DoubleSight DS-263N - 26"

My monitor came with a cable that has DVI on one end and something I don't recognize on the other, a little thinner than USB. What is this cable for? Also, the monitor has outputs for DVI/d and DVI/i What is the difference? You would think the manual would explain this but it doesn't.

It's a DVI-HDMI cable.

The only difference between DVI-D and DVI-I is the DVI-I port can be used as a VGA port with a DVI-VGA adapter or cable. You can use either one for DVI.

Newegg's Ergotron Stand

Ergotron's Product Page

There is also a link on Newegg's DS-263N's sale page under "Essentials" scroll down lower left.

According to a reviewer, it does tilt, rotate, swivels, raises and lowers. However, it'll set you back $165 with 3-day shipping(almost $179 if you live in California, Sales tax.)

I'm still searching for alternatives though. There don't seem to be many of quality, for a monitor this weight/size however.

This is the one I use:

Ergotron Neo-Flex at Office Depot it only costs $43 US and works fine for just about everything I've thrown at it.... :D

Just got my DS 263N installed and running.

I returned a Samsung 26" 2693HM to Best Buy. It had one dead pixel and was a "bad" TN panel.

So the "bad" TN panel had bad color when viewed from below. The color was great head on. The color would shift slightly as you moved left to right.

The new DS well great head on, great viewed from below. Move side to side... white bloom! This is very evident on black. I have not test much with movie's.

I ordered the DS when Newegg got the last batch. I called DS and they told me they do not ship with polarizers. I told the rep that I read several did have polarizers, he informed me the offical line is no polarizer, not no A-TW, none at all. Humm... Newegg discription seems misleading?

Anyway, I'm pretty bummed. The TN panel looked great even if the color was slightly off when your sitting and viewing movies from an angle. Black was great, HDMI, audio thru... Now I spend an extra $200 and get a "better" IPS that glows. No thru Audio. It does have two DVI inputs which helps the latter.

So, if the IPS has no polarizer, it would seem a good TN panel is really... well... just as good, especially considering the $200 bucks you save.

Planar... well that has only one DVI and costs even more than the DS. How do you hook up your PC & BluRay or Xbox?

I guess the "perfect" monitor is once again just a dream....

Peter.

Based on many of the recent posts, it would appear that polarizer lottery is very much alive and well, notwithstanding Newegg's stated product description. They are going to have an RMA nightmare on their hands because their shitty return policy for large monitors is about to run head-on into "you didn't send me the product as described."

I guess the "perfect" monitor is once again just a dream....

I think that's true as well. That said, UPS took their time getting this thing to me and finally got here about 90 minutes ago. I've got 2408WFP boxed up and ready to send back to Dell. This monitor, although still not quite as good as my 2005FPW is damn close. I was able to get it looking good in about 15 min of messing with the settings. It took me 5 days of messing with the 2408 and I was never really happy with it.

Based on many of the recent posts, it would appear that polarizer lottery is very much alive and well

I don't think my 263N has the polarizer though. If I view it from the side it has that white glow that everyone speaks of. So I'd agree with verylostindeed. It doesn't take anything away from the monitor for me though because I sit in front of it when I use it. It's used for gaming (LOTRO, WoW, TF2) so I won't be viewing it from weird angles.

I'm very happy with it at this point. Pretty sure I'm not gonna find anything better at this price in the PVA/TN market.

Well this DS is going back.

I just hooked up the DS to a BluRay player. The stupid source is hit miss and very frustrating.

So once playing the picture looks very bad compaired to the TN based Samsung. Honestly, even HEAD ON it looks washed out!

If keep the DS saying "I only use the thing head on", that may be foolish. If you "only use a TN panel head on" you don't get the color shift AND you save $200.

Unless Newegg can assure me of the polarizer this thing is going back...
... I can't even believe how bad the movie looked... The white bloom is very bad... and yeah I did calibrate the monitor... even played with the settings in an attempt to like it for movie mode. The bright durring movies is much worse than the color shift.

I'm sitting here messing with mine a bit more. I fired up a DVD in the PC (I don't have any HD players or discs to test with) and it looks ok until I get almost to the 170 degree range. Maybe my lack of HD and the horrendous image I had with the 2408 is making me a lenient on this thing but I'm not really interested in shipping it back at the moment since there's no guarantee on the polarizer. (Plus I'll probably be stuck with shipping on both the Dell and the DS if I was to send it back.)

I've only had mine a couple hours though ... gimme some time, I was happy with the 2408 for a few minutes too. :p

Here's some pics of mine in the dark:

Didn't quite have an all black background ... from the side
IMG_3050.jpg

not quite all black background from the front
IMG_3051.jpg

return of the not quite all black background from the front
IMG_3052.jpg

blue marble from the side (sorry I must have moved while i took this one but you get the idea):
IMG_3053.jpg

blue marble from the front
IMG_3054.jpg

that's what you might get from NewEgg in Memphis.

Ah, that's basically how mine looks. The bad news is that I threw away the monitor box, so I don't think I can return the screen now for a replacement.

...or can I?

I sent a follow-up email to the tech support guy at Doublesight with links to b1k3r4ck's pictures. I am hopeful that I can get a less official answer and possibly a way to RMA this screen without the original box. :|

While I'm not entirely unhappy with mine, post how that turns out. If it's possible to get one with a polarizer I'd ship mine back for one if it wasn't going to be much of a hassle.

I haven't heard back from the technician yet. I expect he'll get back to me on this this evening or tomorrow. If all else fails, I will just call them up.

Newegg sent me one without the damn polarizer. I contacted them and got this reply-

"Thank you for writing back to us.

We humbly apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If the package of this item has not been tampered with and is in good condition, you may contact the manufacturer at 1-888-897-8869 to get this accessory, since we are strictly a reseller, we do not carry the backup for any accessories. All products that we sell are shipped to our customers exactly as we receive it from the manufacturer. Due to the inconvenience, we would like to offer a credit in the amount of $25.00 if you keep this item as is. Please let us know your option. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please visit our FAQs page. If you still need assistance, please feel free to email me directly and I will be happy to assist you."

My advice is buy it elsewhere.

Wow, that really sucks. :| I'm still very happy with the screen, but I am disappointed that it doesn't have the polarizer.

Im glad my order didnt get filled via provantage !! just have to wait longer for the new monitor thats all.

Yeah it does and I used ToastyX's profile.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032187513&postcount=36

I got tired of dinking with the controls as I am use to being able to set my old monitor with a remote, so I did further fine tuning through my graphics card CP.

It looks fine as long as you are square with it. If you are too off angle, without the polarizer it suffers.

I didn't get any dead or stuck pixels. Mine is uniform with small bit of faint black light bleeding, about at inch, at the top center and it's barely noticeable.

I'm going to keep it anyway because if I want the same panel from NEC I'd need to fork out 1.2k. I'd like the polarizer and if DS give me drama I am just going to forget it.

As I posted earlier I think mine has the polarizer, because I couldn't note any white bloom, but I'm still uncertain.

Viewing in a dark room with the brightness at either 0 or 100, when I put up the blue marble full screen and slowly move my position I see the starfield get slightly brighter when I'm about 30 degrees off of head on, compared to what it looks like head on. It stays at that level to about 45 degrees, then it begins to get slightly darker as I go on around to 90 degree position, where it's slightly darker than the head on brightness. I can't see any red or green from 89 degrees. This is with the out-of-box color settings (contrast at 50). I didn't do the profile thing yet.

From my point of view this is fabulous.

I had a long chat with the Live customer representative today in regards to the Polarizer. I feel that if enough of us who purchased the monitor from newegg bring up the Polarizer they will do something about.

I basically got nowhere for 45 minutes today, and than towards they end the rep told me to hang on, and when he came back he said another service rep had just received a message about this monitor and the polarizer and that they'd look into further and get back to as soon as they figure something out.

I think they believed that the polarizer was an additional accessory that came with the monitor, and not a part of the actual unit itself. So I'd say for the sake of us all, if you did receive one from newegg and it did not have the polarizer, I'd suggest contacting a rep and making them aware of this issue.

I feel that if the polarizer was advertised, they should guarantee you a polarizer with your monitor.

Amazon just e-mailed saying mine will ship around July 1, so maybe resellers are still getting them.

If the specs of the DS-265W are only cosmetic, there's no need for me to return it since I already have an ergotron stand.

I had a unit with no polarization filter and it was just too damn bright! so I called to get a replacement unit. It looks like the 263N is out of stock and deactivated in newegg. I called them up this morning and they quickly offered me a refund for no restocking fee and with a shipping label to ship to them.

(MNTR DBSIGHT|LCD 26" 5MS DS-263N R) (Quantity: 1 )
RMAReason: Not match what we show

Type of RMA: RMA Refund
Restocking Fee: No

The conversation was about 5 minutes long. Pretty happy about their service as always :)..I guess I will be waiting for the 263W and getting that as later batches of the LG panels are said to have the polarizing filter. By then, hopefully doublesight can figure out what's going on with the filter.

Here's the email I got:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Newegg.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. All the products we sell are in the original conditions sent by the manufacturers. In this case, we recommend you contact DoubleSight at 1-888-897-8869 or visit the website at http://www.doublesight.com/ for the troubleshooting. If they fail to assist you, please reply to this email back within 30 days from the invoice date and we will be able to further assist you.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know.

Sincerely,

Ruby Luo

I also haven't heard from Doublesight yet on my latest email. :|

I also haven't heard from Doublesight yet on my latest email. :|

I called their tech support (888.897.8869) and was pretty happy that you don't have to go through a menu system and a rep picks right up. Might be quicker to dial them up.

I was feeling out the waters on what the 265W was gonna ship with (polarizer or not) and when. Still not sure if I want to ship mine back but it's nice to consider your options ;)

My monitor arrived two days ago, still sealed in the box...I haven't scratched my panel lottery ticket yet. I hope my ticket doesn't scratch like this - (A-TW) (A-TW) (SUCKER) :mad:

Before I initiate a return request I have to open the box and check if it does have the polarizer, I'm guessing. :(

Another thing I am thinking of. The DS-263N has been proven to have low input lag. Presumably the new DS-265W will also have low input lag but there is no way of knowing for sure...given that is the other reason I got this monitor, I may have to guess, I would hate to return this monitor because of the polarizer and find out the replacement is laggier. This realization doesn't help. :(

Got my replacement from DoubleSight. It looked like a brand new unit, probably the same batch that went to NewEgg lately... NO polarizer. Very noticeable coming from the NEC and the previous DS that had it. In my opinion the polarizer gives a bit better black level even straight on. It didn't feel as much like an IPS without it.

Also, this particular unit exhibited pretty good flickering on lagom's 4a and 4b tests, whereas the previous unit was rock solid with no flickering on any.

Didn't even bother calling DS. Returned it to Amazon and am keenly awaiting the 265W. It's just incredible what a crapshoot LCD tech is.

Okay, I just got off the phone with tech support. They stated that every 263N comes with the standard polarizer and not the A-TW polarizer. I asked if any had in the past, and they said no.

I asked if the 265-W will come with the A-TW polarizer. It will not. :[

I also asked to have this in writing so that I could email newegg with the info. I should be getting an email any second now.

Edit:

Here's the email:

Hello Bryan,

As discussed, the DoubleSight DS-263N does not have an additional polarizer. The LG Panel (LM260WU1) comes with a standard panel but we have added nothing in addition.

Best regards,

Ronay McClay

I'm starting to think that DoubleSight tech support doesn't know what it's talking about.

Are there any other monitors that use this panel with the polarizer aside from the NEC? I know there's a Planar, but does it have the polarizer?

If it weren't for Toasty's experience, I would have said that many people who think that they have a model with the A-TW polarizer have fallen victim to the power of suggestion and/or do not really knowing what they're talking about. It is plainly evident, however, that Toasty is most certainly in-the-know.

My guess, then, is that this whole lottery business was just a manufacturing fluke; somehow DS was sent some panels with the added polarizer without ever being aware of it.

What bothers me is the fact that newegg advertised it openly. Where did they get this information?

Okay, last post for a while. I've done all I can about this fiasco. We'll see what newegg says. :p

Can anyone explain how to actually use Toasty's profile? I downloaded the icc file, but what do I do with it? I googled the heck out of it and still can't figure it out.

Right click on desktop -> properties -> settings -> advanced -> color management -> Add... -> select file -> Set As default.

(this was in Windows XP)

You may have to reboot your system afterwards for the profile to take effect.

Back