Dota 2 Official Thread

Steam ID is FecalFighter

Would like to have some people to group with... tried to play a game last night.... and got a team who picked all melee and then two left.

Oh shit, we must have so many game developers and publicists browsing these boards for the number of "official" threads I see. Is working at Valve really as super as I hear?

Silliness aside: I got gifted a copy of the beta and can't even start to figure out what to do. The menu is set up horribly: here are a bunch of characters, some leaderboards, and now guess at exactly what this game is about and how you play it. Have fun! That's our part over.

Oh shit, we must have so many game developers and publicists browsing these boards for the number of "official" threads I see. Is working at Valve really as super as I hear?

Silliness aside: I got gifted a copy of the beta and can't even start to figure out what to do. The menu is set up horribly: here are a bunch of characters, some leaderboards, and now guess at exactly what this game is about and how you play it. Have fun! That's our part over.

This is a large part of why its still (closed) beta. Valve wants to release an approachable, well-explained game. The largest issue is that while the goal of the game is pretty clear (kill the other guy's base), the most effective paths to that goal are highly counter-intuitive. It is almost a micro-cosm of MMOs: The goal is to go kill that raid boss, but first bring me 30 creep-lasthits and I'll reward you with your choice of sick items needed to crush your opponents.

The easiest way to learn a bit is press play at the top, then create a lobby, under lobby options enable bots (passive difficulty) and then just start. You will get a screen of heroes to pick, either pick random (there is a button) or pick one that looks cool. No rush, passive bots have plenty of time. Now experiment like crazy. Things you learn from this won't win you many games versus thinking people, but they get you somewhat familiar with the control scheme, economy, etc.

Edit again: Dremic is still wrong about CM :) She builds flexibly but depending on AOE requirements and team/lanemates, Start 1-1-1 and max Q or W while potentially skipping ulti. Goal for me is to go something like 4-3-2-2 at 11. Aura is handy but so long as it is keeping your mana requirements in check, no need to level it higher.

Disclaimer: Sometimes your team needs the mana aura. Thats fine, 1141 is a real build too, but USUALLY the mana aura isn't worth being a non-factor starting at 10 minutes.

Last edited:

there can be an official hard thread too bro :(

lmao yeah there isnt much of a tutorial. Game takes some time to learn. the curve is steep but well worth it. and there are about a million tutorials on dota games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akUNmFAzS98

The easiest way to learn a bit is press play at the top, then create a lobby, under lobby options enable bots (passive difficulty) and then just start. You will get a screen of heroes to pick, either pick random (there is a button) or pick one that looks cool. No rush, passive bots have plenty of time. Now experiment like crazy. Things you learn from this won't win you many games versus thinking people, but they get you somewhat familiar with the control scheme, economy, etc.

That's exactly what I did in an attempt not to shit up someone else's game but... still ended up meandering around aimlessly trying to understand exactly what the process was meant to be. I've never been into any MOBAs before, since the people I've known who play them all tend to be the scummiest parts of /v/ touching their own dicks and waving their autism-spectrum disorders around. But I wanted to give it a fair try and evaluate it on merit. The only real hurdle being that to a MOBA newcomer it's not really clear where to start.

I should just get youtubing, I guess. Too many games to play, not enough time.

Subbed.

I learned to play DOTA 2 after following a thread on Neogaf that led me to dotafire.com
Dotafire has guides written for all heroes that pretty much guide you how you should be progressing through a round. I found a really good guide when I started that basically broke it down by level and minutes. At Lvl X, do this; at 10 minutes you should be here, do this. Once you get the hang of the flow, then its easier to experiment with other strategies like buying other items, taking different upgrade paths, etc, etc. Now I just random pick on every game, because I still have not played with all the heroes and am still learning most of them, but already have a few favorites. (Phantom Panther, Death Prophet, Viper+Manta oh yes)

Yes and Sn0_Man is right, play easy(It's a damn lie) bot matches in the beginning. That way you know what a real team coming at you looks like. Most people don't team up and communicate like the bots do.

This is a large part of why its still (closed) beta. Valve wants to release an approachable, well-explained game. The largest issue is that while the goal of the game is pretty clear (kill the other guy's base), the most effective paths to that goal are highly counter-intuitive. It is almost a micro-cosm of MMOs: The goal is to go kill that raid boss, but first bring me 30 creep-lasthits and I'll reward you with your choice of sick items needed to crush your opponents.

Edit again: Dremic is still wrong about CM :) She builds flexibly but depending on AOE requirements and team/lanemates, Start 1-1-1 and max Q or W while potentially skipping ulti. Goal for me is to go something like 4-3-2-2 at 11. Aura is handy but so long as it is keeping your mana requirements in check, no need to level it higher.

Disclaimer: Sometimes your team needs the mana aura. Thats fine, 1141 is a real build too, but USUALLY the mana aura isn't worth being a non-factor starting at 10 minutes.

you can easily dominate a lane with 1-1-4-1 builds. especially if you arent babysitting. but even if you are babysitting its still extremely efficient for your team mates. you can essentially ability spam them. maybe it has been awhile since youve had 200% mana regen at level 6

anyways. people play differently. personally i think the mana regen and ice imprisonment is a better way to play. especially with the majority of team compositions. nothing like a sven that can stun all the time

EDIT:

also i still look at guides sometimes as I originally came from HoN and some of the heroes differ. Also sometimes i look at other peoples skill builds etc.

i generally like finding new ways to play as well, for instance ursa with a shadowblade in a pub is hilarious because nobody buys observer wards or eyes.

Clockwerk seems pretty strong, I know he was in some tourney matches in October.

The cogs can also be used to escape, block a choke point, slow a GS Sven on the rampage, etc. And melee allies can still attack a foe trapped in them from the outside. Flare is global, obviously, but it's also 200 to their face in close range. Mana costs are low.

Clockwerk is pretty ineffective when he is behind, since his main stun and core ability really is his ulti that pulls him in to enemies. Unfortunately, if you aren't way ahead of that enemy, showing up beside him is much akin to suicide (especially if he has buddies who can get to him faster than your buddies can show up. I mean, his abilities do stuff but when the core of your hero is "put myself as far out of position as is humanly possible" you might need to rethink your hero choice XD.

IF Clockwerk can get ahead enough, then he becomes an unstoppable, nigh-global rape train, but there are lots of other heroes who do similar things when ahead and offer less suicide when behind. (Pudge comes to mind).

Clockwerk seems pretty strong, I know he was in some tourney matches in October.

The cogs can also be used to escape, block a choke point, slow a GS Sven on the rampage, etc. And melee allies can still attack a foe trapped in them from the outside. Flare is global, obviously, but it's also 200 to their face in close range. Mana costs are low.

he is a good counter for enigma i think thats about it though? hah personally i dont like him much in dota 2. in HoN the same hero difference design Pharoah was a little bit stronger and viable

I asked in the other Dota thread, basically if anyone wants a key i got 2 of them.

when is dota 2 official release? I been stuck on league so much.. hmm

Unannounced. However, the game is in essentially open beta if you have an existing steam account, there are zillions of free keys floating around. See: the post above you.

Most estimates regarding full release are sometime (early) 2013 right now, but nobody really knows.

Clockwerk is pretty ineffective when he is behind, since his main stun and core ability really is his ulti that pulls him in to enemies. Unfortunately, if you aren't way ahead of that enemy, showing up beside him is much akin to suicide (especially if he has buddies who can get to him faster than your buddies can show up. I mean, his abilities do stuff but when the core of your hero is "put myself as far out of position as is humanly possible" you might need to rethink your hero choice XD.

IF Clockwerk can get ahead enough, then he becomes an unstoppable, nigh-global rape train, but there are lots of other heroes who do similar things when ahead and offer less suicide when behind. (Pudge comes to mind).

The grappling hook is a core ability, but the other abilities will be used more often due to CD.

Every kind of swap, TP, rewind from Weaver, etc. has to be used deftly. Vengeful Spirit can get surrounded and torn to pieces but the trade can be worth it. So CW has to be careful. But if you're with your allies, it is good go directly at the supports trying to stay back and wail on them, or fleeing enemies, hook an ally to escape, etc.

Storm Hammer usually means Sven will then run up to attack, but that running takes a second or two. The ulti at lvl 3 just does that instantly with a two-second stun.

Edit: Magnus is on god tier now for always being banned, and he can get out of position/killed with Skewer if the timing is wrong.

Last edited:
i cant wait to see what they do after all the dota heroes have been implemented.

i would like to see some icefrog development heroes. since HoN did such a shit job at it. id love to see them

SteamID is Bentley813, please add me so I can stop playing with so many..... bad players.

Never got into the 1st one. From the looks of it, it's like a Warcraft 3 type strategy game. Yeah?

I tried Dota 2 a few times, but not having anybody I know play it makes it harder to get into. You can add me also.

honestly the game is infuriating sometimes. i feel like some people dont even bother to try and learn how to play.

Never got into the 1st one. From the looks of it, it's like a Warcraft 3 type strategy game. Yeah?

Yes, it's like that in many ways. Basically the goal is to bash open as many piñatas full of gold as possible, or help a teammate to do it. The creeps are pawns, cannon fodder along the way. Buy and build items instead of units.

But it could be much more complex as an RPG, as seen with the hero Invoker. And there's a dungeon boss.

Played a game last night with Virai... I played like a total dumpster fire... still trying to transition from HoN (which I wasn't all that good at to begin with).

Really like dota's art style and feel over HoN... seems it will be the bigger game once it opens up.

Though I can't for the life of me figure out why LoL has the following it does.

Played a game last night with Virai... I played like a total dumpster fire... still trying to transition from HoN (which I wasn't all that good at to begin with).

Really like dota's art style and feel over HoN... seems it will be the bigger game once it opens up.

Though I can't for the life of me figure out why LoL has the following it does.

LoL has a low skill ceiling, and its not nearly as punishing and hardcore.

its very simple and is very casual. it appeals to a bigger crowd.

i consider myself to be decent at games and dota took a LONG time for me to get only decent at as there are plenty of people who are way better then me. the game is not very friendly to new players

LoL was free to play in 2009, so it drew in a lot of people. Riot did and does various things to get market share.

This also applies to Farmville and Zynga. :D

i consider myself to be decent at games and dota took a LONG time for me to get only decent at as there are plenty of people who are way better then me. the game is not very friendly to new players

Yes and the lack of the tutorial in the client also leaves truly new players stymied.

I played some knock-offs in Starcraft 2 and watched TI2, so I had some idea of what was going on and picked Brewmaster.

dota 2 is kinda boring, its the same old same old over and over again.

if you don't have friends who play, then its almost pointless playing against other teams, you will just get ganked far to often.

I mean i can carry a team by myself, usually as i have mastered last hitting. Against a good team though forget about it.

Steam id Btu_Ebduncan.

I've stopped playing really, but i might play a few more if some folks wanna play with me.

I think the pro players really show what this game can do, how it can be unpredictable and have dramatic swings in the game. Plus visual overload and twitch timing in teamfights.

I especially like Black from Team Zero, he will roll with Gyrocopter, Alchemist, Phantom Assassin, etc.

Also there is constant change in the metagame, what's hot one week can fade in two weeks. Bounty Hunter and Jakiro rise, Lycan and Morphling are abandoned.

I think it is hilarious when some jerkoff on my team is like "STOP AUTO ATTACKING!!!"

...like, literally freaking out about it.

anyways people play drow and huskar too much.

dota 2 is a great game.
just hate that you feel like you've been playing for 15 minutes and look at the clock which says 44 minutes

Having fun learning the game and getting better slowly :)

I'm not even sure how I enjoyed the game while learning...

But I clearly did because I'm at like 3K games (between HoN and Dota 2, but w/e, the skills are directly transferrable).

Rofl @Gooch. The reason he was freaking out is because he is stuck in the game with you for the next half hour and despite him informing you of how you can be better with no additional effort on your part, you are persisting with actively sabotaging his chances of victory. It sounds harsh, but that's Dota. Also, Drow is OP so I don't blame people :p

So I used Goblin Shredder, aka Timbersaw, and it's kind of strange. The ulti has almost no CD, but drained my mana pretty quickly. Stack int or short shuris?

And the grappling hook isn't very viable when assaulting the edge of their base, so that hurts. I saw some trees if tier 3 is already demolished, but then it's more moot.

I'm not even sure how I enjoyed the game while learning...

But I clearly did because I'm at like 3K games (between HoN and Dota 2, but w/e, the skills are directly transferrable).

Rofl @Gooch. The reason he was freaking out is because he is stuck in the game with you for the next half hour and despite him informing you of how you can be better with no additional effort on your part, you are persisting with actively sabotaging his chances of victory. It sounds harsh, but that's Dota. Also, Drow is OP so I don't blame people :p

same. I quit hon a few times. then we started playing more and more.. found a couple heroes I liked. and got really good.. then learned not to play EM and AP.

I think I played like 1500 HoN games.

Ive played like 500 ish dota 2 games or something like that. I dont play as much.. had to grow up.. just a little hah

drow is retarded right now

So I used Goblin Shredder, aka Timbersaw, and it's kind of strange. The ulti has almost no CD, but drained my mana pretty quickly. Stack int or short shuris?

And the grappling hook isn't very viable when assaulting the edge of their base, so that hurts. I saw some trees if tier 3 is already demolished, but then it's more moot.

If it makes you feel better I tried Meepo for the first time. they dont have a HoN counterpart for meep or if they did i had quit by then. it was embarrassing.

Back