Doom Eternal

The game is running great for me but be careful bumping up the difficulty... I was getting my ass handed to me so I stepped it down a notch.

Yeah you are made of absolute fucking paper on ultra violence.

Found out the console version of Doom 64 supports mouse & keyboard.
Probably won't get much time to play it today (I really AM working at home), but I noticed that the game has some nice built-in HDR options. Too many games require the Windows 10 toggle, but a few (like the ones from Capcom), don't. Those also tend to be the games with lots of additional tweaks and options.

It's stupid that I even care, but I hate how blurry the Bethesda Launcher is. It's fixable if you change the DPI settings, but that also affects all of the games you launch from it. I don't know why they don't bother to fix that.
Yes, but there are no proper calibration screens so you have to do a "best guess" when adjusting the HDR. By default everything was too damn bright on my PG27UQ. I'm still tweaking it because I haven't found a satisfying setup yet.
One of the strangest mechanics I've seen is that your punch literally does 0 damage to enemies.

You're telling me that I can punch a zombie 10 times to no avail but it can chin check me to 20 health in like 3 hits?? Retarded.
They did this to implement the Blood Punch, apparently.
Yeah you are made of absolute fucking paper on ultra violence.
Glory kill everything and you'll never die.
True and your melee attack does zero damage plus your ammo runs out in seconds!
I actually like it. Forces you to strategize and use your other abilities a lot more.

Enjoy the game, but after installing the game plus new Nvidia drivers my monitor goes black for a second or so and then back again. This only happens in other games and not Doom. Only happens at loading screens in the other games or when exiting a game. Using the PC in my sig. Any ideas?

Seemed to be a driver issue. Rolled back to the previous version and it's fine. Just wanted to post this if anyone else had an issue.

Runs great on 5700XT maxed out, I turned off motion blur and film grain. HDR does not work, looks like an AMD issue, many at Steam with AMD video cards when selecting HDR in game "Your Monitor does not support HDR" warning occurs. Newest drivers 20.3.1 with or without HDR selected on desktop, fullscreen or windowed mode does not matter.

So those that can run HDR, how does it look? Performance Hit? Vram hit?

So those that can run HDR, how does it look? Performance Hit? Vram hit?

I haven't tried it in this game (at least longer than 30 seconds), but there is usually no performance hit for enabling HDR. At least nothing tangible. In the games that show different performance comparisons, it's usually listed as having 0 impact on anything. As far as visuals go, it was set a hair too bright by default. At least compared to every other HDR game/app I have. I'd suggest turning the brightness down on it a little.

HDR settings for my LG C8:

Brightness: 11.0
Saturation: 1.0
Min Stops: -4.0
White Point: 0.25
Max Stops: 8.0

What's the verdict?? Worth it? Boring? Fun? I've got upteen zillion games in back log. Shit, still haven't finished Doom 2016, RD2, Fallen Order, COD SP, Mechwarrior 5, Metro Exodus DLC, AC origins,.....And those are just the newest games i've purchased in the last 3-4 months =\

Gotta say this game feels kinda bogged down in shit compared to the first.

I guess I drive a Castle space ship now for some reason. Hey Vega's back and is now Jarvis. Oh there's the 4th cutscene of monsters showing up for whatever reason instead of it just happening while I'm playing. Jesus fuck the 4th tutorial on how to press a single button that literally teleports me to another room.

Compared to the first game where you just wake, beat a few things to death with your sequoia sized dick and you're on your merry way.

Gotta say this game feels kinda bogged down in shit compared to the first.

I guess I drive a Castle space ship now for some reason. Hey Vega's back and is now Jarvis. Oh there's the 4th cutscene of monsters showing up for whatever reason instead of it just happening while I'm playing. Jesus fuck the 4th tutorial on how to press a single button that literally teleports me to another room.

Compared to the first game where you just wake, beat a few things to death with your sequoia sized dick and you're on your merry way.

Uhhh...So I guess that's a "NO"? :confused:

I don't know if I'm far enough in the game to make a verdict, but the beginning at least is not what I expected.

I don't like the UI in Eternal...those giant question marks all around the map signaling a secret area feels cheesy...they should have put that in the map only and not out in the open world...feels like a goofier version of the Riddler trophies in the Arkham games...the beginning area of Doom 2016 feels different- you get your weapon and you're on your way...in Eternal you start out very weak...probably a design decision but it feels strange especially coming directly after a re-play of Doom 2016

What's the verdict?? Worth it? Boring? Fun? I've got upteen zillion games in back log. Shit, still haven't finished Doom 2016, RD2, Fallen Order, COD SP, Mechwarrior 5, Metro Exodus DLC, AC origins,.....And those are just the newest games i've purchased in the last 3-4 months =\
2016 was a masterpiece in every regard, and would be difficult to top. I may not have played enough yet to be credible (beat the first mission, ~1 hour of play). ....but... the game plays very differently than 2016 and not in good ways in my opinion. The storytelling isn't there (yet?), combat is clunky/slow/difficult, the UI is awful. The environment visuals and music are top notch, but everything else feels like several steps backwards to me. The transitions and 'flow' that made 2016 great are completely absent. There's some mechanics that can be nitpicked but I expect the game will handle these better as players progress e.g. melee doing no damage, not enough ammo starting out, baddies hitting like trucks.

So far, it feels like a 90's (mechanically) horror survival game with Doom 2016 visuals and music.

Beat the first mission a moment ago. So far, everything's worked great, and my 3700X + 1080 Ti have zero trouble maintaining 60fps vsync on my 3840x1600 display with all of the eye candy either max or near-max while running quietly. Zero gameplay issues/bugs. Story so far is...odd, but I hope it will start coming together soon. The first mission is difficult on ultra-violence, and I'm tempted to bump it down a notch. Eagerly awaiting more weapons! I don't care for parkour games but so far that's not really detracted from the game.

Visuals are excellent. Environments are gorgeous. Mick Gordon did another banging job on the soundtrack.

The only major complaint I have is that the melee attack does no damage. I get you're not going to KO a Baron of Hell, but you should be able to punchout zombies and imps. I hope they fix this.

In case any of you still had it in your head that you needed a 9900k to get the most out of this game on Ultra Nightmare. Using Idtech 7! Using Vulkan!

Results using a 5.0 Ghz 8700k.
The developers made that assertion. I never would have given how unlikely it is, and it does seem that the developers stretched a bit.

Running great for me also, even on my admittedly older i7-3770. 1080 Ti still performing like a champ, enabling me to run it at 4K on Ultra Nightmare with no stuttering/hitches. Gameplay is definitely different from Doom 2016 and, for me at least, takes a little getting used to. Despite that, I'm enjoying it.

Uhhh...So I guess that's a "NO"? :confused:
I'm enjoying it. I really like the updated gameplay systems and flow of combat, and the game is an actual challenge this time around. But the visual style is a huge turn off. I'm using the UAC UI preset and turned a lot of the HUD off, but all the brightly colored items and rainbow puke that spews out when you chainsaw an enemy (which you have to do a lot this time around due to limited ammo) is sometimes enough to make me quit. The visual style in 2016 was perfect. I have no idea why they felt the need all of the sudden to make this change.

WTH?...a small patch came through and now I get this message that pop ups when I launch the game...

58.png

I've played through he first mission so far, just noting my initial thoughts: (playing on Ultra-Violence to get my feet wet :D )

Intro: Felt like 2016 all over again, gave me goosebumps. Time to rip and tear like 2016, LET's GO!

Music/sound: like 2016, AMAZING! I'm playing it on 2.1 with some nice speakers and damn it is immersive, and the soundtrack is so on point! It thumps, explosions/guns sound deep, it feels great (literally can feel it in my desk).

Visuals: My goodness. Great detail, I'm running on UltraViolence with motion blur and 1 other thing turned off and hitting over 130FPS averages @ 1440P on my sig rig. The levels are RAW and Quake 3 feeling (pentas/satanic in nature, gruesome really), honestly think they managed to make the atmosphere of the first level feel great. Lets see if it continues.

Gameplay: This was my main concern going in... and I honestly feel I need to adjust a little bit. Coming from 2016, this feels a touch bit clunkier? Clearly you are not supposed to shot anything to death, everything must be a glory kill (especially for health purposes, and to conserve ammo), and I don't exactly know how to describe it but something feels a bit off: It feels like I press the glory kill button, the animation completes, then there is a touch of lag while it "resets" my view back to the angle I originally came in at (say the floor, glory kill from above, there's this slight lag/jiggle before I can move the mouse again) and then I can swing the cam to the next target? Doom 2016 felt smoother in this regard. Clearly this a mechanic I need to do 24/7, and darn, 2016 did it better, we'll see if I can adjust a bit to it.

More on Gameplay: This game really is SMOOTH overall, my initial critique is a of a core game mechanic, but other then that, it's just like it flows just like 2016. It has a very arcade feel to it for sure, more so then the last game, and I think a lot of that has to do with the color pallet. Chainsaw a demon, color explosion of different colored ammo (feels Diablo 3-like if you know what I mean, stark contrast to the otherwise grim pallet) bit distracting. Your shoulder mounted gun is kinda cool, grenades and a flamethrower so far, we'll see how this goes. I also do not care for the bright AF ? icons on secrets.... kinda makes it not so secret doesn't it?

Menu: 2016 did it way better, I find the index entries clunky to read (yeah, I'm one that reads all that junk :D), font size is too large (can only get a blurb of the whole entry, then have to reach all the way over to ENTER to get the full page) and IMO the typeface is terrible/over the top gothic-style (yeah, I get the theme and all, but damn, its NOT GOOD). Navigation of menu's isn't the greatest either. The font critique is for all game menus btw.

Your guy's thoughts? I'm going back in for a while.

See spoiler, some of my first level critiques aren't holding up entirely.

EDIT: things get so much better a bit intro level 2... choose your runes + Praeter suite kind of upgrades? You mean I don't have to wait until half way through the game for the air moverment perkl???? YES PLEASE

Last edited:
Is it more akin to Doom 3? I actually preferred that to Doom 2016.

See my short initial review above, I honestly don't know how Doom 3 talk is even in the equation. IMO, I really can't even draw a remote comparison of the two.

This is not atmospheric horror like 3 was, which I complete miss in some regards... Nothing scared me more back in the day then flashlight out... and suddenly Pinky around the corner.

The first mission is difficult on ultra-violence, and I'm tempted to bump it down a notch. Eagerly awaiting more weapons! I don't care for parkour games but so far that's not really detracted from the game.

Visuals are excellent. Environments are gorgeous. Mick Gordon did another banging job on the soundtrack.

The only major complaint I have is that the melee attack does no damage. I get you're not going to KO a Baron of Hell, but you should be able to punchout zombies and imps. I hope they fix this.

I hear ya on wanting to bump it down, it's always a rough go at the beginning with only 2 weapons, but IMO, the intensity isn't there if you're 10 hits away from death. Plus it always lightens up a bit once you have more of an arsenal to play with.

I completely agree on the imps/zombies taking 0 damage from melee being bs, conserving ammo is tough enough already, IMO too much focus on Blood Punch.

Last edited:

Need to finish Far Cry Primal and then maybe I will move this to the front of my backlog.

Lack of melee damage sucks, especially when low on health and ammo. It forces you to waste ammo just to get some health. Correct if i'm wrong, but its been a while since i played it, but in Doom 2016, when you glory-killed a demon flashing blue, you got health, and when gold, you got ammo? At least they gave you a choice on what to pick up what you needed at the time. That doesn't seem to be the case here - you only get health no matter their colour?

The RGB ammo vomit after using the chainsaw is also kinda lame. Doesn't fit in at all.

I conservatively set the game to ultra and told it to target 120FPS and it seemed to run good. I then decided to go with ultra nightmare detail and target 100FPS. I swear it looks AND runs better with ultra nightmare + 100FPS. After tonight's patch, it seems the game requires the Windows 10 HDR to be enabled or the game will flicker when booted with HDR enabled in-game. Not really sure, but the HDR might look better after the patch, either a placebo effect or they've changed something with the HDR/graphics.

I finished the 1st level and now that I got a better feel for the gameplay it's more fun...the key is to use Glory Kills to re-gain health and use the Chainsaw to re-gain ammo...that way you always have good amounts of ammo and health at all times...it's a dance that you need to maintain throughout every fight alternating between the 2 based on which you need more...the Extra Life power-ups are also useful

Attachments

• 6.png
    6.png
    825.1 KB · Views: 0
I've completed the first 5 missions, have roughly 9 hours in (relayed 1st mission to find all secrets). Running the game at max settings @ 4k on a 2080ti with the new drivers; runs flawlessly. The game looks amazing, is buttery smooth throughout... but imo the gameplay is a downgrade from 2016. That game just flowed, on all difficulties, this game feels stilted, gated and bogged down with too many mechanics. Too many times I found myself cornered and unable to find a generic enemy to farm for ammo, or had to focus too much on doing just enough damage to not kill, but still stagger for the Glory Kill, while being surrounded by dozens of aggressive enemies. Melee is useless unless you've got 2 glory kills to charge your Blood Punch, so when you reflex punch in an emergency, it quite literally does no damage. Doom Guy apparently lost his fists after 2016. The platforming is more often a frustration fest rather than an extension of fluid movement. Don't get me wrong, the game has a ton of good content, but the experience over-all is simply not as fun from my perspective. I suppose the depth could be appreciated on additional play-throughs, but currently, it is just getting in the way of what could have been a fun game.

At the moment, there seem to be a few bugs. One I experienced while climbing certain walls where your character would start climbing off into mid air, or clipping into a parallel wall. Another that prevents my Challenges from being updated to Bethesda, despite it successfully logging in when starting the game. It tells me I have not set a User Name, even though it is listed directly above the error message and the website shows the accounts linked. I'm sure this will get worked out in short order, but seeing "0" XP progress and the Reward screen just hanging on a loading icon at the end of each mission is starting to tick me off. I will see if there website or forums are any help tomorrow, but I'm headed to bed now.

That game just flowed, on all difficulties, this game feels stilted, gated and bogged down with too many mechanics...

I agree that the pacing and flow feels different in Eternal but now that I just completed the 2nd level I have to admit I'm loving it...this is the definition of a first person shooter...the sheer chaos and adrenaline during these large scale battles is off the charts...I agree that the game has too many mechanics whereas the first game was just aim and shoot...this one requires a lot more health/armor/ammo management...having to constantly switch weapons, chainsaw enemies for ammo, jump around, glory kill for health, use that flamer to regain armor etc makes every fight much more chaotic and overly complicated

but wow the fights are crazy...in the bigger battles you get a shit ton of enemies attacking you from all directions virtually non stop...I'm impressed that id was able to keep performance so smooth...graphics are a step down from 2016 but the pure craziness of the fights is insane...those platforming puzzles definitely ruin the pacing a bit but I'm enjoying those quiet moments before the storm hits...the game has its issues but the combat is amazing and one of the best pure shooter games I've ever played

I'm eight hours in and I'm loving it so far. The game did overload you with tutorials in the beginning but some I found useful. You really have to get used to using all the new mechanics in the game for it be fun and make it through Ultra Violence. The game is more challenging than Doom 2016 that's for sure. Another thing that is crucial is blowing off the turrets and guns from larger enemies such as arachnotrons and mancubi. If you don't then these enemies will control the arenas and destroy you. Like others have alluded to, farming resources from enemies in all the different ways you can is important. The combat feels great and while some of the balancing changes to the weapons took time getting accustomed to, I'm understanding it now and getting better at the game which is increasing my enjoyment of it. The platforming sections are cool as well and so far haven't lasted too long to become boring like some of the platforming sections in Doom 2016.

To me the graphics are pretty good for how well the game runs on all types of hardware. The game does have a more "pastel" look when compared to Doom 2016 but I still like the way it looks. It was a nice surprise seeing it has HDR on PC since other games don't and it had been a while since I made use of the HDR feature on my monitor. The default HDR settings were too bright but lowering the HDR brightness helps a lot (I didn't mess with the other settings).

Performance is great but I did run into some issues. I'm playing at 4K with a GTX 1080Ti and it was able to average over 60fps with everything on Ultra Nightmare but since it would sometimes dip below 60 I decided to start messing with the dynamic resolution settings. Setting the fps target to 120 only let me average in the 80fps range and it would never get close to 120. Luckily I came here and saw where it was mentioned that current drivers with Pascal cards have issues with V-Sync enabled so I disabled it while keeping G-Sync on. After doing a quick test the fps target seems to work properly now and my fps would reach 120 in areas where it should.

I'm 12 hours in (including lots of deaths and some exploration) on ultra violence. Treat the 1st hour or first few missions as one big tutorial. Once you get some runes and sentinel crystals to upgrade your suit (ammo capacity/armor/hp like in Doom 2016), the pace changes quite a bit. Once you get your timing / reflexes tuned for it, holy shit it's hectic and fun as hell.

all the levels so far are really long...doing all the side content is a lot of work...and the game is really challenging at times...the Slayer Gate inside the Cultist Base took me forever to complete

A nice deep dive into all of the tech that went into Doom Eternal. They also go over console performance.

All consoles do very well and manage 60 fps nearly all the time. The enhanced consoles of course do better and Playstation does slightly better than the XBOX counterparts, perhaps due to less cpu overhead from the OS.

Visuals wise, both base consoles are around medium and the enhanced are closer to Ultra, but from the screenshots shown in other videos, the One X is definitely more detailed.

Resolution is as expected. All use dynamic resolution and the pecking order is One X ranging from 1800p to 1440p, Pro ranging from 1440p to 1080p, PS4 1080p to 720p (rare), and OneS from 900p to 720p.

I'm loving the game so far. Ultra Violence is just difficult enough to make every battle a complete thrill without being super frustrating. I love that near the end of the map you can go back and look for the collectibles so you don't have to replay missions over and over if you don't want to.

Optimization in this game is loads better than DOOM 2016, if only for the load times. Game loads on a HDD within 5 seconds where the old game took up to 5 minutes at times.

Yeah the game loads crazy fast. It's just a few seconds to load an entire level in most cases.

Back