Dumpster Diving FAQ

but dont forget construction sites,
my buddy got a 19' mtx audio subwoofer in working condition
and we got enough wood/nails to build a damn quality 3 story tree fort. the only thing i can think of that will take that down is either chopping the trees down, or a tornado.
(tree fort is furnished too [ :p )

heres my tip:

school dumpsters.

theres a kindergarten over here, and i went to it and pulled out a working imac g3.
the only problem was the cd drive doesnt work.

i went back the next week and there was about 40 17 inch crt monitors, unfortunately they were wet : (

im so amazed at the positive feeling from you guys with dd'ing as i read all three pages i noticed someone say to avoid attention buy a cop car.. well why buy a cop when you can just become one? makes it a whole lot easier :D

a few tips...i noticed a few people saying go during the day and between 11pm-1am never do that.... maybe from 1am-4am but after or before that is just asking for jail time or a cop to stop you ... always wear black clothings i usually wear a long sleeve shirt and a thick heavy leather jacket and two pairs of jeans.. and go out to an hardware shop and spend some money on some good thick rough leather gloves.. as they will help alot better than rubber ones do...
always have a friend or two.. though ive been doing this for years and i now go by myself always so i get everything! :) yes theres usually heavy shit in there that i cant lift or get out so i bring a chain or rope with me and hook it to my van or truck and pull it out the hard way!

so far i would have to say my best find was a executive desk and chair
and let me tell ya.. if your going for a desk.. bring a truck and a peice of plywood to use as a ramp because those things can get heavy :p

local shops i search are bestbuy,officemax,officedepot,target,local computer stores,walmart, kmart,homedepot,and marshalls the only clothing store i go to :-D

oh and yes, im small enough to get in the compactors :-D

so if your in mississippi near the louisiana line drop me a pm and ill show you the routes! :-D

happy hunting...or should i say diving :p

Other tools that I have found useful are also items I have found on some of my expeditions.

1. box cutter (rather than knife)
2. army or work boots tend to give better foot protection
3. head mounted flashlight to keep your hands free
4. lock pick set and or bolt cutters

#4 I'll let you figure out what thats for ;-)

kill4killin said:
Other tools that I have found useful are also items I have found on some of my expeditions.

1. box cutter (rather than knife)
2. army or work boots tend to give better foot protection
3. head mounted flashlight to keep your hands free
4. lock pick set and or bolt cutters

I listed #4 because RadioShack has gotten smart about the dumpster divers and has started locking their dumpsters in large storage trailers by where I live. Thankfully I happen to be rather proficient at lock picking and they use simple tumbler style locks and theyre rather easy. Another thing that they have started doing around here is they actually have an alarm system hooked up to the lockers that I have had to disable once or twice in order to get in. However, thankfully only one of the lockers has the alarm hooked up, the other is just locked up.

Dude... NO. NO NO. You are breaking the law hardcore now. The stuff that is in the radioshack storage containers is NOT stuff they are throwing out.
Now you have brought a perfectly good thread and ruined it with the talk of illegal activity.
THANKS ! :mad:

DDing is illegal in most places and in most situations. The only things I've come across as legal are the "curb" style dumpsters where they are left out of pick up day. Even if digging in the dumpster is not illegal, tresspassing on property after dark usually is. I live in VA in the midlo area, anyone living near here ever DDed? I am interested in doing it myself.

DDing is not illegal in most situations and places, and I dare you to bring proof otherwise.

And to be fair, I used to work at radioshack, and they started (Then eventually stopped) locking the dump out back because the next door food places were dumping their stuff in our dumpsters. Like old food in the cardboard only dumpster. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have bothered with the locks and alarms if dd's don't leave messes or started returning junk that was thrown out (My old manager used to spray paint the stuff bright orange to prevent that).

Falls Included said:
In case you missed it... DO NOT TRY COMPACTORS!! IT WILL NOT WORK, AND IS ILLEGAL!
And extremely dangerous. Most can start without warning. Never even put your arm in one.

c.d.e said:
DDing is not illegal in most situations and places, and I dare you to bring proof otherwise.

And to be fair, I used to work at radioshack, and they started (Then eventually stopped) locking the dump out back because the next door food places were dumping their stuff in our dumpsters. Like old food in the cardboard only dumpster. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have bothered with the locks and alarms if dd's don't leave messes or started returning junk that was thrown out (My old manager used to spray paint the stuff bright orange to prevent that).

I live in Encinitas, CA, and this is an excerpt from the municipal city code:

Q. No person, other than the owner thereof, owner's agents or employees, or an
officer or employee of this City, or any person holding a franchise with this City for the
collection or disposal of refuse, franchisee's agents or employees authorized for such
purposes, shall tamper or meddle with any solid waste container or the contents thereof, or remove the contents of any solid waste container or remove any solid waste container, from the location where the same shall have been placed by the owner thereof or owner's agent.

It sounds like it is illegal, and the other cities around here seem to have similar regulations. Does anyone know some city around my area that does not have these laws?

Yes in Arizona it is illegal to pickup "curb" refuse. There was a lot of police callouts for curb fights over junk so they just banned it.

Just spoke to my local sherrif's station and they said it's 100% legals as long as I'm not trespassing. Of course, I have to take the receptionist's word for it.. I know the sherrifs wont give a damn if they catch me and I tell them "well, I called the sherrif's station and she said..."

This is in Walnut/Diamond Bar, CA. Area code 91789.

"Garbage lacks in a sufficient value to form the basis of a vested property right so as to authorize a court of equity to enjoin the enforcement of a penal ordinance regulating its disposal.Urbach v. Omaha , ibid"

sounds pretty legal here to me... not like its stopped me before, I just gotta find a few new PC repair shops :D

Well, I didn't feel like attempting a dumpster dive at Best Buy or a similar place, so I went for a target within very easy reach... I went diving at a local Burger King tonight. Not as bad as I thought, once you get over the smell and roaches. Here's what my score was:

Twelve cold and complete Whoppers (two of them had bacon, and one was a double!)
Four half-eaten Whoppers
Sixteen orders of fries, mostly complete (some with ketchup)
A few apple pies (I ate them as I worked)
Tons upon tons of happy meal toys

Not bad, I would say. I plan on doing this every week so I'll never have to buy food again!1!11!!

(just kidding everyone)

:)

Actually me and my cousin tried something like that. Man those double cheeseburgers were great.:D It was a very clean operation.

Dude... NO. NO NO. You are breaking the law hardcore now. The stuff that is in the radioshack storage containers is NOT stuff they are throwing out.
Now you have brought a perfectly good thread and ruined it with the talk of illegal activity.
THANKS ! :mad:

and thank YOU for quoting his original post, so that even after you admonished him and he decided to remove the offending material, i was able to read what was sooooo naughty that had brought a perfectly good thread and ruined it with the talk of illegal activity. keep up the good work!

Ok, where I live (Nashville, TN) DDing is not illegal - as there is no city ordinance against it, yet. However, the landowner CAN press trespassing charges...

Check your local ordinances - this is getting easier, as more and more towns, villages, and cities are putting their laws on the web.

IF your town does not have a website, check the main library, as the code will probably in the reference section.

http://www.doylestownpa.org/police/html/askacop_edition_3.htm

Q: Hello, I was wondering what the township law dictates regarding the practice of "dumpster diving, " that is, collecting discarded trash from dumpsters and other waste receptacles. Thank you for your response. - Jason

A: There is no specific law prohibiting “dumpster diving” in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, assuming the goal of the person is to recover recyclable items. If the dumpster is locked or marked warning no trespassing, however, the practice would be prohibited. Also specifically prohibited would be the recovery of other persons identity items (credit card statements, bank information, etc..) – possession of these items would likely result in criminal charges.

Its legal in pennsylvania! That seriously just made my day, I might go soon.

I live in Encinitas, CA, and this is an excerpt from the municipal city code:

Q. No person, other than the owner thereof, owner's agents or employees, or an
officer or employee of this City, or any person holding a franchise with this City for the
collection or disposal of refuse, franchisee's agents or employees authorized for such
purposes, shall tamper or meddle with any solid waste container or the contents thereof, or remove the contents of any solid waste container or remove any solid waste container, from the location where the same shall have been placed by the owner thereof or owner's agent.

It sounds like it is illegal, and the other cities around here seem to have similar regulations. Does anyone know some city around my area that does not have these laws?

that's just because you live in California.....I'm pretty sure there is an ordinance in most of those places banning breathing as well :p

There was such an ordinance in san jose as well, but the police ignored it. We saw many dumpster divers...one was a regular, he just went looking for electronics. One day he was searching as I was throwing stuff out so I asked him what he was doing. It turns out he was retired and likes making projects...so he rummages through the trash to get parts. It was cool talking electronics with the old guy, he really knew his stuff.

mAN..i LAUGHED SO HARD WHEN THAT GUY SAID HE WENT INTO THE BURGERKING DUMPSTER :D

(post # 39)..HAHAHAHA..that shit was funny as hell.:p

... trash collection points? I mean where they collect and sort all possible materials and refuse?
Where I live there is a small collection point where I usually bring plastic bottles for recycling, and there is a reserved spot for all sorts of electronics.
I've found 3 intel p3 working computers with their cases, motherboards, HDD, CD ROM drives, processors (mostly pentium 3 processors), heatsinks. Usually if it too much trouble to clean I leave it.
Technically, nobody is allowed to take anything out because of health concerns, but I've made buddies with the custodians out there and they kind of turn a blind eye to it.

I have seen plenty of CRTs, but they are too dangerous to mess around with.

There is a landfill here in the area, and a part of that is reserved to all sorts of electronical equiment, and I mean everything. Piles of it, but that place is off bounds. Too many people to befriend there as they would probably keep an eye on each other.

My buddy did this at a repair/computer shop and found a PS3 that needed a new board.

I would do this but it would cut into my mailbox smashing, cow tipping, and flaming bag of poop pranking time.

I would do this but it would cut into my mailbox smashing, cow tipping, and flaming bag of poop pranking time.

dude, this is easily remedied, when you're done DDing, just smash the side of the dumpster and leave a bag of poop there...

birds, two, stone, etc...

have any of you ever been locked in a dumpster by accident?

Don't lose all hope guys!

I found this about 6 months ago.

Keurig B70 premium; nib, unopened with a $200 dollar price tag on it. Now they go for 150 shipped on ebay..I'm about to put it up for sale(I've been lazy to say the least)..

This was behind a Bed Bath & Beyond btw!

I went yesterday to Microcenter,fry's,bestbuy,compusa,office depo but all were connected to the store.:(
The funny thing was that there was a hobo sleeping on the bestbuy one and i poked him and he said "get teh f**k outta here" haha :p

Make sure to throw out 2x as much stuff as you get or you will end up with a house full o things you "might need later" like i have :)

any piece of furniture no matter how crap it looks, if the wood is REAL and it is a wide piece get it. thicker the better. you can sell that for good $$$

i cant believe people actually do this on a regular basis...i mean if it's legal and free im all for it but going out in the middle of the night to jump in a dumpster? seriously? just go to a flea market and spend a couple bux for the same crap

Scored a Micros POS terminal w/ thermal printer and cash drawer.

$281 local ebay sale.

Bought a new roomba this time.

12.1" photo lcd needed new wall wart

8gb thumb drive. No problems.

Random usual finds, dvd/cdrs bits of cables, etc. etc.

Last week went to a warehouse/junkhouse and found a 3 foot scrolling tricolor marquee $45 purchase price.. $850 new.

Also an active whiteboard $35 purchase $1200 new. Needs power supply.

I love free money.

Great finds erebus720!

I never had to much luck, but haven't yet tried since i moved to the great state of TX. Anyone already aware of fort worth DD laws?

Ive DD'd in places I was told it was illegal. Never had a problem.

I got stopped by cops once, (in a town i was told it was okay) they told me to leave. I did, I haven't been back to that place.

Really though, Unless it clearly says no trespassing. Nobody's going to arrest you, or ticket you (I hope).

1. Don't dive if it says no trespassing
2. Don't dive if there is a GATE that is around the can (do at your own discretion)
3. Don't dive in strip malls that may have banks or tax places
4. Don't look like your casing the joint
5. If someone asks what you're doing I usually tell them the truth

I've been stopped by store owners, employees, bums, OTHER dumpster divers, night cleaning people.

Its good stuff :)

o_O

interesting.... its like you guys are camping the spawn... which is probably a bad way for me to look at it.

Ive DD'd in places I was told it was illegal. Never had a problem.

I got stopped by cops once, (in a town i was told it was okay) they told me to leave. I did, I haven't been back to that place.

Really though, Unless it clearly says no trespassing. Nobody's going to arrest you, or ticket you (I hope).

1. Don't dive if it says no trespassing
2. Don't dive if there is a GATE that is around the can (do at your own discretion)
3. Don't dive in strip malls that may have banks or tax places
4. Don't look like your casing the joint
5. If someone asks what you're doing I usually tell them the truth

I've been stopped by store owners, employees, bums, OTHER dumpster divers, night cleaning people.

Its good stuff :)

I have already claimed my dumpsters and put "No Tresspassing" signs on them.

I highly recomend a windbraker on top of hooded sweater and track pants with combat boots.

A nice pair of Combat boots can be had for 40$, and they are very pratical.

Also, Go to Public town owned computer recleying facilities.

Also, It helps to bribe/give a cut the local atendants there. Somebody gave me 2.5K$ of lga 771 xeon chips in a coffee jar, I have him 1250$ cash, and Ever since then hes been giving me all kinds of shit I get serious money for in return for a 50% cut.

(MAc book air with Broken screen we split 400$)

etc etc.

They always have access to stuff the second it enters, he can squirrel it away for you.

Last edited:
Back