DoubleSight DS-263N - 26"

Got my unit in yesterday from Newegg set it up last night. Loaded up ToastyX's profile and everything looks good. No bad pixels and has the polarizer. Excellent deal IMHO. Thanks for all the good info in this thread, it made my choice clear. Very happy with the purchase.
ToastyX's profile?

Good news,

It's about f***ing time.

Will North American distribution actually allow Canadians to purchase this thing too?

Thanks for the notice. What association do you have with Doublesight?

10e

Did he say he actually works with the business? I thought it was just speculation.

On Hold
This item is currently on hold and is not available for sale at this time. Please try again later. Manufacturers's Warranty.

Provantage :mad:

I just read about the new "W" model, and although the poster says that we're the first to know, he's given us zero evidence to believe him!

I just called DoubleSight and asked if there would more stock of the DS-263N or if there would be a new version coming out. He confirmed what techaddict has been saying, the new model will be called DS-265W and the changes will be cosmetic (new stand). He said it will be available in late July and will be priced about the same as the DS-263N.

I would only return it if you need a height adjustable stand, seems like the only thing worth mentioning that they are changing (if you do in fact also get a polarized one).

Finally got around to setting this up today.

OH MAN. Was it worth the $$$ and the time I just said to myself "Let me wait out the 24 inches, there's nothing good at the moment that I like" and I came back in four, five months and found this gem.

0 dead pixels, polarizer is awesome. Now I need to get around to properly calibrating this monitor for correct colors. How do I go upon that? What's the cheapest/decent color calibrater out there? And how do I use this ToastyX's profile (8800GT eVGA)?

I know its an old question, but...

Why does this monitor need a polarizer? To my understanding, it just gives better contrast at higher viewing angles? But I thought all high end monitors do that anyway...?

Anyone have any photos of there DS-263N ? would be nice to see a few posted photo's of it.

Anyone have any photos of there DS-263N ? would be nice to see a few posted photo's of it.

There's a few floating around this thread, closer to the beginning.

When mine gets here tomorrow, and I'm not anxious to hook it up and use it I might take some pictures. :D

My 1st post here...I've lurked these boards for the past three years, but I feel the need to add input now. :D

I was looking for a 24"+ LCD monitor (1080p capable) that had low input lag, good color reproduction, good viewing angles, and could play games well, HD movies and PS3 titles. This monitor fit the bill nicely.

I purchased my monitor from Newegg on 06/20, right before they raised the price by $20, so I was feeling pretty good about it...for all of 4 hours. Techaddict here stated the monitor is getting replaced by the DS-265W...and he is right. :(

I called in to Doublesight and a sales rep confirmed the new model will be released 1st week of July, but probably won't be fully available for 6 weeks or so. The new stand will not be compatible with the current version...still, I was hoping heh. The only difference of the new model will be a fully adjustable stand, change in badging and exterior. The panel will be the same, as mentioned before in the thread.

My monitor is still in transit, I should be getting it 06/25. (From TN to CA) I'm hoping it doesn't have any dead or stuck pixels, but despite the model refresh I will likely keep this one. Otherwise, I may have to wait 3+ months for the newer one. I suppose the Ergotron that Newegg is pushing would work well, but buying it will bring the total cost of this close to a Planar. So I tell myself...the Doublesight is still better because of the low lag ;)

Thanks for the thorough review Toasty. I mentioned this thread specifically to the sales rep and he thought there was a bit of confusion about the polarizer. He insisted all of the monitors had the A-TW polarizer and said you must have had a bad one at first. I thought that didn't mesh with what I read, I mean, more than one had that problem...

This is my birthday present too...only way I could get it past the missus. :cool:

weomro, I emailed the tech support, and they responded claiming that ALL the 263Ns have the polarizer. I'm quite confused about some people who claim that it does not.

It could be that is what they are told to say. Who knows. When several early reviewers state they see the telltale white glow of an unpolarized panel...so the polarizer can be defective without seriously affecting image quality otherwise? What a coincidence! :rolleyes: Still, I find that number of...defective polarizers disturbing, assuming they are correct in their assertion that all DS-263N's have polarizers.

I just called DoubleSight and asked if there would more stock of the DS-263N or if there would be a new version coming out. He confirmed what techaddict has been saying, the new model will be called DS-265W and the changes will be cosmetic (new stand). He said it will be available in late July and will be priced about the same as the DS-263N.

Will the new stand be like the Planar stand? Height adjustable, tilt, swivel, ya know? One thing I hated about it and killed the cost benefit factor for me.

Dunno if I could get over ghosting though. :(

Maybe they're getting confused because all LCDs have polarizers, the A-TW is just an extra one. Since it sounds like the 265W is real, I think I'll hold off on the 263N. I don't want to risk getting some leftover non-polarized version, and a month or two isn't that long to wait. It is odd that there's no mention of the 265W anywhere, though -- you'd think there'd be at least *some* marketing for a product due out in three weeks.

Will the new stand be like the Planar stand? Height adjustable, tilt, swivel, ya know? One thing I hated about it and killed the cost benefit factor for me.

Dunno if I could get over ghosting though. :(

Yes, it is supposed to be.

Silly me, here I was thinking not having the A-TW polarizer was like not having a polarizer at all. I would rather have a red shift over a white glow though. And I can finally get some use out of my 8800GTX - I am using a 19" CRT at the moment, with all the glare I can handle. Ugh.

Why does this monitor need a polarizer? To my understanding, it just gives better contrast at higher viewing angles? But I thought all high end monitors do that anyway...?
:confused:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032286971&postcount=231

Check the off angle viewing. The DS-263N with A-TW polarizer is on the left.

On angle doesn't seem to make a huge difference, but if you are close enough to the screen, the sides will likely brighten. Sitting back shouldn't be a big deal.

Regards,

10e

Anyone know if the newer 263W will be able to rotate? One thing that really bothered me about this monitor is that it couldn't be rotated into portrait mode. Mine comes from newegg in about 2 hours so I guess there's not much I can do about it now though.

I know there has been a lot of stand suggestions in this thread but can anyone suggest one that rotates? Most of the ones I've looked at don't look like they do.

Anyone know if the newer 263W will be able to rotate? One thing that really bothered me about this monitor is that it couldn't be rotated into portrait mode. Mine comes from newegg in about 2 hours so I guess there's not much I can do about it now though.

I know there has been a lot of stand suggestions in this thread but can anyone suggest one that rotates? Most of the ones I've looked at don't look like they do.

Newegg's Ergotron Stand

Ergotron's Product Page

There is also a link on Newegg's DS-263N's sale page under "Essentials" scroll down lower left.

According to a reviewer, it does tilt, rotate, swivels, raises and lowers. However, it'll set you back $165 with 3-day shipping(almost $179 if you live in California, Sales tax.)

I'm still searching for alternatives though. There don't seem to be many of quality, for a monitor this weight/size however.

I just got this monitor shipped from newegg today right before I left for my university research and got a quick look at the condition it was in. For one, it seems like it doesn't have the polarizer. I have a dell 2005fpw rev A03 and I think it has a IPS panel with polarizer because I see the red tint when I look from the sides. This one causes a white tint but I'm not too bothered about it. It has no dead pixels and minimal backlight bleeding. I am pretty happy about the thing.

Does the polarizer do anything besides reduce the white tinting from the sides? If that's all it does, then I am going to keep this one since that doesnt bother me at all.

I am not too sure I have the polarizer on mine that I recieved today. I will do some double checking when it gets dark, I feel that would be the easiest way to tell. If it does not, I'm not so sure I'm gonna return it.

Well, after my trusty Sony fw900 shit the bed last week, i ended up ordering this Doublesight from newegg after all the good feedback from this thread. Mine shipped from TN, and unfortunately I dont think it has the polarizer. Other than that, I'm loving this thing. My only experience with LCD monitors was a 24" Gateway i bought from bestbuy a year or two ago, what a piece of crap! That thing ghosted and motion blurred like crazy. Thankfully this Doublesight is very minimal with the ghosting/motion blurring. Definitely not a big deal. I dont seem to have any dead pixels either, and i havent been able to find any backlight bleeding either. I'll check it out more tonight when i have a chance to play around with it in the dark! So, so far so good. I really doubt i'll go through the pain of rma'ing this thing for one with the polarizer. But we'll see.:

IM not sure if i didnt the right thing or not , but i canceled my order for the DS-263N based
on the facts about a new monitor being released. but the sounds of things provantage wasn't
shipping the Ds-263N for awhile or they havnt been informed of a new model being released.

thefurion said:
I just got this monitor shipped from newegg today right before I left for my university research and got a quick look at the condition it was in. For one, it seems like it doesn't have the polarizer. I have a dell 2005fpw rev A03 and I think it has a IPS panel with polarizer because I see the red tint when I look from the sides. This one causes a white tint but I'm not too bothered about it. It has no dead pixels and minimal backlight bleeding. I am pretty happy about the thing.

Does the polarizer do anything besides reduce the white tinting from the sides? If that's all it does, then I am going to keep this one since that doesnt bother me at all.
The Dell 2005FPW doesn't have the A-TW polarizer. Older IPS panels glow orange at slight angles and purple at extreme angles. Newer IPS panels glow white instead. There's no difference other than the color.

The A-TW polarizer eliminates that glow. To me, that's a big deal. The two things that have always bugged me about IPS panels are the glow and the sparkly coating. The DoubleSight with the A-TW polarizer has neither, and it doesn't lag. That's as close to CRT as you're going to find.

The red and green tint from the A-TW polarizer is very faint in comparison and can only be seen on a mostly black screen.

Oh so it's not supposed to be as noticeable as that purple glow.. I see.. I will look at it again when it is night time...

Cancelled my N version from Provantage.... I'm gonna wait for the W version. Any ETA yet?

Okay, so I got mine Today and I'm having a hard time distinguishing the white glow, and back light bleeding. When I look at it from a 180 degree angle, the colors do wash out, but I'm not seeing a glow. :( I'm coming from a 22" TN Panel, this thing is great compared to that but I'd like to find out if I have the Polarizer or not.

Newegg's Ergotron Stand

Ergotron's Product Page

There is also a link on Newegg's DS-263N's sale page under "Essentials" scroll down lower left.

According to a reviewer, it does tilt, rotate, swivels, raises and lowers. However, it'll set you back $165 with 3-day shipping(almost $179 if you live in California, Sales tax.)

I'm still searching for alternatives though. There don't seem to be many of quality, for a monitor this weight/size however.

Don't bother, I've searched long and hard for a better/cheaper mount. They don't exist under $200. The LX stand is great, but if you're looking for the tilt, I'm afraid it just won't hold up.. It will hold up to about ~10 degrees above horizontal, but it won't hold up any higher than that.. it falls down.

This doesn't bother me, so the stand still does 100% of what I want it to do.

So, I'm very happy with my dispay other than the fact that the text seems kind of blurry. I have clear type on, and I've played with the sharpness but that hasn't helped. :/ Shitty DVI cable? Should, I use the cable that was provided with the monitor?

Also, My monitor isn't displaying 60hz, it's like 59.7hz and I think that's causing an issue for me. Whenever I try to play a game @ 1920x1200 @ 60hz the screen reverts back to 800x600. :(

I ordered one from Newegg on Fri (a little reluctantly based on that return policy) and it shipped Mon from Memphis TN. I'm putting it next to my 2005fpw. It's going to replace the 2408wfp I just bought. Hopefully this one looks good next to the 2005. Both are IPS so I'm hopin. /crosses fingers

I ordered one from Newegg on Fri (a little reluctantly based on that return policy) and it shipped Mon from Memphis TN. I'm putting it next to my 2005fpw. It's going to replace the 2408wfp I just bought. Hopefully this one looks good next to the 2005. Both are IPS so I'm hopin. /crosses fingers

Please post back with how you like it compared to the 2408wfp as I have a 2405fpw and debating on getting a 2408wfp or the new DS-265w to sit beside it.

Back