DOOM Eternal - Official

I’m still totally meh on it from the gameplay video I’ve seen. Seems like something I’d play for 45 minutes and be tired of it. And I grew up playing doom and wolfenstein too.

I just can’t do single player at all anymore unless it’s something totally epic like the upcoming Last of Us 2.

Strictly competitive multiplayer for me these days with the limited time I have.

Was, but not so much now. Multiplayer looks horrible and complex. After seeing the amount of platforming required in SP, decided it is not a first day purchase. Spring is here. Will probably wait until it goes on sale and play it next winter's inside season same way I did with Doom 2016.

Last edited:
Looks really good to me, big fan of 2016. Only thing I'm worried about is they say it's 2x as long as the first and I hope that doesn't mean a bunch of filler. 2016's length was great imo.

Looking forward to it. I need a new FPS game. I would like to eat my cake too so can I get the next Skyrim or Fallout six months after this please.

Making Games Fun Again.
Hiding behind cover? NO. Running at you full tilt with a side-by-side shotgun? YES. Possibly with chainsaw in tow. And the game actually supports and rewards that style.

My favorite description of the predecessor was "Imagine playing the cover art of an 80s metal album". What's not to like?

Last edited:
Hell to the FUCK Yes im excited. Ive been a doom fan since dos version when I first played it on Sherrifs Dept computer at the Jail when my father was a deputy in his Office and I was like 13 years old. He was like here son check this cool game out.

erek

I have to say I enjoy all the constant news your posting. It keeps me coming back. Keep it up. Maybe FragMaster can assign you the Newsie Tag

Last edited:
Cool. The stats in DOOM 2016 were already decent, but it's nice that they upgraded it.

Too much Mario...I'll pass.

Kind of feeling the same way. I loved Doom 2016 but for some reason I still can't get excited enough for this one. Level design seems different, story seems much more pronounced and it just feels they're trying too hard to make everything "cool." I hope I'm wrong but I wait for the reactions first.

Can't wait. Had this on pre-order for over a year. Lots of cool new features, like the Fortress of Doom (the DoomSlayers clubhouse basically) where collectibles you find as you play as displayed, plus a ton of references to other games, even those not Id/Bethesda (Saw a Black Mesa one pretty sure, maybe Aperture Science), references to the Doom books, just a ton of cool shit.

Launch Trailer:

Fortress of Doom:

Ouch.

Doom Eternal Is a Dizzying Catastrophe

Killing demons is still wickedly fun, an orgy of cathartic violence. But without the smart design of the original, it blurs together into an indistinct sort of thrill, like riding a bunch of roller coasters in a row until you can't really tell one apart from another. Doom was a smart, focused take on over-the-top, busy action. Doom Eternal is that same game, with its successes pulled so taut that they're starting to tear. And when the game tells you to rip and tear, I don't think that's quite what it is trying to say.

https://www.wired.com/story/doom-eternal-review/

They may be right, but traditionally I’ve found little correlation between Wired and my own tastes.

Ars had a more positive review. We’ll see!

Well Wired usually isn't my go-to for game reviews, and I rarely read published reviews anyhow (I may check on Steam though).

That said, I read the review and it actually sounds good. The stuff they didn't like actually sounds interesting to me.

I pre-ordered and I guess I'll find out for myself in a few days.

I want it, but not for 2x to 3x the price of other new releases. Normally steam charges me 20-30 dollars for AAA games, but for some reason Doom Eternal is listed at 60.
Too bad there is no official shareware.

Very excited! Loved the first remake, and this looks like it's going to put that to shame.
Spoiler alert:
Doom (2016) wasn't a remake :eek:
Ouch.

Killing demons is still wickedly fun, an orgy of cathartic violence. But without the smart design of the original, it blurs together into an indistinct sort of thrill, like riding a bunch of roller coasters in a row until you can't really tell one apart from another. Doom was a smart, focused take on over-the-top, busy action. Doom Eternal is that same game, with its successes pulled so taut that they're starting to tear. And when the game tells you to rip and tear, I don't think that's quite what it is trying to say.

Hmm...
1584540163372.png

https://opencritic.com/game/7410/doom-eternal

Can't wait to play it, but I'm holding out for their RT and DLSS patch before I pick it up and hopefully there will be a small sale by then.

Ouch.

Yeah, that's basically the opposite of the 4 other reviews I've seen so far on it. They all pretty much said this is a nice improvement in every way over the original, including level design, story, and game play.

Can't wait to play it, but I'm holding out for their RT and DLSS patch before I pick it up and hopefully there will be a small sale by then.
Rt I fully get but dlss? On Vulkan? Why? Its absokutely not needed.

Rt I fully get but dlss? On Vulkan? Why? Its absokutely not needed.

I'm sure I'll need DLSS to stay locked at 120 FPS at 3440x1440 and maxed settings. After seeing how effective DLSS was in Wolfenstein YB and knowing this will be a bit more demanding than that, I'd definitely like to have it still esp. with RT enabled and targeting 120 FPS. I mean, I'd be fine with 60 FPS, but if I can get more performance with a negligible hit on image quality, I'll take that any day.

That's why Wolfenstein: Youngblood got the best DLSS implementation yet? Because it's not needed?

Doom Eternal doesnt even have rays, maybe death rays from the bfg, so its moot. But in the future there is talk of adding it.

I always forget that dlss enhances RT performance. So yeah if RT is inplemented then yes dlss makes sense. I should remember this esp. Owning a 2080ti but there isnt much out with RT to be honest, at least that I play.

Yeah that negative review seemed like they were desiring more substance from the story. For a single player FPS I traditionally like the feeling that I am barely keeping my head above water the entire time, and I am getting new ways to frag frequently. I am also getting tired of games that add difficulty by making enemies bullet sponges, as I would rather win/lose encounters quickly. There are just certain titles where you don't want production value getting in the way of intense game play. Looks to me like a high speed shooter with some Sekiro esk mechanics.....which may turn out great.

I want it, but not for 2x to 3x the price of other new releases. Normally steam charges me 20-30 dollars for AAA games, but for some reason Doom Eternal is listed at 60.
Too bad there is no official shareware.

Gmg has it for $53.... support your devs man. Come on.

Back