• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Doom 3 Expansion Preview + screenshots

I don't see myself getting the expansion. After all the hype..it wasn't all that impressive to me. Although scary at some parts (i.e. Zombie busting out from under the stair case in the initial 30 min :eek: ), just didn't catch my attention too much..
 
Having played both Doom3 and HL2 (I just got it last Friday!), I would have to say that HL2 is WAY more enjoyable for these 2 reasons:
1) The story in HL2 is just so much deeper. Now I know the Doom series has never been really strong on story; the game was more of a mindless, shoot everything type. But I think the natural evolution of games should lead to improvements in all aspects. We saw how great the graphics engine was with Doom3 so is it that wrong to ask for a few decent writers to add another dimension to the Doom series?
2) Multiplayer: if a mod comes out for Doom3 that is of the same caliber that Counterstrike was for original HL, this might change. But right now, multiplayer Doom3 is goofy.

Just my two cents :)
 
Moose777 said:
Yeah, the difference? iD isn't going to fuck it's fans by making it DL an installer then pay rediculous amounts of money to play a game that requires an internet connection to play the game every time.


I enjoyed D3, I still ahven't finished it and I've had it since the beginning of November. I'm sorry, I'm a little bitch and it scares me. LOL...I'll but the expansion.

I'd rather spend $50+ bucks on a game even if it is just an expansion made by iD than waste my time and money on a game made by VALVe.

Well...it's not difficult to understand that id realizes that the money they're going to make from D3 is not on sales of the actual game itself but from the licensing of the engine technology. So...they can be rabid about anti-piracy in that they make a CD secure installer which MOST people won't consider attempting to circumvent. Then they sit back and rake in the cash from D3 sales and D3 Engine licensing.

Meanwhile Valve has done almost the identical thing id did...create a kick ass game engine, create a moderately good (albeit better than D3) game around it, but pissed all over themselves trying to keep piracy at bay. During the pissing contest they've managed to piss off a lot of their fan base with download, connection, and content problems. Not to mention a horrible bug in their game engine. Not good.

So yeah...I can see your point. :D
 
Wolf-R1 said:
Well...it's not difficult to understand that id realizes that the money they're going to make from D3 is not on sales of the actual game itself but from the licensing of the engine technology. So...they can be rabid about anti-piracy in that they make a CD secure installer which MOST people won't consider attempting to circumvent. Then they sit back and rake in the cash from D3 sales and D3 Engine licensing.

Meanwhile Valve has done almost the identical thing id did...create a kick ass game engine, create a moderately good (albeit better than D3) game around it, but pissed all over themselves trying to keep piracy at bay. During the pissing contest they've managed to piss off a lot of their fan base with download, connection, and content problems. Not to mention a horrible bug in their game engine. Not good.

So yeah...I can see your point. :D
Thanks. Finally someone agrees with me on the whole VALVe thing.
:D
 
Prolly I won't buy the expansion... I haven't finished Doom3 yet because got annoyed by the super duper uber graphics that I can't see in the dark...
The only game I think was worth it(for me) is Diablo2 and Diablo2 Expansion... second is Half Life I guess...
 
I haven't beat it yet either. And I've been playing it since November. LOL But I'm going to get the expansion regardless of beating it or not.
 
Moose777 said:
Thanks. Finally someone agrees with me on the whole VALVe thing.
:D
Count me in, I'm going to get HL2 at this point until they atleast fix some of the problems with it.
 
hunt.jpg


lol I expected an easter egg after a while, so I stopped at 100.

edit: lol thought this was the screenshot thread, guess not =P
 
i havent even tried the sp part ive just been playing ctf and from someone that wasnt that impressed by d3's mp i'm really enjoying the threewave ctf.. just a lot of fun and well worth it!
 
Sly said:
@kick@ss
I was referring to HL:CS. Not CS:CZ nor HL2:CS.

EDIT: Misspelled kick@ss's name. Sorry.
Valve has owned all the rights to HL:CS for quite a long time (2-3 years I'd say).
 
sodaz said:
This expansion pack should be free of charge imo. It should be something that you can download.

Why don't you go to work and tell your Boss you'll work for free for a week. Or should I say maybe ask your dad for an allowance raise..........

I tell you America's youth is getting so freakin' lazy nowadays with stupid ass comments like this.
 
Lord of Shadows said:
hunt.jpg


lol I expected an easter egg after a while, so I stopped at 100.

edit: lol thought this was the screenshot thread, guess not =P
Is that what the Turkey Puncher game turns into?

Because the other day I found another video game machine on one of the later levels but it didn't work since crap went to hell.

Damn, I should've spent more time on that Turkey Puncher game.

Or is this Bear killing game in RoE?
 
There are 3-4 little arcades in the expansion. The game is a lot more enjoyable than the original. I suggest buying it, for $25 it's a good bargain (depending on where you look)

EDIT: Moose, your sig is a few lines too long, change it please.
 
retardedchicken said:
There are 3-4 little arcades in the expansion. The game is a lot more enjoyable than the original. I suggest buying it, for $25 it's a good bargain (depending on where you look)

EDIT: Moose, your sig is a few lines too long, change it please.
Sure thing. I'm sorry.

I've already bought the game but I refuse to play it until I beat D3.
 
CastleBravo said:
It is one of those things, people assume the engine doesn't have the feature because it isn't in the game. You still have HL2 fan whores swearing that Doom 3 has no physics because the game didn't have a gravity gun in it, that it CAN'T render water because you don't see any, etc. :rolleyes:

Well Doom3's physics engine isn't good at all compared to the havok engine. Everyone knows it has physics, just VERy improper physics.

I don't know how water looks in the doom3 engine because everything does look the same.

Now I LOVE HL2, but I still bought the expansion pack for Doom3 because I enjoy it for what it is: Average shooter.
 
Wolf-R1 said:
Well...it's not difficult to understand that id realizes that the money they're going to make from D3 is not on sales of the actual game itself but from the licensing of the engine technology. So...they can be rabid about anti-piracy in that they make a CD secure installer which MOST people won't consider attempting to circumvent. Then they sit back and rake in the cash from D3 sales and D3 Engine licensing.

Meanwhile Valve has done almost the identical thing id did...create a kick ass game engine, create a moderately good (albeit better than D3) game around it, but pissed all over themselves trying to keep piracy at bay. During the pissing contest they've managed to piss off a lot of their fan base with download, connection, and content problems. Not to mention a horrible bug in their game engine. Not good.

So yeah...I can see your point. :D

That's bad thinking.

ID had the market when the quake3 engine came out yes. No one else was really making engines. Unreal 2 engine came along and then people had more choices.

NOW: We have the cry engine, Doom3 engine, Source engine, unreal 3 coming up (and already securing developers and xbox2) Artificial reality....I'm sure your getting the point.
So thinking "they are going to make their money from the engine" Might not be as much of a punch as it used to be.

People are LOVING the source engine. Doom3 engine was kind of pushed away because it didn't really show off what it could do. And the game really dropped off fast. You make a good game with all the bells and whistles (your advertisement) you sell your engine better.

Also the "pissing off people", doesn't mean everyone who wants to use the source engine has to have steam. Vampire Bloodlines was using the source engine and didn't require any connection. That's simply a Valve thing for there own game.
 
Welp I'm finally at the end of D3 and I've gotta say, I'm kind of disappointed. Not in the game itself I love the game.

But more in the way of a few weapons.

BFG 9K....I saw it maybe once the entire game and it was an NPC who had it. I briefly had it for half a level somewhere towards the middle of the game. Haven't seen it since.

Soul Cube. What the fuck? Seriously. The Soul Cube has got to be the weakest weapon in the entire game. Kill 4 baddies only to be able to use it to kill one? You'[d think for a device that has the souls of the former inhabitants of the planet trapped in it they'd be a little more pissed off and would want to kill more than one thing at a time. Case in point. Level where you are searching for Sarge to stop him you are in the big server room where you've got 2 Arch-Viles and a few of the Wraiths and I break out the Soul Cube thinking it'd take out a few of them nope.....it drops on Ardch-Vile and that's it. I'd rather use the pistol.

I hope the Artifact in RoE is more powerful than the SC. Especially if they make you go through some crazy shit to get it.
 
You can get the bfg before sarge if you dont kill the guy in the chamber and remember to look back for the code when you find the bfg locked in the room and do the door number code switch thing. If not there there you can get it from the sarge boss and behind the teleporter to the guardian. As for the soul cube it saved my boot in nightmare mode.
 
Netrat33 said:
Well Doom3's physics engine isn't good at all compared to the havok engine. Everyone knows it has physics, just VERy improper physics.

I don't know how water looks in the doom3 engine because everything does look the same.

Now I LOVE HL2, but I still bought the expansion pack for Doom3 because I enjoy it for what it is: Average shooter.

If Doom3 is an average shooter, then 99% of the FPS out there are total crap in comparison.

ROE is nice because the pace is quicker. Less overall corridors. The Artifact is cool, although it's kind of a crutch too.
 
Lord of Shadows said:
You can get the bfg before sarge if you dont kill the guy in the chamber and remember to look back for the code when you find the bfg locked in the room and do the door number code switch thing. If not there there you can get it from the sarge boss and behind the teleporter to the guardian. As for the soul cube it saved my boot in nightmare mode.
What guy, in what chamber?

I switched out door panels already, did I miss it? I'm half tempted to just do the "Gimme" cheat to get it.

And I honestly haven't found the Soul Cube useful and I'm playing on the difficulty just above Nightmare.
 
Netrat33 said:
People are LOVING the source engine. Doom3 engine was kind of pushed away because it didn't really show off what it could do. And the game really dropped off fast. You make a good game with all the bells and whistles (your advertisement) you sell your engine better.

To me the source engine isn't all what everyone is talking about. The doom 3 engine to me has more potential because of the special effects and everything that was in the doom 3 expansion. A lot of upcoming sequels are going to use the doom 3 engine like sof3, quake 4, the next return to castle wolfeinstien, and then few more most likely. I think its going to be a hit soon. :)

The upcoming games will show the doom 3 engine in all its glory like what counter strike did with the hl2 engine. We haven't seen any outside invirements on doom 3 engine so i don't think anyone should judge yet if you have nothing to base your opinion on.
 
I'm the Dude said:
If Doom3 is an average shooter, then 99% of the FPS out there are total crap in comparison.

ROE is nice because the pace is quicker. Less overall corridors. The Artifact is cool, although it's kind of a crutch too.


well I would bring your precentage down...but I would say 90% ARE crap. The top ones you hear a lot about (HL2, Farcry, Doom3,) are pretty much "the ones" That's why you only hear of same ones being brought up over and over again

(yes there are a few more but I'm sort of at a blank right now)
 
Conker said:
To me the source engine isn't all what everyone is talking about. The doom 3 engine to me has more potential because of the special effects and everything that was in the doom 3 expansion. A lot of upcoming sequels are going to use the doom 3 engine like sof3, quake 4, the next return to castle wolfeinstien, and then few more most likely. I think its going to be a hit soon. :)

The upcoming games will show the doom 3 engine in all its glory like what counter strike did with the hl2 engine. We haven't seen any outside invirements on doom 3 engine so i don't think anyone should judge yet if you have nothing to base your opinion on.

I can base my opinion on exactly that: Opinion. I'm not slamming doom3's engine but I didn't see anything new in the expansion (granted I'm still playing it and do like it...but nothing new other than weapons). But to think that's the only option for ID to make "an engine" and then have a bunch of competion engines already showing what it can do, you just make a harder sell for yourself.

But as for quake 4, lot of people are saying "looks like doom3" so artistically to show of the engine...gotta do something new with it. What is sof3?
 
Netrat33 said:
That's bad thinking.

ID had the market when the quake3 engine came out yes. No one else was really making engines. Unreal 2 engine came along and then people had more choices.

NOW: We have the cry engine, Doom3 engine, Source engine, unreal 3 coming up (and already securing developers and xbox2) Artificial reality....I'm sure your getting the point.
So thinking "they are going to make their money from the engine" Might not be as much of a punch as it used to be.

People are LOVING the source engine. Doom3 engine was kind of pushed away because it didn't really show off what it could do. And the game really dropped off fast. You make a good game with all the bells and whistles (your advertisement) you sell your engine better.

Also the "pissing off people", doesn't mean everyone who wants to use the source engine has to have steam. Vampire Bloodlines was using the source engine and didn't require any connection. That's simply a Valve thing for there own game.


No it's not bad thinking. It's a fact. That is traditional id business. I didn't say that they would make money or that they would be successful which I'm sure they will be. But as you pointed out it's a vastly different market out there than what it used to be.

Traditionally id has been successful in creating a game engine, showcasing it's abilities, and making tons of money on subsequent licensing deals.

The reason why people are "LOVING" the Source engine is because Valve was smart enough to create a game in which they could shocase nearly all of its capabilities. That is where id's first mistake with the D3 engine lies. They chose a game limited in it's environment by nature as the engines premire where they couldn't truly display all of it's virtues. Furthermore they appear to not have spent as much time on the game itself as they did the engine. The proof is in the game, as you mentioned, dropped away because it wasn't as good as everyone thought it was going to be.

As to your last point, go back and read what I wrote. I said that Valve pissed all over themselves to protect their GAME. NOT their engine. Who the hell's going to pirate a game engine en masse? And for what? It takes quite a bit of resource and talent to create a game that could use the kind of firepower that the Source engine is capable of. Furthermore once they marketed their game to the masses they would soon be caught and sued I'm sure.
 
Back
Top