• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dual Core Gaming Fix Guide

I don't understand what you mean by "both" hotfixes. I thought there was only one hotfix from MS, and one driver from AMD (then your vid drivers and manually setting affinity). Is there something else buried in the 16 pages of this post?
 
No, there is only 1 hotfix and 1 AMD driver (which as noted is useful only because of the /usepmtimer switch).
 
Im having problems with BF2. I havent used any fixes yet, but tell me if i should. Im using a 3800+ and when i get into the games it freezes. I can choose my weapons and what not, but when I'm actually about to play the whole comp freezes. Any ideas? Please help asap.
 
Try the MS Hotfix first, then try the /usepmtimer and see if that helps your issues in BF2.
 
There is no hotfix for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, correct? I used the boot.ini switch and it fixed my problem but I'm still curious as if there is a hotfix for x64. Thanks.
 
n0sferatu said:
There is no hotfix for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, correct? I used the boot.ini switch and it fixed my problem but I'm still curious as if there is a hotfix for x64. Thanks.

AFAIK, there is no hotfix for x64 WinXP. The reason is I think they incorporated the fix already, but I'm not sure if where I read that was a reputable source or not :D.
 
help me out here guys.

ive been having a different crashing problem with CS:S not related to benny hill. their was an update this week that caused me to get a crash every 15 min or so, many reports of it on teh forum.

im trying to trouble shoot so i set the affinity to a core.

here is what i did

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\marley0ne\counter-strike source>imagecfg -a 0x1
hl2.exe
hl2.exe contains the following configuration information:
hl2.exe contains a Subsystem Version of 4.0
hl2.exe updated with the following configuration information:
Process Affinity Mask: 00000001

Now when i loaded up hl2 in control process i see CPU 0 and CPU 1 set in teh Task Manager, what did i do wrong?
 
Join the club. I struggle constantly with DOD:Source. I simply manually set the affinity to steam.exe when I start it up. It in turn starts Hl2.exe and it's affinity will be set the same way. So perhaps try only setting the affinity on steam.exe. (PS I get two different crashes with source - one will be a looping sound freeze and I may or may not make it back to the desktop. The other is a crash to desktop with a datacache.dll error.)

marley1 said:
help me out here guys.

ive been having a different crashing problem with CS:S not related to benny hill. their was an update this week that caused me to get a crash every 15 min or so, many reports of it on teh forum.

im trying to trouble shoot so i set the affinity to a core.

here is what i did

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\marley0ne\counter-strike source>imagecfg -a 0x1
hl2.exe
hl2.exe contains the following configuration information:
hl2.exe contains a Subsystem Version of 4.0
hl2.exe updated with the following configuration information:
Process Affinity Mask: 00000001

Now when i loaded up hl2 in control process i see CPU 0 and CPU 1 set in teh Task Manager, what did i do wrong?
 
kirbyrj said:
AFAIK, there is no hotfix for x64 WinXP. The reason is I think they incorporated the fix already, but I'm not sure if where I read that was a reputable source or not :D.
If you load the AMD driver for x64 - it will add the uptimer switch in boot.ini (which seems to be the main thing the amd "fix" does)
 
seanmcd said:
Join the club. I struggle constantly with DOD:Source. I simply manually set the affinity to steam.exe when I start it up. It in turn starts Hl2.exe and it's affinity will be set the same way. So perhaps try only setting the affinity on steam.exe. (PS I get two different crashes with source - one will be a looping sound freeze and I may or may not make it back to the desktop. The other is a crash to desktop with a datacache.dll error.)

o wow those are the problems i have.

u fixed it by the affinity?

i jsut want a way to have it automatically done.

anyone have any clue with teh program?
 
seanmcd said:
Join the club. I struggle constantly with DOD:Source. I simply manually set the affinity to steam.exe when I start it up. It in turn starts Hl2.exe and it's affinity will be set the same way. So perhaps try only setting the affinity on steam.exe. (PS I get two different crashes with source - one will be a looping sound freeze and I may or may not make it back to the desktop. The other is a crash to desktop with a datacache.dll error.)

yes it will work if u set the affinity on steam.

but i found out that ounce u exit steam and reneter, it updates and looses the affinity setting.

:(

their has to be a way for this to be automatic.

does that other program l isten, the win2k launcher, does that need to be running in order to apply teh settings?
 
I think you should alter the subject line to include something "Windows". I have no problems gaming, so this is no CPU problem...
 
C-Otto said:
I think you should alter the subject line to include something "Windows". I have no problems gaming, so this is no CPU problem...
If you have no problems gaming, what are you doing in this thread?!
 
C-Otto said:
I think you should alter the subject line to include something "Windows". I have no problems gaming, so this is no CPU problem...

:rolleyes: ...forgive me your worshipful Linuxness. How dare we clutter up your thread space with our lowly Windows XP problems :p . Oh wait. We wanted to get the best possible gaming performance without having to emulate Windows on a separate OS...what was I thinking?
 
back to my problem guys.

how can i get imagecfg working for CS:S, i really dont wanna have to use this dam XPLoader.

anyone have ideas, when i use imagecfg on steam and hl2.exe's the steam one will change after it exits and opens.
 
Let me go play CS:S for a while and see if I can duplicate the problem. I haven't noticed any problems (except for HDR lighting with dual cores in DOD:S).
 
marley1 said:
yeah alot of users are having this problem.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=4166179#post4166179

thatst he forum.

we get a datacache.dll crash and sound looping.

i have manually set the affinitive by using task manager, or using XP Loader, and it works fine.

shit use to crash after 10-15min, been playing for at max an hour all good.

Read through some of the posts there. I wouldn't use imageCFG only because it might be construed as cheating by VAC (even though it's not). It might just be something steam has to work out. Probably XP Loader is the best fix for now :(.
 
kirbyrj said:
Read through some of the posts there. I wouldn't use imageCFG only because it might be construed as cheating by VAC (even though it's not). It might just be something steam has to work out. Probably XP Loader is the best fix for now :(.

so far playing for 59 minutes, no problem.

take off the affinity and i will crash within 15minutes.

ill jsut have to keep xp loader in my startup tab, and run that :)
 
seanmcd said:
If you have no problems gaming, what are you doing in this thread?!

I wondered what possible problems there could be with Dual Core. I was curious, because I have none and I could not imagine there was such a huge problem.
 
kirbyrj said:
:rolleyes: ...forgive me your worshipful Linuxness. How dare we clutter up your thread space with our lowly Windows XP problems :p . Oh wait. We wanted to get the best possible gaming performance without having to emulate Windows on a separate OS...what was I thinking?

Well, you are exaggerating, but I indeed think you should not write about pure Windows problems in such a general thread. It is confusing, after all. The problem is not Dual Core itself, but Windows' scheduler or something.

PS: There are games that do not need Windows emulation (and that is enough for me).
 
C-Otto said:
Well, you are exaggerating, but I indeed think you should not write about pure Windows problems in such a general thread. It is confusing, after all. The problem is not Dual Core itself, but Windows' scheduler or something.

PS: There are games that do not need Windows emulation (and that is enough for me).

You would have to agree that 99%+ of the gaming done with AMD dual core processors is done on Windows based systems. Sometimes it is easier to make that assumption and allow the sub-1% of those who game on other OS's to just ignore the Windows community.

I'm not bashing Linux. I use Linux in a secondary box, but your original post seemed to be along the lines of those who proclaim Linux the answer to all computer questions. I apologize for being overly sarcastic.
 
kirbyrj said:
You would have to agree that 99%+ of the gaming done with AMD dual core processors is done on Windows based systems. Sometimes it is easier to make that assumption and allow the sub-1% of those who game on other OS's to just ignore the Windows community.

I'm not bashing Linux. I use Linux in a secondary box, but your original post seemed to be along the lines of those who proclaim Linux the answer to all computer questions. I apologize for being overly sarcastic.

Yeah, OK. I am that kind of person that thinks Windows and Linux can be handled equally (so 50:50 instead 99:1). I think the "solution" is somewhere in between and there are two or three guys out there that think like I do :)
PS: Linux is the answer to all questions, except one. There it is "42".
PPS: I did not mention Linux in my first post (except in the signature). It could be I spoke about some other OS (OS/2? BeOS?) :D
 
well my 4200+ system is now up and running..well not 100% got a few more programs i gotta install. I got my NIC problem solved with a cheap router and ditching my switch.
well so far things are nice..only odd ball problem i have is if i install something like yahoo from the my documents folder and i try to close the folder when the installer comes up the installers window will shimmer really fast like its vibrating..and itll make the "ding" error sound repeatedly...
but my gaming results so far are this
NO patches or hot fixes installed..just all the windows updates that i needed.

Age of empires 3 - in the menu the sound will stutter and loop like its erroring out. after about 10 seconds it goes back to normal. the game seems to play fine i played an hour last night online. However there was a point where changing some graphics settings would cause the game to kick me out and reboot. i cant figure out why yet.

Halflife 2 - I played today thru the first 3 levels with not one problem. the menu was a little buggy for a few seconds id cursor over a menu item upon initial start up and the game would freeze for about 5 seconds looping the "beep" that the menu items make. then all is perfect the game doesnt speed up or slow down all stupid..atleast so that ive noticed so far.

Counter-Strike: Source - The menu "lag" from HL2 is present. I played 2 games thru militia and assault with not one problem. Militia drops my FPS a little but still playable.
but no problem as of yet.

Quake 4 - not one problem other than smooth sailing :) since it was the collectors edition i installed quake 2 with the addon packs..and it runs perfect too.

Fallout 2 - a little old school but runs nice..the sound for th emovies starts a little before the movie begins. oh well LOL

Counter-Strike: Condition zero - the games runs at damn near double speed LOL but not one problem has come up yet.

Doom 3 - havent installed it yet..one of those programs i havent installed yet lol

Morrowind with all addon packs - another one i havent installed yet


So far my x2 upgrade was a pain in the ass..mainly my NIC problem (but that is fixed now) and the vibrating installer BS but that may be due to my mobo undervolting to 1.30v instead of the stock 1.35v i dunno yet...but i cant fix it..suggestions?
but i must say im really impressed with the overall "speed" of this thing..much snappier than my barton rig. but so far its had more "bugs" than my barton but i guess thats to be expected for right now :)
I can live with the vibrating window..but id like to to go away LOL
 
I'd install the hotfix and see if that fixes any of your issues. That's generally the one I recommend first.
 
kirbyrj said:
I'd install the hotfix and see if that fixes any of your issues. That's generally the one I recommend first.


ya think the hot fix would possibly fix that "vibrating" windows thing?
well..i can always disable it so ill try it when i get back home and see whats what :)
if i can get rid the that vibing windows thing and maybe the lag in game menus id be happy as hell!

sad part is im willing to bet if i went the XP64 id have not on issue other than my soundcard LOL
 
Visable-assassin said:
ya think the hot fix would possibly fix that "vibrating" windows thing?
well..i can always disable it so ill try it when i get back home and see whats what :)
if i can get rid the that vibing windows thing and maybe the lag in game menus id be happy as hell!

sad part is im willing to bet if i went the XP64 id have not on issue other than my soundcard LOL

I'm betting Vista will fix these problems (and likely introduce a bunch more ;) ).
 
kirbyrj said:
I'm betting Vista will fix these problems (and likely introduce a bunch more ;) ).


oh no doubt..leave it to MS to make something pretty decent (win xp vs win 9x) and break shit.
vista i foresee as being pretty decent from jump...but with a shitload of bugs. I just wonder if theyll break enough shit that our games wont run :p
 
Ingonuts13 said:
Does WindowsXP 64 have these issues also?

I don't use WinXP64, but if I were to guess from what I've read, I think the hotfix is incorporated into XP64, but you can still add the /usepmtimer if you need it.
 
kirbyrj said:
I don't use WinXP64, but if I were to guess from what I've read, I think the hotfix is incorporated into XP64, but you can still add the /usepmtimer if you need it.

Ahh that is great news then since I am about to upgrade to XP64 and I have a bunch of games with the stuttering problem right now.
 
Ingonuts13 said:
Ahh that is great news then since I am about to upgrade to XP64 and I have a bunch of games with the stuttering problem right now.

Did you install the hotfix? I don't have many stuttering issues with that installed.
 
kirbyrj said:
Did you install the hotfix? I don't have many stuttering issues with that installed.


i did the hot fix from the first link you listed dude. and it didnt change anything that i can see.
 
Visable-assassin said:
i did the hot fix from the first link you listed dude. and it didnt change anything that i can see.

Try the AMD driver or /usepmtimer in your boot.ini. One of those two usually solves the problems :eek:
 
so amd didnt have this problem in testing?i am guessing they did and still released it.amd[not ms] needs to release a driver for this and not this bandaid crap.this is why intel still leads---compatibility.
 
hund_ said:
so amd didnt have this problem in testing?i am guessing they did and still released it.amd[not ms] needs to release a driver for this and not this bandaid crap.this is why intel still leads---compatibility.

The issue really isn't the hardware. It's a Windows problem with power states. But if you want to blame AMD for a Microsoft problem I can't stop you :rolleyes: .
 
kirbyrj said:
Try the AMD driver or /usepmtimer in your boot.ini. One of those two usually solves the problems :eek:


im not suffering any problems so far man so there isnt a need to install a thing really. I tried the hot fix to see if itll fix the skipping sound menu bug but nope.
ill try the usepmtimer one later on once im done primeing :)
but i doubt itll do anything for me.



hund_ said:
so amd didnt have this problem in testing?i am guessing they did and still released it.amd[not ms] needs to release a driver for this and not this bandaid crap.this is why intel still leads---compatibility.


isnt there a rule about trolling?
its not an AMD problem its a windows problem. please come back when you can read up on the problem.
 
kirbyrj said:
The issue really isn't the hardware. It's a Windows problem with power states. But if you want to blame AMD for a Microsoft problem I can't stop you :rolleyes: .

Visable-assassin said:
isnt there a rule about trolling?
its not an AMD problem its a windows problem. please come back when you can read up on the problem.

its not like the hardware was out first and the os didnt support it.its the other way around.again this didnt come up in testing???
 
hund_ said:
its not like the hardware was out first and the os didnt support it.its the other way around.again this didnt come up in testing???

Even if it did, it's a lot easier to have a software guy write a small bit of code to fix a problem than to re-engineer a whole processor line. The problem really isn't AMD's fault because essentially what happens is Windows doesn't know what to do with what it's seeing from the processor. It's not AMD's job to make a processor that works on Windows. It's Microsofts job to make Windows work on AMD processors. The fact that there is a hotfix for it tells me that Microsoft knows about the problem (possibly even notified by AMD), has a fix for the problem, and just hasn't made the fix widely available or self-installing. I'd be willing to bet if a similar problem came up on the Intel side of things, it would have been a critical update already installed automatically.
 
Back
Top