Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

ur not going to move... period...

STOP THINKING NEGATIVE!

but we should find a lan somewhere... mmm...

UT-Jackal said:
Looks like ill have to go to quakecon this year :D I hate living in texas, but quakecon is a plus :cool:

Just a quick, absent-minded question.....but is QuakeCon always in Texas? I really wanted to go this year but I live "up north" in Canada, and being 19, Texas might be a bit to long of a trip.

I'd still really love to see this thing in person though. :D

cornelious0_0 said:
Just a quick, absent-minded question.....but is QuakeCon always in Texas? I really wanted to go this year but I live "up north" in Canada, and being 19, Texas might be a bit to long of a trip.

I'd still really love to see this thing in person though. :D
You could stop by in Colorado and we can get a drink. :D I'm really going to have to try and make it out to a QuakeCon at some point too.

Heh, yeah other than quakcon and UT (university of texas austin) there is nothing in texas.... :D id much rather live in canada

CrimandEvil said:
You could stop by in Colorado and we can get a drink. :D I'm really going to have to try and make it out to a QuakeCon at some point too.

Well that would be a bit closer, but I wouldn't be the one driving, so I dunno if it'd work out. I REALLY wanna go though.....

mashie said:
Bah, you are only a 2h flight from Dallas, me on the other hand will have to fly a good 10h to get there (which I will).

Well the reason I'm not to "up" on making it to TX is because we were planning on driving. :p

I dunno how keen I am on taking my computer on the plane though either and having it stowed away somewhere without any care taken. :(

Yeah, I've got to take my camera on planes and they manhandle the crud out of those bags...I want to put a shock sensor and some weights in my bag just to see how much damage they're doing...

Lothar the Lotharian said:
Yeah, I've got to take my camera on planes and they manhandle the crud out of those bags...I want to put a shock sensor and some weights in my bag just to see how much damage they're doing...

Yeah, and I mean, I'm really not too keen on taking my $3000 rig on the plane if that kind of $hit is gonna go down.....but I don't know how much different it'd be to drive either. :(

How do you think I feel? My camera's worth 12G! Have to say, the Porta Brace bag I've got it in keeps it pretty well protected. Ok, I'm getting off topic, so I'm going to sum up...you could always ship your machine to the hotel (insurance and all that jazz) instead of toting it...I've seen it done before with luggage, and I've done it for larger equipment when going to shows. Mashie, I'd love to meet you @ QC if you get the time, along with all you other [H]'ers.

Anyone know of a reliable online shopping source for UltraBright (5000mcd or better) LED's??..The last place I ordered from has a 10 year old doing customer service--and didnt notify me that all the stuff I purchased was on back order indefinetly. Yeesh. Thanks for the help.

Do they really have to be THAT bright? Maybe somewhat less bright LEDs will statisfy you? Lsdiodes is a good place; then there's superbrightleds.com

With the upcoming holiday and all I' thought I'd squeeze an update in before I get busy with family. i wish all of you (who celebrate) a happy and safe holiday!!! /gobble_gobble :D

In the first pics you'll see the recessed light fixture I made for the airlock crown piece. This will be an 'always on' light even when the comp is powered down. It's basically a housing, frosted acrylic lens and the LED sockets:

Pic_1

Pic-2

Did some airbrushing as well--the front and all the details are really starting to blend together nicely--this should give a good idea of the patina that the entire case will have:

Pic_3

Pic_4

Pic_5

Pic_6

Pic_7

One of the pics in the picture thread wasn't working for me. Other than that, it's going great.

those are... how do you say...

FU@KING SWEET!

can't *twitch* wait... for final *twitch* piece....

*drool*

Crim, I must say, this is so awesome. Every time I look at the progress on this thing I am in awe. Amazing painting skills.

I do have an idea for your LED light that's on there though. When I saw you had two LEDs in there, something clicked...why not make one red one be on when the computer is off (kind of like, 'stop, no entry, not ready') and make the other LED green and have it turn on and red off when the computer starts (like 'safe to enter'). Just a thought.

I love your work; you're really inspiring me to do a lot more modding.

siege said:
Crim, I must say, this is so awesome. Every time I look at the progress on this thing I am in awe. Amazing painting skills.

I do have an idea for your LED light that's on there though. When I saw you had two LEDs in there, something clicked...why not make one red one be on when the computer is off (kind of like, 'stop, no entry, not ready') and make the other LED green and have it turn on and red off when the computer starts (like 'safe to enter'). Just a thought.

I love your work; you're really inspiring me to do a lot more modding.

Hey thanks all--That's a great idea Siege, one I did think of even--I just have to figure out a way to get the red to switch off when the sys powers up and come back on when the comp is turned off. Any ideas?

wire a NOT gate chip to it...

bringing up radio shack catalog...

::later:: sunova... they don't have 'em... getting goooooooooooogle...

::later again:: gawd how can anyone use that dang thing anymore, what with 10 million hits no matter what you type?! </rant> 4069 hex inverter is the chip you want.

damn mashie..you make it sound so.....easy ;) looking good crim and I just love your attention to detail!

Yeah - CrimsonSky definitely has A.D.D. - Attention to Detail Disorder!

I've been watching this project from the get-go but haven't commented until now - no words can sum up how awesome this is turning out, and how amazing your manufacturing skills are, CS. I'm in awe :)

As 10.000 other people, I'm anxiously awaiting the next update - always quality :p

Never been much of a band-wagon jumper, but I have to post and tell you how impressed I am by the work you have done. Not just the quantity, which was amazing in itself, but by the outstanding quality of the work.

You have a lot of talent and there should be some way to translate this into major dollars for you in the film industry!

[nCn]Preacher said:
Never been much of a band-wagon jumper, but I have to post and tell you how impressed I am by the work you have done. Not just the quantity, which was amazing in itself, but by the outstanding quality of the work.

You have a lot of talent and there should be some way to translate this into major dollars for you in the film industry!

I too would like to wish Crimson luck in whatever path he takes after the completion of this mod...as there is surely talents and skills that are being displayed quite nicely through his work.

Excellent job bro.....keep at 'er. :D

CrimsonSky said:
Hey thanks all--That's a great idea Siege, one I did think of even--I just have to figure out a way to get the red to switch off when the sys powers up and come back on when the comp is turned off. Any ideas?

uh, yeah, what mashie said would've been my suggestion...woulda made it sooner but haven't been able to get on the forums since the 23rd...

He said it would be a Pentium4EE, because he's getting it for free a while back. I, myself suggested AthlonFX as well..

iddqd said:
He said it would be a Pentium4EE, because he's getting it for free a while back. I, myself suggested AthlonFX as well..

Well yeah, even if I WAS a hardcore gamer.....if I had the choice between a free P4EE and an A64 FX for over a grand.....guess which one I'd take. :rolleyes: :p

iddqd said:

Wow..you'll have to quote me on this rumor--I never decided which platform to go with on this project--and never mentioned a free processor from either manufacturer. :D

use: -
fx-55
sli 6800gt overclocked to ultra (ultra = impossible to find)
as previoulsy said danger den water cooling
2gb of corsair xl ram
ocz powerstream 600w
dell 2001fp (doom modded...?)
two western digital raptors (not raided, because in no server environment it does nothing)
plextor px-716a
that should just about do it (this is what i am having when i have saved up enough, cept watercooling)
also, is it possible to mod a tft screen?

freddiepm61 said:
ocz powerstream 600w
two western digital raptors (not raided, because in no server environment it does nothing)
some changes i'd make:
1st - PCP&C over the OCZ.
2nd - Sony 23" 16ms LCD or Viewsonic 19" 12ms LCD. Bigger or faster... i'd go with the sony personally.
3rd - raptors? i believe that with SATA-II and NCQ seagate's drives are faster than raptors... agreed with the (lack of) raid, though, unless you used 3 (or 4) in a raid5 on a hardware (true hardware, NOT HIGHPOINT! - 3ware or the like) card.

the case is looking really really awesome at this point. can't wait to see it completed.

well, i could, i just don't want to;)

rogue_jedi said:
some changes i'd make:
1st - PCP&C over the OCZ.
2nd - Sony 23" 16ms LCD or Viewsonic 19" 12ms LCD. Bigger or faster... i'd go with the sony personally.
3rd - raptors? i believe that with SATA-II and NCQ seagate's drives are faster than raptors... agreed with the (lack of) raid, though, unless you used 3 (or 4) in a raid5 on a hardware (true hardware, NOT HIGHPOINT! - 3ware or the like) card.

the case is looking really really awesome at this point. can't wait to see it completed.

well, i could, i just don't want to;)
OCZ powerstream 600 > PCP&C 512D
freddiepm61 said:
fx-55
sli 6800gt overclocked to ultra (ultra = impossible to find)
as previoulsy said danger den water cooling
2gb of corsair xl ram
ocz powerstream 600w
plextor px-716a
that should just about do it (this is what i am having when i have saved up enough, cept watercooling)
also, is it possible to mod a tft screen?
Danger Den can suck my balls. Their waterblocks suck. There are many other that perform better, and are cheaper. Swiftech MCW6002 for example.
Wht not raid on raptors? It can't hurt to have better read performance. Besides, I think he was already using some other hard drives for this rig...

Imo, overkill... but we won't see them for a while, anyway. (They would be useful for some (but not all) servers)

don't get a 23" lcd, because he will have to run it at the max resolution (1920x?) or it will look shit. it is too hard to run.
dell 2001fp is damn good. 1600x1200@16ms
also, ocz 600w powerstream is thought to be the best out there for cheaper than the pcp&c. 600watt sustained, 750watt max.
damn good bit of kit, and far quiter than the pcp&c. this is 24db at load.
f

Back