Droid

^^ I have a Zagg invisible shield on my iPod Touch...it is *awesome*. For the first few days the skin has a little bit of a catch to it when you use the touch screen, but this goes away with time. Installation was not as hard as people make it seem, as long as you follow the directions.

I plan to purchase the body protection for my DROID as well, but as of yet the DROID has proven to be super durable for me (I don't *abuse* it). It seems very very well made. I am undecided on if I'd apply a screen protector though, as the Gorilla Glass used on the DROID is amazingly scratch resistant.

Ð

as anyone tried any of these invisible sheilds? The crappy screen protector I got at the Verizon store just attracts way too much debris and smears really bad. I just wanted to get a vouch for it before it got it. I want to get the whole phone protector, but dunno if it'd be worth it since I already have a hard rubber case on it too.

Thanks!

I had the Zagg shield on my Droid and I hated it. I spent at least an hour putting it on perfectly only to have it orange peel when it eventually all dried. It also seemed very tacky, nothing like the bare glass. I gave it a week before I removed it hoping it would get better. Right now I have a Steinheil Crystal on and it is great. They are very smooth, easy to get on ( no water needed) and seems like it will protect very well. You also get 2 in the package just in case you mess up.

http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_67/products_id/998

Last edited:
After many years of waiting, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased an android phone (over an iphone), more specifically, the Motorola Droid. I couldn't be happier.

I also purchased an entire invisishield cover for my droid, application was easy for the most part. My only gripe is that the invisishield is prone to have translucent vertical streaks (which don't go away).

After many years of waiting, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased an android phone (over an iphone), more specifically, the Motorola Droid. I couldn't be happier.

I also purchased an entire invisishield cover for my droid, application was easy for the most part. My only gripe is that the invisishield is prone to have translucent vertical streaks (which don't go away).

What is your honest opinion of this phone ? What other "smart" phones did you use previous to the DROID ?

What is your honest opinion of this phone ? What other "smart" phones did you use previous to the DROID ?
Prior to my purchase I've never owned a smart phone. But I thoroughly got to use iPhones, black berries, and other android based phones. The Motorola Droid, as you know, comes with a physical keyboard. However, the keyboard is probably the worst I've handled. The buttons are virtually flushed against each other making it hard to ID what button you're pushing. Application switching and landscape/portrait switching is good. Scrolling and sliding between screens/homes isn't as seemless as the iphone though. Overall I am pleased. I would of opted for the Nexus 1 but I did not want to pay full retail.

It's awesome, used the hero prior, the droid is faster but the hero was a better physical design. Nexus One looks frickin amazing but tmobile sucks balls.

Ive used the invisishield on my 4 year old iPod and it's still doing great. I've taken my own keys and tried to scratch it myself. Their application process is easier now. Before they included a spray that left a lot of moisture and microbubbles. Now they include a sponge, and IMO, may it way easier to align pieces. There are 15 indivual pieces for the Droid body cover, most of them are thin strips.

It's awesome, used the hero prior, the droid is faster but the hero was a better physical design. Nexus One looks frickin amazing but tmobile sucks balls.

T-Mobile blows monkey balls that's for sure. I guess I will wait until Verizon gets the Nexus-1. Is there any specific date on that yet ? And I wonder if the bugs will have been worked out, and the N-1 on Verizon will be slightly revised at all ?

There is a bug on the Nexus-1 and not sure if it is T-mo or bad hardware;
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/25/google-nexus-one-3g-issues-result-of-poor-coverage-bugs-patch/

T-Mobile blows monkey balls that's for sure. I guess I will wait until Verizon gets the Nexus-1. Is there any specific date on that yet ? And I wonder if the bugs will have been worked out, and the N-1 on Verizon will be slightly revised at all ?

There is a bug on the Nexus-1 and not sure if it is T-mo or bad hardware;
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/25/google-nexus-one-3g-issues-result-of-poor-coverage-bugs-patch/

No specific date, but it'll be available for Verizon customers in Q1 of this year (according to Verizon rep).

Hey i was wondering if anyone knows when 2.1 is going to come out? I though it was going to come out the 22 but i guess not =/

Hmm, maybe I will load an unofficial one. I heard there'll be a google phone on Verizon. Is this just rumor also?

So I nearly had to hard reset my Droid yesterday, messing with the unlock swipe codes and stuff. I set up a swipe code, which I apparently forgot exactly how I did it...and over the course of trying what I thought was the code I set, I ended up locking it. That's when I encountered a serious bug in Android that apparently has been there since at least June of last year - if you mess up the unlock code too many times, it asks you to sign in with your google account to reset it...except it won't recognize your password, at all. I had to take advantage of the security exploit where someone calls your phone, add a new gmail account, and then use that username and password to unlock the phone.

So careful with those unlock codes! (And seeing as how it's ridiculously easy to get around the unlock screen...honestly, it's not worth the bother.)

Still loving my Droid though!

Droids physical KB is aliitle rough at first but once u get use to it rox.
I have mine running at 1ghz and running glass theme with nexus1 3d
multi touch gallery milestone multi touch browser and multi touch Google
maps and this phone runs WAY smoother then my old iPhone 3gs at 800mhz
and flies at 1ghz.

Well since my current contract with Verizon doesn't end until July, I got some time to see what other Android phone is coming out this year.

Hopefully another phone with a physical keyboard will pop up.

Anyone have any guides on obtaining root and loading multitouch?

so much information to read, and so much to take it - cannot find a solid source..

Droids physical KB is aliitle rough at first but once u get use to it rox.
I have mine running at 1ghz and running glass theme with nexus1 3d
multi touch gallery milestone multi touch browser and multi touch Google
maps and this phone runs WAY smoother then my old iPhone 3gs at 800mhz
and flies at 1ghz.

How'd you do that? And what's your batter like now?

Anyone have any guides on obtaining root and loading multitouch?

so much information to read, and so much to take it - cannot find a solid source..

You can download SholeMod from the marketplace for $5 or get it from sholes.info. It roots, ROMs and can restore all on it's own. Or you can wait a few weeks since the 2.1 update is being tested by Verizon now and includes multi-touch browser.

You can download SholeMod from the marketplace for $5 or get it from sholes.info. It roots, ROMs and can restore all on it's own. Or you can wait a few weeks since the 2.1 update is being tested by Verizon now and includes multi-touch browser.

You have to root it to overclock it though.

For some reason the facebook app drained half my battery today (it's only noon here, only sent one text and checked an email once or twice) 89% of my battery was used by it. Not sure what it's doing. Android zombie phone?

For some reason the facebook app drained half my battery today (it's only noon here, only sent one text and checked an email once or twice) 89% of my battery was used by it. Not sure what it's doing. Android zombie phone?

I noticed that as well. I've turned auto sync off and noticed my battery life double if not triple!

Long hold on your desktop and go to Widgets, then scroll down until you see "power control". Click it, though you have to make sure you have a 1high x 4wide amount of space available.
This provides very quick access to wifi, bluetooth, gps, auto sync and screen brightness.
I keep wifi, bluetooth and GPS turned off for the most part unless I need them.
When I want to get the latest updates for face book, e-mail and other things I enable sync until the "3G" at the top of the screen stops transmitting/receiving data (normally 5-20 seconds).
The screen brightness toggles three levels of screen brightness. 0, 30 and 100%. I find 30 to be the best for 95% of the time.

having done that I can VERY eaisly go all day long with fairly heavy use of the phone and apps. Most of the time I'm going 2 days with light use of the phone and apps.
I've found the biggest killer of the battery is leaving GPS and auto sync turned on

Sweet!

@pwrusr - I've had it since it was released and only had the problem today. I ended up rebooting the phone and it's fine now. Something was going non stop.

Wondering, if I just signed a 2 year w/Verizon, what would I need to do to get the Google Phone when it is released? Buy it outright? Will they let me do that? I'd like to sell the droid and get it. I had the HTC hero and liked the physical design better than droid but the droid is way faster. The Google Phone is the best of both IMO.

Sweet!

@pwrusr - I've had it since it was released and only had the problem today. I ended up rebooting the phone and it's fine now. Something was going non stop.

Wondering, if I just signed a 2 year w/Verizon, what would I need to do to get the Google Phone when it is released? Buy it outright? Will they let me do that? I'd like to sell the droid and get it. I had the HTC hero and liked the physical design better than droid but the droid is way faster. The Google Phone is the best of both IMO.

I'm sure you can pick one up on eBay after it's released. Probably be a $300 swing though since the Nexus One's will probably go for around $500-600 right at launch and the Droids go for $350-400 now and will be worth less after the Nexus One comes out.

Personally, I'm selling my Droid since I don't want to pay for the data I don't use, but I might pick another one up in 6 months since I really liked it. The physical keyboard makes it worthwhile to keep the Droid IMO.

Got mine all setup today at 800mhz with bugless beast. Have setcpu, Adfree, and spare parts

I love this phone.

How is the music player on the droid? I'm looking at smartphones and it's important that the music player is fast and good. And can it sync with winamp?

Also, the Droid is currently on sale for $109 with a new contract

How is the music player on the droid? I'm looking at smartphones and it's important that the music player is fast and good. And can it sync with winamp?

Also, the Droid is currently on sale for $109 with a new contract

Music playback isn't bad. As good as my old iPhone 3G was. The 2.1 music player is much better then the 2.0 version though. Huge improvement. :)

To my knowledge Motorola Media Link will sync with iTunes or Windows Media Player. Dunno about Winamp though. You'd have to research.

Root, overclock, wait till new ROMs based on 2.1 come out and install one.

Yep there's no reason to wait on rooting. Many of the ROMs have plenty of the 2.1 modules anyways. For instance Sholes 2.0.3 is already on the 2.1 launcher, 2.1 browser with multitouch, 2.1 music app, 2.1 maps and others.

Why wait on rooting just so you can get the "official" 2.1? Just root, enjoy the Droid like that until people like Pete (Bugless Beast/Beauty ROMs) and Sholes bring rooted 2.1 ROMs to the table.

Rooted my Droid two days ago. Flashed to Sholes 2.0.3 using all the 2.1 stuff and Smoked Glass theme. Honestly, wish I had done it long ago because the phone is so much better now. Battery life is through the roof thanks to SetCPU. Nice having a throttling CPU to conserve power. Not to mention OCing the chip so performance is better when in use. Just can't beat it. I'm not a huge fan of Google but they hit a home run with Android. :)

Rooted my Droid two days ago. Flashed to Sholes 2.0.3 using all the 2.1 stuff and Smoked Glass theme. Honestly, wish I had done it long ago because the phone is so much better now. Battery life is through the roof thanks to SetCPU. Nice having a throttling CPU to conserve power. Not to mention OCing the chip so performance is better when in use. Just can't beat it. I'm not a huge fan of Google but they hit a home run with Android. :)
What kind of battery life are you getting with it now compared to before?

I honestly haven't noticed any battery life difference from stock since I've been running Bugless Beast @ 950 Mhz. If anything, my battery life is better because I'm using SetCPU to underclock it to 250 MHz while my phone is idle/standby.

I haven't noticed any increase in heat output either. It would get warm sometimes even at stock when using GPS or something demanding. So it still gets warm, but not any hotter than stock.

Also, the most important part; the phone does load and run apps considerably faster with the OC. I highly recommend doing it, esp. since I haven't heard of a single person killing their phone in the last month they've been doing this (and I'm on android forums constantly).

Like T4rd said battery life is actually better. I only run mine at 800mhz when i'm using it. Thinking about boosting it but dunno yet. Not really worth it right now. I downclock to 250 with the SetCPU profiles when phone is sleeping or charging so battery life is much better. Droid battery life was better then my iPhone 3G was but not by much. Now it just flat out embarrasses the iPhone in battery life.

So is it worth rooting my droid .even though 2.1 is around the corner? On a sidenote , when will swype be available.?

Back