Dragon's Dogma 2

I'm disappointed they haven't even made an attempt to improve the performance, I was expecting this patch to address it slightly. The issue with the game is there is no culling (frustum, occlusion, etc.). Hopefully next patch, the game is great other than the performance.

I'm disappointed they haven't even made an attempt to improve the performance, I was expecting this patch to address it slightly. The issue with the game is there is no culling (frustum, occlusion, etc.). Hopefully next patch, the game is great other than the performance.
What makes you think there's no culling in the engine? Those are pretty basic things.

Dlss frame generation is a nice boost, I think I'll buy this next sale now...

Waiting on REFramework to be updated here before I start my first game of DD2. I can't really play without the FOV boost and mouse smoothing fix that comes with it; motion sickness is too much for my brain without those fixes.

What makes you think there's no culling in the engine? Those are pretty basic things.

Dlss frame generation is a nice boost, I think I'll buy this next sale now...
Well once I clipped through a wall and noticed nothing was culled as usual in other games, maybe their implementation is just different.

You’re saying the inclusion of frame gen did nothing for performance?

You’re saying the inclusion of frame gen did nothing for performance?
It makes the game smoother, but adds undesirable input latency. The game without frame-gen runs mostly between 40-70 fps depending on the location. So going up to 80-140 FPS with framegen will feel more like 30-60 FPS, but less visually jarring, due to the increased smoothness. Framegen is a good addition to the game but does not fix performance.

It makes the game smoother, but adds undesirable input latency. The game without frame-gen runs mostly between 40-70 fps depending on the location. So going up to 80-140 FPS with framegen will feel more like 30-60 FPS, but less visually jarring, due to the increased smoothness. Framegen is a good addition to the game but does not fix performance.
So are you playing with frame gen on or off?

So are you playing with frame gen on or off?
When I played, I chose not to use frame gen, I did test it and it did make the game smooth (via RE Framework and FG Mod, it worked flawlessly). I ended up capping my FPS at 50 instead which was a pretty decent experience, but I prefer minimizing latency. Framegen is great for people who don't notice the latency added from it.

RE Engine does have culling and Dragon's Dogma 2 is using those features, but they're very outdated compared to culling methods we have now. Remember earlier in the thread when I had mentioned that this was the first open world game to use the engine and there might be issues. RE Engine works extremely well in games like Resident Evil where you're just herded through corridors, or fighting games that have small arenas, but a persistent open world RPG is another ball game.

Somewhat ironically, MT Framework was originally designed by Capcom to handle games like Lost Planet due to Unreal Engine 3 being severely limited in how well it performed with larger games like it, or games that had many active AI entities like Dead Rising. Funny how Capcom went in the direction of Unreal Engine with their successor.

The successor to RE Engine is supposedly more robust to handle a wider variety of game types, but who knows when and what game will use it.

Back