Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

wow, that's some really amazing stuff. the matrix one especially was magnificent! i'm sure this one will easily top that one though :p

Fucking Awesome work!
I have to say that this is one of the best case mods (even better than Piloux's HL2 case IMHO) I have seen in a long time. I've loved your Matrix projects and this just goes even further. You, Mashie, and gclg2000 are each doing a different aspect and design from the Doom 3 theme and I like that.

I've mentioned this to gclg2000 for his D3 case mod, You need to incorporate the chainsaw somehow into the case. The chainsaw in the Doom series is the equivalent to the crowbar in Half Life. Make a small scale one out of styrene and hide it as if it is waiting to be found or something. It just needs to be there.

A further idea for the pentagram lighting would be to have a small (4 or 6 inch) CCFL in place vertically to imitate the flashing "red lighting" thing that appears when an enemy spawns. If you can find a red lightning tube like the one Jeeves used in Project Black Lightning, that would look perfect.

You should put a few spare Oxygen tanks outside the airlock on the Martian lanscape for added detail.

I'm curious as to which type of model kits you are bashing for parts. Do you just go to a hobby store and find the cheapest kits there or do you look for specific types of kits like ships? Also, can this styrene plastic stuff be baught at most hobby stores?

Ok, I was going to read all the way through the thread to make sure i was not duplicating anyone elses idea, but it keeps growing by the minute it seems, so here goes..

First, incredible work. I am always in awe of creative talent such as yours. As for lighting, several "theme" ideas have been proposed, but since you seem to also be up on anamatronics, how about a scene that you trigger however that gets played out?

Basically I was thinking of getting some of the ideas here and creating a sequence that gets run through. Start with dim lighting, maybe the screen/monitor flickering (if that is workable) with the LED flashlight someone else proposed, but motorize it and have it slowly sweeping over the inside. Then have a light lowly flickering, then when the flashlight sweeps across the pentagram with the candles on the floor of the case, it stops, the candles light up, and then the pentagram lights up and the inside of the case explodes into red and flashing light, with the pentagram blazing.

Just a thought. All that might be too much or undoable, but I figured that if you are going for a Doom3 mod, the essential core of the game is the "feeling". My theater background tells me a small scene would fit in pulling that off. ;)

Not that you have not done that already. Again, incredible work man.

:eek::eek:

my suggestion, for the interior... I know you don't have much space in it, and you'll only have that small window... I think you should have two lights inside, a "normal" white light and some kind of UV/blacklight. When the normal light is on have the interior appear fairly normal... but, all over everything you'll have splashes of UV paint (clear as possible, I dunno what's out there) for "blood", and a big pentagram somewhere visible...

so what happens, is the normal light is on... then when the monster pops out of the top or whatever, the light switches off and the UV light comes on... but the UV light MUST be flickering, so it's a dark interior with the "blood" and the pentagram appearing to flicker in the (simulated) damaged base lighting...

I think that'd be cool but I dunno how you'd get the UV light to flicker...

just my 2 pence... :)

Hard_Rocker said:
:eek::eek:

my suggestion, for the interior... I know you don't have much space in it, and you'll only have that small window... I think you should have two lights inside, a "normal" white light and some kind of UV/blacklight. When the normal light is on have the interior appear fairly normal... but, all over everything you'll have splashes of UV paint (clear as possible, I dunno what's out there) for "blood", and a big pentagram somewhere visible...

so what happens, is the normal light is on... then when the monster pops out of the top or whatever, the light switches off and the UV light comes on... but the UV light MUST be flickering, so it's a dark interior with the "blood" and the pentagram appearing to flicker in the (simulated) damaged base lighting...

I think that'd be cool but I dunno how you'd get the UV light to flicker...

just my 2 pence... :)

2nded. if possible, this would be awesome.

==>Lazn

For a simple pentagram "projected" onto the window, you could have a second peice of lexan behind the dusty window, with a simple etching of the pentagramn (you can do it with any printer and a dremel) and a red LED. the LED goes on the edge of the lexan, and will reflect off the etched peice.

it's cheap and easy so you could play with it and see. :)

Sobek said:
I'm curious as to which type of model kits you are bashing for parts. Do you just go to a hobby store and find the cheapest kits there or do you look for specific types of kits like ships? Also, can this styrene plastic stuff be baught at most hobby stores?

Aha!..you are right--the chainsaw has to be in there somewhere--smoke and all--it is the very signature of Doom---how about press a button and it pops out from the top of the case--real spinning chain and smoke/ sound---crazy ideas but--

I was involved in a play where they needed a pentagram projected.

Basically, all we did was take a tube and put a pentagram shape on a piece of glass. We had the Star portion blacking out the center, a little space for lines and the rest of the glass blacked out. Shining the light through it gave us a pentagram. The light has to be far enough back so that the bulb isn't pushing the light past the template.

Sobek said:

I go for all types of kits--from sci-fi (star wars, star trek) to automotive and military. Prices range from $5 a kit up to $80. The styrene is purchased in 4x3 foot sheets at a store here in NYCity, but I'm sure it can be found online.

holy crap dude, all my base are belong to you. that's the best mod i've ever seen and it isn't even finished :eek:

i gotta say, wow. very well done so far. forwarding this thread off to some artists i know.

if you're good at scuplting, you could make a few of those flaming flying heads and suspend them above your case with fishing line, possibly attached to a crane structure similar to the crane in the game...

First, excellent work!! Second, if you are going to incorporate a chainsaw, why not have the dude that pops out of the case wield one and swing it around and stuff!!!

I like the idea of the pointer and wonder how hard it would be to make your own "tip" so you could have the pentagram right from that...and it should be fairly easy to hook to power and rig a switch to turn it on

The moulding is now just about complete. The joists were "skinned" and acrylic half-round rod was heat bent and put in place. The next step is to do a little mud job with Bondo to fill the seams and even out the round corners.

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/dm_crown2-(9).jpg

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/dm_crown2-(3).jpg

I just thought it would so cool if you replaced the rod with tubing and use it in the WC setup. Then again that might not work. Still it looks cool.

CrimandEvil said:
I just thought it would so cool if you replaced the rod with tubing and use it in the WC setup. Then again that might not work. Still it looks cool.

That would look cool but it doesn't really fit the theme since it is supposd to be the top of the building and will be painted.

I'm glad to see that you are going to incorporate the chainsaw idea somewhere. gclg2000 is putting an actual chainsaw blade in his case. That isn't appropriate for yours since it has to be to scale but I'm sure you will have something cool and original that will fit in perfectly. Thanks for the kitbashing and styrene tips as well.

Wow I must say...this is simply amazing. I seriously wish I had the skill to pull something like this off. I think this will definately be one of the best cases of the year. I don't know what else to say.

I wasnt picking my balls, I was adjusting my testicles. :D

WANTED: Good (clear, bright) screenshots of the Doom3 sentry bots---if anyone has the time that would be great. cheers

looking very good, could tell right away that you know your way around an exacto and some plasticard :D

fellow modelers unite :)

lol crimson. Too bad your camera cant get better FPS.. its really choppy hard to make what your doing..

PC_Commando said:
come on FLECOM there just having a little fun dont be a butthead
naw dude i was a little immature. plus you might want to watch how you talk when your talking to mods

lets get back to the modding.

dude this is turning out pretty sweet. nice detail

Crimson ... This is just a thought, as are everyone else's who are trying to par-take in this great mod. What about the idea of hooking up a strobe light (set to random, no pun intended) to the inside (might have to box it in a little, so as to not have it shine through every crack in the case) as it would add to the illusion of whatever window mod you are going todo, that there would be flickering lights on and off inside the "building". Take it, leave it, whatever, but at least i know i tried to contribute to this beautiful thing. BTW, excellent show of true time built skill, ingenuity and craftmanship.

Back