Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

DRJ1014 said:
one question im sure its nothing but how is the fan in front going to get air flow? are you going to open the door thingy when its on?
Ahem....
CrimsonSky first page said:
Mashie had a great idea for my airlock door, and kicked it up a notch with a challenge to make it servo operated. When the system powers up, the airlock opens just like in the game (complete with sound effects) to reveal the radiator and allow air inside the case
I won't demean you further :D

DRJ1014 said:
one question im sure its nothing but how is the fan in front going to get air flow? are you going to open the door thingy when its on?

I woudl assume so, and then the airlock can simply be closed up when the comp is sut down.

Dude, I just thought of something.....would you be able to rig it up so that the door opens WHEN the comp starts up.....and closes when it shuts down? THAT would be killer!!! :D

mashie said:
Yes it will use the same techique as I used in the Y2k-bug for the wings. Same circuit actually.

NICE!!!

Now I REALLY want to see it.....see if you can record a crude quality little video for us and serve it up when you're done....I'd like to see it in action.

Oh and BTW.....the bug rocked. :D :cool:

Somebody has wayyyyyyyy too much time on his hands.

But uhm, that case is looking pretty sweet. :)

chrisfnet said:

its summer...... no school......... work he probably does it after.. hell i have way to much time on my hands (internet school) and i dont do anything like that....... the time is weighting me down.

chrisfnet said:

If someone has the time and money to do something like this then I saw all the power too 'em. I see people spending just as much, if not FAR more time tuning up and "fiddling" with cars and things as a hobby, so for how fast Crimson has been progressing with this project I'm actually very impressed, it wouldnt actually be eating up THAT much time when you think about it.

A title would be nice but it's just as rewarding to earn it by posting in the threads--I havent done much posting this year due to time concerns--but I do read a LOT of them and appreciate the helpful stuff i find here.

That is one very very impressive piece of work. Are you using molds (sculpted by you of course) to recreate the panels... or should have I reread the thread again... I am a little dumbfounded by your work forgive me. :eek:

Please tell me you are a pro model builder, if not, get to it!

Very nice, can't wait to see that thing in action.

-Ed

The[H]uman said:
I think Kyle needs to bestow a [H]ard Custom title for you like omg i can't even think of a title for you that is worthy of this case mod.

[H]ard|Doom3 Modder just isn't [H]ard Enough

I think [H]ard Modder or the [H]ard Modder would suffice.

I'm fuckin speechless.
eek.gif
Amazing work bud.

I give you credit for that creativity and PATIENCE, hell I lose my temper putting a couple of fans in my pc, ffs. :rolleyes:

interior lighting suggestions?

well so far your exterior is all technological, nothing from hell... sooooo i'd suggest infernal-themed lighting.

it'd be neat if you could reproduce one of the pentagram-like symbols that appear every so often in the game to spawn some demons... cut out the lines, and put an orangish light behind it, and between the light source and the "stenciled-out" pentagram, a rotating filter of sorts, so that the orange glow coming through the cutout pentagram is not constant, but has a marble feel... i dunno how else to describe it.

maybe there's another way to get this effect, but this is the oldskool method.

If you do interior lighting are you going to do like flashing lights and such? Like how it actually is in doom, where some lights work, but other don't. Anyway, YOU ARE ONE GREAT CASE MODDER! I think that pwns the crap out of any doom3 case i've seen. Keep up the good work, and keep the money flowin'! ;)

As far as any of that, all I can really recommend is that you go with some kind of hellish/bloody "setup" for the interior.....just like the insides of the base/city itself on mars in the game. It woudl be very fitting, but the little touches and things of that nature seem/sound like they might end up being far more articulate on the INside. Should be nice.

c44u said:
interior lighting suggestions?

well so far your exterior is all technological, nothing from hell... sooooo i'd suggest infernal-themed lighting.

it'd be neat if you could reproduce one of the pentagram-like symbols that appear every so often in the game to spawn some demons... cut out the lines, and put an orangish light behind it, and between the light source and the "stenciled-out" pentagram, a rotating filter of sorts, so that the orange glow coming through the cutout pentagram is not constant, but has a marble feel... i dunno how else to describe it.

maybe there's another way to get this effect, but this is the oldskool method.

Thats a VERY cool idea actually---the pentagram ...as I get to that part of the project (the inside) we can bang out some more ideas on it...take a vote or sumthin

CrimsonSky said:
Thats a VERY cool idea actually---the pentagram ...as I get to that part of the project (the inside) we can bang out some more ideas on it...take a vote or sumthin

I'll throw in a vote for that for sure. ;) :cool:

This is something else... as to the lighting you should have two states: one dark with uv lighting only, and one that lights everything up so you can see everything in detail. I'd suggest using uv paint if you good at airbrushing because you could have eire glowing symbols, and replace all your fan grills with colored acrylic, so when your fans glow they make the acrylic stand out (that may not make sense unless you've seen it before). I did have a funny idea where to put a mini demon put a false ceiling in the top of the case to hide the wires and have it be able to open like the walls the monsters break though, it may only scare the crap out of people once but that's probly worth the effort :D
oh I think I had a user name i just can't remember it...

drakken said:
I did have a funny idea where to put a mini demon put a false ceiling in the top of the case to hide the wires and have it be able to open like the walls the monsters break though, it may only scare the crap out of people once but that's probly worth the effort :D

No kidding it would be, I'd love to see that at least once. :p

Maybe try to use UV paint to paint the traces and some mobo components, or just have UV "blood" running down the board to look like some of the walls where zombies splashed against them.

drakken said:
This is something else... as to the lighting you should have two states: one dark with uv lighting only, and one that lights everything up so you can see everything in detail. I'd suggest using uv paint if you good at airbrushing because you could have eire glowing symbols, and replace all your fan grills with colored acrylic, so when your fans glow they make the acrylic stand out (that may not make sense unless you've seen it before). I did have a funny idea where to put a mini demon put a false ceiling in the top of the case to hide the wires and have it be able to open like the walls the monsters break though, it may only scare the crap out of people once but that's probly worth the effort :D
oh I think I had a user name i just can't remember it...

I was just thinking along the same lines as you drakken. The case could probobly still have some infernal red type lighting and some UV going at the same time. The paint would still flouresce, but I don't know about the color. Can you get a decent red flouescent paint that glows but doesn't look too garish for the purpose?

Thought about something else that would be neat, although horribly not to scale. How about making a new shell for a webcam that looks like one of the UAC sentry bots.

Ok, I have a suggestion, may be over the top, but somewhere through the window have a little motorized model like pumping or something, like in the game, I think that would be icing on the cake.

kokido [lusagi] said:
Thought about something else that would be neat, although horribly not to scale. How about making a new shell for a webcam that looks like one of the UAC sentry bots.

That'd be cool if you could get it to move too.....

OH MY GOD, GREAT IDEA.....build a working or non-working sentry bot using a real webcam and have the sentry sitting next to the case and USE it as a webcam........PERFECT MATCH. :D

Spectacular...

Thread bookmarked :)

I don't know if anybody suggested it yet, but if you add water cooling or other parts coming from the base of the case up to the case it could be disguised as "The Growth" aka flesh blob stuff that runs through the base in DOOM 3.

man i just finished a game and now this thread has expanded one more page....

SnakeIRye said:
Spectacular...

Thread bookmarked :)

I don't know if anybody suggested it yet, but if you add water cooling or other parts coming from the base of the case up to the case it could be disguised as "The Growth" aka flesh blob stuff that runs through the base in DOOM 3.

That'd also be kinda cool, and/or the tubing could glow kinda red like those tubes he had a pic of on the first page.

CrimsonSky said:
. I purchased a "Do-it-yourself inkjet" decal making system for the lettering on the opposite door, should arrive next week. What it does is create on your printer clear and very thin decals, the same that comes with model cars and other kits. Hopefully it will be a quality product--keep you posted.

I purchased one from MicroMark a while back and it works great.

Oh, and you have skills that I only dream about. Nice work.

CrimsonSky said:
Since Mashie and I are both working on Doom3 inspired cases, we set up a Live ModCam so anyone interested can see the projects as they progress. Live ModCam

Ahhh!! COOL! Mashie started working on his a few seconds after I loaded up the page. :D

First of all, I joined this forum solely to praise your work on this mod. Great work so far.

SnakeIRye said:

This is what I was vibing too. Remember that room towards the beginning where you walk in and a guy is stretched out on the ceiling, he screams, two monsters pop out and attack you? I think having a guy tagged to the roof of the case would be great.

Maybe on the bottom of the case you can use the pentagram symbols that have been suggested but you can take it slightly further by adding candles. In a couple rooms (in Doom 3) you walk in and there are candles being used and you could replicate this in the case by using those model train lights (I think they're for mini X-mas trees or something).

I saw what I think is called a hip gear unit for the PS2 for $40 a couple days ago at an EB Games. It's a controller/LCD thing. In any event, that's a nice small screen. There are a ton of uses for that thing but you could loop video clips on it. Example, you walk next to hanging monitor (in the game) and it tells you all about Mars City or some piece of technology... whatever. It'd be a little big scale-wise if you compare it to the size of the your airlock but I think it'd work. You'd need a video card that has video out though.

Hope my suggestions help. Good luck!

Firstly - mad kudos you my friend. excellent mod so far!

Is there any way you could reproduce the 'possessed' room feel for the internal lighting? Like the pentagram idea, but continuing it on all over the inside?

simply amazing work. This is true case modding, awesome synthesis of form and function.
The "blood" on the mobo, pentagram, and webcam ideas are really great.

I can't wait to see more pics, very nice, good luck!

c44u said:

Like a phantasmagoria?

*** Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) ***
Phantasmagoria \Phan*tas`ma*go"ri*a\, n. [NL., from Gr. ? a
phantasm + ? an assembly, fr. ? to gather: cf. F.
phantasmagorie.]
1. An optical effect produced by a magic lantern. The figures
are painted in transparent colors, and all the rest of the
glass is opaque black. The screen is between the
spectators and the instrument, and the figures are often
made to appear as in motion, or to merge into one another.

That'd be cool, but I'm liking the sounds of the UV lighting with the 'blood' running down the mobo. >_>

About that lighting sugestion.... how about you make the inside of the case almos pitch black, with just one directional LED shinning on the mobo, like a flashlight.....?

Mabey some pain on the LED so its not so bright, and kinds faded in the center....

going off what someone eles said... have some of then glowing orange sings on the ground in the game there with orange UV paint... you know lie when a deman spawns....

Back