the web. I have an e8400 clocked to 3.8GHz, love it. Was thinking about upgrading to an i7, the was like, wait, there are no PC games out right now, or in the near future that will come close to challenging this (since nowadays they all seem like weak console ports)

I haven't seen anyone bashing the e8400 - maybe bashing people who leave it at stock speeds and don't overclock, but nobody trash talking the cpu itself.

This is [H]ard forum. The people that tend to come here want the best and fastest.

Ahahahaha I have not one but TWO e8400's in machines in my home and they both have Noctua NH-U12P coolers on them. Guess what; they both run @ stock speeds... WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW?!

Which E8400 stepping/and or batch ## is considered the best?
(okay this is a n00b question but it's pretty relevant to me)
thank you

reason I'm asking is there's a sale on them right now and I
want to get a good one. Thanks again

Which E8400 stepping/and or batch ## is considered the best?
(okay this is a n00b question but it's pretty relevant to me)
thank you

reason I'm asking is there's a sale on them right now and I
want to get a good one. Thanks again

I believe the E0 stepping is best...not 100% certain on that so maybe someone else can confirm

I haven't seen anyone bash the E8400. And there isn't a reason to bash the E8400. My E8400 was a beast and could easily do anything I needed it to do.

Still running an early E8400 @ 4.1GHz.
Wonderful chip, hasnt made me feel the need to upgrade yet.

good day...

so basically the e8400 doesn't count anymore? i see people bashing it while it is still a WONDERFULL chip..

all of a sudden, its the i5 and i7 that counts,otherwise your pc sucks...

thats weirde, especially for gamers, the e8400 paired with a good videocard is mooooore than enough to have a wonderfull experience

No, simply INTEL needs to have something new for people to buy.
Doesn't matter if they are new buyers or not.
They are simply trying to sell CPU's and one of the easy ways to do
it is to sell a newer chip with claims of increased performance.

Even the C0 steppings are pretty solid. They can get to 4.0GHz without breaking a sweat.

why? some people post like if the e8400 isnt good enough. and my intention was to see what others think...

is intel still making e8400's ?

Dude, what you call bashing are called logical arguments against buying the E8400 for a new system. You're correct that the E8400 is still a good CPU for gaming PCs. However, it's not a good choice for a new PC considering that there are faster (i5 750) or equally fast (Phenom II X3 720) CPUs for a similar and lower price.

The E8400 is a good CPU like you said it's not good enough for the money. Simple as that.

E8400 isn't good enough @ $170 price-point on a soon-to-be-dead socket.

For those people who do have it, they are still great chips with amazing overclocking potential.

And yes, new system build with an E8400 doesn't "count" anymore, not when the i5 is around the same price or less ( $149.99 Microcenter deal anyone? )

Ah I guess I didn't read the thread clearly.

I agree that building a new system off the e8400 isn't really a great deal. If you already own one than awesome. No rush to upgrade the i5 or i7.

I have an E8500, which is an awesome chip, but I can build an i5 system for the same price. I don't think it is worth going 775 anymore unless you are looking for a budget build.

I think one of the reasons the e8400 might be somewhat "under-appreciated" is that gamers/enthusiasts have been going to quad for a while now, since long before the i7 came out. Why go for an E8400 when you can go for a Q6600 or Q9550 instead (typically for not much more money)?

They're all gone as of yesterday, but Fry's was blowing out E8400's combined with
a Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L for $119.00 (after a $10.00 MIR). The mobo alone lists
on the Egg for about $80.00. Was $39.00 + tax a bad price for brand-new E8400?.

I have two systems. My main rig with an OC'd i7 920 running at 4.2Ghz and a SFF lan party machine running at 3.8Ghz on stock volts. The main rig is faster and benchmarks show it, but for the most part, I can't tell the difference usually when playing games. The only reason I notice any difference really is because my main rig has a 4870x2 and the SFF only has a 4850 in it.

But the e8400 isn't made anymore and the prices it or the ones around it at stock performance go for are insane when compared to deals one can get for an i5/i7. It just isn't feasible anymore to purchase an e8x00 series chip new. I mean $170ish for a new one off newegg or $150 for an I5 from microcenter. That is why there is some hate going on. Now if intel dropped the price of an e8400 to around $100ish, then things would be different. But they haven't.

I have two systems. My main rig with an OC'd i7 920 running at 4.2Ghz and a SFF lan party machine running at 3.8Ghz on stock volts. The main rig is faster and benchmarks show it, but for the most part, I can't tell the difference usually when playing games. The only reason I notice any difference really is because my main rig has a 4870x2 and the SFF only has a 4850 in it.

But the e8400 isn't made anymore and the prices it or the ones around it at stock performance go for are insane when compared to deals one can get for an i5/i7. It just isn't feasible anymore to purchase an e8x00 series chip new. I mean $170ish for a new one off newegg or $150 for an I5 from microcenter. That is why there is some hate going on. Now if intel dropped the price of an e8400 to around $100ish, then things would be different. But they haven't.

best , 100% ... i agree ... i think that i like my e8400 too much :(
i will not be upgrading anytime soon...maybe more memory or a new videocard... but im fine as of now...

humblepie explained it correctly. Essentially, a wolfdale system with 4 gigs of ram and a solid video card will run anything virtually as well as a completely monster badass icore system. Whole point of getting an icore system is to brag, show off specs and stuff. For real world performance the wolfdale is a much better processor. Theres 2 types of enthusiasts, ones who brag about system specs and will argue til the day they die about why theirs is the best, and ones who buy the best shit at best times and are always running modern things at top settings for the least amount of money.

I love my e8400.

I always love it when you guys say easily OC to xxx. What there not saying is the temps are TWICE as high as a E8400 running same speed LOL

I love my E8400. Every game I toss at it I have zero problems running smooth. Also worth mentioning is how cool this chip runs. I run it on stock air cooling and under load I never break 45C. Find me a i5 or i7 that can claim that! SImply put, there is no real reason to go i anything at this point unless you just want to have the newest tech like windows7 etc....

I have felt no need to upgrade. My Xeon E3110 still excels at everything I use it for. 4ghz in Windows 7 is noticeably snappier.

Whole point of getting a Core iX system is to brag, show off specs and stuff. For real world performance, the Wolfdale is a much better processor. There's two types of enthusiasts, ones who brag about system specs and will argue 'til the day they die about why theirs is the best, and ones who buy the best shit at best times and are always running modern things at top settings for the least amount of money.
Are you only talking about gaming?

I'm an ignorant person who thinks that because nothing that I do can benefit from a CPU with more cores or better performance per clock than what I already have, the same is true for everyone else.
I fixed that for you.

I'm getting a little tired of people with this attitude. Just because nothing you do can take advantage of a better CPU, that doesn't mean that there aren't people who can actually use that extra power.

omg this thread is so full of PHAIL

The 8400 is a well known OC friendly chip. Buying an E8500 is ridiculous IMO.
Best bang for the buck is currently the core i5 especially combo deals .... unless you buy your stuff used.

Back