• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dual Core Gaming Fix Guide

GML3G0 said:
I have a 3800 X2 and 6800GS with XtremeG drivers, and everytime I play Day of Defeat: Source (which uses HDR), or any Counter-Strike: Source map using HDR, like de_nuke, hl2.exe crashes. The game just freezes, and I have to terminate it via task manager. If I set the affinity in the task manager to one of the cores, it works fine. Why do I have to set it to one core only when HDR is on? I have already installed the dual core driver and the Microsoft hotfix.
Now that's wierd because I play HL2 games with no issues, evern HDR maps on CS:S and DOD:S.
 
PerfectCr said:
Now that's wierd because I play HL2 games with no issues, evern HDR maps on CS:S and DOD:S.

What drivers is everyone using? I haven't tried HDR in a while on DOD:S, so maybe some of the steam updates fixed it.
 
kirbyrj said:
What drivers is everyone using? I haven't tried HDR in a while on DOD:S, so maybe some of the steam updates fixed it.
The latest NVIDIA WHQL from their site, 81.89.
 
just letting you guys know, i obtained a copy of NFS:MW offline to test problems.

No problems with this game.

System in spec no addition AMD driver or MS Hotfix applied.

Just instaleld set everything to max and played.

Looks flawless.

I think this bug is a thing of the past :)

Ill test COD2 and Fear this week as well and get back.
 
COD2 had no problems. COD1 needed the affinity set even with hotfix in my machine.
 
Thought I'd Chime in with my issues...

I get consistent stuttering of games after a considerable length of play time. (for example civ4 leaving it on over night, coming back and playing the next day). Setting affinity even with game running always fixes the issue. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. This seriously seems like a simple issue, but its got me.

In all games, the amd driver w/ or without the /usepmtimer switch does not affect anything.
Hotfix is also equally ineffective. (tried straight install of hf, install and put 1 in registry, tried with 0 in registry, etc)
Tried the above 2 in every combination... nothing.

The only trick that works for me is affinity changing, (therefore a launcher program as mentioned in this thread would probably work.)

HL1, civ4 , homeworld2, all after about an hour will stutter and I set affinity and go.

HL2 and DOD:S crash hard with the sound buffer looping. These crash quickly if playing the game, but just leaving the game running or sitting in one place with light game activity it will run forever, its only when the action and sound are hot and heavy that they fail. Figured it was a sound issue or mem or whatever, but after downclocking and testing each component, I can't rule out that its a dual core / stuttering issue.

I never see stuttering in hl2 so I don't change the affinity normally, but changing the affinity the game still crashes... I'm playing with the run around that is steam support on this one so who knows.

As for my dual core gaming experiance, I say don't buy one yet if you game, the software has not caught the hardware yet.
 
I have considerable speed problems in the game (game at times is extremely speedy, particularly when playing for alonger time period).

I am a complete novise for making changes on the computer - can somebody help?

System:
MB: GA-K8NSC-939
CPU AMD +3800 2x
2 Giga OCZ DDR Memory
NVidia GeForce 6800 256 GB

I tried to download the /usepmtimer, but which one?

Sorry, for all this.
 
You do have the intel dual core patch installed? That's all we ever needed on any of the X2 systems we have built. Ram sometimes also does weird stuff like that. If you can borrow and try something different, speed doesn't matter. Also saw one x2 recently with one bad core. That's not too likely though.
 
I just finished installing XP on my new system and testing it, everything seemed to be working ok, but I hadn't really played any games.

System
A64 X2 4400+
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
ATI Radeon X1800XT
2G OCZ4001024ELPE PC3200 running at 2-3-2-5

I applied Fix #1 and Fix #2 then the 3 games I play, FFXI, WoW and CS:S started to crash, not to desktop, but more BSOD and reboot the PC. Sometimes after the pc reboots, it will BSOD again. I never had these issues before the two Fix's, so I disabled them but the problem still persists. I tried Win2K Launcher to set CPU affinity, but it continues.

When a game encounters a problem and crashes because of dual core, does it usually crash to desktop? or does it reboot the system?

I checked my Event Viewer to see if anything is coming up. There are a bunch of Warnings from my HDD "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation." I think these errors are corresponding to the crashes. Perhaps this is a HD issue rather than X2? I'm going to test this out, run some disk diagnostics, maybe Ghost the drive and try a fresh install. Could it be my memory? I assumed if it was a memory timing issue it wouldn't boot at all, but I could be wrong.

Any thoughts?
 
That sounds like you've got bad ram, nothing to do with the dual core chip.
 
Should I adjust my memory timings? I think it was suggested to run 2-3-2-6 and I'm running 2-3-2-5, I didnt think it would make that big of a diff. I'm running some diagnostics now, memtest, hd diagnostics.

I only figured it was a HD problem because of the System Event logs. Google brought up "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation." as the signs that a HD is failing.
 
Fridericus said:
I have considerable speed problems in the game (game at times is extremely speedy, particularly when playing for alonger time period).

I am a complete novise for making changes on the computer - can somebody help?

System:
MB: GA-K8NSC-939
CPU AMD +3800 2x
2 Giga OCZ DDR Memory
NVidia GeForce 6800 256 GB

I tried to download the /usepmtimer, but which one?

Sorry, for all this.

Install the hotfix and see if that fixes your problems first. After that, try the AMD driver since it will install the /usepmtimer for you.
 
SiRCYRO said:
Should I adjust my memory timings? I think it was suggested to run 2-3-2-6 and I'm running 2-3-2-5, I didnt think it would make that big of a diff. I'm running some diagnostics now, memtest, hd diagnostics.

I only figured it was a HD problem because of the System Event logs. Google brought up "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation." as the signs that a HD is failing.

I'd say it's the HDD...swap it out and see if you still have the problems.
 
just wanna give a little update.

as of this week, no problems in CS:S.

I had one problem early on in NFS:MW, that speed problem i assume its the Benny Hill, i would drive and it would go real fast.

I installed the Hotfix without really troubleshooting anything, and it fixed the problem on the next reboot.

For shits and giggles i played some more, and the problem was their.

So i removed the Hotfix by adding the info on page 1.

Restarted, no problem.

Few days past and i laoded NFS after all perfect gaming and i had the problem.

I just restarted and it went away. I think it was a problem when i had Steam loaded along with the Game

Anyway still not worried about it, seems to run amazing. I also could just exit out and return to game and it would be fine. This has happened maybe 2 times out of the 45 i have loaded the game :)

I installed COD2 and Fear, just have't had time to play, will also be installing FarCry.
 
SiRCYRO said:
Should I adjust my memory timings? I think it was suggested to run 2-3-2-6 and I'm running 2-3-2-5, I didnt think it would make that big of a diff. I'm running some diagnostics now, memtest, hd diagnostics.

I only figured it was a HD problem because of the System Event logs. Google brought up "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation." as the signs that a HD is failing.

i had that error b4 my 250gig maxtor crashed.

depending on what brand hdd it is, the manufacturer should have a test program, i would run one of them.

even if it passes test i wouldn't keep anything importannt on it
 
I havent had time to read through all 15 pages of this thread, but is this for both 32 and 64 bit os's or just the 32 bit?
 
_madHatter said:
I havent had time to read through all 15 pages of this thread, but is this for both 32 and 64 bit os's or just the 32 bit?

32-bit from what I've seen. If you have problems with 64-bit, let us know and we'll see what we can do.
 
awww, amn seems like the dual cores are havin problems with games....im planning to get a dual core but im kind of put off by all these errors, do you guys think that in the next few months there will be better updates for games and games that work better on dual cores?
btw im not gettin the dual core only for gaming, i do video editing and that kind of stuff....
 
miskari said:
awww, amn seems like the dual cores are havin problems with games....im planning to get a dual core but im kind of put off by all these errors, do you guys think that in the next few months there will be better updates for games and games that work better on dual cores?
btw im not gettin the dual core only for gaming, i do video editing and that kind of stuff....

most new games work fine with it.

i play nfs:mw and cs:s with hardly any errors. only errors i get is maybe every 15 times i load NFS:MW i get the benny hill effect, which i can fix by just usually exiting and loading up the game, or restarting.

not a big deal for me.

i have a few others games(FEAR, COD2) and i haven't tried em yet.

but i think most new things will have better support.

i still would go for it.
 
After you install the fixes, there are rarely any problems. I don't think it should scare you off too bad ;).
 
I have had stutter issues with xp64. It's what originally prompted me to reinstall xp32.

I also seem to be having some problems (ha, thats an understatement) related to the amd driver.

I installed it for xp32 and COD2/BF2 ran awesome. But, WoW and Doom3 still stutter (after all 4 fixes attempted). Then, after running with the hotfix and amd driver for about a week, my wife says it locked on her. She rebooted with no issues, but the following morning, it wouldn't boot; the windows load bar just kept running.

Nothing I did corrected it, and nvraid also failed to detect array 50% of the time. So I took the opportunity to reinstall xp64. I installed the amdx2 driver (which I had never done originally) and then installed WoW. The game still had the stutter, but I went ahead and played for several hours that night. Well, what do you know, it wouldn't even boot in safe mode the next morning.

So, here I am, not sure what to RMA, if anything. To make matters worse, I have an EMT-B National Registry test on tuesday and all my sorry ass can think about is my stupid pc. Great timing...

btw, I'm running an x2 4800 on an asus a8n-sli premium, 7800gtx 512, 2gb corsair 3500LL, 2 x raptor 74gb in raid0 and a pc power and cooling turbo cool 510 sli. My sig won't save for some reason.
 
jokerx225 said:
Can we install both hot fixes at the same time or does this cause problems?

dont install any until you have to.

the games i played run fine, a few others here have also mentioned they didn't have any problems from the start. install windows and normal drivers, then load your games, if it doesn't have any problems done do it.

i installed one hotfix but fixed the problem, so i disabled it.
 
marley1 said:
dont install any until you have to.

the games i played run fine, a few others here have also mentioned they didn't have any problems from the start. install windows and normal drivers, then load your games, if it doesn't have any problems done do it.

i installed one hotfix but fixed the problem, so i disabled it.
Told you you would have problems with that game! (NFS:MW)
 
All of these apply to opterons also?

Oh yeah, is the first post fully updated to today's terms? What I see on the post is exactly what I will get?
 
SSlaytanic said:
All of these apply to opterons also?

Oh yeah, is the first post fully updated to today's terms? What I see on the post is exactly what I will get?

Yes, they apply to opterons

I think you'll see the same stuff as in the first post...if there's soemthing different let me know and I can re-work it ;).
 
I installed the software "fixes" and everything works just fine. However, I noticed a slow-down
of the system outside any game - could this have something to do with the "fixes" I installed?
 
Fridericus said:
I installed the software "fixes" and everything works just fine. However, I noticed a slow-down
of the system outside any game - could this have something to do with the "fixes" I installed?

just so others have updated list

what games did you have prblemns with, and what fixes did you apply?

thanks :)
 
I had problems with Rome Total War and installed the 2 fixes - I really can not say which fix worked.
But now, I have some Window reaction slower, such as getting responses from the CD disk drive, etc. Since this is a new system, I may have to clock up the computer ( not easy for someone who does not know - how!). Could the "Window fix" cause this type of problem?
 
liquid51 said:
I have had stutter issues with xp64. It's what originally prompted me to reinstall xp32.

I also seem to be having some problems (ha, thats an understatement) related to the amd driver.

I installed it for xp32 and COD2/BF2 ran awesome. But, WoW and Doom3 still stutter (after all 4 fixes attempted). Then, after running with the hotfix and amd driver for about a week, my wife says it locked on her. She rebooted with no issues, but the following morning, it wouldn't boot; the windows load bar just kept running.

Nothing I did corrected it, and nvraid also failed to detect array 50% of the time. So I took the opportunity to reinstall xp64. I installed the amdx2 driver (which I had never done originally) and then installed WoW. The game still had the stutter, but I went ahead and played for several hours that night. Well, what do you know, it wouldn't even boot in safe mode the next morning.

So, here I am, not sure what to RMA, if anything. To make matters worse, I have an EMT-B National Registry test on tuesday and all my sorry ass can think about is my stupid pc. Great timing...

btw, I'm running an x2 4800 on an asus a8n-sli premium, 7800gtx 512, 2gb corsair 3500LL, 2 x raptor 74gb in raid0 and a pc power and cooling turbo cool 510 sli. My sig won't save for some reason.

Try 32bit XP with *just* the hotfix and see how your system is without the AMD Driver. If you still have problems try a different vid card driver (revert all the way back to the 77.77's if you have to, there are people who have problems with all drivers in the 80 series). If you still have problems then its probably hardware related (Motherboard like previously mentioned would be a good start)
 
Fridericus said:
I had problems with Rome Total War and installed the 2 fixes - I really can not say which fix worked.
But now, I have some Window reaction slower, such as getting responses from the CD disk drive, etc. Since this is a new system, I may have to clock up the computer ( not easy for someone who does not know - how!). Could the "Window fix" cause this type of problem?

I'd try removing the /usepmtimer out of your boot.ini first and see if that helps.
 
Fridericus said:
Kindly tell me how to access boot.ini - thank you!

It's in the OP ;).

OP said:
2. Add the /usepmtimer switch to your boot.ini file manually
Right Click My Computer
Properties
Advanced Tab
Startup and Recovery -> Settings
To edit the startup options manually, click edit -> Edit

This should bring up a .txt file with your boot.ini file

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyrj's boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /bootlogo /usepmtimer



Add the /usepmtimer as noted above and it will do what the driver does for you. If it is already there and you still have problems, you might want to take it out and try again, or try one of the other fixes.
 
Thank you - I found it and took out the "usepmtimer/".

I will try the game again today and let you know what I found.
 
Rome Total War is playing fine, even without the usepmtimer.

However, I am getting CTDs for Medieval Total War (newly installed), could be the dual-core again - or is there another explanation possible (game worked on my Dell/Intel/Sgl.-core)?

I will re-install the timer and try again if you agree!
 
If you look in the OP, it also tells you how to disable the hotfix if you need to do that.
 
I had to re-install the "first Hotfix", since after playing Rome Total War for awhile the old problem of different speeds in the game reappeared. RTW definetely needs this fix when playing with a dual-core computer (at least mine).

Now, I am somewhat lost with the Medieval Total War CTDs just before loading the game after selecting the game parameters.
 
Back
Top