Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition

I am using a Corsair M40 which has three sensitivity levels and two polling rates (1000 and 500, and I am using 1000 / 1ms). I keep it on the middle sensitivity level pretty much always which is 1600dpi.. I will try max with in game sensitivity at zero or one tick up. Right now I have smoothing off, sensitivity at about 10 or 15% for in game.. I have vsync off and am using adaptive in the Nv control panel which seems to be the smoothest option but I do get a little tearing on some textures when panning up and down.

Last edited:
Just finished this game a few minutes ago...finally. Steam says I logged 107 hours. I know I put in a crap ton since I tend to be pretty thorough regarding side quests and item collection but there may have been a few nights where I left the game running and it counted towards my total (I wish Steam would fix that).

Overall a very enjoyable experience but I'm less picky than some here. I noticed one or two people saying that Dead Island was better but I've tried twice to get into that game where this one grabbed me pretty early. Guess I'll try again with Dead Island; it always sucks starting out with a weak character and weapons but once you push past that things get much better.

I'm surprised there was no mega-thread for this game. Was it not as popular as I perceived it to be? Regardless I had a good time with it but it can get a bit repetitive in between bashing zombies and upgrading skills/weapons...after this many hours invested I'm glad to be able to move onto something else. It'll be nice to just launch the game every once and a while and tool around the city killing zombies in creative ways for a while before jumping back out.

Just finished this game a few minutes ago...finally. Steam says I logged 107 hours. I know I put in a crap ton since I tend to be pretty thorough regarding side quests and item collection but there may have been a few nights where I left the game running and it counted towards my total (I wish Steam would fix that).

Overall a very enjoyable experience but I'm less picky than some here. I noticed one or two people saying that Dead Island was better but I've tried twice to get into that game where this one grabbed me pretty early. Guess I'll try again with Dead Island; it always sucks starting out with a weak character and weapons but once you push past that things get much better.

I'm surprised there was no mega-thread for this game. Was it not as popular as I perceived it to be? Regardless I had a good time with it but it can get a bit repetitive in between bashing zombies and upgrading skills/weapons...after this many hours invested I'm glad to be able to move onto something else. It'll be nice to just launch the game every once and a while and tool around the city killing zombies in creative ways for a while before jumping back out.
It was the first game I played in a long time that I enjoyed completely from start to finish. I was hooked the second I heard the '80s zombie movie-inspired theme music in the main menu. From that point on I knew it was going to be something special. And they nailed the atmosphere, gameplay, and general feeling of what it must be like to be trapped within a zombie-infested quarantine zone.

Dead Island I put in around half an hour initially and haven't played it since. It seems to me like a lot more heart went into the development of Dying Light.

I bought the big package and can't play it. I get creeped the F out, scream like a little girl, and cut the game off as I do with all horror games. Now if you stick me in a room with a bunch of OTHER people and play, then I'm good. :) Of course this never happens nowadays as everyone has Facebook to keep in touch with one another.

I bought the big package and can't play it. I get creeped the F out, scream like a little girl, and cut the game off as I do with all horror games. Now if you stick me in a room with a bunch of OTHER people and play, then I'm good. :) Of course this never happens nowadays as everyone has Facebook to keep in touch with one another.
The Volatiles still scare the shit out of me. Dead Space 2, though, is still the only game I had to stop playing at times due to how uncomfortable it made me feel.

It was the first game I played in a long time that I enjoyed completely from start to finish. I was hooked the second I heard the '80s zombie movie-inspired theme music in the main menu. From that point on I knew it was going to be something special. And they nailed the atmosphere, gameplay, and general feeling of what it must be like to be trapped within a zombie-infested quarantine zone.

Dead Island I put in around half an hour initially and haven't played it since. It seems to me like a lot more heart went into the development of Dying Light.

I agree completely. And regarding the atmosphere, I thought that Dying Light nailed the bleakness of a zombie-ridden city where survivors are mostly holed up and scattered about (plus the day/night cycles add an interesting dynamic). The fact that the setting for Dead Island is a sunny island paradise is a little weird in comparison...not bad per se, but I tried getting back into it over the weekend and it just feels limited in comparison. The more vertical gameplay of Dying Light (namely the parkour-style moves and the ability to scale nearly any building or structure) made the gameplay fun and exciting. It gave you more options to escape a horde of zombies and it never gets old throwing and kicking zombies off of rooftops. I'll definitely give Dead Island another chance, as I want to play through DI and DI: Riptide, but I have a feeling that the atmosphere and characters in Dying Light might make it my favorite.

The Volatiles still scare the shit out of me. Dead Space 2, though, is still the only game I had to stop playing at times due to how uncomfortable it made me feel.

That's funny. Yeah, it's a scary feeling lurking among the Volatiles at night (particularly getting spotted/chased by them!). Dead Space 1 and 2 were creepy as hell, but I finished them. I still need to play the third one but from what I remember reading in the forums they sort of got less creepy and more action oriented as the series progressed. Games that I've had to stop playing at times due to stress and discomfort include Amnesia, SOMA, Outlast, Alien: Isolation, the original Alien vs. Predator and Silent Hill back in the day, and a few others that I can't think of ATM. I absolutely love scary games, but man the apprehension can get to you, lol. Strangely enough I didn't have a problem with The Evil Within and a few other scary/horror games.

I agree completely. And regarding the atmosphere, I thought that Dying Light nailed the bleakness of a zombie-ridden city where survivors are mostly holed up and scattered about (plus the day/night cycles add an interesting dynamic). The fact that the setting for Dead Island is a sunny island paradise is a little weird in comparison...not bad per se, but I tried getting back into it over the weekend and it just feels limited in comparison. The more vertical gameplay of Dying Light (namely the parkour-style moves and the ability to scale nearly any building or structure) made the gameplay fun and exciting. It gave you more options to escape a horde of zombies and it never gets old throwing and kicking zombies off of rooftops. I'll definitely give Dead Island another chance, as I want to play through DI and DI: Riptide, but I have a feeling that the atmosphere and characters in Dying Light might make it my favorite.

That's funny. Yeah, it's a scary feeling lurking among the Volatiles at night (particularly getting spotted/chased by them!). Dead Space 1 and 2 were creepy as hell, but I finished them. I still need to play the third one but from what I remember reading in the forums they sort of got less creepy and more action oriented as the series progressed. Games that I've had to stop playing at times due to stress and discomfort include Amnesia, SOMA, Outlast, Alien: Isolation, the original Alien vs. Predator and Silent Hill back in the day, and a few others that I can't think of ATM. I absolutely love scary games, but man the apprehension can get to you, lol. Strangely enough I didn't have a problem with The Evil Within and a few other scary/horror games.
I have a feeling those people didn't play the game all the way through. Dead Space 3 starts out that way, but it slowly descends into the madness that made the first two games great. The pacing of it actually surprised me in a good way. The extended ending with Awakening was completely satisfying to me in keeping with the Lovecraftian thematic. I think anyone who skipped or is continuing to skip DS3 just because of the "action" narrative in online forums is missing out.

At the risk of going even more off-topic: try the Resident Evil 7 demo in Steam.

why is the game still $60 on Steam?...didn't it come out in 2015?...I've been wanting to buy this...hopefully the upcoming Steam Summer sale will have some decent discounts

why is the game still $60 on Steam?...didn't it come out in 2015?...I've been wanting to buy this...hopefully the upcoming Steam Summer sale will have some decent discounts

They released a updated version and jacked up the price I tried the Demo but couldn't get into it just too mindless.

The "The Following, Enhanced Edition" version encompasses all of the old Season Pass, plus additional DLC, and an entire Expansion Pack, not to mention other fixes/tweaks etc. Its basically a "Game of the year edition" option. Note that even with the "Enhanced Edition", there are 3 "new, post EE" mini DLCs that were added afterward that willl need to be purchased if you want absolutely everything, but especially on sale they're dirt cheap.

The game itself is really quite enjoyable, both in Co-Op and Single Player - its easily the best of the "Borderlands + Dead Island" style titles around and the story is pretty decent too with plenty of side quests. The Parkour movement is really something and some of the best first person parkour I've seen to date, as well as being really effective in game itself. However, if you are prone to DIMS / motion sickness with PC games, I'd be very cautious as this is probably one of the most likely titles to trigger something like that. Its noteworthy that the zombies aren't just danger-free sponges to hack through but even during the day its one of the few games that gets the "horde" issue correct where basic shamblers can be dangerous in groups, grab you etc.. and require a variety of special techniques to avoid/kill etc.. both in melee and eventually ranged as you level up. At night the whole thing changes and the standard zombies become much more dangerous and will swarm, track etc... while "special infected" make your life difficult. For the most part, night time is for stealth, evasion, and survival instead of outright losing combat against superior numbers (at least, as far as I've gotten in the game) .

Dying Light even has a Linux client, so its a worthwhile purchase if you enjoy zombie or first person adventure titles! Oh, keep in mind however that (last I checked ) the GOG version and Steam version use different online services and thus cannot play together. They may have fixed/updated this but if not, the Steam version has a much larger populace last I checked. If you don't want to play full price, the upcoming Steam sale is a great idea, but in fact it was at 50% or less on Humble just a few days ago during their Spring sale - I'd check again toward the end of their sale for the "Encore" day and it may be back at 60% off or whatnot! GreenManGaming, CDKeys.com , and (if you're comfortable with marketplace sites) Kinguin (which has a better rep than G2A in terms of ethics, I''ve read) have offered the game well below MSRP if they're in stock (and available for your region) Keep your eyes open for sales on main sites regardless!

Last edited:
in fact it was at 50% or less on Humble just a few days ago during their Spring sale - I'd check again toward the end of their sale for the "Encore" day and it may be back at 60% off or whatnot!...

it's now on sale again for $23.99 as part of the Humble Bundle Spring Sale encore!!...yes!...I jumped on it at that price...sale goes through the weekend in case anyone else is interested...

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dying-light-the-following-enhanced-edition

Back