E3 2010

OK people, what are your release day hardware buys?

For myself:

1) New 360 slim
2) 3DS whenever it is release.

I'll wait for Move and Natal (I can't remember the new name) to be out for a while...

Sony wins.

GT5 release date seals it.

The GTPlanet forums have been rocked. They are currently under cardiac-arrest.

It's nice to see Portal 2. I was surprised they didn't announce new PS3's with Wireless N and a larger hard drive.

I might pick up the new xbox 360 since I've never owned one and my friends all keep telling me it is a must have.

I'll definitely be getting the PS3 Move bundle + that new Sorcery game.
I'm on the fence in regards to buying one of the new XBox 360's.

PS3 wins for me. Microsoft stuck to Kinect too long, and just repeated stuff that Wii had done. Kinect Sports games etc. Nintendo's Wii presentation wasn't anything great, but unveiling their 3DS put them way above Microsoft.

As for PS3 and Move, Sorcery looked like a lot of fun to me, even if the controls are similar to the Wii. The graphics are still much better. They also seemed to be listening to their audience and not just releasing games for the family. The quips about having a button and the whole Kevin Butler thing was great. The PSP deal was boring compared to the 3DS. But then Killzone 3, Dead Space 2, LBP2, AC:Brotherhood all sucked me in. Then the Valve thing sealed it. Although I can't be the only one disappointed that he didn't show HL3 (despite the repeated mentions that it was portal related).

I don't have any of the current gen consoles. Was considering buying the 360 Arcade for $100, but may just go with PS3 instead. Been anxiously wanting to play Demon's Souls.

I just bought a 360 Arcade for $149+$50 Target GC to replace the 2006 Pro Xenon unit at home with (which will be listed FS shortly). I have no interest in 360 slim. (especially now after getting the Arcade for practically $99)

3DS may be a buy depending on price (didn't hear a price on it yet). I doubt launch though.
I'm sure there will eventually be a 3DSi+ or something; I've been burned too many times on Nintendo portables to second guess that at this point. Bought a import GBA, then a GBASP. Bought a DS, then a DS Lite. :rolleyes:

Launch games I will definitely get TM, Gears 3, GoW:Ghost, and MvC3.

New Xbox 360, I don't have a 360 yet
3D DS but only after I get to molest it for a bit.

I am replacing my existing 360. MS should be happy that the 3DS isn't dropping soon. Otherwise Nintendo would have ended up with all my money.

I wonder if the real 3DSes will come with girls attached to them. Otherwise that is false advertising.

I think Sony wins hands down, Butler was awesome and we get a GT5 releases date, Buy Dead Space 2 on the PS3 and you get Extraction for Move for Free.

Twisted Metal Black is one of my all time favorite games for Jaffe and crew to come out at the end and show the new TW made my fuckin day.

And whoever said it looked like a PS2 game above I mean come on are you serious, this game is very early, were talking about the guys behind God of war and WarHawk.

I'm sure as hell not worried.

I'm not as impressed as everyone else seems to be. We knew these sequals were coming. That's not impressive. You know they are going to continue to make sequals of their big franchises.
For me E3 is about the console hardware. I can find a game I enjoy playing on any system, it's the hardware and unique online services that win me over.

Shooters have never worked well for me on the wii and I have a hard time seeing them work any better with what looks like the same controls on the PS3. Kinect has the most potential to change not only gaming but how we interact with technology. Since none of these things are coming out for awhile we have time to see how things will develop.

The 3DS might be interesting. I'll need to see more to know. Can't say I'm really interested in Kinect at the moment. I imagine something that different is going to take time to truly flesh out. I'd suspect the next Xbox will probably REALLY take advantage of that type of open movement.

Move is more of an incremental step and it's cheaper...so I might be interested in that. It can be my Wii-HD for the time being.

the whole gabe/portal2/steam thing....does that mean we will get a steam store on ps3?

the whole gabe/portal2/steam thing....does that mean we will get a steam store on ps3?

Well, who knows? That'd be pretty sweet.. if they added Mouse+KB support with the ps3 and an updated TF2.. that would be even better.

There were no winners at this years E3, just certain degrees of losers. I saw nothing but shovelware coming out of the motion control bullshit from both camps. Seemed gimmicky and overpriced. Total letdown for me.

1.No Wii-HD
2.No Shadow of the Colossus Remake
3.No Last Guardian
4.No price drops to Wii or PS3.

Just fail all around.

thanks for this post, its hard to get good updates on e3, even from ign and gamespot...its not organized well

I was watching IGN coverage of a shooter being played with PS3 move and it showed both the screen and the guy playing. It looked just as awkward to me as it is on the wii. He's playing tiger woods now and aside from better graphics the controls and accuracy look identical to the wii.

The accuracy is supposed to be better. And hopefully it won't have the latency problems of kinect.

I want Dead Space II, Gran Tourismo 5, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Epic Mickey, A 3DS with Icarus!, Crysis 2 and NHL 11

4.No price drops to Wii or PS3.

Wii has been overpriced since day one. I was initially interested in one before it launched. I figured it would get a couple quick price drops, and I'd snag one with a SMG pack in for $149. :rolleyes:

As well as it still sells, they have no incentive to lower the price.

PS3 likewise doesn't need a price drop. It's competitively priced, and Sony just recently got production costs inline. Another price drop would cause them to lose money again. If the generation goes for another 3-4 years, they've got time yet to get into the walmart mass market range of <$200.

With regards to the Sony and MS conferences there arent many games that were exclusive. However. I am rather impressed with Sony's Move, It wasn't presented as 'gimicky' as Kinect or the Wii-mote. Looked genuinley like a 'real' control alternative rather than a 'fun' alternative if that makes sense.

I really liked the look of Killzone 3 too, looked like a lot of fun. Sorcery looked like the PS3's Fable alternative and i was enchanted by the spell casting system. heh ;)

Wether its enough to make me buy a PS3 is debatable, but i'm seriously considering it at the moment.

Oh and the 3DS is gonna be on pre-order as soon as its up :D

On a seriously pointless but nerdy technicality note. Sony fooked up saying that the PS3 is the only game console with integrated Wi-Fi, the day after MS announced the new 360 with intergrated Wi-Fi.

Just saying is all

With regards to the Sony and MS conferences there arent many games that were exclusive. However. I am rather impressed with Sony's Move, It wasn't presented as 'gimicky' as Kinect or the Wii-mote. Looked genuinley like a 'real' control alternative rather than a 'fun' alternative if that makes sense.

I really liked the look of Killzone 3 too, looked like a lot of fun. Sorcery looked like the PS3's Fable alternative and i was enchanted by the spell casting system. heh ;)

Wether its enough to make me buy a PS3 is debatable, but i'm seriously considering it at the moment.

Oh and the 3DS is gonna be on pre-order as soon as its up :D

On a seriously pointless but nerdy technicality note. Sony fooked up saying that the PS3 is the only game console with integrated Wi-Fi, the day after MS announced the new 360 with intergrated Wi-Fi.

Just saying is all

Wii has also had integrated Wi-Fi since day one.

Wii has also had integrated Wi-Fi since day one.

Nice one, totally backs up my point! Either way Sony are full of it.

Still......thinking of a PS3 for wave and Killzone, Sorcery and whatever else comes out :D

whoever said it looked like a PS2 game above I mean come on are you serious, this game is very early, were talking about the guys behind God of war and WarHawk.

I wouldn't think Warhawk would be something to compare graphics too and if I am not mistaken Jaffe was not involved with GoW 3 (other than a consultant).

Your right, it's still early but something tells me what I saw at E3 is what I will probably be getting on my TV next year. Graphics are not everything, but surely they can do something more meaningful than that.

I dunno after Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, God of War III, etc. I would think a major first party title due out in less than a year would have the same standards. I am a PS3 owner so believe me I hope they succeed here.

Still......thinking of a PS3 for wave and Killzone, Sorcery and whatever else comes out :D

IMHO Move isn't really a reason to buy a Ps3.
KZ2 is a pretty good shooter, I admit I've only played the demo but it's on my 'to buy' list. KZ3 will join it on my 'to buy' list.

If you pick up a Ps3 I highly recommend:
-Uncharted 1+2 (arguably the best games on the platform)
-GoW3
-Resistance 1+2 (somewhat overrated but good shooters nonetheless)
-Heavenly Sword (reviews are shit but the game is great if you like GoW; IMO most underrated Ps3 game)
-Heavy Rain
-Ratchet & Clank: Future Perfect

[psn titles]
-WipEout HD + Fury
-Flower (underrated and often passed on for it's looks or idea but a great game)
-Fat Princess (arguably the best team based game since TF2 which it borrows some ideas from)
-Ratchet & Clank: Quest For Booty
-PixelJunk Shooter, PJ Eden and PJ Monsters

I also highly recommend Darksiders, which is multiplatform - they supposedly fixed the 360 tearing issues with an update but I bought the Ps3 version on launch.

I wouldn't think Warhawk would be something to compare graphics too and if I am not mistaken Jaffe was not involved with GoW 3 (other than a consultant).

Your right, it's still early but something tells me what I saw at E3 is what I will probably be getting on my TV next year. Graphics are not everything, but surely they can do something more meaningful than that.

I dunno after Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, God of War III, etc. I would think a major first party title due out in less than a year would have the same standards. I am a PS3 owner so believe me I hope they succeed here.

Well I was referring to Jaffe in the sense of God of War 1&2 which were arguably the the best looking PS2 games made. But in his blog he stated TW was very early, and that what they showed wasn't even in the development state as other playable demos on the show floor.

Steam on PSN is huge. Starting with Portal 2. wasnt expecting that with newells prior hate for the PS3, but sound slike hes over 360s closed controls on XBL.

I don't blame them... MS has put them so far behind with TF2 updates because they (MS) won't let them (Valve) release them for free like they want to do. :rolleyes:

Where can I watch the big 3 press conferences? I missed them when they first aired.

I don't blame them... MS has put them so far behind with TF2 updates because they (MS) won't let them (Valve) release them for free like they want to do. :rolleyes:
Doesn't really explain why they did not release the updates for the Sony platform either and/or excluded L4D1/2 on PS3.

I'm hoping the announcement improves that (ie free DLC updates if the publisher chooses to), unfortunately I would like to see this in practice before I get my hopes up.

Paid DLC has a place, but prices are growing exponentially where as the content has diminished over the last few years. We are now at the point where we are paying $15 for 3 new maps and 2 from the previous series (CODMW2) and they are selling like hotcakes. Only a matter of time where we start seeing fewer and fewer maps on release because of greed, followed by paid to DLC to make up the difference.

It would be awesome if Valve sets a good example of post purchase support like they do on the PC. However, this is all speculation as there is no detail if the DLC will be free. Will they support mods, and etc. Many unaswered questions and I guess time will tell.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/06/16/steamworks-portal-2-coming-to-ps3/1
Valve now reckons that the PlayStation 3 version of Portal 2 will be "the best console version of the game". As well as developing Portal 2 for the PS3, Valve will also bring some Steamworks features to Sony's console, offering community support, downloadable content, automatic updates and cloud-based saving. Hypothetically, that means you'll be able to play the game on PC, Mac and PS3 all at the same time, with saved progress being consistent across all three.

Last edited:

Sorcery came off well, if looking a little simplistic, like a PSN game.
The motion controls were far more impressive than Nintendo's Zelda demo, or Kinect's lineup, lulz.

I could see a big budget RPG using Move to great effect. Demon's Souls 2 ?
It needs a killer app for me to pop $100, or whatever it costs.

Back