e8400?

I own the E8400 as well and love it. Only problem is it will likely be worth nothing once the new 32nm dual cores come out. I will be upgrading to the i5 likely soon.

I love my e8400 so I'll be keeping it. I think e8400s are good for new builds if you can find them crazy cheap or have spare parts to build one. I wouldnt mind an i5 build, but not everyone here has a Frys or Microcenter around them. Also RAM has jumped through the roof, so my e8400 will last me a while more.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

the e8400 is a great chip. i was able to get 4.4ghz on air with one on a gigabyte p35 board.It ran screamin fast but it only excels in dual core apps. with the price of i5 i7 its dumb to not get one of those newer chips

Frys has a Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8400 & MSI P45 NEO2-FR Motherboard for 149 dollars. That's a pretty sweet deal if you're looking to build a medium end game rig, yes?

with millions of people still using Socket 939 , Socket A etc etc ...these i7's , i5's ,even c2d and c2q's are owned by a very small amount of people..

I love my E8400 E0. It runs 24x7 at 8x500 (4GHz - load) or 6x500 (with speedstep) on my Gigabyte UD3P with just a hair over stock voltage and stays cool, and is perfectly adequate for almost everything I do. This processor is a huge overachiever, and I paid $120 for it shipped (used) which I consider a bargain at that time.

My e8400 still going strong... I don't think its going to be replaced anytime soon.

Gonna hang on to my e8400 until I can get a i9 at a decent price. Or maybe AMD's next big thing.

I can mostly agree that if you were building a system today, that building it around LGA775 and an E8400 would be bad decision but back in its prime it was an excellent CPU and still is for people using them. It is a classic chip and could almost go down in the history book.

This thread inspired me to hit 4.25GHz Orthos stable on my e8400 last night. Got enough voltage going through it though to power a small town.

Plus one for the E8400 still being a kick ass cpu. I haven't seen any need to upgrade thus far, though if the intel retail edge bundle is as good this year as it has been in past years I may have to go for that.

I have been running my E8400 since last march at 4.15Ghz. It's run very well and was an amazing increase compared to my 2.4C. :D I'll be holding on to this until it becomes a bottleneck with games/movies or HD content.

Back