DOOM Open Beta Details

If I get Doom, it will only be for single player. WTF were they thinking with achievements, skill points, and especially load outs...seriously wtf. I was hoping I would have something to replace Q3A, guess not.

I really hope the final version allows you to pick up weapons from the ground like the old Quake and Doom series, because this loadout bullshit has no place in Doom, this isn't COD and Halo. Anyway, I'm annoyed to see ID has yet again chosen the console path, though not surprising really because of what happened to Rage, it seems like they have almost abandoned the PC community and ruining the Doom series with this "consolized" crap.

How did anyone expect this would be good? All of id's talent quit after Bethesda bought it, either over that or Rage being released functionally unfinished. This is a cynical attempt to cash in on the Doom IP and that's it. It throws away everything Doom 3 stood for in favour of... Blandness? Nothing? Lack of Content?

If I get Doom, it will only be for single player. WTF were they thinking with achievements, skill points, and especially load outs...seriously wtf. I was hoping I would have something to replace Q3A, guess not.

I saw the loadout crap. That's more like Battlefield or CoD than a true arena type shooter. The latter being what Doom should be.

Played 1 match... level system... stupid monster power thing... dismissed, another ruined game.

At least Doom 3 was actually good.

At least Doom 3 was actually good.

Visually, certainly. The gameplay got stale really fast. The monster in the hidden closet gag stopped working about the second or third time it happened. It also felt slow and clunky compared to most contemporary shooters. The game's lighting never let you see anything and it was all in tight corridors that made no sense. The game wasn't horrendous by any means, but I wouldn't call it "good." The expansion pack to it was more of a Doom game than Doom 3 was.

It's sad to see a level system, loadouts and other CoD/BF bullshit tacked on to what should be a real arena shooter. Oh well, at least I've got the new UT Alpha. It's basically a visually updated version of UT2004. It's how an arena shooter is done right.

Played a few matches last night and my opinion hasn't changed much since the Alpha. The multiplayer is good fun but nothing spectacular. I consider the original Doom my favorite game of all time due to its incredible single player levels, not the multiplayer. I will be getting Doom when it launches to play the single player and don't plan on touching the multiplayer at all after that. On a technical side the game is fine to me. It runs buttery smooth at 1440p on my 980Ti and looks great overall. Only thing that bothers me is that it won't let you increase the frame rate cap but the game still feels smooth at 60fps.

I must admit I don't install the gaming app as its bloat. However, that's the least of their worries. I have had several clean fresh installs where the AMD GPU/chipset driver software just refuses to install. That's really not helpful.

I gave it an honest go and found it underwhelming but others seemed to like it a lot. Slower than UT if just a tad. I will play while the demo is available but will not be purchasing.

the new UT is way more fun than this

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
Division/etc games that all look like they've been passed through a "mute colors" filter

What Division you playing? I think the game is very vibrant! Same with CoD. Now if you wanted to say this about Battlefield I'd agree! ;)

How did anyone expect this would be good? All of id's talent quit after Bethesda bought it, either over that or Rage being released functionally unfinished. This is a cynical attempt to cash in on the Doom IP and that's it. It throws away everything Doom 3 stood for in favour of... Blandness? Nothing? Lack of Content?

Yeah but Doom 3 sucked. It was wayyy too repetitive and tried to be a horror game, something the original Doom was hardly about. The quick movement, blowing the shit out of everything, and taking a beating is what Doom is and was always about. Did you play Doom 1 or 2? Doom 3 was an abomination.

Granted, I'm not fond of this new Doom either but it's at least more along the lines of what I would expect a Doom game to be.

What Division you playing? I think the game is very vibrant! Same with CoD. Now if you wanted to say this about Battlefield I'd agree! ;)
I'm not, but the screenshots all look the same drab type of area. Like all these different games could all be the same game.

[

Well Bethesda has some quality games under their belt and id had been trending down prior to the buy out, so I'm not sure where you are coming from exactly.

I'm still holding out hope for single player, but the way they have gone silent on that aspect isn't promising.

I'm not, but the screenshots all look the same drab type of area. Like all these different games could all be the same game.

So you haven't even played the game you're talking about? Come on now man...The Division is a beautiful game and far from colorless or "brown and gray". Go check it out.

played a few mins on a server. Terrible imput lag with my mouse. FPS was horrible, and not being able to change much in menu sux. Couldn't track enemies due to imput lag. Felt like an old original LCD 60hz monitor and a 1999 laser mouse. Uninstall complete!

Although the DOOM open beta doesn't go live until midnight tonight, you can actually fire up the demo (no servers are running yet though). The first thing that caught our eye was this warning to GeForce owners saying that, on the first launch of the game, the game may stutter badly until you reach the menu. The issue should go away after that but may return if you update your drivers in the future. Also of note, there is no menu for advanced video features. We are not sure why this is, but we thought we would mention it.
Why does the link "doom open beta" take me through a rabbit trail of clicks just to get to the actual content. Why not hyperlink it directly to the source?

played a few mins on a server. Terrible imput lag with my mouse. FPS was horrible, and not being able to change much in menu sux. Couldn't track enemies due to imput lag. Felt like an old original LCD 60hz monitor and a 1999 laser mouse. Uninstall complete!

That's just all part of the Retro experience Bethesda has provided for us! :p

This game is astonishingly boring. You'd think it'd be fun, but it's not.

You feel slow with the jumping height of about a garbage can. I came into it expecting at least some semblance of arena shooter but it just reminds me of playing Halo or something. It's nothing like what I'd think a Doom re-envisioning would be, especially with the gameplay footage.

I installed it and played a few team deathmatch games.

It's... really not that bad, but the loadouts need to go.

Get rid of the persistent leveling system as well. That has no place in a Doom game.

At least there isn't automatic regeneration of health and I applaud that.

Game ran pretty smooth for me, though the Bethesda intro cinematic did take a while to finish. There was a warning about that at the beginning though...

My PC has an FX-8150 (I know, I know...), GeForce GTX 960 (4 GB VRAM), 32 GB RAM, Windows 10. The frame rate rarely dropped below 60.

I played about 80 minutes of team deathmatch earlier. I enjoyed it overall. The pace is slower than I had hoped for and I don't care about customizing my Marine's attire. I wished weapons would be able to be picked up rather than loadouts but I can live with it. Lack of a server browser was bullshit as well. Overall I thought it was decent. I doubt i'll buy it though unless they come out with a DRM free Linux version.

I feel like the worst design decision was the horribad melee system that can instagib you from 4m away and shows completely different animations when YOU do it compared to what you see when others do it?? Supposedly it only works if you have "low health" but like 70% is low? I've racked up 3 hours now on Steam and I haven't see a single melee attack NOT kill instantly.

Here's my experience with it:

Joining a session is no longer as easy as browsing matches. No, you have to rely on their crap system.

If you've ever played Quake, you'll notice the mouse movement is shit and there's nothing to adjust besides speed. Terrible mouse lag and acceleration you can't do anything about.

Second thing, and that's the worst imo, is that this game is Doom and an id creation only on paper. It's nothing like Doom, and nothing an id multiplayer game. There is NO STRAFE JUMPING, not even bunny hopping. There's nothing to movement.

I expected more of id but I guess the Bethesda people have won. At least they haven't got my money.

I just tried the beta and it's unreal tournament reskinned which is completely boring to me. I was hoping for halo style. Pass for me.

I feel like the worst design decision was the horribad melee system that can instagib you from 4m away and shows completely different animations when YOU do it compared to what you see when others do it?? Supposedly it only works if you have "low health" but like 70% is low? I've racked up 3 hours now on Steam and I haven't see a single melee attack NOT kill instantly.

Speaking as someone who racked up many kills from the melee attack I can say that it is a pretty cheap move. I used it because I have no shame and it works. However I will say that it does take up to 3 melee hits to kill an enemy depending on what their health is when you start hitting them. I found it rare to get a melee kill from 1 hit but that being said you can melee fast enough that you can get your 3 hits in about 3-5 seconds.

screenshot-www pcgameshardware de 2016-04-16 18-38-54.png

Re melee... Yeah its like they teleport to you from 15-20 ft away! Wtf! And rocket vs shotgun, rocket always loses?

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
Those of you who like arena should really try the new UT

I had to drop the res from 4k down to 1080p to get it smooth enough to actally kill people. I'm running dual 970's. What the hell is with my hitting people with like 4 rockets before they die. Or like 4 shoot gun blats. Guess I just miss the old times when you hit some one with a rocket dead center they died lol.

That's just all part of the Retro experience Bethesda has provided for us! :p

I've been playing this off and on this morning. There is little about the experience that's retro. The announcer sounds like he's ready for a dick in the ass, the game is full of bullshit CoD type perks, Battlefield style loadouts, and a level system. The gameplay occasionally suffers from "I emptied my weapon into the other guy and he came up and melee killed me." If you wanted a traditional arena experience, this game isn't it. It feels like Call of Duty with a Doom skin on it at best. On a positive note the game ran really well for me at 4K. 60FPS was easily obtainable and the game felt smooth. I didn't notice any input lag. The menu system is laid out well enough and I had no other issues with the interface other than where it emulated Battlefield games.

I'll probably still pick it up for the single player, but as a multiplayer game I can't see this holding my interest for very long. Maybe I'm too old or something but I prefer games like the upcoming Unreal Tournament which have none of the modern gameplay mechanics. You just go in and pick up the weapons as you go and kill each other. There are no loadouts, no perks, no bullshit. Just virtual blood sport in it's purist form.

I've been playing this off and on this morning. There is little about the experience that's retro. The announcer sounds like he's ready for a dick in the ass, the game is full of bullshit CoD type perks, Battlefield style loadouts, and a level system. The gameplay occasionally suffers from "I emptied my weapon into the other guy and he came up and melee killed me." If you wanted a traditional arena experience, this game isn't it. It feels like Call of Duty with a Doom skin on it at best. On a positive note the game ran really well for me at 4K. 60FPS was easily obtainable and the game felt smooth. I didn't notice any input lag. The menu system is laid out well enough and I had no other issues with the interface other than where it emulated Battlefield games.

I'll probably still pick it up for the single player, but as a multiplayer game I can't see this holding my interest for very long. Maybe I'm too old or something but I prefer games like the upcoming Unreal Tournament which have none of the modern gameplay mechanics. You just go in and pick up the weapons as you go and kill each other. There are no loadouts, no perks, no bullshit. Just virtual blood sport in it's purist form.

I was being sarcastic.

I had a chance to download and play it last night for around two hours. MP is OK. I was expecting to hate it from all the comments I have heard about it. But after a few hours I felt that it was decently fun. I do like the customization of the character skins. The game play itself was fluid, I like the double jump option & the ability to climb things, although I would have like to see the double tap option sidestep implemented. The slow motion melee kills actually made me smile the first time I did one, & I was able to pull of a triple melee kill while being surrounded by players, which impressed me.

Game environment was good, although it looks a bit too clean. Blood dripping from walls , pools of blood, skulls, hellfire, and even dare I say a glowing Pentagram was spotted *:jawdrop:*. Props to Bethesda for giving us an actual Pentagram in a Hell setting unlike some developer *Cough, Blizzard..*

Overall, I had fun with it. Its not the second coming or anything you haven't played before if you have been playing Arena Shooters for awhile & the game is by no means Revolutionary. It did remind me of playing Q3 Arena very much. I'm still on the fence about having to spend 60 dollars on it. I hope they had some good idea's for the single player that will justify spending that amount of money on it. Otherwise for a multiplayer arena shooter, you're better off playing UT.

Bottom line, for MP I give it a 6.5 out of 10.

Last edited:
I played about two hours. It was smooth for me never had hitching or other movement issues. Would have to fix my mouse setup if I wanted to play more and for some reason hitting 1 or 2 didn't change weapons. Since you can only load out 2 weapons why that doesn't work I dunno. I did find that I really don't have the big taste for a FPS multiplayer anymore. One I am nearing 40 not 20 now and I don't get as worked up on these things as I did in high school/college. Second the leveling thing is just not right for a DOOM game but it doesn't really detract from the game outside of them restricting some weapons. The weapons did feel a bit underpowered as well. The lightning gun and rocket launcher just didn't seem to have that punch I was expecting.

Back