Double Impact Block

R1ckCa1n

Supreme [H]ardness
I decided to stop by Sharka on the way home from work on Friday and was glad to see the order from Aqua Computer had arrived; only four months late....

Anyways the block looks very interesting (and sexy like all AC products). Without further adu, here is the Double Impact block!!!!

100_1303.jpg

Yeah, 90's = bad but it is going in a SSF and there is not enough clearance for a straight connector on the block.

100_1304.jpg

100_1306.jpg

100_1307.jpg

100_1308.jpg

I will spend this weekend swapping out a bad hard drive and reloading my OS so the block will be installed then. Sharka has a SHIT load of stuff from Aqua Computer right now so get it while its still in stock.

Very unusual design. The increasing size of the nozzles toward the center of the mid plate is something I haven't seen before. Frankly though, I'm actually rather confused as to what they're trying to do here...would you mind snapping a shot of the underside of the top plate (the blue acrylic plate)?

It seems to be targetted at the dual chip dual core / quad core processors. How well it actually works is another story.

Very unusual design. The increasing size of the nozzles toward the center of the mid plate is something I haven't seen before. Frankly though, I'm actually rather confused as to what they're trying to do here...would you mind snapping a shot of the underside of the top plate (the blue acrylic plate)?

They are doing the "Shower Efect". This way the water is spreaded equaly amoung all fins on the block. It's great for low flow systems.

I actually bought one myself and picked it up on Thursday. I've yet to install it onto any system yet but I'll let you guys know how it goes. From just preliminary inspection, I can say the craftsmanship is good. However, I don't see what's so special about it to make it cost me 140$ total after barbs/taxes. This thing better perform as well as my Fuzion/GTX for this sort of outrageous price. One thing that has me a bit pissed is that it seems AC hasn't made a copper top replacement for this yet. I'm not a fan of acrylic blocks at all and hope they'll make a copper replacement top like how they did for their G1/8 model.

is that alu and copper or stainless??? i fear useing alu in my system after my gpu top failed, it is a very interesting desgine, keep us updated with temps, im not one for lowflow systems, but that is one very nice looking top, if they ever release it in an all copper ver i might just snag one and mod it to work with my high flow system

Sorry but I've got to take that with a grain of salt. It shows the TDX pulling second to only the Double Impact? If that was the case nothing that's been accomplished thus far in WC has amounted to a hill of beans. I mean considering that a four year old block is killing the new big boys. That's just either the most depressing thing I've ever read or it's wrong. I vote wrong since there's plenty of scientific testing to show that the Storm beats it. I wish I could read German so I could look at their methodology.

In my Silverstone SSF case, I was running 43c idle with both the Fuzion and Cuplex XT (DDC, thermochill 120.2, EK 8800GTS Block, 8mm tubing). Load was 56c with TAT.

Now with the Double Impact I am running 39c idel, 51c load. I can't wait to get a quad core. I will tell you that the water isn't rushing into my res like it was before so flow was hurt a bit.

I actually bought one myself and picked it up on Thursday. I've yet to install it onto any system yet but I'll let you guys know how it goes. From just preliminary inspection, I can say the craftsmanship is good. However, I don't see what's so special about it to make it cost me 140$ total after barbs/taxes. This thing better perform as well as my Fuzion/GTX for this sort of outrageous price. One thing that has me a bit pissed is that it seems AC hasn't made a copper top replacement for this yet. I'm not a fan of acrylic blocks at all and hope they'll make a copper replacement top like how they did for their G1/8 model.

Give it time and you will see a copper top. Since there is zero pressure put on the top because of the mounting adaptors, leaks should not be a concern. One thing I can say is I have never had a problem with AC's tops. Also remember it is about looks too with this product.

Why didn't you take home a AquaDuctXT? :) Lord knows Sharka has enough of them right now.

In my Silverstone SSF case, I was running 43c idle with both the Fuzion and Cuplex XT (DDC, thermochill 120.2, EK 8800GTS Block, 8mm tubing). Load was 56c with TAT.

Now with the Double Impact I am running 39c idel, 51c load. I can't wait to get a quad core. I will tell you that the water isn't rushing into my res like it was before so flow was hurt a bit.

Oh, I don't doubt the block's effective, I just don't think the rest of their numbers are quite correct. You and I both know that the Storm out performs the TDX.

Yeah, I judge blocks by how it performs in my computer. How often do we see posts of people complaining of high temps even with the "so called" best blocks? Alot.....

This block appears to be very good based on my initial results. I would like to give this a run with 3/8" tubing and just the CPU block.

Sorry but I've got to take that with a grain of salt. It shows the TDX pulling second to only the Double Impact? If that was the case nothing that's been accomplished thus far in WC has amounted to a hill of beans. I mean considering that a four year old block is killing the new big boys. That's just either the most depressing thing I've ever read or it's wrong. I vote wrong since there's plenty of scientific testing to show that the Storm beats it. I wish I could read German so I could look at their methodology.

I find these results comical as well as they're totally out of wack with all the extensive testing done around the various community. TDX as the 2nd best performer? Storm's small cooling patch beating the Fuzion and GTX on IHS CPU's? EK wave beating out all of Swiftech's blocks? I mean, I love EK blocks and all, but even I know the EK wave is one of the shittiest CPU blocks out there. If the results for all these other blocks are so out of sync with reality, how does this prove that the XT DI is good performer?

Shoggy, don't taint your company with bullshit like this. This stinks of Koolance style of "testing" (also known as false advertising and falsified testing). Guess the Germans will go to any lengths to make sure their home country's product looks good right? I'm sure the methodology must be "interesting" to garner this type of result.

I find these results comical as well as they're totally out of wack with all the extensive testing done around the various community. TDX as the 2nd best performer? Storm's small cooling patch beating the Fuzion and GTX on IHS CPU's? EK wave beating out all of Swiftech's blocks? I mean, I love EK blocks and all, but even I know the EK wave is one of the shittiest CPU blocks out there. If the results for all these other blocks are so out of sync with reality, how does this prove that the XT DI is good performer?

Shoggy, don't taint your company with bullshit like this. This stinks of Koolance style of "testing" (also known as false advertising and falsified testing). Guess the Germans will go to any lengths to make sure their home country's product looks good right? I'm sure the methodology must be "interesting" to garner this type of result.

Yeah... My storm block has always outperformed my TDX on my E6300... And it was beaten again (by around 4c) by a Fuzion...

I'd be more than happy to test the DI if I'm sent one.

And... Uhhhh... Shouldn't the title of the graph read "CPU Waserkuhler Testergebniss (Grad Celsius)" Rather than Kelvin?

I want a CPU block that gets my temps down to around 30K.

Yeah... My storm block has always outperformed my TDX on my E6300... And it was beaten again (by around 4c) by a Fuzion...

I'd be more than happy to test the DI if I'm sent one.

And... Uhhhh... Shouldn't the title of the graph read "CPU Waserkuhler Testergebniss (Grad Celsius)" Rather than Kelvin?

I want a CPU block that gets my temps down to around 30K.

Maybe 30k over ambient :confused:

That is the beauty of each test bed; we will see different results....... Proof is how well it performs for the user.

I guess you have not been around long enough to know Shoggy is not an employee of Aqua Computers nor does he own it. He happens to be someone lucky enough to get their products early and shares his findings with us. Given AC did not do the tests, why slam him?

The product is at least interesting enough for you to drive to Sharka to get one!!!!!

That is the beauty of each test bed; we will see different results....... Proof is how well it performs for the user.

Ummm....NO!

A bad test is a bad test. It is nothing but ugly, no beauty to it at all. I haven't looked at the results and I can't read German anyways, but from what I have read about it in this thread something is seriously wrong. There is plenty of data to know when something is producing outlier after outlier. That is when you know that you f*ed something up in your testing.

Ummm....NO!

A bad test is a bad test. It is nothing but ugly, no beauty to it at all. I haven't looked at the results and I can't read German anyways, but from what I have read about it in this thread something is seriously wrong. There is plenty of data to know when something is producing outlier after outlier. That is when you know that you f*ed something up in your testing.

LOL... since nobody will ever agree on what the "right" test bed is, why complain? This just goes to show why I like the good old fashion method; slap it on my CPU and see how it performs.

How often do we see posts of people complaining of high temps even with the "so called" best blocks? Alot.....
Suffice it to say, most people don't really know what they're doing. Blocks like the Storm and the Fuzion are great blocks, but they aren't going to be killer when people make mistakes and poor decisions with the rest of the components (half the time, it's just a matter of using way too much thermal paste, or some other seemingly insignificant thing). People complaining about high temperatures does not mar the actual capabilities of these blocks.

If only Lee were still evaluating this stuff, we'd know exactly where the new block stands with respect to other blocks on the market. It's kind of a shame, really, that nobody out there is giving products like this the scrutiny they deserve.

And let's keep in mind (keeping an open mind) that the thermal diode reporting a lower temperature does not mean that the block is cooling the die more effectively, though in this case it seems fairly obvious the AC's doing a better job than the Fuzion. I think the Fuzion would benefit immensely from some sort of restrictor/nozzle plate.

LOL... since nobody will ever agree on what the "right" test bed is, why complain? This just goes to show why I like the good old fashion method; slap it on my CPU and see how it performs.

This grossly against any sort of scientific principle with regards to testing. Results are supposed to be reproducible again and again and not meant to satisfy just one particular instance. If one believes in such a thing, you'll just propagate the same type of Koolance BS.

I bought the block, but then again I buy most blocks just due to curiosity and my OCD of collecting CPU water blocks. I'm just hoping it performs almost on par as the Fuzion/GTX for the price I'm paying. If it kicks their ass, I'll even use it in my main rig.

But when I look at tests like these, it really just disgusts me.

Others have already summed up how trust worthy these test results are.

I'll wait to see what Ranker gets. The block looks cool though, but there needs to be some real information on it before it can justify being worth a penny, let alone the asking price.

I don't mind the acrylic though.

If only Lee were still evaluating this stuff, we'd know exactly where the new block stands with respect to other blocks on the market. It's kind of a shame, really, that nobody out there is giving products like this the scrutiny they deserve.

EXACTLY! Since nobody has the passion to test all of the blocks out there right now, we must rely on actual user findings........

Let's see what Ranker comes up with in his testing as my initial results are good ;)

EXACTLY! Since nobody has the passion to test all of the blocks out there right now, we must rely on actual user findings........

Let's see what Ranker comes up with in his testing as my initial results are good ;)

I should have applied for the [H] Cooling Editor position... With some funding I'd love to do it.

You might as well apply for it anyway. Justin's only done two evaluations this year, and they're just 'okay' -- nothing every other reviewer on that planet hasn't really done before (though the Freezone review was quite in-depth). The trick would be convincing Kyle to drop two to three thousand on test equipment. Probably no easy task :)

User testing for the most part is grossly uninformative and usually biased unless they've already established a precedent as a neutral tester. I'm sorry, but you saying it's good is like a Coke rep telling me Coke tastes better than Pepsi. You've demonstrated no objectivity as being an AC fan-boy at all times.

I wouldn't trust my own findings either if I were somebody else since I've been caught up in instilling common sense in this forum where AC fanaticism has run rampant. I'd most likely be labeled an "AC hater" regardless of what my results show. Just because user findings are the only thing available doesn't make the data reliable what so ever. The watercooling community deserves much better than a few cheerleaders promoting their pet company.

In any event, in the WC scene, there's only a handful of currently active people I'd trust to run tests, such as Cathar, Nikhsub1, Phillyboy, BillA, etc. Most other wannabe's don't have the same stringent testing procedures. The person who ran these ridiculously flawed tests falls into the "grossly incompetent" category as his results are totally out of sync with everything the watercooling community has postulated and proved.

I wouldn't trust my own findings either if I were somebody else since I've been caught up in instilling common sense in this forum where AC fanaticism has run rampant. I'd most likely be labeled an "AC hater" regardless of what my results show. Just because user findings are the only thing available doesn't make the data reliable what so ever. The watercooling community deserves much better than a few cheerleaders promoting their pet company.

Yeah, there would be a chance of you altering the results to favor your hate for anything not Swiftech, Dtek or Thermochill but lets see what you come up with!

In any event, in the WC scene, there's only a handful of currently active people I'd trust to run tests, such as Cathar, Nikhsub1, Phillyboy, BillA, etc.

Since there is a better chance of Top Nurse getting re-enstated on this forum you can throw that away the thought of one of them testing this block. Again, the only data that will be given on any new product, other than the manufactures bias results, will be from users like us.

Since there is a better chance of Top Nurse getting re-enstated on this forum you can throw that away the thought of one of them testing this block.
I'll freely admit I'd be interested in this block had they not used an aluminum midplate. The acrylic top plate doesn't bother me that much (though acetal would be preferable), but there's no single chance it'd go in my loop with that aluminum midplate. I'm evaluating various options for cooling my quad (as the G5 I have currently is not sufficient for Intel's quads), and I'd like to put this one on my list, but not as it stands.

I'd guess the reason why some of the folks you mentioned wouldn't test it might be for the same reason.

I have no real gripes with AC gear except for the fact that they continually sacrifice usability and reliability by using inferior materials for aesthetic purposes. That's just not a trade-off many are willing to make.

I'll freely admit I'd be interested in this block had they not used an aluminum midplate. The acrylic top plate doesn't bother me that much (though acetal would be preferable), but there's no single chance it'd go in my loop with that aluminum midplate. I'm evaluating various options for cooling my quad (as the G5 I have currently is not sufficient for Intel's quads), and I'd like to put this one on my list, but not as it stands.

I'd guess the reason why some of the folks you mentioned wouldn't test it might be for the same reason.

I have no real gripes with AC gear except for the fact that they continually sacrifice usability and reliability by using inferior materials for aesthetic purposes. That's just not a trade-off many are willing to make.

Well good news, the middle plate is nickle plated brass like the Cuplex XT. What else can you find wrong with the block?

. The bottom is made out of highly pure copper and has an optimized pin structure for a better heat transfer which is significantly wider spread than before. Accelerated via the first sets of nozzles integrated into the ]middle section made of matt chromed brass[, the water is led onto the first area of pins of the copper bottom. The water then is redirected to the second set of nozzles and again accelerated towards the second area of pins of the copper bottom before being led to the outlet of the cooler. The connection threads in the bluish colored plexiglass are manufactured in G 1/4"

Though it's already been stated it's not alu it's true enough AC falls into the category of companies that keep repeating this mistake.

Really though that's not my entire issue with them and other companies that follow the same flawed logic.

It's one thing to make a product out of inferior materials and then price gouge counting on asthetics to drive sales. It's another to have plants on forums that disagree with physics and reality and then use flawed testing methodology to fabricate results in your favor, and then blindly push the product of one manufacture despite the blatant flaws in their products to people asking for honest advice.

Yeah, there would be a chance of you altering the results to favor your hate for anything not Swiftech, Dtek or Thermochill but lets see what you come up with!

I thought he also used EK and DD products?

Say what you want but Ranker has been way more objective then the usual people he argued with and advocated products from a broad range of companies based off quality and performance. Rather then blinding pushing one brand and distorting the truth.

It's one thing to make a product out of inferior materials and then price gouge counting on asthetics to drive sales. It's another to have plants on forums that disagree with physics and reality and then use flawed testing methodology to fabricate results in your favor, and then blindly push the product of one manufacture despite the blatant flaws in their products to people asking for honest advice.

Say what you want but Ranker has been way more objective then the usual people he argued with and advocated products from a broad range of companies based off quality and performance. Rather then blinding pushing one brand and distorting the truth.

Very well stated. +1

Though it's already been stated it's not alu it's true enough AC falls into the category of companies that keep repeating this mistake.

Really though that's not my entire issue with them and other companies that follow the same flawed logic.

I thought he also used EK and DD products?

Give me a freaking break; ranker only agrees with ranker. Have you ever seen ranker change his mind about ANYTHING? He thinks what he thinks, and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. Now how is that different from a German WC site coming up with a German block champion?

And to all the kissups who support this stupid bickering: stop it. You are ruining our forum.

It's crap like this that causes the mods to go crazy and delete all sorts of useful stuff because they're simply sick of a few people starting fights wherever they go. TN is gone. That's fine. Ranker said that she was the problem. But nothing has changed, eh?

If something is wrong with the tests, please tell us exactly what it is. Anything else is just your opinion. "a TDX shouldn't outperform a storm/fuzion/whatever". Oh, really? At ANY flowrate? With ANY size heat source? Do you know what the test was based on? No. You're just flabbing your lips. Grow up and find a real hero, guys.

I don't recall mentioning Cathar or bringing him into the topic, or do I really care.. But there are many tests that prove the TDX is not going to out perform an apogee GT/GTX/Fuzion.

That doesn't mean you can't specifically create testing conditions that will show it beating them.

But as soon as you start creating conditions to get the results you want there is no point in the results.

Give me a freaking break; ranker only agrees with ranker.

Dunno about that. The majority of people interested in performance on most sites do agree with him.

Have you ever seen ranker change his mind about ANYTHING?

Actually yes I have.

But nothing has changed, eh?

To be fair you're the one flaming.

To be fair you're the one flaming.

touché

I get so frustrated; I just want to talk about WC'ing, not all this other stuff.

I agree that you can 'create conditions' that will prove anything, but when you put it like that it sounds like you know something about HardwareLuxx's motives that the rest of us don't. But I don't think any of us knows very much about them at all. If anyone does, speak up!

My point wasn't that they are/aren't reputable, it's just that everyone is talking like this block beats that block no matter what, and IMHO it's not that simple. If it was, I don't think there would be so many blocks out there (watch out though, don't put words in my mouth. I do believe that Koolance's stuff is generally crappy).

Headala : There are a number of tests done on sites such as procooling.com and systemcooling.com that show the TDX being outperformed by blocks such as the Storm at the full gamut of water speeds. Also changing the wattage on some of these tests made no difference. Taking the sum total of these tests and other tests it is a reasonable assumption that the TDX should not outperform everysingle one of those blocks. This alone should be more than enough to call into question the validity of the testing done.

Well good news, the middle plate is nickle plated brass like the Cuplex XT.
Very good news, actually. There's obviously more things I need to learn about the block before I take any dives, but it's certainly shaping up. I think the biggest issue would be finding fittings that I'd be comfortable using with my 1/2" loop (and would actually work).

Give me a freaking break; ranker only agrees with ranker. Have you ever seen ranker change his mind about ANYTHING? He thinks what he thinks, and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. Now how is that different from a German WC site coming up with a German block champion?

And to all the kissups who support this stupid bickering: stop it. You are ruining our forum.

I've changed my mind often and support NO company blindly. Go check on XS where I was one of the few leading the anal reaming of Gabe on a variety of topics that irked me about Swiftech. Who do you think made him release the new copper top for the GTX? I was probably the most vocal person about it. I'll call it as a I see it. No one gets my money blindly. They need to earn it before I'll recommend it to my fellow enthusiasts. Being a fanatic and falling in love with one company is just a big disservice to the entire scene.

If you check my sig and machine worklog, you'll see that I use a variety of companies and have had used a variety of companies in the past, even the ones I don't hold in high regard at the moment. It must also be shocking that I actually own AC products including the XT DI.

Ruining "your" forum how? Because instead of following the heed of a few fanatics who worship a specific one or two companies? Or because I choose to help those with my past experiences as well as referring them to posts/forums/threads where their questions can be answered?

It's crap like this that causes the mods to go crazy and delete all sorts of useful stuff because they're simply sick of a few people starting fights wherever they go. TN is gone. That's fine. Ranker said that she was the problem. But nothing has changed, eh?

Where's the bickering? This post is the closest thing to an e-argument since TN left. Everything's changed. People are now more prone toward having healthy discussions without her AC fanaticism nor flame baiting. Please link all flame fests that have happened with me in it since she's left please. Oh wait, there are none. Guess it must be in your head.

If something is wrong with the tests, please tell us exactly what it is. Anything else is just your opinion. "a TDX shouldn't outperform a storm/fuzion/whatever". Oh, really? At ANY flowrate? With ANY size heat source? Do you know what the test was based on? No. You're just flabbing your Cathar-sucking lips. Grow up and find a real hero, guys.

You're clearly arguing the wrong point. To say a block outperforms another block at a specific heat value is irrelevant. One should only be considering the delta's at load. There's really only one right way to test a block. To do otherwise is just stacking the test to suit a particular need. Remember the Koolance debacle with jet engine level CFM and boiling water temps? I mean, it must be horrible for us to hold Cathar's objective testing techniques in high regard right?

touché

I get so frustrated; I just want to talk about WC'ing, not all this other stuff.

I agree that you can 'create conditions' that will prove anything, but when you put it like that it sounds like you know something about HardwareLuxx's motives that the rest of us don't. But I don't think any of us knows very much about them at all. If anyone does, speak up!

My point wasn't that they are/aren't reputable, it's just that everyone is talking like this block beats that block no matter what, and IMHO it's not that simple. If it was, I don't think there would be so many blocks out there (watch out though, don't put words in my mouth. I do believe that Koolance's stuff is generally crappy).

To put forth faulty data is irresponsible and that is what HardwareLuxx has done. Their testing results are so out of wack that normal test beds and procedures would not show results similar to these. If their data was not falsified, then their testing procedure must be flawed if not tainted like Koolance's. What's ironic is that AC shouldn't even worry about their results anyway. Their past history has already revealed that they're most interested in putting out aesthetically pleasing products rather than products that perform well. In such a case, a falsified test only shoots them in the foot by questioning their integrity. AC and their supporters should just keep quiet about the performance and let their reputation for good looks carry the product.

Headala : There are a number of tests done on sites such as procooling.com and systemcooling.com that show the TDX being outperformed by blocks such as the Storm at the full gamut of water speeds. Also changing the wattage on some of these tests made no difference. Taking the sum total of these tests and other tests it is a reasonable assumption that the TDX should not outperform everysingle one of those blocks. This alone should be more than enough to call into question the validity of the testing done.

Exactly.

Okay, I can agree with that.

Where's the bickering? This post is the closest thing to an e-argument since TN left. Everything's changed. People are now more prone toward having healthy discussions without her AC fanaticism nor flame baiting. Please link all flame fests that have happened with me in it since she's left please. Oh wait, there are none. Guess it must be in your head.

Hmmm....

Lets see from just this thread.

Shoggy, don't taint your company with bullshit like this

This stinks of Koolance style of "testing" (also known as false advertising and falsified testing).

Guess the Germans will go to any lengths to make sure their home country's product looks good right?

You've demonstrated no objectivity as being an AC fan-boy at all times.

That is just a start from this thread alone........

You did buy the block to test, right? My suggestion is you put the block in your loop or stop flapping your mouth.

Very good news, actually. There's obviously more things I need to learn about the block before I take any dives, but it's certainly shaping up. I think the biggest issue would be finding fittings that I'd be comfortable using with my 1/2" loop (and would actually work).

More good news, the block accepts G1/4 fittings which is standard for 3/8" & 1/2" barbs.

Hmmm....

Lets see from just this thread.

That is just a start from this thread alone........

You did buy the block to test, right? My suggestion is you put the block in your loop or stop flapping your mouth.

I guess you can't read what I said above huh? Like I said, besides this post, this forum has been flame free. Find another thread other than this since TN's left. Oh wait, there are none! Times have been good.

I'll stop posting when people stop posting BS test results and people stop defending it. The block will enter my testbed when I have the time and desire to break it down and mount another block.

Back