Downgrading from Vista x64 to Vista x86?

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
So, I found out that Vista x64 can't seamlessly integrate HD movies into VMC. I was wondering, do I have to reformat to downgrade to x86 or can I just reinstall and keep all of my files, etc already on the HDD?

Durn...I got a crap load of files to backup and very few places to back them up...

....but it is a GREAT reason to go out and buy another external HDD!

So, I found out that Vista x64 can't seamlessly integrate HD movies into VMC. I was wondering, do I have to reformat to downgrade to x86 or can I just reinstall and keep all of my files, etc already on the HDD?

Why can't you just run a VM of an x86 OS?

Extra cost? cost of vmware + os, (unless u use crappy ms virual pc)

Huh?

He has Vista x64. Which means he has the keys for both x64 and 32bit. He can run his 32bit OS on Virtualbox, which is FREE, and is the total opposite of crappy conjecture, by far.

Not to mention I'm sure he has a copy of WinXP Pro lying around somewhere. He had to have upgraded from it at one point or another.

vmware server is also free, and I thought the CDKey was for one install or the other, not both 32/64 at the same time

I thought the CDKey was for one install or the other, not both 32/64 at the same time
It is. The Vista key will work on either platform, but you can technically only use one at a time.
You're forgetting the best one out there...VirtualBox...which is also free.

ok forgot about virtualbox, I've been using vmware for so long it's the only one for me :p
but i admit virtualbox is pretty good.
As far the vista license goes yes u get cds for 32 and 64 bit install but the cd key is meant to be used for one or the other not both simultaneously

are you sure Vista x86 can do this, last I check you still have to use an external (PowerDVD) to play HD-DVD/Bluray movies in Vista Media Center x86 (what i run on my HTPC)..

are you sure Vista x86 can do this, last I check you still have to use an external (PowerDVD) to play HD-DVD/Bluray movies in Vista Media Center x86 (what i run on my HTPC)..

YEah, from what w1retap was saying in the stick in the HTPC forum, you can.

As for running a VM...it's an HTPC, I particularly don't want to deal with that hassle.

However...my x64 key will work for x86?

Yes, almost all Vista keys work for both x64 and x86.

You just need to get the right media (they have a x64 disc and an x86 disc)

Exactly what VMware product are you referring to? Server and Player are both free (with the side note of using Server to create and configure the VM). Workstation and most certainly ESX are overkill for the OP, and are priced for specific features that are out of scope of the OP's needs.

Regardless of your virtualization misinformation presented, the cost of the OS is a sunk cost no matter what virtualization product used (or even another physical box) for the x86 version of Vista.

Back