DoubleSight DS-263N - 26"

Is there a polarizer out there that can be bought that would mount on this monitor? I am thinking of things like anti glare filters available for some smaller monitors.

I didn't get any dead or stuck pixels. Mine is uniform with small bit of faint black light bleeding, about at inch, at the top center and it's barely noticeable.

It is the same issue with mine, HOWEVER, it is due to the frame of the monitor putting pressue on the edge of the panel, as when I lift the frame from the panel, the white 'bleed' disappears. I tried just stretching it hoping the frame would stay that way permanent, but avast, it did not. It's only noticeable when I am watching something that almost totally black and has black bars at the top and bottom. Otherwise I can't notice it at all.

Edit: Also, I'd like to revise my first review. I do not think I have the polarizer anymore. It is no big of deal to me as I am always going to be viewing this monitor from straight on. I bought this monitor for the size, colors, and two DVI inputs. If there was dead pixels though or any other issues (blacklight bleeding) I would have returned it.

Wow, newegg just sent me like 4 emails and said that they are going to contact the related department to further investigate the issue and even sent me a pre-paid shipping label. I'm not really sure if I want to return the screen even without the polarizer.

I also don't have the original box anymore, so I doubt I could return this anyway.

Are there any other bang-for-your-buck screens besides the DS-263N? If not, I might hold on to this one. I don't even view this from an angle as it's my main computer screen.

I was considering using the "it's too bright for my eyes" argument to send mine back and score a 265W if it came with a polarizer. However if DS support is saying it's not going to, it sounds like the "polarizer lottery" will just continue. It's not worth sending it back for a new logo badge and a new stand. I don't have any bad pixels with mine either so that's just another lottery I'd be entering.

I was considering using the "it's too bright for my eyes" argument to send mine back and score a 265W if it came with a polarizer. However if DS support is saying it's not going to, it sounds like the "polarizer lottery" will just continue. It's not worth sending it back for a new logo badge and a new stand. I don't have any bad pixels with mine either so that's just another lottery I'd be entering.

The A-TW polarizer lottery could have been a single manufacturing mistake that was in a single batch. Ah, well, I think I am going to keep this screen. It doesn't really bother me.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the info in this thread, learned more than I ever thought possible about LCDs. I ordered one of these from newegg a couple of weeks ago and have been using it for about a week, and it really is well worth the money. I had my doubts when I read about some of the problems people were having, but one glance at it once I got it and all my worries instantly diminished.

Anyways, I got mine from the egg, it was shipped out of Illinois, received it with minimal damage to the box, got it setup and it definitely has the A-TW polarizer on it as it definitely has a redish hue when viewed close from extreme angles. I've got another weird thing with mine in that it works fine with my main machine but when I try to run it as a second monitor with my Thinkpad, running through the d-sub connector I get a picture that doesn't horizontally sync quite right, it jumps left and right about 4-5 pixels.

I have tried contacting IBM/Lenovo tech support and they were very helpful in trying to troubleshoot the problem but I had to get going and he was running out of ideas so I'll be calling him back in a couple of days as we both have a chance to think about it some more. At this point I'm pretty sure its the monitor and not my laptop as the laptop drives my wife's 24" sony lcd perfectly fine through d-sub, and several other monitors I've tried it with haven't had any problems. Weird thing is I hooked up my wife's Dell laptop through the d-sub to my DS-263N and it also looks fine.

I'm going to try doublesight's tech support in the morning and see if they have any ideas or if I just have a defective unit. If anyone else is getting this kind of problem, please share, or if you happen to know a fix, please do share!

Thanx

If the monitor works fine on the other laptop then there's no need to send it back. Looks like there is an issue with lenovo's d-sub in displaying the monitor's native resolution.

Ahh what to do? I just got mine a few days ago from newegg when they came back in stock. Hooked it up. Looks ok for the most part, but there's some issues.

1. 1 dead red pixel near the center (i think I can live with it)
2. Line of about 6 dead black pixels near the left edge. (again I think I can deal) =7?? is that worthy of warranty there?
3. The joystick thing to move around the menu sucks, it's very hard to get it to do what i want. (just a poor design I think)
4. I noticed that the bezel at the bottom isn't put together right. There's a tab that should be tucked inside the front part of the bezel, but it's bent and sticking out. (a minor issue, I can only see it if I look underneath)
5. the big issue.. (I noticed today if I bump my desk a bit too hard, and the screen shakes a bit, something goes awry with the signal, and everything gets some crazy blue cast, or green cast, or completely loses signal. I haven't tried another cable yet (using the one it came with, going to borrow another DVI from work tomorrow to test) But I have a feeling it's something to do with the connector on the board inside the monitor. It's screwed in tight, and touching it makes it go blank or funky colored.
6. Don't think it has a polarizer. It seems to be hazy white from extreme angles. :confused:

I see now that after I wrote all this out, I should just call Newegg, and see if they'll take it back. From the sounds of it, it's now discontinued, should I wait for the 265 if they will refund me? Anyone else have similar issues?

If the monitor works fine on the other laptop then there's no need to send it back. Looks like there is an issue with lenovo's d-sub in displaying the monitor's native resolution.

Hey madgun,

Thanks for the response but I'm not convinced its the d-sub on my thinkpad either because every single other flat panel I've hooked it up to including my wife's 24" 1920x1200 Sony doesn't have a problem. I think it may be that the monitor is a little overly sensitive to the sync signal? Or maybe there's some configuration options that I can set on the monitor?? I've been through the menus and have played around with just about everything with no luck, so if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears!

Thanx

I played hours of AoC on this panel last night with all on, all maxed, AA|AF. It was flipping stunning. I am not sorry about my purchase one bit and I really appreciate it now. I tried Crysis before that. Same thing. Just incredible.

I played hours of AoC on this panel last night with all on, all maxed, AA|AF. It was flipping stunning. I am not sorry about my purchase one bit and I really appreciate it now. I tried Crysis before that. Same thing. Just incredible.

So you don't regret not having a polarizer at all? I played a bit of old school Doom 2 last night, and it was awesome.

Hey madgun,

Thanks for the response but I'm not convinced its the d-sub on my thinkpad either because every single other flat panel I've hooked it up to including my wife's 24" 1920x1200 Sony doesn't have a problem. I think it may be that the monitor is a little overly sensitive to the sync signal? Or maybe there's some configuration options that I can set on the monitor?? I've been through the menus and have played around with just about everything with no luck, so if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears!

Thanx

I can't tell you what page it was on, but I seem to remember someone talking about the sub par analog connection on this panel in terms of needing to tweak positioning etc.

So you don't regret not having a polarizer at all? I played a bit of old school Doom 2 last night, and it was awesome.

I've been playing LoTRO and WoW on this and I've been loving it. I've no regrets with mine not having a polarizer.

I even got crazy and celebrated the announcement of Diablo 3 and cranked out some 800 x 600 D2: LoD goodness all day today. Andarial will die tomorrow! :p

Just a little update, mine just shipped...from Nevada. I don't remember seeing anyone mention a warehouse in Nevada. This is from Amazon by the way.

Okay, I just got off the phone with tech support. They stated that every 263N comes with the standard polarizer and not the A-TW polarizer. I asked if any had in the past, and they said no.

I asked if the 265-W will come with the A-TW polarizer. It will not. :[

I also asked to have this in writing so that I could email newegg with the info. I should be getting an email any second now.

Edit:

Here's the email:

Well then, I have no reason to wait for the 265 then. Extra connectors be damned too, sigh.

How are people dealing with using component sources?

I have a Wii and a cable STB, and although the STB works fine with a component->HDMI converter from monoprice, the Wii looks nasty through it, and even managed to cause the monitor to "lock up" (hard power down required). The converter also cannot handle switching signals, so my STB has to be set to always put out 1080i, for example.

I really do not want a different monitor, I love this one so much I unhook it and take it to bed with me every night to use as a pillow. But other than buying a receiver ($$$), I am not sure how to get this setup to smoothly work.

I can't tell you what page it was on, but I seem to remember someone talking about the sub par analog connection on this panel in terms of needing to tweak positioning etc.

K, this is rather weird but I'm not complaining. So tonight when I got home I played around with it some more and said hmmm let me try Ubuntu from a CD and see what happens and the display had no problems what so ever running through the d-sub using Ubuntu in live cd mode. K so I reboot into windows determined to fix the problem now that I know its not a hardware thing, and to my surprise it all seems to be working fine. So apparently all it took was a reboot with the external display plugged in. I can handle that.

Just wanted to share, just in case others were having issues connecting through the d-sub.

Thanx

K, this is rather weird but I'm not complaining. So tonight when I got home I played around with it some more and said hmmm let me try Ubuntu from a CD and see what happens and the display had no problems what so ever running through the d-sub using Ubuntu in live cd mode. K so I reboot into windows determined to fix the problem now that I know its not a hardware thing, and to my surprise it all seems to be working fine. So apparently all it took was a reboot with the external display plugged in. I can handle that.

Just wanted to share, just in case others were having issues connecting through the d-sub.

Thanx

Ok, well nevermind then. Did another reboot and back to the normal shakyness. I'm wondering if Ubuntu may have set some timings and they worked fine for the next boot into windows, but the following reboot seemed to have brought all my problems back again. Back to the drawing board.....

Not now. I've got it tuned well. If I was looking at it from off angles for any period of time I might miss it. AoC and Crysis really impressed me. I didn't realize just how good the colors are on this thing.

Any of you guys having a hard time wwith the no signal found after the computer goes to sleep?

Is this normal?

Any of you guys having a hard time wwith the no signal found after the computer goes to sleep?

Is this normal?

Apparently this model has problems with getting a signal after coming out from sleep..

Workaround would be to turn the monitor off, instead of letting it go to sleep.

I got a different but similar problem... My monitor gets recognized fine after sleep, it's just that when I start/restart the computer, it doesn't get recognized during boot unless I ctr-alt-del it during the bios booting.. sorta weird.

Apparently this model has problems with getting a signal after coming out from sleep..

Workaround would be to turn the monitor off, instead of letting it go to sleep.

I got a different but similar problem... My monitor gets recognized fine after sleep, it's just that when I start/restart the computer, it doesn't get recognized during boot unless I ctr-alt-del it during the bios booting.. sorta weird.

Try installing the latest drivers from doublesight. Worked for me!

Also, my dead pixel is no more! :) I've never seen a pixel come back from the dead, I've seen stuck pixels fixed, but never a dead one!

Okay, I just got off the phone with tech support. They stated that every 263N comes with the standard polarizer and not the A-TW polarizer. I asked if any had in the past, and they said no.

I asked if the 265-W will come with the A-TW polarizer. It will not. :[

I also asked to have this in writing so that I could email newegg with the info. I should be getting an email any second now.

Edit:

Here's the email:

See Here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032697808&postcount=34

That's pretty explicit, seems there is a good chance for the A-TW on the 265W after all.

Doesn't matter for me though, after seeing the V2400W in person I'm going to jump on that (actually the G2400WD - VESA ftw) instead of the wait + $350 for the DS

Yeah, I just saw that. :[

I don't know what's going on, but I am going to try to send this screen back after all.

About 20 pages of this discussion ago I read the entire discussion and a bunch of posts elsewhere and decided to buy the monitor (as my primary and a HPw2007 as my "pallets" screen for my new Mac Pro system). First, I would like to thank everyone for the input and education that helped me with this decision making process. I would especially like to thank ToastyX who had a very detailed and informative evaluation, but who will cost me an extra $175.

I had purchased the Eye-One Display 2 for monitor calibration. I should explain that I am a digital retoucher and color and tone reproduction is critical. I calibrated both monitors. After recalibrating a few times I just wasn't satisfied with the calibration on the 263. A grayscale step wedge was perfect, but the colors weren't precise (for my work). I wasn't familiar with ColorEyes software, but based on ToastyX's post investigated the software. After a lot of reading I downloaded the demo version of the software and used some of ToastyX's settings as a starting point and calibrated both monitors. My grayscale step wedge wasn't as perfect (still not bad) as with the Xrite software, but the colors were much better, and both monitors now look pretty da..rn close! I will end-up buying ColorEyes.

It is early in my ownership, but I'm pretty happy with the monitor (and the entire system I have put together). Thanks again to ToastyX and everyone else who has participated in this discussion.

I'm posting this last comment in the hopes it saves a person like me much heartache.

I purchased a Samsung 2693HM from Best Buy. I wanted to see how good or bad the TN panel was and BB had the right return policy.

I read many forums, TN bad, TN horrible bla bla bla. So, I started to really scrutinized the Samsung. I had some color shift if looked at it from the side and if I sat on the floor, well the screen got dark.

Newegg then got the DS back in stock. So, I jumped on the deal. Well the monitor arrived without the polarizer.

I had the Samsung and the DS side by side. The Samsung BLEW AWAY THE DS. The white bloom from the missing polarizer was very apparent. Infact, the white was worse than any color shift ever.

So I fire up several games. The monitors felt similar in each... until I found a few dark games. UT3 with a dark map looked Ok on the DS but looked GREAT on the Samsung. Night and day difference here.

Next I fire up the BlueRay. Samsung destroys the DS here... I mean DESTROYS. I can not say this loud enough. From usability to picture, the Samsung looked at least 2x better. Samsung has the HDMI along with an audio out. Let's you plug directly into your 5.1 speakers, better for cable management. The HDMI to DVI was flaky at best with the DS. The picture, well the Samsung has such a rich black that it made the picture beautiful. Even straight on, the DS has a lighter black than the Samsung.

For anyone who claims to be a "professional and needs best color" go buy the NEC. If you get paid to edit images, get something that's dead on. The white wash on the DS was horrible. For everyone else, the DS without the polarizer is simply behind the Samsung TN panel.

I hope this saves at least one person the aggravation of reading forums hearing how bad TN is then returning 2x monitors only to come full circle and back where you started. Buy.com has a great return policy and sells the Samsung for $530 w/ free shipping. I can not think of a reason to spend more money for a 26" display unless your going for the NEC.

Peter.

I'm posting this last comment in the hopes it saves a person like me much heartache.

I purchased a Samsung 2693HM from Best Buy. I wanted to see how good or bad the TN panel was and BB had the right return policy.

I read many forums, TN bad, TN horrible bla bla bla. So, I started to really scrutinized the Samsung. I had some color shift if looked at it from the side and if I sat on the floor, well the screen got dark.

Newegg then got the DS back in stock. So, I jumped on the deal. Well the monitor arrived without the polarizer.

I had the Samsung and the DS side by side. The Samsung BLEW AWAY THE DS. The white bloom from the missing polarizer was very apparent. Infact, the white was worse than any color shift ever.

So I fire up several games. The monitors felt similar in each... until I found a few dark games. UT3 with a dark map looked Ok on the DS but looked GREAT on the Samsung. Night and day difference here.

Next I fire up the BlueRay. Samsung destroys the DS here... I mean DESTROYS. I can not say this loud enough. From usability to picture, the Samsung looked at least 2x better. Samsung has the HDMI along with an audio out. Let's you plug directly into your 5.1 speakers, better for cable management. The HDMI to DVI was flaky at best with the DS. The picture, well the Samsung has such a rich black that it made the picture beautiful. Even straight on, the DS has a lighter black than the Samsung.

For anyone who claims to be a "professional and needs best color" go buy the NEC. If you get paid to edit images, get something that's dead on. The white wash on the DS was horrible. For everyone else, the DS without the polarizer is simply behind the Samsung TN panel.

I hope this saves at least one person the aggravation of reading forums hearing how bad TN is then returning 2x monitors only to come full circle and back where you started. Buy.com has a great return policy and sells the Samsung for $530 w/ free shipping. I can not think of a reason to spend more money for a 26" display unless your going for the NEC.

Peter.

I would like to see some side by side comparison shots of this, since you claim the TN destroys an IPS panel.

The Samsung's availability alone leaves the door open - the simple fact that, I can buy it, try it, and return it in the space of maybe a few hours time. The DS is nowhere to be seen in the B&M space, which is just infuriating. The same can be said of the Benq G2400W (no B&M carries it).

Again, the biggest concern with TN's is the vertical viewing angle. After not having problems with VA horizontal gamma shift...I realized that vertical shift to me is the bigger deal.

I'm sorry, but I did not snap off any side by side pictures. If you seriously doubt my words, I can post some reciepts just to prove I've owned both.

The color, after calibration, of BOTH monitors was very good. The issue for the DS was black. The black on the DS was bad. You could not move your body anywhere to fix this issue. The monitor was calibrated using the Eye2 and calibrated to 120.

From ANY angle, the DS began becoming more white. Durring the viewing of movies, I fired up Transformers and LOTR the upper and lower band outside the 1080 was a distracting "gray". The movie itself had a washed out feel. Moving to UT3, this same trend continued. UT3 simply lost contrast on most maps (since they are darker).

The Samsung has an amazing black. The color head on, at least from what the eye2 tells me, is near perfect. To my eye, it is very pleasing and enhanced by dark blacks. If your off center the color shifts.

So the DS white blooms the Samsung color shifts when off center. After using both the color shift is much more pleasing to my eye than the white bloom. The white feels even worse when the lights are low for movie viewing.

Honestly, if you want perfect color buy an NEC. If you want a screen that has great color head on, plays games well, and is well suited to everyday use, the Samsung is not only better it is less expensive.

I'm extremely picky... if these things were not true, I would not be here trying to help others who may be like myself.

Peter.

Eh just got back from Best Buy. The vertical viewing angles of TN - atrocious. I did a few squats to simulate my head position from the monitor (3' out, 6" above surface) - ugh. Hell even with my head at the center of the monitor (~10-12" from surface), the vertical change of darkness was still readily apparent.

Really, the TN can only be used from a top-down perspective, and that's not possible with my desk.

GeminiCool said:
The picture, well the Samsung has such a rich black that it made the picture beautiful. Even straight on, the DS has a lighter black than the Samsung.
This is what I don't get. "TN" and "rich black" don't go together. I agree that the DS without the polarizer doesn't have the greatest black, but the TN panel should not have been much better. TN panels also have a white bloom, and the typical contrast is about the same. It's possible that you got a better-than-average TN panel, but the problem with TN panels is the quality varies between manufacturers, and when you get a Samsung monitor, you're not guaranteed to get a Samsung panel. The DS with the polarizer blows away any TN panel, and even comes close to the quality of the NEC 2690. I wish they would sort out the polarizer issue so people wouldn't have to go through this.

Even without the polarizer, the problem with TN panels is no matter how you sit, the top of the screen is always darker, and the bottom of the screen is always washed out. Even from a distance, the screen still darkens if you're sitting too low. The white glow on the DS is not a problem from a distance.

so I'm curious...we've go so many varying opinions here it's hard to distill the actual quality of the monitor. My tendency is to give credence to those who do color correction for a living...the last one of those in this thread seemed to really like the monitor. Does this thread confuse anyone else? I currently use a Dell 2001FP for my color correction but I'm interested in the 265W doublesight when it comes out if it's rated highly by those that do color work for a living.

I agree with ToastyX.. I don't get what GeminiCool is talking about considering a 26inch TN panel is large enough to see noticeable shifts in color even when you are looking at it directly since some part of the screen will be viewed at an angle from the normal of the screen due to its large size.

I'm sorry, but I did not snap off any side by side pictures. If you seriously doubt my words, I can post some reciepts just to prove I've owned both.

I don't think anybody's doubting you. Its just that pictures speak louder than words (which makes sense considering what this forum is dedicated to). If what you is true and the 263N without the polarizer is that much worse than a TN, than seeing the comparison could help alot of people in their LCD buying decision.

Hmm...so newegg won't let me RMA this screen without the box. Does anyone want to ship me their box? I'll pay for shipping/time.

If the ds without the polarizer has poor blacks, how much better are the blacks with the atw polazier? If what the other poster says is true, I might just buy a samsung.

Back