Doom 4 expectations

madgun

[H]ard|Gawd
Doom 4's production began in May, 2008. It's been a year and we haven't really seen any concepts yet.

Doom 1 and 2 are my childhood games and I thought Doom3 was just fine. I am having high expectations of Doom 4 which is supposed to be John Carmack's last big effort, as he has been foretelling for a long time.

What do you guys expect of this legendary title?

As usual with ID, I expect the graphics to be stellar.
As usual with ID, I expect the gameplay and story to be crap.

I'm expecting green meadows. Butterflies flittering about, their flight assisted by a soothing breeze that brings with it the scent of the lavender growing nearby. A cloudless sky. Deer prancing off in the distance...

Then suddenly HELL OUT OF MUTHAFUCKIN NOWHERE!

As usual with ID, expect to have insufficient hardware to run the game at anything but low settings.

Yeah Doom IV is going to kick your fucking ass like a sledgehammer to the face!, if its anything like Doom 3 was and the hardware we have now, expect to pee your pants on multiple occasions. Its too soon to start rumors now though, but I have way high expectations for this. And just like Doom 3 did as far as hardware and computer graphics its going to change everything. Cant wait!.

I expect Doom 4 to rock my nuts and leave them whistling O Come All Ye Faithful.

Funny how everyone (myself included) hates on John Romero now, but ever since they lost him (and went more sci-fi) Doom 3 and its art direction while powered by a good engine... just didn't feel much like, well... Doom

It was bad enough Quake losing the Hell aspect... but this sci-fi has to go, or atleast get toned down. But, I'm sure it will be a fine game.

Funny how everyone (myself included) hates on John Romero now, but ever since they lost him (and went more sci-fi) Doom 3 and its art direction while powered by a good engine... just didn't feel much like, well... Doom

It was bad enough Quake losing the Hell aspect... but this sci-fi has to go, or atleast get toned down. But, I'm sure it will be a fine game.

Agreed. I wasnt big on Quake 4 or Doom 3 compared to their older counterparts. They just felt meh. Doom 3 was good for a scare though.

It will scare the shit out of people......

i remeber when i first got Doom 3, 5 mins into it i was pissing myself, had it set up with 5.1 and in my room, all dark, i had to turn the lights on!, to this day i still havent gotten very far into it.

I hope for an awesome game.
I expect a 4-6 hour tech demo of their new engine.
I will prolly get something in between.

A solid shooter, with excellent graphics, with numerous engine capabilities overused, to properly demo the capabilities of their new engine to possible licensees. Just like Doom 3. It's all good.

The problem was that, while Romero seemed to have a good (if a bit abrasive) influence on Id, Id was far more beneficial to Romero than Romero was to Id. Once the two went their separate ways well... you guys know the rest of the story.

As much as we all complain about D3 not living up to the legacy, Id is still successful and relevant in the industry.

But yeah, I'm hoping Doom 4 will have a bit more subtlety and variety.

Didn't they say something about going back to fighting hordes kinda like in the first two?

I expect it not to be a huge colossal peice of shit like Doom3/Quake4 were in everything from the schlock scare factor 0 to the horrible weapons and the boring repetitive gameplay of X zombie jumps out of hiding at me.
I expect the PC version to have proper coop support.
I expect it not to have an engine that was only adopted by a handful of games unlike Unreal 2.0X 3.0X.

I expect another DOOM movie except only this time, instead of The Rock playing Sarge, Vin Diesel plays Sarge.

I'm expecting for best graphics and an awesome scenario. I hope I'll be able to get my hands on it this year!!

I expect mindless corridoor crawling, scary monsters jumping out of closets and huge ass muva weapons, if you're expecting anything else then I don't think you understand what Doom is all about :)

hopefully Doom IV will have a more interactive/destructive environment that is more than just eye candy ..

I really hope they toss all the scripted garbage that plagued Doom 3. If they left everything dynamic/up to the AI, it would of been a much better game IMO. It was good for some cheap thrills, but it didn't have much replay value since you knew exactualy what was going to happen when you crossed an imaginary line

I expect linear game play, back tracking, monster closets, and obvious ambush points.

Isn't id primarily working on that racing game and outsourcing this one?
The last time they did that we got Quake 4, which IMO was 5x better than Doom 3. Plus, but the time we got it, we finally had hardware decent enought to run it well.
Personally, if it were up to me, I'd like to see the "hell on Earth" theme come back. No need for a bunch of dark rooms, labs, and corridors. Give me a ruined cityscape and chaos. There's no need for Serious Sam type of stuff, but anything beats the Doom 3 gameplay map of:

1. Open door
2. Sidestep left/right
3. Turn and shoot the same Imp that has supposedly been "scary" for the 100th time.
4. Repeat over and over

Plus, the whole idea of seeing the exit early in a level and having to go through a level just to get the exit keycard got really old, too.

Lack of variety's what made Doom 3 so dull.

Isn't id primarily working on that racing game and outsourcing this one?

No, they're doing Rage and Doom 4 in house.

Same engine, but Rage wil be native 60 fps, Doom 4 will be native 30 fps, so a lot more detail and effects. Carmark said the PC version "will look significantly better than the consoles."

PCs already are so far ahead of the console GPUs, but that will especially be the case by the time Doom 4 comes out. I'm guessing 2011 ?

Last edited:
I think it will be a remake of Doom 2, like Doom 3 was a remake of Doom. There should be a lot more open areas, and much larger monster crowds, compared to Doom 3.

yep, they should make it like Serious Sam ;)

Gun WITH Flashlight

Ah you beat me to it.

I'd like to see the following:

- Market it as a brutal, violent, take-no-prisoners type of game... not a horror game. I'll take endless waves of demons over zombie closets anyday
- No more zombie closets. I doubt that these things just wait in platform-triggered storage closets to jump out at you. It was freaky for the first hour, but after that... meh
- Improve the weapon design. Steal ideas from Dead Space if you have to
- Don't make the ragdolls disintegrate immediately. I want to see the carnage!
- No more flying babies. Seriously... that was creepy
- Modernize the game a little bit. Iron sights, scopes, and maybe some different types of grenades might freshen things up. No vehicle levels, though...

Expect console port lameness.
Doubt it. id knows how to do multi-platform right.

Same engine, but Rage wil be native 60 fps, Doom 4 will be native 30 fps, so a lot more detail and effects.
John said about three times more visual detail than Rage, which is pretty impressive considering how God damn good Rage looks.

I'm totally psyched about building a killer rig for Rage and Doom 4. I plan to be rockin' eight cores by the time Rage is out :cool:

Less scripted please. Doom 3 started to be so predictible, after first few rooms. Then you could easily guess from where the monster will jump. It quickly became boring, very boring. If I want to play Resident Evil, I'll get it. Doom is all about shooting demons :)

I don't care about plot. Give me plasma gun, drop me on Mars and send demons... tons of it, then dark places, good monster A.I, and make the BFG like Doom 1 BFG, not some lameass gun :) It is supposed to clear a room with a shot.

Oh... and give me the nightmare level, with monsters ressurecting behind you :D

"Hey, isn't that one of the Doom space marines", as would Duke say

whats with all the doom 3 hate.. if scripted events makes the game good, why not put it in.. really, who replays the same game anyhow????

Back