DOOM: The Dark Ages

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Untitled-1.jpg

Might come out this year but you know how that works.

Relatively reliable industry insider Tom Henderson has said that the next game in the DOOM franchise dubbed "The Dark Ages," previously known as "Year Zero" in documents leaked during the FTC case against Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard King, will be revealed during the Xbox Games Showcase on June 9.

https://insider-gaming.com/doom-the-dark-ages/

looking forward to it...Doom (2016) and Doom Eternal were top notch...Eternal seemed to be a lot more divisive because of the platforming but I loved the game and consider it one of the best FPS games of the last 20 years...the addition of ray-tracing only made it better

lots of gaming showcases coming in June- Xbox, Ubisoft, PlayStation and the big one- Summer Game Fest

hopefully Bethesda doesn't listen to the small minority that hated Eternal and keeps the overall gameplay similar

I mean whatever this is clearly already isn't Eternal

It barely looks like Doom, but here we are

I'm a fan of Panzer Dragoon, not sure if I'm a fan of Panzer Dragoon in my DooM, though.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't do a new Heretic/Hexen title instead if they wanted a more Medieval setting for their next game.

I'm a fan of Panzer Dragoon, not sure if I'm a fan of Panzer Dragoon in my DooM, though.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't do a new Heretic/Hexen title instead if they wanted a more Medieval setting for their next game.

Yeah the concept is fine but I was left thinking Quake 1 or Hexen is closer thematically to whatever they're attempting here

But I guess they want the brand recognition

So Doomguy is a 'superweapon of gods' now?
Hasn't he basically been bonkers lore wise since the reboot

I thought the new lore established he practically had no upper bounds of strength and he could essentially Doomguy his way though anything

Weird. Def wont be a day one buy.

Would rather see Quake 5 / Q4 sequel. Been almost 19 years since Quake 4 was released.

The game looks a bit weird, but the gameplay still looks incredibly fun and action packed. I'm down for what they showed off. The new shield stuff looked really fun. Flying on a dragon and breathing fire on demons? Yeah, sure, count me in. Doomguy in a giant mech fighting giant demons? Fuck yes. I kind of dig the medieval take on his outfit too.

Weird. Def wont be a day one buy.

Would rather see Quake 5 / Q4 sequel. Been almost 19 years since Quake 4 was released.

I'm not even sure how Quake would work in today's market because:

1. Let's be real, the meat of Quake is the MP
2. It's impossible to play Quake on the consoles like you can on PC
3. If the movement isn't Quake, there will be riots

Consoles will have baby Quake. Keyboard and mouse will be required to play big boy Quake.

You just can't move the same way on a controller, you will wind up with console moving half the speed on average. Movement is HUGE in every Quake and it just straight up doesn't map to consoles in any form. Quake 1-4 are all controller hostile.

Consoles will have baby Quake. Keyboard and mouse will be required to play big boy Quake.

You just can't move the same way on a controller, you will wind up with console moving half the speed on average. Movement is HUGE in every Quake and it just straight up doesn't map to consoles in any form. Quake 1-4 are all controller hostile.

There was a decent enough attempt with Q3A on the Dreamcast, but even then it didn't hold a candle to the PC version.

Not for me. I was interested with the idea of a dark ages version, but this just looks like Doom in a different setting. I realize this is what some people will want, but I thought it would get more into dark ages style weapons and fantasy creatures with less guns and fireballs..

Not for me. I was interested with the idea of a dark ages version, but this just looks like Doom in a different setting. I realize this is what some people will want, but I thought it would get more into dark ages style weapons and fantasy creatures with less guns and fireballs..

This is Brutal Legend but not parody, and I'm fine with that, based on this trailer.

What ID needs to do us stop making the level design crisp and clear add some smoke to cloud up the level design the original had that Cthulu look to it the gotta make it blurry yo add an element of suprise. These Doom gave have draw rate from here to the rock 🪨 of gilbralter. Or dark corridors and make cramped in spaces. something along the lines of Deadspace or Doom3.

"Before he was a hero..."

But I thought Eternal established that Doomslayer is OG Doomguy made ascendant after Doom 64. Who is this guy donning the armor? Or does this take place between 64 and 2016?

1. Quake started as a single player game with multiplayer attached to it, just like Doom. There is only one dedicated multiplayer game in the series of 4 games. I don't consider Quake Champions a Quake game.
  2. Bullshit because the OG Quake remaster plays splendidly on my Series X with a controller. I played through the whole base game on Nightmare without an issue. I'm going to do the Quake II remaster in the near future.
  3. See #2. When the remaster launched there were some odd changes made to the movement, but after being patched the original movement came back.
Both the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S support mouse & keyboard input. It's up to the game devs to implement in the console versions of their games. Nightdive put keyboard & mouse support into the console versions of the Doom 64 remaster. But the crybabies on console will call it unfair in the optional multiplayer.

Kind of surprised by this announcement, as I thought for sure a Quake remake was coming before another new Doom game. And this setting sure looks kinda like a Quake setting. Is it possible at QuakeCon in August we also get Quake game reveal?

Kind of surprised by this announcement, as I thought for sure a Quake remake was coming before another new Doom game. And this setting sure looks kinda like a Quake setting. Is it possible at QuakeCon in August we also get Quake game reveal?
I sure hope so. Seems like the perfect fit for the multiverse thing id are going with. It needs to go back to the Cthulhu mythos inspired setting, though, instead of retreading the Strogg. Who cares about the Strogg, Tim?

"Before he was a hero..."

But I thought Eternal established that Doomslayer is OG Doomguy made ascendant after Doom 64. Who is this guy donning the armor? Or does this take place between 64 and 2016?

1. Quake started as a single player game with multiplayer attached to it, just like Doom. There is only one dedicated multiplayer game in the series of 4 games. I don't consider Quake Champions a Quake game.
  2. Bullshit because the OG Quake remaster plays splendidly on my Series X with a controller. I played through the whole base game on Nightmare without an issue. I'm going to do the Quake II remaster in the near future.
  3. See #2. When the remaster launched there were some odd changes made to the movement, but after being patched the original movement came back.
Both the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S support mouse & keyboard input. It's up to the game devs to implement in the console versions of their games. Nightdive put keyboard & mouse support into the console versions of the Doom 64 remaster. But the crybabies on console will call it unfair in the optional multiplayer.

I mean people don't go to Quakecon to play the SP campaign. MP is what made the games endure.

You can't play Quake competitively in multiplayer on controller. You can not move like any competent player. Your only hope is playing against more controller cripples.

It's just the way the physics work in the games, there's no way to gain speed like you can on mouse/keyboard.

The game "works" in the most literal sense, but you're not even in the same realm. Even the most basic of movement tricks are just completely out the window.

I mean people don't go to Quakecon to play the SP campaign.
That is like saying people only play Call of Duty for the multiplayer, and look what Activision had to do after they got rid of the single player in Black Ops IIII.
MP is what made the games endure.
Has it, though? How many people still play Quake, II, or IV for the mutliplayer? How many people are still playing the modern version of Quake III Arena, Quake Live? Quake Champions? It's literally in the hundreds. All the people I've seen clamoring for a new Quake game online haven't been doing it for a multiplayer game.

I think it looks incredible, they've been needing to change it up for a while. I enjoyed 2016, didn't really care for eternal because it felt like a more polished version of 2016 with a fixed game play loop. I didn't mind the gameplay of eternal, but I'm ready for them to change things up a bit. The shield should be a nice addition, the environments look really great too.

reminds me of the Transformers movies...didn't they also shift to some Dark Ages setting for one of the movies?

A little off-topic, but I couldn't help but snicker when I saw the projected revenue for Redfall at $155 million. I haven't seen any final figures, but I know that one was one of the biggest bombs this decade and they VASTLY overestimated it's potential success.

Darker, grittier, and more grounded appear to be hallmarks of the new game. Sounds like somewhat of a return to form in terms of gameplay with an aesthetic that swaps some of the sci-fi for medieval.

"Doom Eternal went up in the air - you were like an F-22 fighter jet. In Doom: The Dark Ages, you're going to feel like an Abrams tank."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3KftOn8YdE

2016 was perfect, I doubt it'll ever be topped, for me at least. I'll definitely play this but not sure how I feel about it from what I've seen so far, the mounted dragon stuff in particular. Doom is something that doesn't need new mechanics to feel "fresh", and Eternal proved that to me. I'm definitely on board with this one being "darker" though.

Back