Dude i'm not gettin a dell ever again.

BossNoodleKaboodle

[H]ard|Gawd
I got my Precision Workstation today. dual xeons and a quadro 3400. i booted it up and boy was it fast, for an hour before the DVD drive refused to open, and when i rebooted it said no hard drive was installed. dude i'm sending it back and buying myself an HR Giger statue with the money. it will sit on my desk just like the dell, but it will be fine art not a damn black 3500 dollar paperweight!

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
I got my Precision Workstation today. dual xeons and a quadro 3400. i booted it up and boy was it fast, for an hour before the DVD drive refused to open, and when i rebooted it said no hard drive was installed. dude i'm sending it back and buying myself an HR Giger statue with the money. it will sit on my desk just like the dell, but it will be fine art not a damn black 3500 dollar paperweight!

Wait'll the statue gets dust on it, then you'll need to replace *that*. :rolleyes:

[edit] Point being, shit happens. Maybe the shipper dropped it and jogged a few things. But feel free to blame Dell--even if it's their fault they should be expected to get 100% of parts working 100% correctly. And again... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I got an Intel processor that wouldn't work and then I got an AMD processor that wouldn't work, I'm never getting an Intel or AMD processor ever again :D :D

eggrock said:
Wait'll the statue gets dust on it, then you'll need to replace *that*. :rolleyes:

[edit] Point being, shit happens. Maybe the shipper dropped it and jogged a few things. But feel free to blame Dell--even if it's their fault they should be expected to get 100% of parts working 100% correctly. And again... :rolleyes:

Its a precision workstation... enough said.

yeah its pretty damn condecending isnt it.

i'd rather get something else anyway. my pentium M based desktop is fast enough.

Empyrean said:
There's no need to RMA it. Those models come with next business day on-site service... and US-based phone support. :p

I've been using Dells for the last 3 years as my primary and secondary systems (4550/8250/4600/SC400/420SC/4700/GX280/8400) and i've never had a single part fail.

that bad dvd drive is probably shorting out and preventing the system from accessing the hdd that is on the same controller.. unplug the power & ide/sata cable from the dvd drive and see what happens

eggrock said:

I agree. I mean, just look at these fourms and look at all of the users having problems with their self-built computers and asking for help. How can you expect Dell to do any better, all they do is put the system together like we do, they just do it in a much more systematic fashion. On these fourms, when someone says a part failed on their PC, we don't assume that it was their fault, do we? Of course not, because that would be stupid. If a part fails, most likely it was the fault of the component maker, not the builder. Yet, whenever a part fails on a Dell PC, everyone assumes it's because Dell sucks, yet that makes no sense whatsoever. I mean really, what could someone do while putting a system together that would cause the DVD drive to not open after one hour? Just because you got a bad DVD drive and hard drive doesn't mean that Dell sucks, it means you were the lucky person number 1,235 who got the bad DVD drive and hard disk. Dell probably would have seen that in it's testing of the system, but like you said, maybe it was the shipper who damaged it by dropping it. That could break a gear or something inside the DVD drive. If you built your own PC and the processor you got didn't work, would you never buy from AMD again? Of course not, so what makes Dell components (which they don't even make) any different?

EDIT-I just read the post about the DVD drive shorting out the controller. So, a broken somethign in the DVD drive and you will never buy from Dell again. No offense, but that's just stupid.

Hey Boss can you check what PSU it has and what connection? Thanks.

Dell isnt that bad. Its hard to beat their $360 computers. Yes, I know. They are only good for basic stuff and playing solitare. But still....

hell, an emachines thing at walmart is $550.00, what a rip off. Doesnt even come with a printer.

bob said:
Dell isnt that bad. Its hard to beat their $360 computers. Yes, I know. They are only good for basic stuff and playing solitare. But still....

hell, an emachines thing at walmart is $550.00, what a rip off. Doesnt even come with a printer.
It's possible to get Dell systems with graphics card slots (i.e. not the 2400/3000) for cheap. Those work fine as gaming systems if you add a decent video card. I had been buying Dell systems for a few years because they're quiet, stable and reliable computers for very low prices when there are specials.

But just last week a couple of HP deals finally got me to switch. I'll have an Athlon 64 3400+ system with a 16x DL lightscribe DVD burner, 80GB, 256MB WinXP, etc ($169AR) plus a few aftermarket upgrades (1GB PC3200, 160GB SATA and 6600GT AGP, selling the 80GB + 256MB) for a total price of $360AR including tax in another week or two. :D

My parents use a Dell 2400 for their menial web browsing/e-mail/music tasks, and it's been running almost 24/7 in a dusty environment with zero problems (with regular cleaning though). Dell rocks, man.

i have a dell dimension 4700 and its been running great for 7 months already... its perfect for what i do... specs in the sigg

pxc said:
There's no need to RMA it. Those models come with next business day on-site service... and US-based phone support. :p

I've been using Dells for the last 3 years as my primary and secondary systems (4550/8250/4600/SC400/420SC/4700/GX280/8400) and i've never had a single part fail.

Oh try and get that support....it a myth. I bought that option too. I got put on hold so many times and no one ever came back. I spent more of my time waiting on the phone than my system was worth! And I had paid $3500 for my dell too. I bought that rig in 1999 before I learned better. :p

Please lets be civil.

Everyone gets irritated when they spend money on something cool and it doesn't work or its a lemon.

I would try and work with Dell before you decide to hate them, but that is totally up to you. :)

Things break, shit happens. If you decide to get it fixed and then it happens again, then you can hate them. If its just a one time deal, get over it, things like this happen 24/7/365 with all companies not just dell.

yeah, its a fluke for sure..

my buddies sc420 run perfectly, even with the modded pci-e slot and the x300

... although.. i can go without dell tech support.. i actually tried to not fuck the warrantee and buy a card that would fit the connector on it, 130 bucks for an x300... and it was a fucking x16 card... boy was i pissed.. but i said fuck it, it wasnt my money :mad:

i'm thinking about getting an sc420 to replace my ageing p3 server...

if dell was so awful, they'd be out of business.

i've got a dell notebook, and i've had it nearly a year, and it's perfect. i build all my own PC's, and i've had a shitload of problems with initial configuration. i'm not a fan of OEM machines, but i've had enough experience with a large quantity of dell machines and their related support to say that they're not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. it's always the individual experiences that make a company sound awful.

I work for a major bank in my area and we have a lot of Dell PC's and we have had very very few problems with them, and we have about 400 of them. They are the Optiplex 260 and 270's. Also, we have the Gold Tech Support and they have always been responsive, even when they think they are going to be late, they call us. What level did you order? Its a sad but true fact with tech support, you get what you pay for.

covertclocker said:
I work for a major bank in my area and we have a lot of Dell PC's and we have had very very few problems with them, and we have about 400 of them. They are the Optiplex 260 and 270's. Also, we have the Gold Tech Support and they have always been responsive, even when they think they are going to be late, they call us. What level did you order? Its a sad but true fact with tech support, you get what you pay for.

I guess since you had 400 computers that you ranked something in dells eyes. I only had my one. I had next day service but was never ever to collect on that option since they always put me on hold and never came back to the phone. They dont have extension numbers either so you cant call them back and get the person you were just talking to. I ask you how can you collect on a support if you cant get them to issue it? It seems like that if the person you talk to has to go to his boss he gets a demerit or something so he would put you on hold till you hanged up. Mind you I was on hold at least 30 mintues and up to a hour one time and this is like 8 calls total that I had made before I finally gave up. Oh and I did pay for the service and got nothing for my money. So the hell with dell I say.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
its a lot of individual experiences that make up the collective experience.

Hey Boss did you get a chance to check the PSU and connection?

Whitewolf said:
I guess since you had 400 computers that you ranked something in dells eyes. I only had my one. I had next day service but was never ever to collect on that option since they always put me on hold and never came back to the phone.

If you have next business day service, then thats what you should be getting. Speaking from experience, I had two brand new Dell Optiplex GX280s delivered for two different clients, one installed with no problems, the other was DOA out of the box.

Called tech support, and the next day a tech arrived with new parts. Once the unit was fixed it's been working flawless for 6 months so far.

I've installed close to a hundred Dell systems and this was my first experience with *any* problems of hardware malfunction.

I had the onsite business standard plan I believe.

No I didn't bother opening it up. The inside of the 470 is very cramped and I figured that it would likely be a failure that I'd be unable to fix without voiding their warranty.

The whole point of my thread is NOT to bash Dell. I had one of their original XPS's with a P3 700 coppermine chip and a Geforce 256 that is still running strong.

My point is that I was dissatisfied with this particular ones immediate failure, and my experiences building computers in the last 2 years since I started tinkering and moved on to building full systems for friends and family has been much better than that isolated incident. My title was obviously a pun not intended to inflame the people who respond so vigorously to it.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
My point is that I was dissatisfied with this particular ones immediate failure.....

To expect any technology to work 100% of the time is not realistic. While most technology manufacturers do perform some kind of testing, it's not a gurantee it will arrive in working condition. ;)

Of course Dell's churns out some turds on occassion. We've had some servers at work that arrived DOA, bad PSUs, and others just have PSU failures. Had mobos go bad, etc.

Dell has always gotten it fixed though, eventually.

i bought a dell inspiron 6000 a few days ago and been having problems since day one.

but my emachines has been running for 4 years now and NO PROBLEMS what so ever. Too bad their with gateway now. UGH.

its a dvd drive, they are like $25, just order a new one and toss it in. the dell one was probably junk anyways

compslckr said:
its a dvd drive, they are like $25, just order a new one and toss it in. the dell one was probably junk anyways

I had that prob and I called Dell. I had to delete a reg entry and my DVD rom works fine now.

Dude you got a broken dell!

in all serriousness, dont blame dell................your such a bangwagon boi for blameing the company........hey are you perfect? at work do you diliver on time every time? night day? dell has worked hard to be where they are, for you to say they suck......not just OP, but anyone.......how much money do you make again? and how many computers do you sell each year? do you have award winning customer support? :p yeahhhhhhhhh stewfu!

stop hoping on this lame band wagon people.......crap happens, send it back, call CS, dont whine on these forums about crap you can change......computers break, componets fail, shipping isnt 100pct effective, serriously, cut it out, eaither do something about it, or go home.........this aint a blog ;)

good luck whatever you do tho OP, sounds like a nice rig, shame it didnt work on yah =/

soulsaver_8229

Back