Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

If there is not a body, demon or something hiding underneath those stairs with a shorted out light that is faded and flickering it just wont feel right. :D

Outstanding job on this project.

Alex41290 said:
73 pages, mister...way to read :rolleyes:

jkjk :p

If you're talking about how many pages long THIS thread is, we're only at 37 according to me. Some ppl have their "posts per page" set quite low in their control panel.....or did you mean something ELSE? :p

cornelious0_0 said:
If you're talking about how many pages long THIS thread is, we're only at 37 according to me. Some ppl have their "posts per page" set quite low in their control panel.....or did you mean something ELSE? :p

yup, i had mine set to "Forum Default" which was LOW...so i changed it, and now...VOILA! 37 pages.

We're back!! Yay!...Not that i have much to offer as far as updates at the moment..but I will before the end of the week--for sure

CrimsonSky said:
We're back!! Yay!...Not that i have much to offer as far as updates at the moment..but I will before the end of the week--for sure

Excellent!!!, looking forward some new updates.............BTW, what happened to the modcam.net?.......nobody is using it lately. :confused:

My Santa-wife gave this naughty boy an awesome Doom3 ZBoard--Very cool keyboard to go with my project here...I can't wait to try it out ;)

My very best holiday wishes to every member and visitor here on [H]. Have fun, be safe and love one another. Cheers!

zboard_3.jpg

zboard_2.jpg

zboard_1.jpg

Got the same keyboard and keyset from Santa, as well. Immediately thought of this mod.

Hmm.....

Keith

Man i feel retarded for doing this, but crimsonsky we neeeed you :D

Kudos for doing good enough work, that you've got me tricked into checking these threads twice a day :D

Looking forward to more goodness.

Damn Crim, haven't checked up on this in a while. It's really coming along nicely.
Can't wait to see the final, fully lit product!

I think this deserves a *bump* and a "so whats new with the case development?" question.

All that aside, I think it is absolutely GREAT about the models/detail you can create with that plastic. To think that all that was just one plain sheet. I can not wait for you to finish your movie!

i wanna see some more hellacious D3 action on this mod!

ps. i think you should incorporate what mashie did with the milliput into this, but do something different with it. its always good to try something new :D

I'm still alive! :D

I've been busting my ass developing a new video series called The Modder's Workshop. This will be a free web broadcast of case modding tutorials and how to's, 30 minutes long with a new show every month. Crammed with info for beginners and experts, this show will also feature guest modders from around the world, names we all know and respect. The first video will be a special on my Doom3 case, and working with styrene plastic.

I'm developing and hosting the first show entirely by myself. Editing, music, titles, graphics and the how-to sections. I will be moving production of The Modder's Workshop to a brand new studio facility this spring, so expect it to only improve from there. The first episode will be available in about 10 days. hang on!

CrimsonSky said:

I've been busting my ass developing a new video series called The Modder's Workshop. This will be a free web broadcast of case modding tutorials and how to's, 30 minutes long with a new show every month. Crammed with info for beginners and experts, this show will also feature guest modders from around the world, names we all know and respect. The first video will be a special on my Doom3 case, and working with styrene plastic.

I'm developing and hosting the first show entirely by myself. Editing, music, titles, graphics and the how-to sections. I will be moving production of The Modder's Workshop to a brand new studio facility this spring, so expect it to only improve from there. The first episode will be available in about 10 days. hang on!

Wow.....I'm actually glad to hear that you've been busy with something else OTHER then the case lately....as that's really cool to hear.

I'll be looking forward to it for sure.

cornelious0_0 said:
Wow.....I'm actually glad to hear that you've been busy with something else OTHER then the case lately....as that's really cool to hear.

I'll be looking forward to it for sure.
As well am I, good luck with it. I know come hell (heh heh) or high water I'll tune in. :)

This shows definitely sounds sweet - keep us updated! Though maybe it would be a good idea to make a separate thread about it in the general Case Modding Forum so that everyone would know about the show, not just those who are following the Doom 3 case thread.

Very exciting! :D

The webcam is up tonight if anyone is interested in watching some airbrushing action--not the most exciting, but I will post pics as I go along :D

ModCam.net

CrimsonSky said:
The webcam is up tonight if anyone is interested in watching some airbrushing action--not the most exciting, but I will post pics as I go along :D

ModCam.net

Slick man, I've never caught the cam online.......

I seeeeee you. :p

man this crimson sky guy should improve posture while sitting at his little green chair :D

Crimson has put on his webcam that he is posting pics. I can't wait to see them!!

Crimson, where are you located? I'm in Ohio and its 9:37, just trying to get a sense of time where your building.

Took a break from video production tonigfht and started painting the platform. First a heavy coat of flat black was airbrushed on to fill in all the deep nooks and crannies. next I started adding some layered texture outlines beginning with dark burnt umber. Then came a gunmetal color followed by dark brown. Highlights were then added with a color called "jet exhaust" (for military models obviously) and after that some rust was sprayed on. A well tuned and maintained airbrush is important for this kind of work...so keep those tools clean! :D

All these colors form a base coat that becomes very subtle when the hand painting and color washing begins. It all adds to the depth of scale and color that is needed with mostly metalic architecture. I'll be sure to show the progression of hand painting very soon.

Platform painting 1

Platform painting 1

Platform painting 1

CrimsonSky said:
Took a break from video production tonigfht and started painting the platform. First a heavy coat of flat black was airbrushed on to fill in all the deep nooks and crannies. next I started adding some layered texture outlines beginning with dark burnt umber. Then came a gunmetal color followed by dark brown. Highlights were then added with a color called "jet exhaust" (for military models obviously) and after that some rust was sprayed on. A well tuned and maintained airbrush is important for this kind of work...so keep those tools clean! :D

All these colors form a base coat that becomes very subtle when the hand painting and color washing begins. It all adds to the depth of scale and color that is needed with mostly metalic architecture. I'll be sure to show the progression of hand painting very soon.

Platform painting 1

Platform painting 1

Platform painting 1

A truely nice start bro....looking forward to seeing the rest. I saw MOST of the work on the cam, but had to ditch part way through. :(

Dru22 said:
Crimson has put on his webcam that he is posting pics. I can't wait to see them!!

Crimson, where are you located? I'm in Ohio and its 9:37, just trying to get a sense of time where your building.

City of Brooklyn, NY :D

Would there be rust on Mars? Is there enough oxygen/water to do it?

Anyway, the detail looks amazing!

Keith

CrimsonSky said:

hell yeah Crim. ill be tuning in to this for sure.

mashie said:
Maybe the stuff was stored indoors in the pressurized stations before it was brought out, by then it had already started to rust :D

Here is an interesting link about how rust could form on mars, for all those who are interested. Pretty interesting stuff, if your're a nerd :)

dropper said:
Would there be rust on Mars? Is there enough oxygen/water to do it?

Anyway, the detail looks amazing!

Keith

Ummm..yes the entire planet is rusty--the reason it appears red. The soil is extremley rich in iron oxide. There are several theories on how the iron was rusted to the state we see it in now.

CrimsonSky said:
Ummm..yes the entire planet is rusty--the reason it appears red. The soil is extremley rich in iron oxide. There are several theories on how the iron was rusted to the state we see it in now.
I think he was talking about (new) metal structures which are placed outside, exposed to Mars' atmosphere.

There is oxygen in Mars' atmosphere, but only in small amounts, so while some oxidation will definitely take place, it'll take a long time before you get to see results.

Elledan said:
I think he was talking about (new) metal structures which are placed outside, exposed to Mars' atmosphere.

There is oxygen in Mars' atmosphere, but only in small amounts, so while some oxidation will definitely take place, it'll take a long time before you get to see results.

The rusty particles on the exterior of my Mars City structures was blown there by dust storms. That's how i see it.

If you want to get really technical, rust can form not only from oxygen in the atmosphere, but by chemical reactions from minerals in Martian soil.

Back