dota 2 closed beta released

i have 2 hon account and 1 subaccount atm but would never play it again after dota2 is released.

in the end hon probably dies off, but lol will stay alive because it has a pretty decent sized community. i honestly dont see why anyone would play lol rather than hon/dota. the only reason i can think of that lol got a big community is due to the fact that its free.

i have 2 hon account and 1 subaccount atm but would never play it again after dota2 is released.

in the end hon probably dies off, but lol will stay alive because it has a pretty decent sized community. i honestly dont see why anyone would play lol rather than hon/dota. the only reason i can think of that lol got a big community is due to the fact that its free.

LoL is also really fun.

I have well over 1,400 games played.

Ever notice that the HoN threads are real small, while we still have an ongoing League of Legends thread with hundreds of posts and thousands of views?

well i know hon community is tiny compared to lol but if both were released as f2p hon would be much more popular.

I think people greatly underestimate just how many people still play(ed) dota 1 over HoN and LoL.

Take all those people, combined with all the people that will leave HoN and LoL, and it's no contest.

I think many more underestimate a free, triple A, cash shop title's player base versus a purchased, triple A, cash shop title's.

To the comment about both HoN and LoL being pay-to-play and HoN being more successful; HoN was the first to enter Beta of the two (read: free) and had -far- less accounts created than LoL during it's beta phase. I do admit it's a matter of personal preference but LoL just works better, in mine.

too bad valve is taking so long to get the game finished. whats the point of having the 1million tourny if your not going to release anytime soon sigh.

I personally wasn't impressed with DotA 2 from the feeds I watched. Game was slow and felt old (hell they still used the same annoucer that was ripped off from UT).

No inovation, it is just dota 2 with updated graphics. I like the look and feel of HoN...thats what made the choice easy over LoL.

Will be interested to see how DotA is at release.

well i know hon community is tiny compared to lol but if both were released as f2p hon would be much more popular.

Hon is free to play and I play it regularly ( inbetween bf3:D) But it is not dying anytime soon. i think a few days ago i saw 60k people logged on.

60k is respectable but -> "Riot games announced that with their 15 million active LoL accounts they get 500k concurrent users logged on almost daily."

Hell, their tournament live streams get 130k concurrent users.

Again, to each their own but I think the debate is over regarding HoN vs. LoL.

too bad valve is taking so long to get the game finished. whats the point of having the 1million tourny if your not going to release anytime soon sigh.

They're trying to do it right, not just kick it out the door in order to start reeling in the cash. I suspect that IceFrog has very high standards for the quality of the game and that every little detail will be polished by release. I mean, they're basically releasing 2-3 heroes per week right now with extensive patch notes detailing fixes of about 50 things on top of that. Many of these fixes aren't just technical either--they're addressing bugs with some of the complex skill interactions.

The International was designed to create hype and interest in the game with a public reveal of pretty epic proportions for competitive gaming. It sort of raised the stakes on prize pools for tournaments in a way that no other tournament had done before.

then they shouldnt have gotten everyone hyped by doing a 1million dollar tournament so much in advanced. that doesnt make any sense marketing wise.

then they shouldnt have gotten everyone hyped by doing a 1million dollar tournament so much in advanced. that doesnt make any sense marketing wise.

I agree, should have had the tournament a month before release. Not a month or two before closed beta starts.

It's Valve, they do whatever the fuck they want, they are rarely wrong.

Indeed, more people play LoL even though HoN is the better game.

It certainly excels in many areas. Though, fun/concept/execution/art/style/engine/UI/FX/community are not among them, sadly.

Perspective, perspective, perspective. :)

Valve will have a successful game, no doubt, but can it compete with free to play?

i doubt it will be able to compete with f2p. but as long as there is a decent competitive scene its all good with me.

not many popular competitive team play games around now days. except for lol which i really tried to enjoy but cant.

I used to really enjoy competitive games like this, including PvP in MMORPG's, until they all became dominated by Korean teenagers that play 20 hours a day and talk using weird smiley faces.

It certainly excels in many areas. Though, fun/concept/execution/art/style/engine/UI/FX/community are not among them, sadly.

Perspective, perspective, perspective. :)

Valve will have a successful game, no doubt, but can it compete with free to play?

Of all the things people have claimed are superior in LoL, I don't know I've ever heard concept (which DoTA originated and HoN uses, and LoL bastardized) or art/style (really?) among them.

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[;1037970759 said:
I received my invite(s) from filling out the survey last night. So fucking excited to finally be playing.

Hookup another 9-year [H]er? :) I made a key sharing thread in GenMay for that reason. No luck here or with any of my IRL friends.

It will make improvements. It will not be to MOBA's as Half Life 2 was to shooters, as you make it
seem.

In the end, HoN will die off, LoL will have far more players and DoTA will be a minorly superior purchase-to-play game.
you are so wrong I wont even comment anything except giving you an advice: Don't talk about things you don't know :)

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[;1037976147 said:
I think people greatly underestimate just how many people still play(ed) dota 1 over HoN and LoL.

Take all those people, combined with all the people that will leave HoN and LoL, and it's no contest.
Exactly. Dota has more than 20million active players. That's active players mind you. Not 15mil dupli/fake/one-time-used LoL accounts.

I personally wasn't impressed with DotA 2 from the feeds I watched. Game was slow and felt old (hell they still used the same annoucer that was ripped off from UT).

No inovation, it is just dota 2 with updated graphics. I like the look and feel of HoN...thats what made the choice easy over LoL.

Will be interested to see how DotA is at release.
UT sounds were used with permission from Epic.

There is no need for this "innovation" you are looking for. Dota is a game that constantly receives balance patches and new contents. It is not a game where you can just change a few critical things, screw up the balance and then call it "innovation."

60k is respectable but -> "Riot games announced that with their 15 million active LoL accounts they get 500k concurrent users logged on almost daily."

Hell, their tournament live streams get 130k concurrent users.

Again, to each their own but I think the debate is over regarding HoN vs. LoL.
That is because they don't even have replay feature (last i checked). So people are forced to watch live streams.

Dota is not football/soccer. When viewing a match, every person wants to control the view themselves. And that's what people do with Dota and are going to do with Dota 2.

No disagreement about LoL > HoN.

tl;dr; Dota is still better than LoL/HoN. Dota 2 is meant to be Dota with its limitations (from wc3 engine) removed.
And that is why, Dota 2 > all. ;)

*snipped excellent post*

I play LoL exclusively and I pretty much agree with everything in your most excellently written post. You are spot on and I agree completely.

When Dota 2 launches, I will leave it behind in favor of Dota 2.

Valve + IceFrog? Nothing can go wrong there.

I know it's a long shot, but if anyone has an extra key to spare, I would be forever thankful. I've never played the original DOTA, but I've been playing LoL for the past few months, and I love anything Valve does in general (and I don't even get mad about Episode 3).

They gave out 2 more keys to beta users today. Gave mine away already tho :(

In terms of gameplay. HoN > DoTA2 > LoL.

I'm curious, anyone actually get a key that filled out the survey in a way which suggests they have very minimal DOTA experience?

Or was that disclaimer just a "trick" :p

I have submitted my survey with my macbook pro last week, so still waiting invite. Is Dota2 beta have Mac client?

My friend and I are finally starting to hit our stride I think. With me as AA and him as Tidehunter we can make a big enough difference for our teamates to succeed even if they aren't all that great.

It would be fun to play some in houses though.

No invite here, just checked :(

If anybody has some invites to hand out, let me know, I'm interested.

I have over 1,500 games played on League of Legends.

:( I have gotten so many beta invites to games I don't really care about. Closed beta invite to swotor, closed beta to wow BC but the one game I actually want a beta invite I don't get :(

I know how you feel munkle, i got beta invites to BC, WOTLK, and not for Cataclysm, but IDC about that, and no invite to a game I'd actually pay money to get into beta, lol.

I know how you feel munkle, i got beta invites to BC, WOTLK, and not for Cataclysm, but IDC about that, and no invite to a game I'd actually pay money to get into beta, lol.

I should have sold my BC beta key, they were going for like $150 on ebay. :p

Nuts, I should have completed the survey back when it was sent to me (I first signed up during the tournament streaming thing months ago)... just did it now.

Yes, I signed up the very minute it became available, they first had beta signups that night when they were live streaming their Dota 2 million dollar tourney on dota2.com

Why not just wait for yours to come then?

Back