DVI vs HDMI

JCNiest5

2[H]4U
Hi all, is there a good reason why I should use the HDMI instead of the DVI? I mean my monitor has both inputs (also my video card has both), any benefit of one vs the other?

hdmi carries audio as well, if you use built in speakers for the monitor, go hdmi, if not, doesn't really matter, they are both digital connections.

Any special configuration I need to set in order to make HDMI work with the audio? On older cards, there is a small cable/2-wire set, is that what I need to make it work? Or is it even needed? I have a GTX 470 (as well as a GTX 460 and GTS 450 on different PCs).

HDMI is limited to 1920x1200 @ 60hz, if you need to go over that resolution or refresh rate you will have to use DVI. HDMI also passes audio. If you have an AMD card just plug it in and enable HDMI audio, for Nv not exactly sure and it depends on the model.

HDMI is easy, but if you are running a Dell ultrasharp 27" or 30, then it wont hit the native resolution.

for 1080p or less you are fine.

As for audio why use built in speaker on a monitor when decent sounding speakers or headphones are so readily available for cheap?

Regarding the hdmi audio question. Almost all newer gen cards have audio through hdmi. Even a $15-20AR GT 520 passes audio through hdmi port. I run a GT 430 and GT 440 and both those are great little cards with hdmi output to my tv.

Generally speaking, it has to be older gen card that is fairly outdated to not pass audio through hdmi port. Off the top of my head, an example of a card which does not pass audio through hdmi are those nvidia 9600 gso's.

For nVidia, all GPUs after GF100 support protected audio path (PAP, the technical name for audio over HDMI). For AMD, all GPUs from the 5000 series and on support PAP. If you have a sound device that doesn't support PAP, then it can send 2-channel LPCM, it just can't send Dolby HD or DTS: MA.

In your case, the 470 does NOT have PAP support. The 460 and 450, on the other hand, DO support PAP. You will probably have to install a driver, then go to playback devices and enable it. The name is obvious, it will jump out at you.

You can go on eBay and buy one of those 2-pin cables for optical for about $4.

EDIT Here's a useful post I found, it will help you because getting audio over HDMI on your 470 entails the same process. Good luck: http://browsingtheinternet.com/2011/02/audio-over-hdmi-on-an-nvidia-gtx-260/

Last edited:
For general use:
hdmi is a smaller connector that just plugs in - no screws or such,
with easily obtainable long cables so you can not worry too much about monitor/case proximity

as far as speeds go afaik:
reg dvi/ hdmi : anything up to 1080p 60hz
dvi dual link : anything more than that

I would go with DVI since they are basically the same thing except HDMI has sound like many of the people that mentioned here on hardforum. :)

Useful information, thanks
happy.gif

Not sure how accurate it is however.

I know I used the HDMI on 460 and now the 6970 to power my 1920x1200 screen and the specs for later generation of HDMI (>1.2) allow for much higher resolutions. Would be interesting to know what spec HDMI the 7970 comes with.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Wait, HDMI is limited to 1080p/60?

Seriously?

As noted before, the newer specs allow for higher resolutions - though that might not translate into actual support. The Dell U2711 and U3011, though, do have HDMI inputs.

Edit: Looks like maybe it takes a different cable? Either that or the monitor, despite supporting HDMI 1.3 (technically capable of 2560x1600), doesn't actually support it.

Last edited:
HMDI cables are cheaper on line, otherwise no difference (assuming you use speakers or headphones).

As noted before, the newer specs allow for higher resolutions. The Dell U2711 and U3011, for instance, have HDMI inputs.

However, at 60Hz, they are limited to 1920x1200.

Source: I'm the owner of a U2711. And a Vaio SA. Only way to get native 2560x1440 res out of the Vaio SA's HDMI output to the screen is to modify the EDID and use one of the DVI inputs with a DVI-->HDMI adaptor, and at 35Hz, max.

Anyhow, companies are allowed to implement HDMI specs in parts they can pick and choose from.

However, Dell has stated the HDMI port on the U2711 is passive, and so it may just be a clocking + EDID issue. For that alone, I am still temped to get a HD76xx card to test the properly high clocked HDMI output on the new cards.

EDIT: ah, you ninja'd me :p

How the heck can HDMI support 4096x2160, but not support 1080p at anything over 35hz?

I have use DVI before with my old Mac Mini and when i got the new Mac Mini with HDMI i notice the difference. HDMI all the way.

HDMI and Single-link DVI are the same they can max at 1920 x 1200 @ 60hz. HDMI can still carry sound. Thats not taking into account new HDMI specs.

Dual-link DVI has a max of 2560 x 1600 @ 60hz.

To make it simple if you have monitor that 1920 x 1200 or 1080p I would use HDMI especially if it has built-in speakers.

I actually discovered this the other day when plugging my PC into my TV. If you use a DVI to HDMI adapter on the reciving end (monitor), you can infact have sound over dvi. This came a shock to me since I thought DVI was purly video. I belive it is a feature of modern graphics cards (I have a GeForce 560ti 2GB MSI).

Have a read around on the subject.

Some monitor retailer told me about HDMI introducing slight input lag because it is encoded heavier than DVI-D.
I never tested this nor heard ever of it again, so I'm not sure wether this is true or not, I actually think this is only the case when HDCP comes into play, but not quite sure.

I actually discovered this the other day when plugging my PC into my TV. If you use a DVI to HDMI adapter on the reciving end (monitor), you can infact have sound over dvi. This came a shock to me since I thought DVI was purly video. I belive it is a feature of modern graphics cards (I have a GeForce 560ti 2GB MSI).

Have a read around on the subject.

Yea pin for pin DVI == HDMI.., its just a different connector end.

Back