Dying Light 2

Dying Light 2 Update 1.3.0 is here!

huge patch which adds New Game+ and a lot of other fixes...

https://steamcommunity.com/games/534380/announcements/detail/3192499225949801727

Gameplay Updates

-Enemies with bows are less annoying — decreased damage output
-Completed achievements are correctly awarded upon completion. This works for the achievements that were obtained before the update as well
-Fixed a bug that was causing Howlers and Screamers to become invulnerable to damage
-Fixed a possibility to fast travel between map regions after completing various quests
-Fixed a random AI bug of Human encounters
-Fixed infected invulnerability to arrows
-Fixed missing rewards after Bandit encounters
-Fixed the Virals patrol movement in GRE facilities
-Grappling Hook. Tweaked pull limitations, longer swings will reset the vertical pull values; pulls will have a bigger first value

Quest Updates

-Fixed a bug related to wall-clipping during the Let’s Waltz quest
-Fixed a bug of the player getting stuck after using an inhibitor, or opening inventory after obtaining inhibitor in the Markers of Plague quest
-Fixed the map display bug in The Only Way Out quest
-Fixed the disappearance of Hakon in the Into The Darkness quest after playing in co-op
-Fixed Sophie’s inaccessible position in The Raid quest

UI/UX Updates

-Added FOV slider on PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X
-Improved UI textures optimization
-Fixed issues related to switching between keyboard and controller
-Fixed inhibitor pop-up message in Markers of Plague quest
-Fixed quest display in journal
-Fixed tutorial window display
-Fixed weapon durability display, quest tracking, and inventory management on ASUS ROG Zephyrus Duo second display
-Aiden should no longer T-pose in the main menu
-Fixed crashes related to launching the game in 5760x1080 resolution
-Fixed display of incorrect numbers on Immunity Bar
-Minor changes to PC key bindings

Technical Updates

-Improved game stability
-Several crash sources fixed
-Improved the stability of frame rate in various places on the map
-Fixed multiple bugs that allowed players to see and fall outside map texture
-Fixed occasional texture glitches in various places on the map
-Fixed various audio glitches

A little bit pissed that NG+ can't be enabled in a current game. IMO, the game is way too easy, and really "- Updated distribution of the enemies (f.e. Volatiles and Banshee spawn during the night, a wider variety of enemy pools in encounters)" is all I feel the game needs at night time to make night actually threatening.

So, DL2 is 20% off on Steam right now.

That's not quite as cheap as I usually buy into a game, but I enjoyed the last one and have thus been looking forward to this one for a while, so I might pull the trigger.

If I go with the base version, is there anything in the "Deluxe" or "Ultimate" editions that would really be a shame to miss out on?

Appreciate any input.

seems like the only reason to get the Deluxe or Ultimate editions are for the story DLC...with Deluxe you get 1 story DLC while Ultimate gives you 2...me personally I would just get the standard edition and buy the DLC standalone if they end up being good

I plan on buying this but closer to when I actually plan on playing it...will probably pick it up during the Steam Summer sale where I'm guessing it'll be a bigger discount (maybe 33%)

This game is expensive, it has an all time low of 20% ($47) across all stores. I even checked my gray market sites, same price. It's also the first game I've seen that has a higher price on the cdkeys store.
I know it's recent (feb 2022) but they usually drop faster than that. Should be in the $30's by now, somewhere.

This game is expensive, it has an all time low of 20% ($47) across all stores. I even checked my gray market sites, same price. It's also the first game I've seen that has a higher price on the cdkeys store.
I know it's recent (feb 2022) but they usually drop faster than that. Should be in the $30's by now, somewhere.
I believe it's because it sold good, and still largely is. It's a decent game. TBH. My only real complaint is that it's just too easy, and the increased difficulty of the patched in NG+ doesn't really 'fix' that problem, since it's NG+ only.

My only real complaint is that it's just too easy, and the increased difficulty of the patched in NG+ doesn't really 'fix' that problem, since it's NG+ only.

why not increase the difficulty to Hard?

I believe it's because it sold good, and still largely is. It's a decent game. TBH. My only real complaint is that it's just too easy, and the increased difficulty of the patched in NG+ doesn't really 'fix' that problem, since it's NG+ only.
Dying Light 1 actually added Nightmare diffculty with the DLC, and I also found it piss easy.

why not increase the difficulty to Hard?
My difficulty is on hard. The game isn't hard. The biggest thing it needs is what was added only with the NG+ mode, which is having random spawns of volatiles, etc at night time. Without that feature night time is basically a walk in the park in this game compared to the last one.

some news about DLC #1 (expected in June)

Looking ahead, you’ve promised two story expansions, the first of which arrives in the coming months. Can you share any details on what to expect from that?

What I can say right now is that the first one runs parallel to the main story, so it can be started right after Aiden arrives in The City. Since it’s the first one out the gate, we didn’t want to force players to finish the game before they’d be able to have fun with it. I went through some of the speculations our community has expressed online, but I haven’t seen any of those theories get it right. So I hope that we’ll positively surprise people with this DLC

Week 1: Double XP weekend: April 28 - May 2

Week 2: Trove of Crystals weekend: May 5 - 9
(Better crystal cores in Dark Hollows)

Week 3: Blue Moon weekend: May 12 - 16
(Enhanced night infection immunity and chemical resistance)

Week 4: Hypermode weekend: May 19 - 23
(Enemies catapult into the air on impact)
Exploit the benefits of the Blue Moon and Hypermode weekends to have even more fun with the game thanks to extra strength and immunity!

https://twitter.com/DyingLightGame/status/1519723147993530368

Last edited:
Week 1: Double XP weekend: April 28 - May 2
Week 2: Trove of Crystals weekend: May 5 - 9
(Better crystal cores in Dark Hollows)
Week 3: Blue Moon weekend: May 12 - 16
(Enhanced night infection immunity and chemical resistance)
Week 4: Hypermode weekend: May 19 - 23
(Enemies catapult into the air on impact)
Exploit the benefits of the Blue Moon and Hypermode weekends to have even more fun with the game thanks to extra strength and immunity!

https://twitter.com/DyingLightGame/status/1519723147993530368

The hell? The game changes by date?

I'm not sure I like that at all.

Is this one of those "always online" titles or something?

The hell? The game changes by date?

I'm not sure I like that at all.

Is this one of those "always online" titles or something?

No, it's like the first one. It has a storyline and things to do, you can play offline. You can go online and they add different gameplay modifiers to add re-playability to the singleplayer campaign.

Last edited:
Still playing it. Still fun. Not perfect, but fun.

I did end up making a 100% durability mod, admittedly. It isn't a big deal IMO, but also, just dislike that mechanic in general.

Dying Light 2's first major story DLC delayed

Techland was originally promising the game’s first big story expansion in June, but that is now being pushed to September so the team can add some extra polish...

"Over the last few months, we have focused on adding some of your most requested features, such as New Game + mode, FOV slider for consoles, and many co-op improvements," the studio said. "On top of that, in June, we will introduce the first game Chapter entitled In the Footsteps of a Nightrunner, filled with content and events, as well as the highly anticipated photo mode"

"That being said, we need a bit more time to develop the first story DLC, which is now planned to be released in September"

https://twitter.com/DyingLightGame/status/1524751706268962816

Last edited:
I've been enjoying this. I wouldn't say that the graphics are awesome, but I'm mostly impressed with the lighting and shadows. RTX3090 at 1440p, DLSS balanced with everything cranked and I'm probably getting around 90 FPS with rare dips. I took the screenshot below because the lighting feels accurate. The awning appears to be affecting the light reflecting in the glass on the door and the light on the cabinet to the right seems to be affected by the door.

20220606161738_1.jpg

New patch adds bounty hunting to the game through a new NPC with a new quest. Daily and weekly bounties to hunt and kill new special infected will provide new rewards. New trials also test your combat and parkour skills. Among other improvements in the new patch, a photo mode was added. Nearly 1500 fixes and improvements are also included.

https://dyinglightgame.com/news/update-1-4-0/

So, it looks like you can map mouse buttons properly. But, if you switch right click to anything. You are unable to switch Block to anything.

So far, Block and Binoculars assignments are still hardcoded.

So, I just checked again. As soon as I opened Steam a ~240MB update downloaded.

Now it behaves like Brackle describes, where Mouse2 can be bound, but there is no menu option to bind "Block" to any other key, so you simply lose the ability to block if you use Mouse2 for anything else.

Also, there is no menu option to bind the expert grappling hook function to anything other than its default left Alt.

I have now requested a refund, and described why. I'm not holding out hope that they will fix it, but you never know.

So, since February, has the above been fixed?

I'd like to give this game a try, and it is currently on sale again, but I don't want to buy it just to return it due to hard coded keys again.

Appreciate any info from people who own it.

AutoHotkey is a life saver in these situations.
I've been using Sharpkeys for years to circumvent hard coded keys in games, but it couldn't handle the left mouse block hard code.

I may have to look into AutoHotkey.

But do I need to? Is "block" still hardcoded to mouse 2? How about grappling hook?

I've been using Sharpkeys for years to circumvent hard coded keys in games, but it couldn't handle the left mouse block hard code.

I may have to look into AutoHotkey.

But do I need to? Is "block" still hardcoded to mouse 2? How about grappling hook?
Away from my pc atm, but I have had the utility slot (grappling hook is usually theere) bound to mouse-5 without issue.

the game is currently on sale on Steam as well (through September 6th)...I've been waiting for a sale to pick this up (I hear the story is weak but the ray-tracing, combat, parkour etc are excellent)...looks like now is a good time with the expansion coming

the various versions are confusing...there's a Deluxe version and an Ultimate version...the Deluxe comes with one expansion and the Ultimate comes with two...they should have made both expansions available with the Deluxe version

the game is currently on sale on Steam as well (through September 6th)...I've been waiting for a sale to pick this up (I hear the story is weak but the ray-tracing, combat, parkour etc are excellent)...looks like now is a good time with the expansion coming

the various versions are confusing...there's a Deluxe version and an Ultimate version...the Deluxe comes with one expansion and the Ultimate comes with two...they should have made both expansions available with the Deluxe version
I enjoy the story, I just don't like how they portray one faction as bad and the other good despite saying it is supposed to be ambiguous. I sometimes find myself actually audibly arguing with the scripted dialogue that gets spoken based on the choices you make.

Yeah, I got an email from Steam informing me of the sale.

Still not sure if I want in at $35.99, and that DLC seems quite pricy...

seems cheaper to buy the base game for the sale price of $35.99 and the standalone expansion for $9.99 versus buying the Deluxe Edition for $59.99 (which comes with 1 expansion)

Frankly surprised there wasn't a chromatic aberration toggle from the start since this was one of the biggest things the first game was criticized for. Now if we could just get HDR on the PC version, that would be great.

40% off is a nice deal...$35.99 is a much better price than $59.99

Yeah, I just think it's obscene that games cost $60 at launch these days.

They tend to try to milk it for a really long time too. This game is more than 6 months old now.

This is especially true due to what we know from the Gabe Newell theory of digital pricing. Since you have practically no unit cost, until you get to the point of market saturation, you actually make more money the less you sell something for. You make up for the lower per unit price by selling more units.

I can see them wanting to maximize launch month profits, but t if they truly wanted to maximize revenue, they'd steeply discount the titles after an initial launch window.

Yeah, I just think it's obscene that games cost $60 at launch these days.

They tend to try to milk it for a really long time too. This game is more than 6 months old now.

This is especially true due to what we know from the Gabe Newell theory of digital pricing. Since you have practically no unit cost, until you get to the point of market saturation, you actually make more money the less you sell something for. You make up for the lower per unit price by selling more units.

I can see them wanting to maximize launch month profits, but t if they truly wanted to maximize revenue, they'd steeply discount the titles after an initial launch window.
AAA games have cost $60 for the last 15 years. This isn't new.

why did they make things so convoluted?- Digital Edition, Ultimate edition, Chapters vs DLC vs expansions, regular patches, now there are community update patches

Anyone know why the game would crash a couple seconds after the splash screen appears on startup.

Edit: It would seem they screwed some stuff up with the last patch and a decent amount of people are having various issues.

Anyone know why the game would crash a couple seconds after the splash screen appears on startup.

Edit: It would seem they screwed some stuff up with the last patch and a decent amount of people are having various issues.
I haven't played since the last patch came out. There should be a crash log in your documents folder.
Code:
%userprofile%\Documents\dying light 2\out\logs

AAA games have cost $60 for the last 15 years. This isn't new.

Heh, It's been a while since I bought a game at launch. Probably 2010 -2011 when I bought both Civ5 and Red Orchestra 2.

RO2 cost me $39.99 at launch.

Civ V did cost me $59.99, but that was only because I bought the "deluxe" edition, but I can't remember what the normal version cost at launch.

Since then I've mostly been catching up on older titles, never buying anyhting new, just playing what already is in my library, and adding new titles during sales. I've tried to keep purchases at $25 or under a piece. Eventually everything drops there.

I had been under the impression that $39.99 was the typical AAA new price until very recently. Last 3-4 years or so.

Heh, It's been a while since I bought a game at launch. Probably 2010 -2011 when I bought both Civ5 and Red Orchestra 2.

RO2 cost me $39.99 at launch.

Civ V did cost me $59.99, but that was only because I bought the "deluxe" edition, but I can't remember what the normal version cost at launch.

Since then I've mostly been catching up on older titles, never buying anyhting new, just playing what already is in my library, and adding new titles during sales. I've tried to keep purchases at $25 or under a piece. Eventually everything drops there.

I had been under the impression that $39.99 was the typical AAA new price until very recently. Last 3-4 years or so.

I believe CoD 4 set the standard for $60 price tag on PC. Took about two years for most other AAA games to follow on. Has been $60 since around 2010 or so. Lower budget titles would still carry the $50 price tag occasionally like Fallout New Vegas. Before that it was $50. RO2 was an indie game with an indie price.

The new CoD Modern Warfare 2 is going to be $70 on PC, as was Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Seems like $70 will be the new standard going forward. Will probably take another 2 or so years to standardize like last time.

I believe CoD 4 set the standard for $60 price tag on PC. Took about two years for most other AAA games to follow on. Has been $60 since around 2010 or so. Lower budget titles would still carry the $50 price tag occasionally like Fallout New Vegas. Before that it was $50. RO2 was an indie game with an indie price.

The new CoD Modern Warfare 2 is going to be $70 on PC, as was Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Seems like $70 will be the new standard going forward. Will probably take another 2 or so years to standardize like last time.

It's getting ridiculous. Especially since they make more money by selling for less, by making up for it in volume, as there is next to no unit cost associated with digital distribution. You are only paying for bandwidth and electricity per unit.

Back