Drought over? 300,000+ PPD, 2 boxen,1200 watts. Goal Achieved.

agreed, but with the GTX460 768mb creeping ever closer to $125, they might just match the 450

A followup from Dr. Pande in the same thread is a little more optimistic-sounding:

But this is all moot since big adv is not ending. We are working on new big adv WUs. Just that there can be shortages from time to time as the science we do changes.

A followup from Dr. Pande in the same thread is a little more optimistic-sounding:

But this is all moot since big adv is not ending. We are working on new big adv WUs. Just that there can be shortages from time to time as the science we do changes.
aw man, I already traded in my SR2 for a fleet of GTS450s

(jk, jk)

agreed, but with the GTX460 768mb creeping ever closer to $125, they might just match the 450
Unfortunately, both these cards seem not to have dropped at all in local pricing, don't know about Canadian e-tailers though.

Yeah I saw Vijay's post and follow up, with a fair bit of news that is promising. Both diseases are horrible and it's nice to see they are being focused on.

"But this is all moot since big adv is not ending. We are working on new big adv WUs. Just that there can be shortages from time to time as the science we do changes.

Also, note that bigger WUs != more science all the time, but often more challenging systems from a computationally point of view. Some science problems are big systems and some are small. Alzheimer's peptides are small, CJD prions are big. One could debate which is a worse disease, but big here is just different in some ways, i.e. allows us to go after different systems with similar techniques as we'd look a smaller ones."

In terms of video cards, I know that my stock EVGA GTX 470 uses exactly 137 watts folding. My Opteron rig uses 308 watts, and with the GTX 470 it uses 445.

It's hard to say whether one is worth it over the other. But, the GPUs have the advantage of being consistent to a higher extent at this time.

I think the bottom line for us folders is that diversification may be the best approach. I've got two virgin folding rigs just waiting to have some sexy graphics cards plugged into their slots, and perhaps i'll rethink my decision to only do CPU only folding when my financial situation becomes a bit better. Lets hope for a quick release of the ATI GPU client so that I won't have to resort to *gasp* buying nVidia stuff. It is bad enough that I had to buy Intel processors for the folding rigs because AMD doesn't have much for high end .

SR2-1 SR2-2
2685 2685 - Saturday
2686 2685
6021 2692
2685 2684
2686 6701 - Tuesday
6701 2686 - Tuesday night
2684 2686 - Wednesday
6061 2684 - Thursday

Wheels are coming off a bit here, down to 160,000ppd = half capacity. Such a good run was going to be a bit hard to sustain.

Ok, looks like slowpoke SR2#1 needs a kick in the head - I have set this 6701 for -oneunit and at the end of it I am going to change the machine ID. Humour me, what I am doing is probably soothsayering, but at least it feels like I am doing something about it ;)

bwm have pulled another 2 slots higher than me on the world ranking. I wonder if they are crunching all their 6701s? :rolleyes:

I think the bottom line for us folders is that diversification may be the best approach. I've got two virgin folding rigs just waiting to have some sexy graphics cards plugged into their slots, and perhaps i'll rethink my decision to only do CPU only folding when my financial situation becomes a bit better. Lets hope for a quick release of the ATI GPU client so that I won't have to resort to *gasp* buying nVidia stuff. It is bad enough that I had to buy Intel processors for the folding rigs because AMD doesn't have much for high end .

:D :eek:

EDIT: I added my MSI Cyclone GTS 450 OC (@850mhz) to my main GPU folding box today:

So far I'm seeing this:

Project ID: 10973
Core: OPENMMGPU
Credit: 925
Frames: 100

Number of Frames Observed: 77

Min. Time / Frame : 00:01:00 - 13,320 PPD
Avg. Time / Frame : 00:01:03 - 12,686 PPD
Cur. Time / Frame : 00:01:05 - 12,295 PPD
R3F. Time / Frame : 00:01:05 - 12,295 PPD
All Time / Frame : 00:01:03 - 12,686 PPD
Eff. Time / Frame : 00:01:03 - 12,686 PPD

Not too shabby for 100 watts power usage.

Last edited:

Old folders always know to diversify the clients to get the most consistent output. We all saw various examples of discrepancies as new clients and/or workunits get released with the following collective screaming.

Having a good mix of SMP¨and GPU will yield a good output regardless of the future outcome.

SR2-1 SR2-2
2685 2685 - Saturday
2686 2685
6021 2692
2685 2684
2686 6701 - Tuesday
6701 2686 - Tuesday night
2684 2686 - Wednesday
6061 2684 - Thursday
6055 - Friday
6067 2692

Ok, so the resetting machine ID did diddly squat for SR2#1. I must say it was decent of you all to remain silent rather than call me a looney-bird for trying.:p

But do you notice the difference in treatment between the siblings? Faster SR2#2 has had one SMP in a run 8 bigadv. :eek:

What we need is a dozen more 4.3Ghz hex SR2s for [H] to test on as a control group... anyone? ;)

Can't really help you with that one... :)

I woke up today to 2686s on both of the SR-2s and a 2685 on the non-SR-2 dual hex, which is always nice. Unfortunately, the 970 just picked up a 2684, so I am not quite at my max potential output of around 400K ppd...HFM is showing 373K at the moment...

I woke up today to 2686s on both of the SR-2s and a 2685 on the non-SR-2 dual hex, which is always nice. Unfortunately, the 970 just picked up a 2684, so I am not quite at my max potential output of around 400K ppd...HFM is showing 373K at the moment...
You're producing 400k on only three -bigadv clients?

4 machines if you look at his sig. yup thats... 7 hexes :D
I see now. I commented on his post and had sigs disabled but that makes much more sense. Even with three high end machines, it's very hard top get that kind of production out of only three boxen with the Attack of the 67's the past week or two. That's why I had wondered. But, yeah, 4 machines is more believable no matter what WUs are in the mix... :D

I see now. I commented on his post and had sigs disabled but that makes much more sense. Even with three high end machines, it's very hard top get that kind of production out of only three boxen with the Attack of the 67's the past week or two. That's why I had wondered. But, yeah, 4 machines is more believable no matter what WUs are in the mix... :D

That is 400K max potential, not actual average. If the third dually was an SR-2 or had a pair of X5680s in it, I would be very close to 400K ppd potential on three. As it is, the three are going to max out in the 330K-3340K range. The 970 adds the additonal ppd to put my max in the 400K range. All of that being said, I'll be lucky to average 275K-300K with these machines and the current WU allocation our friends at Stanford hand out...

Back