DOOM Vulkan Support Now Live

HardOCP News

[H] News
Robert Duffy, id Software’s Chief Technology Officer, sends word that Vulkan support for DOOM is now live. If you already own DOOM, you might want to fire it up again and see what Vulkan brings to the table. If you don't own DOOM, now is as good a time as any to give it a go. You can find the link to the demo here.

At id Software, we’ve always pushed technology. With DOOM we let the game drive the technology decisions from early on. This has continued even in post-release, with new updates and more. Today we’re excited to share another big technology push: Vulkan support is now live on PC. When we were looking to adopt Vulkan for DOOM, the main question we asked ourselves was: “What’s the gamer benefit?” Ultimately the biggest benefit will be high framerates. There are a number of game-focused reasons super-high framerates matter, but primarily its movement and player feel. The game just feels amazing running that fast, so we made it a priority to try to really exploit the available hardware on PC.

Nice. Going to have to DSR the sucker to 5K now. Hopefully Vulkan plays nice with DSR.

I was already running close to 200fps on the 1080, can't imagine this making too much of a difference. Either way I'll give a try, I've been waiting for some solid AAA game to use Vulkan as its the other low level api and I'm curious to see if games running it run better than DX12 games. This being id I'm confident they have competent programmers to really code this well.

Will Vulkan be supported on AMD cards?

Edit: Just saw the article....very good news for us AMD owners.

Now another question: Do they support Crossfire or SLI with Vulkan?

Gawd damn, my framerate in the game (on a GTX970) is already primarily in the 80s, 90s and 100s with OpenGL (1920x1200, all settings maxed out). I guess we'll see where Vulkan takes things. Been waiting for this update to drop. Too bad Carmack couldn't stick around to play with Vulkan.

No fps overlays seem to work with this update, unless the ingame one can be activated.

No fps overlays seem to work with this update, unless the ingame one can be activated.

Steam's overlay should be able to hook Vulkan.

or you can toggle in the ingame one with com_showConsumerPerfMetrics 1-6

Stupid Nvidia dropped Vulkan support for my card. I hope that all games eventually go Vulkan though. There is no reason not too.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Speaking of the overlays...

Am I the only one that can't get the Win+G menu to open past the title screen? Everytime I launch the game it mentions key combos for stuff like recording and a game menu but it doesn't ever work. When I hit Win+G in game, all I notice is that the screen gets darker for a second then goes back to normal.

Back on topic:

I never knew this wasn't supported since day one. I doubt I'll see any difference in performance on a 1070 since I play at 60 fps v-sync and never notice any hiccups.

Last edited:
Sweet, I want to see if this helps at 4k with my r9 390, I can't do everything maxed at 4k and get above 35fps average unless I drop the resolution scale down 20%.

Also can not wait to see xfire results on Vulcan.

So now they have two rendering pipelines that work in Linux. They need to stop fucking around and release it for Linux. The game has already been proven to run flawlessly in Linux in alpha and beta testing.

No tux no bux.

I was already running close to 200fps on the 1080, can't imagine this making too much of a difference.

Either way I'll give a try, I've been waiting for some solid AAA game to use Vulkan as its the other low level api and I'm curious to see if games running it run better than DX12 games. This being id I'm confident they have competent programmers to really code this well.

There's a bigger picture here than just whether Vulkan improves the framerate in this particular game. It's about the first step in ending MS's chokehold on PC gaming. Even if Vulkan performance on early titles is on par with, or within +/- 10% of D3D12, it's still a huge win.

Vulkan = one open API for multiple versions of multiple platforms (Windows 7, 8.1, 10, Linux, SteamOS, Android).
DX12 = one walled API for one version of one platform (Windows 10)

Last edited:
So now they have two rendering pipelines that work in Linux. They need to stop fucking around and release it for Linux. The game has already been proven to run flawlessly in Linux in alpha and beta testing.

No tux no bux.

Get TTimo on the phone!

It's about getting rid of MS's chokehold on the PC gaming platform, where improvements to Direct3D are tied to marketing releases and corporate politics, and artificially restricted to one version of one platform.

That's not the issue, it's market share, plain and simple. If devs make Linux versions how many more units do they sell and is it worth it? The only sure fired way to get more PC games on Linux is to get more Linux users. LOTS more.

That's not the issue, it's market share, plain and simple. If devs make Linux versions how many more units do they sell and is it worth it? The only sure fired way to get more PC games on Linux is to get more Linux users. LOTS more.
It's a chicken and egg scenario: developers don't want to spend resources making games for Linux because the market doesn't justify the expense, while gamers don't want to use Linux due to the lack of support from developers. Something has to be a catalyst to make both groups migrate to Linux at the same time.

It's a chicken and egg scenario: developers don't want to spend resources making games for Linux because the market doesn't justify the expense, while gamers don't want to use Linux due to the lack of support from developers. Something has to be a catalyst to make both groups migrate to Linux at the same time.

The catalyst will be Android, thanks to SPIR-V. Linux will benefit.

And to some extent, AAA developers that are personally passionate about Linux will help.

I don't like Linux in a desktop environment. I haven't touched it in five years or so, however. It was shit then. Using a terminal to update drivers or install programs is ridiculous. It's not/wasn't user friendly.

There's a bigger picture here than just whether Vulkan improves the framerate in this particular game. It's about the first step in ending MS's chokehold on PC gaming. Even if Vulkan performance on early titles is on par with, or within +/- 10% of D3D12, it's still a huge win.

Vulkan = one open API for multiple versions of multiple platforms (Windows 7, 8.1, 10, Linux, SteamOS, Android).
DX12 = one walled API for one version of one platform (Windows 10)
I agree there and it runs fine unlike DX12 games, which have been very unimpressive so far.

The catalyst will be Android, thanks to SPIR-V. Linux will benefit.

And to some extent, AAA developers that are personally passionate about Linux will help.

Until there's Android clients beyond smartphones, tablets and Chromebooks, I don't see how Android helps, at least directly in this space. How many people have like yourself that their PC isn't a phone in reference to Windows 10?

Until there's Android clients beyond smartphones, tablets and Chromebooks, I don't see how Android helps, at least directly in this space. How many people have like yourself that their PC isn't a phone in reference to Windows 10?

What does this thread have to do with Android?

Anywhooo do we have any Doom bench's yet for comparison?

And that raises another question. How many copies of a title get sold ONLY if there's a Linux version? With Windows, Xbox and PS4 clients, what market does desktop Linux have? Beyond the anti-Windows/Microsoft crowd?

Anyone compare performance yet? I see steam downloaded the 156MB patch.

not that I need more performance. at 3440x1440 with everything turned as high as it would go FPS is at like 90.

Edit: nvidia is the same/slightly worse. AMD has a good % increase according to guru3d benchmarks

Last edited:

not that I need more performance. at 3440x1440 with everything turned as high as it would go FPS is at like 90.

This might mean something on slower hardware but this game isn't all that demanding.

What does this thread have to do with Android?

Everything. Vulkan will be the native/defacto Android graphics API beginning with Android N. SPIR-V makes porting trivial (copy-paste). That's a WHOLE lot of incentive for developers to design their multi-platform efforts around Vulkan from the outset.

So in Bethesda's case, the idea of porting and scaling down a version of DOOM and future games for mobile devices going forward becomes orders of magnitude easier.

Again, if you're thinking "I don't care about mobile games" you're missing the point. It's about incentivizing Vulkan development, which benefits everyone - Windows, Linux, Android - because improvements to the API can be delivered as they're ready, rather than being held back by one platform holder's corporate marketing and politics.

Last edited:
Everything. Vulkan will be the native/defacto Android graphics API beginning with Android N. SPIR-V makes porting trivial (copy-paste). That's a WHOLE lot of incentive for developers to design their multi-platform efforts around Vulkan from the outset.

Again, bigger picture here.

Ok, so developers develop Android versions of their AAA PC titles. That doesn't mean a Linux version anymore than a Linux version of Snapchat or Periscope. And where's Android PC type hardware?

Edit: nvidia is the same/slightly worse. AMD has a good % increase according to guru3d benchmarks

I have a 1080 and 6700k, both with a bit of an overclock.

I'll confirm Vulkan is indeed faster in my 30 seconds of testing. Loading up this hell map, I have about 165~ in GL. In Vulkan it's just pegged at the 200 cap.

I have a 1080 and 6700k, both with a bit of an overclock.

I'll confirm Vulkan is indeed faster in my 30 seconds of testing. Loading up this hell map, I have about 165~ in GL. In Vulkan it's just pegged at the 200 cap.

What resolution is that?

What resolution is that?

Low, I haven't gotten to a new monitor yet. It's next on the list.

1680x1050, it's one of the early 120hz LCDs. Every setting as high as it goes in game.

So I'm a pretty good candidate to be CPU limited, which probably inflates my numbers a bit.

I just tested this in the Foundry map and saw a 10 FPS improvement over Open GL. This was a brief test I did while looking at a part of the map that gave me 90fps on OGL vs 102fps using Vulkan.

That is with an i7 6700k (4.5ghz) and using a 1070 (~1850mhz core clock) at 1080p with everything maxed out. Not that I need the performance benefit anyway since I can't stand tearing and I lock it to 60 v-sync but it's nice to know that Vulkan is more efficient.

Last edited:
in the opening area i gained 24 frames per second. COUNT EM, 24. vulkan is a godsend & id did a fantastic job on their patched support.

like this
Yesterday I did a quick run-through of one of my favorite levels, the 10th level, known as "Titan's Realm." The game feels a tad bit faster (game-speed and movement-wise), and even more responsive, than before when it was using OpenGL (especially the mouse aiming). My framerate went up about 20-40+ fps. Now the lowest I see is in the 90s. It mainly stayed between 100-130 fps, and a few rare times it got just past 140 fps. The frametimes also went down by a few ms or so. With VSYNC off, the tearing is much more reduced. It wasn't too bad on OpenGL but now I barely see tearing at all. With VSYNC on, the game still feels more responsive than in OpenGL, but keeping VSYNC on is kinda a waste if you are using Vulkan. I'm also seeing better utilization of both my physical CPU cores and the virtual (HT) cores, more even usage. I got no concrete data on the CPU front, only what I observed in the Task Manager, CPUID HWMonitor, and in-game performance metrics display while I was playing through the level.

The MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner OSD does NOT work with Vulkan at this time. The first two screenshots I took using Steam when running Doom 4 in Vulkan, it only captured blank black screens, so I figured the Steam screenshot feature wasn't working in Vulkan. I took some more screenshots after that though, and they all turned out fine, so I guess it does work. Weird that it didn't work at first.

My brother has a similar system as mine (same mobo and platform, same RAM), except he has the i7-5820K and a GTX960 that a friend is letting him borrow long-term (basically outright gave it to him). He said in OpenGL he was getting around 60 fps with "medium-ish" settings. Switching to Vulkan let him max the game out, and now he's getting 60-80+ fps. He forgot to grab the latest nVidia driver before trying to run Doom 4 in Vulkan the first time (he was several driver versions behind), and he said the game wouldn't run, it would just bring up a console, heh.

For me, the game usually uses in between 2.9GB and 3.5GB of vRAM at 1200p. So I was concerned about my bro's GTX960 and its limited vRAM (he also games at 1200p). I guess under Vulkan it just does not matter. The GPU gives no shits. His performance is excellent.

I had no issues with how the game ran on my system under OpenGL, but Vulkan support is definitely very welcome, and I did notice a performance boost. Vulkan improved the fuck outta my bro's Doom 4 performance though, allowing him to use higher settings while also improving his framerate. When nVidia cards finally get Vulkan Async Compute support, I wonder how that will affect performance.

Now we just need games natively built for Vulkan-only, no legacy APIs. Direct3D 12 needs the same. I would much prefer Vulkan becoming the dominant API, but honestly I expect both to suffer thanks to devs focusing on consoles. And no, I don't believe Xbone having DX12 is really gonna help DX12 on PC (same goes for Vulkan being supported on consoles). As long as UWP doesn't proliferate though, I'm happy. But I digress. I'm glad Vulkan brought us improvements to Doom 4's performance.

EDIT: Forgot to add, yeah with support for both OpenGL and Vulkan now, it really is kinda inexcusable that there is no official Linux version of Doom 4 yet.

like this
Yesterday I did a quick run-through of one of my favorite levels, the 10th level, known as "Titan's Realm." The game feels a tad bit faster (game-speed and movement-wise), and even more responsive, than before when it was using OpenGL (especially the mouse aiming). My framerate went up about 20-40+ fps. Now the lowest I see is in the 90s. It mainly stayed between 100-130 fps, and a few rare times it got just past 140 fps. The frametimes also went down by a few ms or so. With VSYNC off, the tearing is much more reduced. It wasn't too bad on OpenGL but now I barely see tearing at all. With VSYNC on, the game still feels more responsive than in OpenGL, but keeping VSYNC on is kinda a waste if you are using Vulkan. I'm also seeing better utilization of both my physical CPU cores and the virtual (HT) cores, more even usage. I got no concrete data on the CPU front, only what I observed in the Task Manager, CPUID HWMonitor, and in-game performance metrics display while I was playing through the level.

The MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner OSD does NOT work with Vulkan at this time. The first two screenshots I took using Steam when running Doom 4 in Vulkan, it only captured blank black screens, so I figured the Steam screenshot feature wasn't working in Vulkan. I took some more screenshots after that though, and they all turned out fine, so I guess it does work. Weird that it didn't work at first.

My brother has a similar system as mine (same mobo and platform, same RAM), except he has the i7-5820K and a GTX960 that a friend is letting him borrow long-term (basically outright gave it to him). He said in OpenGL he was getting around 60 fps with "medium-ish" settings. Switching to Vulkan let him max the game out, and now he's getting 60-80+ fps. He forgot to grab the latest nVidia driver before trying to run Doom 4 in Vulkan the first time (he was several driver versions behind), and he said the game wouldn't run, it would just bring up a console, heh.

For me, the game usually uses in between 2.9GB and 3.5GB of vRAM at 1200p. So I was concerned about my bro's GTX960 and its limited vRAM (he also games at 1200p). I guess under Vulkan it just does not matter. The GPU gives no shits. His performance is excellent.

I had no issues with how the game ran on my system under OpenGL, but Vulkan support is definitely very welcome, and I did notice a performance boost. Vulkan improved the fuck outta my bro's Doom 4 performance though, allowing him to use higher settings while also improving his framerate. When nVidia cards finally get Vulkan Async Compute support, I wonder how that will affect performance.

Now we just need games natively built for Vulkan-only, no legacy APIs. Direct3D 12 needs the same. I would much prefer Vulkan becoming the dominant API, but honestly I expect both to suffer thanks to devs focusing on consoles. And no, I don't believe Xbone having DX12 is really gonna help DX12 on PC (same goes for Vulkan being supported on consoles). As long as UWP doesn't proliferate though, I'm happy. But I digress. I'm glad Vulkan brought us improvements to Doom 4's performance.

EDIT: Forgot to add, yeah with support for both OpenGL and Vulkan now, it really is kinda inexcusable that there is no official Linux version of Doom 4 yet.

Is that a 2GB or 4GB GTX 960?

I only ask because the initial release notes they warned against 2GB cards on Windows 7. But if they're full of it. I'll give it a go.

Is that a 2GB or 4GB GTX 960?

I only ask because the initial release notes they warned against 2GB cards on Windows 7. But if they're full of it. I'll give it a go.
Nope, I'm a retard, my brother has a 4GB GTX960, I checked with him about it. Heh whoops, dunno why I thought he had a 2GB 960. Well, that explains things, then.

Yeah, Vulkan definitely increases vram usage, and I'm sure DX12 does as well. Guess that's the last time I go cheap on vram :D

But really, I can play the game at 1080p on high at 80fps, so I'm not missing much.

I don't like Linux in a desktop environment. I haven't touched it in five years or so, however. It was shit then. Using a terminal to update drivers or install programs is ridiculous. It's not/wasn't user friendly.
I recently tried Linux Mint (Cinnamon) for the first time... closest distro to Windows look&feel, and just a few clicks to update graphics drivers (nvidia update app was included, no need to venture to website or terminal to download)

I installed it on my dad's old machine, he picked it all up right away, also installed some games (again, using the built-in download app, it's kinda like google play, easier than poop)

Back