Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

are you going to changeto more top end gfx cards and proc or not? also ttake your time greatness cant be rushed

Nice gear, although I'm surprised your only using 1gb of ram. Seems sub par compared to the rest of the list.

well right now many would say you dont need any more than 1GB high performance ram in gaming systems--i could be wrong tho ;)

CrimsonSky said:
well right now many would say you dont need any more than 1GB high performance ram in gaming systems--i could be wrong tho ;)

That is complete BS, I couldn't crank out games such as Battlefield 2, Doom 3, Quake 4 etc, in max res with an A64 3500+ OCed, 7800GTX OCed, and 1GB of Corsair 2-2-2-5 RAM at a 1T command rate, SATA RAID 0, On the SAME motherboard you're looking at geting, etc. Going to 2GB of OCZ 2-3-2-5 made ALL the difference in the world! Anyone knowledgable enough should tell you that BF2 runs optimally with more than 1GB of RAM. However I did not notice any difference running 3GB over 2GB in any real application, most likely because it was not needed and the 2T command rate. It killed me to get slower RAM and sell my beloved 2-2-2-5 Corsair but I had to, it was blazingly fast but there just wasn't enough of it. Please reconsider this and do some more research and find some good 2x1GB sticks for this rig. Your CPU and GPUs might be enough to make up the difference but it will still bottleneck your machine. Also I'd recommend either BFG Tech or XFX for your GPUs. I say this for one reason and one reason alone, not because they OC them from the factory, but because they do that and back their cards by a LIFETIME warranty. After all the rings I jumped through and am still jumping through on an old problematic 6800GT from Leadtek I've learned the value of this time and time again. I believe XFX takes it one step further by implementing a double lifetime warranty where if you sell your GPU later on that person will also receive a direct factory warranty for the lifetime of that card as well. Please PM me if you have any further questions, can't wait till this mod is done, it is absolutely astounding.

No, it isn't complete BS. Most games won't have a noticible difference between 2GB and 1GB. Some games do though, such as BF2 as you said.

1GB would be fine for now, but I would go with 2GB anyway so it will last.

ChingChang said:
No, it isn't complete BS. Most games won't have a noticible difference between 2GB and 1GB. Some games do though, such as BF2 as you said.

1GB would be fine for now, but I would go with 2GB anyway so it will last.

That is why I mentioned the games that actually need it. Of course most games will not need 2GB but it's quickly becoming more and more prevalant. And it's only going to get worse from here for future games, if he's spent 1400+ hours on a case and is getting top of the line stuff he might as well get 2GB of RAM, it just seems like a natural move to make, wouldn't you agree?

Thanks for the info on the memory :D All the hardware has been sponsored by my friends at www.newegg.com and www.frozencpu.com and is already on the workbench and prepared for installation--I'll see about getting more ram for a future upgrade--hell maybe I'll win a stick or two in a contest sometime :cool:

No problem man, now stop replying to my posts and get to work on this case! :p

And yes, newegg rocks.

hehe..waiting for paint to dry actually...and stirring the tomato sauce in the kitchen and watching for the helicopters.

Yeah thats kinda what I was refering to with the amount of ram... its like BAM FX57!! BAM Dual 7800GTX's!!... oh yeah and 1gb of ram...

However, I guess you can't complain when its free!

OMG Crim, It's so f-in awesome!
I can't get over how awesome it is!

I'll give you $2000.00 for it!

Majin has no money to his name so he is all talk!

I must say, I'm quite impressed. I haven't visited the modding forum in awhile since I haven't had time or money to work on anything myself and coming here always makes me get the itch, but I'm glad I did.
This project has impressed me since day 1 and it has only gotten better and better. Glad to see you're finally in the home stretch... My God.. what in the world will you do with yourself once you're done with this time consuming beast of a project? :p

Best of luck finishing up and thanks for taking the time to keep us all up to date on what I would deem, by far, the most ambitious case modding project ever seen :D

WOW! That window etch turned out better than I thought. If you ever need/want it, I still have the ACAD drawing for it. Speaking of the etch, what ever happened to DeathLok?

BTW, can you see our names in the lighted etch? :D

Almost there Crim! Keep it up!

cgrant26 said:
WOW! That window etch turned out better than I thought. If you ever need/want it, I still have the ACAD drawing for it. Speaking of the etch, what ever happened to DeathLok?

BTW, can you see our names in the lighted etch? :D

Almost there Crim! Keep it up!

The laser etch is really nicely done thanks to you!--and yes..the names are visible. although i think they are backwards because the smooth side is facing out-- :D

I now have 2GB HyperX thanks to the great folks at Kingston Technology--the pair is also on the manufacturer's list for the Asus A8N mobo

It would be a merry Christmas indeed if CrimsonSky treated us to some finished shots of this mod! :)

Yay, new pics finally. Wow Crimson, that case is finishing up REAL nicely. It has to be one of the best mods I've seen in my life. Keep the pics coming! :)

Hey Crim, Have you had any issues with the temperatures?

I am not sure how well the air will exhaust after the heat exchanger via that 'duct'. Besides, some of the hot air coming out the vent will get sucked back into the intake (they are too close together. Problem is that fixing the issue could require mayor surgery. Anyway, it may all be in my head, I always have heat issues on my PCs.

Ozone77 said:
Hey Crim, Have you had any issues with the temperatures?

I am not sure how well the air will exhaust after the heat exchanger via that 'duct'. Besides, some of the hot air coming out the vent will get sucked back into the intake (they are too close together. Problem is that fixing the issue could require mayor surgery. Anyway, it may all be in my head, I always have heat issues on my PCs.

I think it will be OK--One advantage is that its not recycling warm air from the interior of the case to cool the rad like so many other WC setups I've seen--but we'll see once I'm pushing the hardware what the temps are

vinividivici said:
hey, can we sticky the locked thread again? we'll never find it if it isn't stickied.

hell, do the batman one too while you're at it.

here it is so you don't have to go looking-
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=802808

Thanks for the link--I had no idea where it went :p I'm just now photographing every piece and part to the mod in order to catalogue it before I assemble it all--this way it will make sense as i log the final progress.

WooHoo! last stuff ahoy! You should make background size pcitures of the lit pentagram on a black background. id use it lmao that thing is so immaculate! BEAUTIFUL!

OMG! AN UPDATE! I have been waiting since 12-02-05 :D (last update fyi) And today i went into the forums, worklogs, saw the doom3 thread, checked the date and my heart jumped! *Click* *wait* *wait* 3 new images??? WTF??? NOOO I WANT MOOORE!!!!! Lol :D Crimson: YOU SIR, ARE A MODGOD! Great work.

After 15 months, I'm 99.9% done....!!! There will be an official page up soon on Newegg.com that will have really good shots of the case as well as plenty of video and other good stuff--stay tuned and thanks to all for sticking with me and helping out with this huge project--more to come soon!

d3_1.jpg

d3_2.jpg

d3_3.jpg

Back