E6600: Recommend a good cooler

I3eyond

Gawd
Really don't want to have to remove the mobo and install from the back.

With that in mind, what are some of the good coolers?

Working at Best Buy, I can get a discount on these two:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...pin+q&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218102738441

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8990489&type=product&id=1218007082289

Pretty sure the second one wouldn't fit in my case (P180b)..not sure on the first one.

However, I think both of these require removing the motherboard and mounting from the back?

Either way, between those 2... or overall... what's some of the best coolers? If it's worth it to remove the motherboard, fine, I'll do it.

Last edited:
Those are honestly horrible. Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer, OCZ Vendetta2, Xigmatech HDT-S1283 are all about the same thing, and some of the absolute best coolers for a Core2Duo. They run $40 or less shipped, and will absolutely destroy anything BestBuy carries.

Pretty much anything will fit in a P180B; I owned one, plenty of clearance for heatsinks.

Zalman CNPS9500 and CNPS9700 are very good from my experience but both require mobo removal.

Artic Freezer 7 Pro and the OCZ coolers are nice for none board removal.

Not bad, but overpriced for the performance they offer.

I guess, I have been thrilled with my 9500...I had a freezer 7 before and the 9500 looks better (case has a window...but tastefully done...no lights and wires everywhere and crap) and performs a bit better in my case.

I know they are a bit overpriced though compared to the performance of some other cheaper coolers.

I guess I should ask this: are the ones that require mobo removal really worth the extra effort?

They also dont bend the board like most top mount only ones will do over time.

I went to Best Buy and got the Corsair H50, and for me it was the right choice. It sucks having to remove the Mobo and all but for the performance and cooling I got it was well worth it. I OC'd my E8500 to 4.26ghz and it runs smoother than it ever has on any other cooler, PLUS there is not a ginormous heatsink bending my board anymore. I had Megahalems installed and they are HUGE. My temps are really cool now at 41/72, (before they were 3.8ghz and 55*C and 80*C all the time) and my case is ALOT quieter too, 22dba vs 35dba with the Megahalems, that's with the noctua Fans in a push/pull on the H50.

Another benefit, believe it or not, is that I don't need the AC as much anymore, so the upgrade is actually saving me money!

Go for the Corsair H50, it worked for me, I bet it will work for you too...and it was only $68 on sale!

Last edited:
I went to Best Buy and got the Corsair H50, and for me it was the right choice. It sucks having to remove the Mobo and all but for the performance and cooling I got it was well worth it. I OC'd my E8500 to 4.26ghz and it runs smoother than it ever has on any other cooler, PLUS there is not a ginormous heatsink bending my board anymore. I had Megahalems installed and they are HUGE. My temps are really cool now at 41/72, (before they were 3.8ghz and 55*C and 80*C all the time) and my case is ALOT quieter too, 22dba vs 35dba with the Megahalems, that's with the noctua Fans in a push/pull on the H50.

Another benefit, believe it or not, is that I don't need the AC as much anymore, so the upgrade is actually saving me money!

Go for the Corsair H50, it worked for me, I bet it will work for you too...and it was only $68 on sale!

You didn't install the Megahalems properly (used too much TIM) / get a good mount if the H50 does better than it did. Such a huge heatsink is kinda overkill for a dual core, though, so this would explain why your temps are better with an inferior cooling system and a better mount / TIM application job. A single 120mm radiator is enough for a dual core, even a highly clocked one.

I wouldn't be running 72C load, though... That's a little too hot, particularly on a 45nm chip like the E8xxx series.

Shouldnt make a difference...the heat is still having to go somewhere in your room.

I just got my Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus. Its only ~35 bucks and every review I have read says that it does a good job, and competes at the level of a $50-$70 heatsink in both heat dissipation and sound. I haven't got my system up and running because UPS just delivered my ram like 10 minutes ago, but I have heard only good things.

So what's the best relatively sized one that I don't have to worry about bending my board?

So what's the best relatively sized one that I don't have to worry about bending my board?

All the ones silent-circuit listed are great choices, so is the CM hyper 212 plus, all are more than enough for a dual core, the pushpins are also fine, yes, you might get a few C cooler with a bolt through setup on any of the coolers listed, however is it worth taking out the mobo for? On a OC dual core....Not to me, unless I was REALLY pushing the chip. The pushpins work fine and are nothing to really worry about, if you don't like it, you can always buy the bolt through kit later and install it that way.

For a push pin design, I have no issues recommending the AC Freezer 7 Pro. I used it with my E6600 and in fact am still using it with my Q6700 (a bit small for this however). I found this heatsink did a good job with the E6600 so long as I stayed a bit below 1.5v. At 1.5v, I hit a stable OC of 3.51 Ghz on my E6600, but it was too hot for my comfort. If you would be happy with an OC to 3.4 Ghz or below, then the Freezer 7 Pro should do the job. The Egg has them listed for $34 with free shipping which is not the best price I have seen on them, but not a bad price either.

Looks like I'm go with the Freezer 7 Pro with some ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound.

Looks like I'm go with the Freezer 7 Pro with some ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound.

Please don't, The 7 Pro was a good cooler in its day but gets raped by coolers like the S1283. Because the 7 Pro is a much smaller 92mm HS and just can not keep up with 120mm HS in the noise to cooling area. And seeing how it is not even really cheaper, there is no reason to go with it as the lesser cooler.

HDT-S1283

Hyper 212 Plus

Note that the 212 is a bolt thought set up so you will have to remove the mobo to put it in, wile the S1283 is pushpin, but can be converted to bolt through later with their kit if you want.

Please don't, The 7 Pro was a good cooler in its day but gets raped by coolers like the S1283. Because the 7 Pro is a much smaller 92mm HS and just can not keep up with 120mm HS in the noise to cooling area. And seeing how it is not even really cheaper, there is no reason to go with it as the lesser cooler.

HDT-S1283

Hyper 212 Plus

Note that the 212 is a bolt thought set up so you will have to remove the mobo to put it in, wile the S1283 is pushpin, but can be converted to bolt through later with their kit if you want.

Gah, I just really don't want to take my board out, BUT at the same time I'm somewhat not comfortable trusting push pins to hold one of these huge things down. What if it fell off? That'd be terrrible!

Perhaps I'll go with the 212? Anyone know if it will fit completely in a P180b?

Gah, I just really don't want to take my board out, BUT at the same time I'm somewhat not comfortable trusting push pins to hold one of these huge things down. What if it fell off? That'd be terrrible!

Perhaps I'll go with the 212? Anyone know if it will fit completely in a P180b?

The S1283 works fine with the pishpins, and never had one fall off on the builds I have used it on, make sure they are in right and you are fine. They should all fit in your case fine, or any other midtower also.

i like my cctf. it installs easy from the front, and it comes right off the front. however, you have to get at the back to remove the mounting bracket. at least i did the first time i removed it. i think little barbs on the back have softened a bit so that i can pull it off now after i take the pins out. one thing though is that i had to cut a little groove in the mounting bracket to replace the cpu without removing the bracket. it doesnt leave enough clearance mounted one way to open the release lever all the way. im not sure if its a problem mounted 90 degrees to how i have it since my case wont fit a cctf that way.

I notice most of the pictures of these don't show the fan attached. Exactly how does the fan attach to these things?

The Xigmatech uses 4 rubber "studs" that push in to the corner holes of the fan and then slide in to slots on the sides of the heatsink itself. Many use clips that use tension in notches on the sides of the heatsink and wrap partially around the fan sides. Many people use zip ties too.

I've actually decided that I want to go with a model that attaches from behind the motherboard.

So, does the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 come with the bolt-through kit, or does it have to be purcahsed seperartely? And is it hands down one of the best options?

Unfortunately Newegg is out of the CM cooler until the end of Nov.

There are other stores besides newegg out there...

Jab-Tech
Petras
FrozenCPU
Amazon

As for the S1283 yes the bolt-thru kit is a separate purchase unless you can find a kit somewhere.

I'm going to get the ZALMAN CNPS9700. I like the looks of it the most, seeing as the fan is already built into it.

Also getting:

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier

I'm going to get the ZALMAN CNPS9700. I like the looks of it the most, seeing as the fan is already built into it.

Also getting:

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier

Unless you are going just for looks that's not the best idea, for that price you can get the Dark Knight, which is the S1283 with the bolt through kit.

Unless you are going just for looks that's not the best idea, for that price you can get the Dark Knight, which is the S1283 with the bolt through kit.

Is it really that much better? Overall, I like the build of the Zalmanns more, but of course if the Black Knight is better then so be it, I'll get that one.

Get the s1283 Dark Knight by Xigmatek. It is better than the 9700 in every way. I think it even looks better. You will not regret it. I had the same dilemma when I was shopping for a cooler. I went with the OCZ vendetta 2 (which is pretty much the same as a Dark Knight) and have never looked back. Keeps my Q9550 at 30/75 clocked at 4.2ghz. You can't beat that. The dark knight comes with the rear mounting hardware as well, and will work with Socket 1366 should you ever upgrade. No brainer in my opinion.

Also, you can probably hit 3.6ghz with that cooler.

Is it really that much better? Overall, I like the build of the Zalmanns more, but of course if the Black Knight is better then so be it, I'll get that one.

The ZALMAN HS's were good in their day, but the design is dated and does not keep up with most 120mm tower coolers. You are also stuck with their built in fan, which is far from "quiet" and tend to make annoying noises. Not saying it can't more than keep the E6600 cool, it can, it's just that there are more quiet HS's on the market.

From SPCR:

"The larger fan hasn't helped reduce noise levels at all, in fact, it generally measures louder. The subjective sound of 9500 fan is more whiny, while the 9700 has more of a grinding, lower pitch sound. Neither are favorable, and the fans on either model can be modded to replace the stock fan like we did with the 9500. But there's increased cost and no cooling performance gain."

The ZALMAN HS's were good in their day, but the design is dated and does not keep up with most 120mm tower coolers. You are also stuck with their built in fan, which is far from "quiet" and tend to make annoying noises. Not saying it can't more than keep the E6600 cool, it can, it's just that there are more quiet HS's on the market.

From SPCR:

"The larger fan hasn't helped reduce noise levels at all, in fact, it generally measures louder. The subjective sound of 9500 fan is more whiny, while the 9700 has more of a grinding, lower pitch sound. Neither are favorable, and the fans on either model can be modded to replace the stock fan like we did with the 9500. But there's increased cost and no cooling performance gain."

Alright, I appreciate all the help. The Dark Knight it shall be.

I have the Zalman 9500, works great on my E6600 OCed...it is a bit noisier than I would like though at times (though idle is not bad at all and quieter than stock).

It does look fantastic though, way better than the towers IMO. But that is personal preference.

Get a TRUE. I just took off my TRUE from my e6600 and that thing was great!!!! i hit a little over 3.6 ghz. i have the occt pic w/ the cpu-z validation. I then put my e6600 on water and it hit a 3689 something like that. almost 3.7ghz. The cpu just couldnt take it. I can tell you from personal experience the true is great cooler. at a little bit bast 3.6 w/TRUE I was getting idle temps of 40-45 with load temps from 63-66. I never like my chips going about 65 load. but sometimes i take them 1 or two degrees higher. I sold my e6600 and replaced it with my old e7200 which is going to be on water any day and now have the TRUE is just sitting sad cuz its homeless! :(

Dark Knight just came in today. Are you guys sure it will fit in a P180b? Looks awfully big...

Back