• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dying Light is a ram hog

kscott190

n00b
Joined
Dec 26, 2011
Messages
13
The game is beautiful and fun but I notice is takes up a lot of ram
Look at the left-hand corner and at the bottom you'll see the system ram and the pagefile

J78s84Q.jpg
 
Awesome. Good to see applications using all the ram we have.

P.S. Is that a cricket bat? You must have something better? Is that your opening thrower?
 
Awesome. Good to see applications using all the ram we have.

P.S. Is that a cricket bat? You must have something better? Is that your opening thrower?

I most agree, it is good to see applications use the available ram, unless it is a memory leak!
 
Hooray for pointless additional threads about a game that already has multiple threads.
 
I'd be happy for a game to use as much memory as it can, as long as the correlates to improved performance.

Now if this turns out to be a memory leak then that's a bad thing.
 
The game is beautiful and fun but I notice is takes up a lot of ram
Look at the left-hand corner and at the bottom you'll see the system ram and the pagefile

Better a game uses the available ram than it not using the ram. What's the point of having shittons of memory if nothing uses it.

Also, the screenshot looks blurry. Will wait till the game is in a Steam sale for $7.50.
 
Ohhhh looky. Its a new shiny that eats up ram. Better go out and upgrade to that new expensive ddr14 rams. Its called a memory leak. These new games aren't optimize and released with bugs and memory leaks. Welcome to pc gaming.
 
I'm too busy looking at the 25 FPS with 61% GPU usage.

I had similar issues with this game. If I alt tab out and then back in again, my frame rate normalizes and GPU usage goes back to normal. Give it a shot.

And yes, Dying Light uses an ape ton of RAM. Recall that they originally listed 16 GBs as the recommended RAM amount, before revising it downwards. I feel it won't be long until 16 GBs of RAM is standard fare for gaming PCs - we may even be already there.
 
I'm too busy looking at the 25 FPS with 61% GPU usage.

I had similar issues with this game. If I alt tab out and then back in again, my frame rate normalizes and GPU usage goes back to normal. Give it a shot.

And yes, Dying Light uses an ape ton of RAM. Recall that they originally listed 16 GBs as the recommended RAM amount, before revising it downwards. I feel it won't be long until 16 GBs of RAM is standard fare for gaming PCs - we may even be already there.

We Are;)
 
I had to throw in a couple older/slower 2gb sticks I had to go with my 2x4gb. So now have 12gb total.

Was getting extreme stutters, like 5+ sec stutters at times lol. Since adding the ram it doesn't do it anymore, and total system usage for me only goes up to ~9.2gb. Everything maxed except shadow map sizes or some bs to high instead of ultra (thx gtx 970s). Plays fine at 60fps all the time on v1.2 at 2560x1600.
 
Looks like I cant keep telling people 6Gigs is all they need for gaming anymore...
Fuck new GPU and new ram..Do I just need to upgrade the entire chipset at this point.
 
I don't see why being a memory hog is automatically a good thing, unless we know that the game is utilizing those memory in a good way. Otherwise, it could simply meant the game was unoptimized or worse still, suffering from memory leak.
 
I have 8 GB and dying light doesnt seem to go over 6GB for me and I havent had any hitching... It might use the RAM but I dont believe it needs it.
 
You people are just used to 32-bit programs...

OMG it's using more than 4GB of memory! Unoptimized POS!

To be fair... The game did have a memory leak at launch, but it was supposedly fixed in the last patch.
 
Since a lot of these games are coming out on console I think they're not really being optimized for PC, hence the resource hogging.
 
PC gaming being held back by consoles is nothing new. We better accept this fate for another 5 years a least.
 
You people are just used to 32-bit programs...

OMG it's using more than 4GB of memory! Unoptimized POS!

To be fair... The game did have a memory leak at launch, but it was supposedly fixed in the last patch.

don't forget that a lot of folks run pirated copies, so no patches, no fixes and still have memory leaks.
 
^^^ yup, crackers figure out how to pirate the game but can't figure out how to crack the updates :rolleyes:
 
If you've cracked the game once, most of the hard work is done (barring unusual situations), so I don't think you're correct about that (in fact, I know you're wrong). More likely there's just not as much of a scene for cracking updates, and what's there will have poorer distribution.
 
Hahahahaha.

Hahahahahahaha, those stupid pirates, so funny. Except its completely wrong. Just stupid people that can't figure it out and/or make posts on the steam forums to further point out their stupidity. It takes a day at best for them to post a cracked update.
 
i dont see why this game would need allocate that much of ram anyways.. i bet gta5 wont even use more then 4 or 5 if even that and still run flawless...
 
Do not have any money for this kind of crap. I thought we were told that 8gb was like enough for a longgg time to come.

Away from home right now but I can't even remember how much ram I've got in the computer at home thats how irrelevant ram has been for a while.. or shall i say how under utilized it has been in the past few years by games.
 
You don't have money for ram? Who the hell cares?

This thread hurts my head it's so irrelevant.
 
You don't have money for ram? Who the hell cares?

This thread hurts my head it's so irrelevant.

:D:D

Agreed.

I've had 16gb for a few years now and figure I'll have to throw more in a year or two down the road.

It is easy to get complacent and forget that the upgrade process is a never ending cycle ;)
 
Back
Top