Dota 2 Official Thread

Which hero is the most self-defeating and masochistic?

Like Treant starving for mana because his abilities cost a lot and when he's out, what is the player really going to do. Plus Jakiro is just laughing at him and has good STR, or Undying is laughing with 27+2 INT(though Treant was probably from All Random or something.

Which hero is the most self-defeating and masochistic?

Like Treant starving for mana because his abilities cost a lot and when he's out, what is the player really going to do. Plus Jakiro is just laughing at him and has good STR, or Undying is laughing with 27+2 INT(though Treant was probably from All Random or something.

treant is awful... his ult no longer does dmg. he needs a revamp

treant is awful... his ult no longer does dmg. he needs a revamp

Not just awful, its HORRIBLE....

Tree was one of my favorite hero when they change the eye to a fake tree...
Then to a bird nest.... LOVE THAT....

Somehow they changed it to this stupid life leeching crap and now they even took out his damage on ult. This hero is practically pointless now...

Not just awful, its HORRIBLE....

Tree was one of my favorite hero when they change the eye to a fake tree...
Then to a bird nest.... LOVE THAT....

Somehow they changed it to this stupid life leeching crap and now they even took out his damage on ult. This hero is practically pointless now...

he has crazy strength at level one though. sometimes its fun to play him with a radiance and mask of madness.

Eyes, while a great skill, was horribly imbalanced. Free, and infinite, observer wards is just over powered. Don't get me wrong, I really miss that. Honestly, if he was reworked, he'd be totally more useful:
Skill 1: Living Armor
Skill 2: Natures Guise
Skill 3: Entangle (stuns/damages a single target)
Skill 4 (Ult): Eyes of the Forest

There are lots of ways to rework him to make him a viable pick, but I'll admit, even with the new Treat, I enjoy playing him. I've actually gotten some kills with his nuke.

They could buff Treant's ulti without damage. Lower mana cost and cooldown. Throw in dmg, IMO, but not crucial.

Compare it to Shadow Demon's 50-sec ulti with damage.

Shadow Demo 's ult needs time to hit, and doesn't stun. That's the difference. Black Hole is a better comparison.

Tusk is a bit imba, and with the right teammates, can bring off some sick combos. Gank early and mid game with him. He is very mana dependant though, so I prefer Arcane Boots over Phase Boots. STR gain isn't that high, so he's not a true tank, similar to Mag. Overall, pretty fun to play.

Smart play and aoe (especially Silence abilities) can really destroy his combos/strats. I love the dialog when he's with CM.

Speaking of dialog, I found the funniest so far to be Timbersaw when he's with Prophet. I love these little things they put in the game.

Is this a good game? Heard a little about it, and just watched a match. Seems to be like a RTS version of WoW's battlegrounds.

Yes, it's good.

It has some similarities with RTS games and AV in WoW. But it's very different because there are so many hero choices and millions of combinations for a team of 5, with a quick choice and ability to respond to enemy choices. Players all start equally and then choose items and buy more throughout the game, instead ofof gearing before the match.

Invoker has a complex skill set similar to a full-fledged RPG mage, like he's imported from WoW.

Domination last night.

I decided to play a round with my brother. He picked Tusk and I wanted to pick Spirit Breaker so we could both ram people (my charge and his snowball) but the other team picked SB :( So I decided to pick Rikki just for fun because one of the other team's player seemed to play him alot ( I was under the impression he would know how to counter me).

Finished the game 20-0-4 :rolleyes:

Shadow Shaman and Visage in my lane fed me, I was free to roam around and gank all the round. The match was done in 25 minutes...

Visage tried to counter me by buying a Gem of True Sight but my brother ambushed him and I finished him and grabbed the gem which helped me with their invis hero (the scarab one but not nyx. Don,t know if it's his skill or item).

Felt bad for the other team tho... was too easy :mad:

Domination last night.

I decided to play a round with my brother. He picked Tusk and I wanted to pick Spirit Breaker so we could both ram people (my charge and his snowball) but the other team picked SB :( So I decided to pick Rikki just for fun because one of the other team's player seemed to play him alot ( I was under the impression he would know how to counter me).

Finished the game 20-0-4 :rolleyes:

Shadow Shaman and Visage in my lane fed me, I was free to roam around and gank all the round. The match was done in 25 minutes...

Visage tried to counter me by buying a Gem of True Sight but my brother ambushed him and I finished him and grabbed the gem which helped me with their invis hero (the scarab one but not nyx. Don,t know if it's his skill or item).

Felt bad for the other team tho... was too easy :mad:
Had a friend go 41-0 on him a few days ago, despite the opposing team spamming sentry wards everywhere. Heh

Had another good game recently where I picked Tiny and all I did was toss my Centaur teammate into the enemy team, and then follow up Centaur's stomp with an avalanche. It was funny how the opposing team fell for it so many times.

Had a friend go 41-0 on him a few days ago, despite the opposing team spamming sentry wards everywhere. Heh

Had another good game recently where I picked Tiny and all I did was toss my Centaur teammate into the enemy team, and then follow up Centaur's stomp with an avalanche. It was funny how the opposing team fell for it so many times.

41 is more then ive had, my max is 37 hit it a couple days ago with outworld destroyer, scepter and refresher... they tried to kong and i double ulted ( hilarious )

I'm really digging this game. I'm still trying out all the different characters. So far I really like Tiny, Ursa, Sven, Drow Ranger (OP), and Sniper. I just played a game with Viper, and it went well. I'm hoping to get good with Nyx Assassin, Riki, or Slark for some sneaky gankage, but so far I suck with them.

My goal is to find my favorite Hero in each of the 3 attribute categories (STR, AGI, INT) and then focus on getting really good with each of them. So far I haven't played anyone on the INT side yet. Never been a wizard kind of guy.

So is there an [H] group or anything where people team up and play?

I'm really digging this game. I'm still trying out all the different characters. So far I really like Tiny, Ursa, Sven, Drow Ranger (OP), and Sniper. I just played a game with Viper, and it went well. I'm hoping to get good with Nyx Assassin, Riki, or Slark for some sneaky gankage, but so far I suck with them.

My goal is to find my favorite Hero in each of the 3 attribute categories (STR, AGI, INT) and then focus on getting really good with each of them. So far I haven't played anyone on the INT side yet. Never been a wizard kind of guy.

Int isn't strictly wizardly. Try Windrunner, she's a hero that gets massively better as you get better, but is still easy enough to play new to the game.

its nice to learn a few heros, but you really need to know most of them, or have an idea on how to play them. Each hero has counters, if your playing All pick then you must be able to counter the enemy team. Its really not about Str, Agi, and INT

its about Carry, Support, Ganker, and Semi-Carry.

Yeah but what confuses me is that many heroes can be: Ganker, Nuker and Carry all at the same time. Or you can have different combinations which adds to my confusion ><

It's all situational. For some heroes that can fill multiple roles, it really depends on your team lineup. For example, Venomancer's role is very item dependant. You can give him dps items and make him a carry, or you can give him support items to be more of a caster/pusher.

Just because a hero is an AGI hero doesn't mean he/she is a carry. Some heroes can only be played one way (such as Drow, Centaur, Lich, etc), but many have the ability to fill multiple roles (Veno, Tusk, Dusa, Invoker, etc).

Your best bet is to practice against bots, or try to play with some some of the H players who can teach you and explain better over voice comms. Also, browse some of the Dota guides for ideas on how some heroes should be played.

if you are learning, do yourself a favor and your team and do not pick carries.

most people jump to carry immediately and its obnoxious and ruins an entire match

carries are heavily reliant on gold advantages / skill to win. that means almost no deaths, lots of last hits etc. as a new player these are things you are just not good at. its that simple.

play support. you can win games, watch how people play certain carries, you can ward, you can die without it being incredibly punishing etc.

What dremic said.

I will also add...

Don't random at the last second, this fucks your team.
Don't pick Riki at the last second after you already have 1-2 carries, this fucks your team.
AOE stuns are strong, with out them your team is fucked.
Tanky Heros with AOE stuns are strong, with out them there is a good chance that your team is fucked.
Ranged heroes with AOE stuns are strong, you get the picture.
Wards
Wards Wards
Don't auto attack the creeps

LASTLY... if you are playing a support hero (Lion, CM, etc) YOU DON'T NEED TO FARM GOLD DURING THE LANING PHASE... this makes your teammate who is probably a farm depented hero compete not only against the other team, but you also for last hits. Your tick gold, assist gold, and tower gold are enough. All you need early on most of these type of heroes are boots, a wand, and bracers.

So much of this game rides on the pick screen and laning phase. The other teams has to pretty much botch the lanning phase if you don't pick right.

TL:DR Read the damn thing and it will help.

But don't start the fight as a support. I had a teammate Shadow Shaman dive right in with low mana, die, and then complain. Wasn't warding, either.

Keeper of the Light is the best support choice for new players. And I suppose he's a nuker as well with a full Illuminate. Or Jakiro, it's not that hard with the AOE stun.

But don't start the fight as a support. I had a teammate Shadow Shaman dive right in with low mana, die, and then complain. Wasn't warding, either.

Keeper of the Light is the best support choice for new players. And I suppose he's a nuker as well with a full Illuminate. Or Jakiro, it's not that hard with the AOE stun.

well some people are just more aggressive. which is fine if you support them in the act.. assuming you are somebody who can be aggressive early. ursa for example..

example of people who cant be aggressive phantom assassin

^^ like mentioned above. intelligent picks win games. this game is 75% team composition 25% skill.

Yesterday, I played about 5 matches. First one I randomed Windrunner. First time I played her and I managed to do very very well with her. She was fun and easy.

Then, I tried to work on Rubick. What can I say, he is so hard to play with. There was a match where I died like 18 times vs 2 kills.

The last match was better as I started to properly use spell steal. Still, he can be frustrating and requires high level of skill to play him, imo.

Oh and I am obviously a beginner.

Yesterday, I played about 5 matches. First one I randomed Windrunner. First time I played her and I managed to do very very well with her. She was fun and easy.

Then, I tried to work on Rubick. What can I say, he is so hard to play with. There was a match where I died like 18 times vs 2 kills.

The last match was better as I started to properly use spell steal. Still, he can be frustrating and requires high level of skill to play him, imo.

you should avoid rubick unless you really know what spells the other team's characters have. lich is good if your new, avoid using your ult if theres enemy creeps near the enemy.

Yeah I would avoid Invoker, Wisp, Meepo, and Rubick as a beginner.

Tinker and Shadow Demon would probably work better and those I said before.

Can Troll Warlord be a support? no

Last edited:

first mistake people make with rubick is side laning.

he is a mid hero. and is almost never successful in a lane. also people dont realize fade bolt is essentially spamable and it makes it extremely hard for them to last hit because it reduces their attack dmg.

invoker is another mid hero only. he is often looked at as being the most challenging hero to play but hes not. my first 3 games with him i face rolled the other team. just look up a QUAS-WEX build and you will do fine, cold snap/emp/tornado rape. you have ghost walk to escape if need be as well.

first mistake people make with rubick is side laning.

he is a mid hero. and is almost never successful in a lane..

Rubick is a fantastic lane partner and is extremely successful in trilanes.

Edited: herp derp.

Last edited:
]|[ Mar']['in ]|[;1039782646 said:
Rubick is a fantastic lane partner and is extremely successful in trilanes.

He's not a hard carry. He's a utility hero. The 3 roll *MAYBE* 2. As in send him side lane solo, or mid solo.

no rubick is not a good lane partner sorry dude.

no rubick is not a good lane partner sorry dude.

In your opinion I guess not. But in the professional scene's opinion he is. He's almost always played in the trilane (aggressive or defensive). Sometimes he's run as part of a roaming gank duo. and least of all he's played solo mid. (That isn't to say he doesn't do well mid).

I'm not sure where you play but in team matchmaking and in very high solo match making, we tend to run him that way as well.

edit: Generally you grab a Rubick + either a lina, or leshrac, and you kill people while your carry farms in the safe lane, or your carry gets the kills in the aggressive lane and you take a fast tower.

and troll warlord is not a utility hero

he does basic damage with an attack speed buff, no crowd control, and doesn't come online until late game

I have no idea where you are getting the idea that troll warlord can function as a support in any capacity but you're wrong

If your point is that he's a shitty hard carry then I agree but that doesn't make him something else it just means he's not very good at what he's intended to do. if you want to run him as a 2 or 3 you've simply wasted a slot for a better hero

and troll warlord is not a utility hero

he does basic damage with an attack speed buff, no crowd control, and doesn't come online until late game

I have no idea where you are getting the idea that troll warlord can function as a support in any capacity but you're wrong

Ah I went up and re-read. Whoever typed the initial post said Troll CHIEFTAIN. Which I read as Tauren Chieftain. Which is why I was saying utility mid/side lane solo (magnus style).

Troll warlord is a shit carry hero.

Rubick shouldn't be played solo mid *or* aggressive trilane by someone just beginning because that basically makes the game rest on the beginner's shoulders. There are much better (easier) supports to try if you're going to try and fulfill a lane support role. I would suggest sticking with windrunner for a bit.

That said, I don't think that beginners should be slotted as supports anyway because that role is particularly critical for the game. I'd much rather babysit a beginner than be babysat by one.

Rubick shouldn't be played solo mid *or* aggressive trilane by someone just beginning because that basically makes the game rest on the beginner's shoulders. There are much better (easier) supports to try if you're going to try and fulfill a lane support role. I would suggest sticking with windrunner for a bit.

That said, I don't think that beginners should be slotted as supports anyway because that role is particularly critical for the game. I'd much rather babysit a beginner than be babysat by one.

interesting point of view, I tend to prefer to try to carry new people kicking and screaming to a victory instead of trying to push them to one. I suppose both could be effective enough though.

Are we talking about a new player who is already good at last-hitting?

Pick Clinkz and his escape will save your life a few times, or sneak up on someone to gank.

Back