Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

JAW HITTING FLOOR.

Wow... just wow.. I can't wait to see the completed work.

And suggestion for the interior... I like the idea of what looks like a crappy flashlight. But have it panning around. Then have a model monster in the corner with glowing eyes that it pans to.. at that moment have the monster sound play and the screaming sound whenever you get the berzerk from the game play at the same time. Only while in demo mode mind you.

CrimsonSky said:
Thats a VERY cool idea actually---the pentagram ...as I get to that part of the project (the inside) we can bang out some more ideas on it...take a vote or sumthin

Excellent work, Crimson and Mashie, and make sure you place the shortest candles in front progressing to the tallest in back around the pentagram if you'll be doing any summonings LOL ;)

-Kiba

PS-RagE said:
As for your lighting, I've seen what looks like teeney little spot lights used in aquariums. Although I couldn't find exactly what I had seen before, I did find this: http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=9144 Might be cool for your interior of the air lock

Very cool project Crimson.

<edit>this is kinda what I'd thought of: http://www.petco.com/product_info.a...winglifestyle.com/us/article/s0/a1167431.html </edit>

It would probably be easier for him to just use some more model train parts with LEDs. But that is a pretty slick thought, though.... hmm

Im jealous, wish I messed with plastic and model stuff enough to construct stuff like this. =).

wow... just... wow...
i cant even come up with a coherent sentance describing the wowness of your mod...

Some great ideas flowing in this thread. I really like the UAC sentry bot idea. Also, I was thinking the blood streaks idea too. I am also wondering if maybe you could incorporate a full array of indevidual lighting effects. Have it to where you can select different schemes. 1 could be all red like in the game when everything suddenly goes red, another could be the flashlight thing, yet another scheme could be regular lighting. Maybe you could find some shorter CCFLs and make a hanging celing light like you see around Marine HQ.
Also, another thought...
I bet it won't be long until Doom3 action figures start showing up, that could make some neat decorations to your case. Also, if you've ever seen the Lionol (sp?) train sets that puff smoke, maybe you could do a broken steam line with something like that.
Man, I wish I had the resources and time to start a serious modding project.

Extremely well done mate! I cant wait to see the finished work. Absolutely incredible! A true arTEEEST.

Cheers.

a bloody tear just shed from my eye, either that or i had a bloody nose and forced it out of my tear duct, either way that tear was for the RIP of all other d3 case mods out there. You sure have cast-iron balz to take on this task. I sure hope that the end product will as good as what I'm seeing now. For certain, if you can pull this off, you can expect a seat of honor at the next E3 and QuakeCon, or any con for the next year. You sure have a vision, a seriously farq'd up one LOL ;) at that! I really want to see you succeed, you captured the minds of the [H]ardness Cult. hehe if you dont succeed I bet you they will torture you and edit out your existence for good!!! Probably not that harsh, but at least make you wish them to end your life. MUAHAHA!!!! God's Speed...or the lack there of :)

cgrant26 said:
Also, if you've ever seen the Lionol (sp?) train sets that puff smoke, maybe you could do a broken steam line with something like that.
Man, I wish I had the resources and time to start a serious modding project.

Yeah the steam idea was one of the first I came up with for the project--there will be a nice big fat broken pipe with smoke coming out. I just got the smoke unit a couple of days ago, works great!

For the top of the case, I chose to make the same rounded "crown" type moulding you see on the exterior buildings in the game. First I had to frame out the shape by cutting the joists from plastic on the scrollsaw. Next step is to put the "skin" on the joists to create that moulding's shape around the case. I'm thinking of putting another feature on top, maybe the "Communications" tower, with small windows all around it, perhaps an oscilating dish---who knows. What i really want to do is use this space to put a small animatronic creature that busts out of the building: head going side to side and arms reaching out and grabbing...just the head, shoulders and arms--haunted house style :D

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/dm_crown-(4).jpg

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/dm_crown-(7).jpg

THIS IS AWESOME!!!
Probably going to be the best game themed case ever.

About time you impress me with something :D No seriously I'm gonna go try this styrene plastic stuff you speak of. I'm assuming you are layering all of the pieces on the airlock, etc.

Gives good depth. This is what i was talking about a few weeks ago with you :p Next time send the memo my way :D

wow... this thread has grown ~6 pages in ~24 hours... that's front page pimpage for you!

the level of detail in this thing is scary... there is no :eek: big enough.

Im not gonna feel bad for myself cause your not just a guy modding, your an artist, who just happened to like computers so you mod them...my mod (singular) is pretty much amateur work and non-artistic, in other words kinda trashy...Heres a thought, have you considered making your case hover in your desk ?? I mean its the only thing missing...

No but seriously cant wait to see it...and HEAR it... i really back up the idea of making a video with sound and everything..it would be a crime to deny us the experience...

Suggestion : regarding the window on the side, it migth be cool, and power - saving to add blinds, or shutters like the ones in the kittchen early in the game, before you even get your first mission, that you could open and shut...but instead of turning the ligths off when they are opened and on when they are closed, like in the game, you shut the ligths off when the window is closed (since the cant be seen anyway) and your turn them on when the window is opened...that way you might save a little power...

GOOD... LORD... ALMIGHTY... /me bows before this modding goodness. excellent idea with the sound module.

rogue_jedi said:
wow... this thread has grown ~6 pages in ~24 hours... that's front page pimpage for you!

the level of detail in this thing is scary... there is no :eek: big enough.

Werd

i just acutally read through 8 pages of posts for the first time just because of how amazing this is. i would have to say this even ranks above the caffinee machine i saw before...where the guy built in a coffee maker into his case and it only ran off the computers powersupply and it kept it warm afterwards by using heat from the computer.

but wow i don't even really know what to say anymore....this is defintally art.

Qtip42 said:
About time you impress me with something :D No seriously I'm gonna go try this styrene plastic stuff you speak of. I'm assuming you are layering all of the pieces on the airlock, etc.

Gives good depth. This is what i was talking about a few weeks ago with you :p Next time send the memo my way :D

well you have always been a tough one to please Mr. Fancy Pants. :D BTW this styrene plastic isnt the healthiest material, so be cautious when using it. When it heats up and smokes (while using a Dremel for instance) the fumes are fairly noxious--the dust isnt any better either. Always use common sense with this stuff--chances are I've been poisoned already---Mod safely **cough**

Very nice work. This is the first thing that's drawn me into the forum sin a LONG time :).

A thought on doing the glowing pentagram. . .I don't think UV paint would work, it's too . . . wrong (for lack of a better term. I would be more inclined to use thin acrylic or plexi painted orange and red, etc. then backlit with bright LED's. I can't think of anything UV reactive that would look right, but judging by your painting skills on the airlock door, you could probably paint something effective on something thin and transparent (with other areas masked out in black, etc.) then backlit that would convey the right "fire" feeling.

Another thought . . . might be tough to do, but worth considering. . . a bright red LED utilizing some fiber optic cable (shielding the LED so it doesn't illuminate the whole case). Mount this in the top, and it could be used to simulate the red lightning (as in the arrival of a new demon).

dont know if this would be prohibitivy expense but maybe a small touch screen that you chould enter codes into and display other information you chould even wire the on/off to the touch screen instead of a button and when you enter a 4 digit code the airlock opens up and then the computer powers on

Totally awesome work man! Keep it up!

A small 3inch - 4inch display would be pretty cool. You could have it look like one of the ammo crates where you punch in the key code...or like a monitor on one of the computers in the game (display wise).

Can't wait to see more pics.

Total. pwnage.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Oh and another thing, if you ever consider making some flesh/gore into this mod...use liquid latex. You can paint layers and layers until it's dry, peel it off, use small rusty hooks to 'pull' the skin and then paint it. Just a thought. :)

CrimsonSky said:
When it heats up and smokes (while using a Dremel for instance) the fumes are fairly noxious--the dust isnt any better either.

The easiest and safest way to cut styrene is to score the plastic with a sharp hobby knife then bend the sheet at the score. It will snap just like glass. For thick stock or real complex curves, scissors and tin-snips work good. I think they even sell a pair of tin snips that looks like Lexan Scissors.

ucdbiendog said:
wow... just... wow...
i cant even come up with a coherent sentance describing the wowness of your mod...

^ s/he pretty much summed it up, Good job man.

Wondernerd said:
The easiest and safest way to cut styrene is to score the plastic with a sharp hobby knife then bend the sheet at the score. It will snap just like glass. For thick stock or real complex curves, scissors and tin-snips work good. I think they even sell a pair of tin snips that looks like Lexan Scissors.

Yeah, thats the best way for simple cuts and shapes--however mastery of the material requires sanding, grinding and heating, which is the cause of dangerous dust/fumes. 25 years of using it and I'm not dead yet--but who knows the long term effects--I may wind up with sumthing if I'm not careful. :eek:

Ok I discussed the project with my pal Mashie and there were some good ideas for animatronics. Since the game gives me the feeling of a haunted house--I thought some sort of game character with moving limbs/sound effects would be cool. Space is limited inside, so it would most likely be on the roof of the building. The drive bays areas are not an option because that space will house the water pump and motorized 7" LCD screen. The concept of the case is basically that its a small section of a bigger building, so the airlock would become a loosley based guide for other scale parts

*Animatronic "Sentry bot" with webcam???...hmmm Thoughts? Have it pop out of the top abd look around, complete with spotlight and weaponry.

This is a robotic pan/tilt cambot I was gonna use for my Matrix: Regenerator project. Maybe it will come in handy for this project :)

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/matrix2/pantilt.gif

CrimsonSky said:
*Animatronic "Sentry bot" with webcam???...hmmm Thoughts? Have it pop out of the top abd look around, complete with spotlight and weaponry.

that would just be so awsome

I think watch mark my words when this get's done .. ID is going to want to buy this thing and put it in there Corp. Office .. * 1 Million Dollars * :D don't forget i'll be your agent and i get 15% .. okay 10% :D

Since that window is going to be all dusty in the end, you could project something onto it, like the pentagram mentioned earlier. And since its at an angle, you could sort of hide the light on the top of the inside, though you'll have to play with the angle and/or shape of the cutout to get the right shape.

Sysjack said:
Since that window is going to be all dusty in the end, you could project something onto it, like the pentagram mentioned earlier. And since its at an angle, you could sort of hide the light on the top of the inside, though you'll have to play with the angle and/or shape of the cutout to get the right shape.

I looked into a miniature projection device to no avail--would be great to have the window like a rear screen material and project images on it--anyone have the technology here? we need optical engineers! Maybe we can find a lo-tech solution

Back