Doom Eternal

Just to add. Get used to dashing a LOT in combat. Dash out to create distance, dash in to get your gory / chainsaw kills, dash to cover if needed. Just remember that the low level demons are just walking sacks of ammo/health/armor waiting for you to tear it out of them at your convenience. :D

I just completed one of the Slayer Gates (during the Mars mission) and during one of the phases they removed all those low level easy chainsaw kill enemies and replaced them with harder to kill ones (Maykr Drones I think is the name)...after I killed the Marauder I thought I won but nope there were 2 more waves of even harder enemies...the most challenging Slayer Gate yet...every Gate gets harder then the last...I don't want to think about how much harder the next Gate is going to be

Last edited:
Just a heads up that Ultraviolence is harder than 2016 nightmare. I beat 2016 on nightmare first go and it was challenging but nothing took more than a few tries.

A single slayer gate in this game can take an hour of retries.

ITS AWESOME.

That hotfix patch fixed the issues I was having with the game. No more half FPS with V-Sync or intermittent crashes.

After trying to fine tune everything on my PG27UQ I just ended up with max-min settings and it actually looks pretty good, in my opinion. I tweaked the stops a little from the edges.

Brightness: 16.0
Saturation: 0.9
Min Stops: -8.0
White Point: 1.0
Max Stops: 8.0

I posted the settings I used on my LG C8 on the last page, but I may try starting with the above again.

Tried out your settings on my Predator X27 and they look great! The picture is well balanced.

I just completed the Taras Nabad level...one of the most stressful levels from beginning to end in any game ever...so many ridiculously difficult fights...luckily the weapon you get at the end is worth the pain and stress...it's been a long time (if ever) that a game has worn me out like this...and the crazy part was the Slayer Gate in the level was one of the easier ones...

I just completed the Taras Nabad level...one of the most stressful levels from beginning to end in any game ever...so many ridiculously difficult fights...luckily the weapon you get at the end is worth the pain and stress...it's been a long time (if ever) that a game has worn me out like this...and the crazy part was the Slayer Gate in the level was one of the easier ones...
This game has literally gotten the blood pumping, which is a good thing as I haven't felt so engaged playing a game in a long time.

Seriously. I don't remember the last time a game made my heart pound, lol.

After playing a bit more, I've now gotten into the rhythm of things. I'd still MUCH prefer there to be more ammo pickups, med-packs, healing stations like the classic games, but overall, it feels pretty good now. I've collected a couple of mobility items now, and it feels pretty good. Thoroughly enjoying it now.

Just a heads up that Ultraviolence is harder than 2016 nightmare. I beat 2016 on nightmare first go and it was challenging but nothing took more than a few tries.

A single slayer gate in this game can take an hour of retries.

ITS AWESOME.

I got 1 shot by the same fucking Cacodemon from full health twice. Things are brutal if they get close.

BITE
1-up respawn 3 inches away
BITE

So to fast travel to go back and get missed collectibles do you have to beat the mission, then replay it, and get to a certain point?

Games is fun textures could be better.
Hell my 5820K with a 5 yr old XFX OC'ed 390X hits 70-100 fps on my LG 2K 144Hz VA panel on ultra nightmare settings, runs like butter. Vulkan API runs great.

So to fast travel to go back and get missed collectibles do you have to beat the mission, then replay it, and get to a certain point?
I don't know about replaying entire missions, but I have had no issues using fast travel before I exit the mission to pick something up I may have missed. All the enemies you killed along the way are gone doing it this way. Unfortunately I have to restart one mission because for some reason one of the enemy encounters didn't fully resolve so I only got 9/10 weapon points... And you can't redo any encounter if you fast travel at the end.

I don't know about replaying entire missions, but I have had no issues using fast travel before I exit the mission to pick something up I may have missed. All the enemies you killed along the way are gone doing it this way. Unfortunately I have to restart one mission because for some reason one of the enemy encounters didn't fully resolve so I only got 9/10 weapon points... And you can't redo any encounter if you fast travel at the end.

and just to add...you can only fast travel within your current Mission...so you can't go back to a previous level and retrieve all of the collectibles you may have missed...with any game I always take my time to explore and try and get as many secrets/challenges/collectibles as possible in my first run but I always miss some...with Doom Eternal I'm missing quite a few...I never use any sort of guides/walkthroughs during a 1st run...during my 2nd playthrough I'll consult a guide to find everything

**also if you use the Chapter Select feature, Fast Travel is not unlocked until the normal end of level checkpoint

More screen shots. Most these are from the final missions, so I'll tag them.

Palace.jpg

Hallway.jpg
Interior.jpg

Bossfight.jpg

Mastered.jpg

All weapons Mastered

Runes.jpg

All Runes

Suit.jpg

Suit fully Upgraded

Toys.jpg

Of course I wouldn't be much of a Completionist if I didn't get all the Collectibles. 100% Toys, Records, Cheats and Lore.

Weapons.jpg

If you apply a skin you've unlocked, the change will be displayed on your wall (I'll add another shot with the end game skins)

Doom-Slayer.jpg

My Doom Slayer. Tried the MP, would need to get used to it, but probably won't bother.

The MP seems like something that would be really fun to play with some friends. Not sure I'd bother with it with random people tho.

He really is, even aside from my fatherly bias! :)

He bought me an EoTech XPS2 holo weapon sight for Christmas, too. I'm going to have to make his birthday really special this year, haha.

NICE! Not to hijack the thread, but how do you like it? I was between that and a Trijicon MRO for my MPX and I went with the MRO. No regrets, but I think I'd like the extra FOV and reticle on the XPS2.

Hope you're enjoying the game!!

Happy to report that the min-max settings for HDR I mentioned earlier translate well to my LG C8 OLED. On the C8 I had to lower the saturation one point to 0.9. Contrast is amazing and bright things like the plasma rifle really pop.

NICE! Not to hijack the thread, but how do you like it? I was between that and a Trijicon MRO for my MPX and I went with the MRO. No regrets, but I think I'd like the extra FOV and reticle on the XPS2.

Hope you're enjoying the game!!

Well so far, I've only fondled it...between winter and rain and work, hitting the range has been a difficult proposition. I will tell you that I was extremely impressed by the solid build quality (it's as good or better than my older 512), which is to be expected at the price, but it's not a lightweight.

I already have an Aimpoint PRO, but the MRO was actually on my list of sights to get as well because, well you can never have enough optics. :D I kind of want one "just because" but honestly for the price, I've been seriously happy with the Sig Romeo 5 and other similar products from Primary Arms, Holosun, and Vortex. Those get put on most of my rifles. As much as I'd like to, I can't justify having a T-2 on everything!

Fellow MPX owner here, btw. (y) Such a bad ass little home defense setup AND fun at the range!

As far as the game, I've been busting ass with remote access requests for our customers but it's getting loaded up tonight for sure. :)

This game is pretty cool. I'm pleased with the mouse movement and how smooth and lagless everything is. Graphics are amazing, the levels look great.

I have a few gripes:
1. Easy is too easy and boring
2. Medium is too hard (for me to beat some checkpoints without dying 10+ times). So I have to set a solid hour aside, once I start a level, I cannot stop, I get so frustrated from dying and retrying that I will not quit until I beat it on Medium. So that means I cannot simply jump into the game and play for 15 minutes to get a quick fix.
3. The platforming is really dumb and annoying. There's nothing challenging about jumping around and clinging to walls. Just keep letting me kill things.
4. Glory kills and chainsaw kills still take too long, even with the upgrade to do them faster. Feels like an eternity you're just sitting there waiting for the animation to finish, and monsters can easily get free hits on you after the animation finishes. Get's super repetitive watching the animation over and over again, but it's required since you need them for ammo/health.

This game is pretty cool. I'm pleased with the mouse movement and how smooth and lagless everything is. Graphics are amazing, the levels look great.

I have a few gripes:
1. Easy is too easy and boring
2. Medium is too hard (for me to beat some checkpoints without dying 10+ times). So I have to set a solid hour aside, once I start a level, I cannot stop, I get so frustrated from dying and retrying that I will not quit until I beat it on Medium. So that means I cannot simply jump into the game and play for 15 minutes to get a quick fix.
3. The platforming is really dumb and annoying. There's nothing challenging about jumping around and clinging to walls. Just keep letting me kill things.
4. Glory kills and chainsaw kills still take too long, even with the upgrade to do them faster. Feels like an eternity you're just sitting there waiting for the animation to finish, and monsters can easily get free hits on you after the animation finishes. Get's super repetitive watching the animation over and over again, but it's required since you need them for ammo/health.

I don't mind the platforming THAT much, but there are some spots that were just kind of set up in a stupid way. I could tell why they did it, and the challenge they were going for, but to me it wasn't fun. It was annoying. I liked the vertical levels in Doom 2016. They were more in context and less magical levitating platforms for the sake of platforms. :D Otherwise the actual jumping and climbing mechanics are pretty solid. I just wish they were reserved more for just in-context situations.

I agree with the Melee stuff. I liked Doom 2016 where it was helpful, and a good way to dig your way out of being totally screwed, but not 100% necessary in every fight. I have picked up on the rhythm of things, and it's feeling really good now, but I do wish they leaned just slightly more toward ranged weapons. Doesn't even need to be extreme, just add a few more natural ammo pickups here and there, and bump capacities up a tiny bit.

Otherwise, I really like the combat flow.

...well you can never have enough optics. :D

Agree with your choices across the board. I have a Romeo 1 on my Sig P320 X5 & a Vertex 1-6x on my AR. My MPX is gen 2 K variant; outside of the MRO, the only changes I've made are a Timney trigger, Radeon Charging handle & ATI grip. It is far and away my favorite to take to the Range.

I hear you with work+life. I'm on vacation at the moment, otherwise it was 12's before I left, and will be more when I return. Doom Eternal just happened drop at a convenient time for me.

I'm currently at 40 hours and close to the end...I don't understand how people are finishing this in 11-12 hours on a first run etc unless 1) they're using a walkthrough...2) they're rushing through the campaign focusing only on the main story and ignoring exploration, side content, collectibles etc...3) they're playing on the lowest difficulty level

I'm currently at 40 hours and close to the end...I don't understand how people are finishing this in 11-12 hours on a first run etc unless 1) they're using a walkthrough...2) they're rushing through the campaign focusing only on the main story and ignoring exploration, side content, collectibles etc...3) they're playing on the lowest difficulty level
git gud?! ;)
i bet they are just rushing it.

I just got to the Super Gore Nest mission and I'm almost to 10 hours of play time. This is about 1/3 through the game, and the missions get longer, so I can see myself being at 40'ish hours by the time I finish the game. I'm finding and getting all the secrets myself on my first playthrough, not replaying missions except the one time where the encounter I mentioned earlier didn't resolve and robbed me of a weapon point the first time. Trucking through on Ultra Violence difficulty.

Fired this up last night, wow. As soon as the first level loaded, I knew I was going to dig the art style. Very fast paced gameplay at times, and refreshingly challenging! Also happens to be the first game that I've played in HDR...holy cow, the game looks gorgeous. Thanks Armenius for posting your OLED HDR settings...that gave me a good point of reference for setting mine up. I found when I toggled HDR mode in game, the defaults were FAR too bright.

Back