Don't forget your free monthly UBISOFT games.

The Crew is already being given away for free...wow...seems like the game is only a few months old...this was supposed to be one of Ubisoft's big games

The Crew is already being given away for free...wow...seems like the game is only a few months old...this was supposed to be one of Ubisoft's big games

Not that recent.

The Crew was part of Pick Your Path pack nVidia had during the end of 2014, the other 2 games were Farcry 4 and Assassin's Creed Unity.

This makes the base game nearly 2 years old by this stage.

Not that recent.

The Crew was part of Pick Your Path pack nVidia had during the end of 2014, the other 2 games were Farcry 4 and Assassin's Creed Unity.

time flies...The Crew seems more recent...next thing you know they're going to offer Far Cry 4 for free

It does feel like the Crew came out just yesterday. I planned to get it at one point, but that was right around the time all of the AC: Unity controversy.
I can't argue with free, so I'll give it a go.

Well here's hoping it comes with wild run so I don't need to pay for it :)

(already own a copy of the game/season pass)

is the game any good?...when it came out reviews weren't all that great

mid-range, it isn't a bad game. I mostly just went exploring for the lost car parts or whatever they were called.
I can't say I liked the handling

It's very clearly Ubisoft's attempt at a Need for Speed clone. It's so similar it even stutters/bogs down when taking turns in the same way :p No matter what detail settings I use, the bogdowns seem to be engine-related.

If performance was more consistent (there's an 18-page thread about it over at Ubisoft) I'd probably even consider buying the DLC. It's pretty clear they're giving it away to hopefully get some DLC sales. They remind you that you don't have the full version quite a bit, and a second DLC pack is on the way in 6 weeks. It was probably too late to cancel the development for it, so the game is just following a F2P model now.

EDIT: Tested Triple Buffering and it isn't the culprit. That's been an issue for Ubi in the past. It isn't unplayable, but it's weird that the game will just completely bog down here and there. Typically when taking a turn and in certain intersections. After reading dozens of half-ass fixes involving 30fps caps, custom resolutions with 58hz refresh rates, etc. I think it's just a so-so port. It looks/runs great about 90% of the time, so it's not like there's a constant stutter or fps problem. When it bogs down in those spots, the game seems to go into bullet time for a second or two.

Last edited:
Tried The Crew...eh. It's alright, performance for the graphical quality is not great at 1440p on my rig. Lots of rubber banding bullshit, which is pretty unforgivable IMO in a modern racing game. The online dependency just seems stupid as well.

I really do want to like this game. If it didn't have so much of that hitching it would probably be better than the last several Need for Speed games.
It certainly has issues, but even with the prompts to buy the DLC it's a pretty good game to be free.

I don't understand some of the slang in the game, and there does not seem to be a wiki. What does it mean when they say "earn your v4 ink?"

I think when you rank up, they give you ink to demonstrate your level. As you complete races, you will automagically earn inks. AFAIR from memory.

IMO the biggest fault with The Crew was very small number of cars you could get in game. Those really cool ones had to be purchased with real money.

I'm still waiting for some way to even out performance. I've tried everything under the sun from FPS limiting, tweaking Nvidia settings, overclocking my video card, toggling random things in-game, etc.
Nada. It'll play wonderful in stretches and bog down to an underwater slideshow in others.

They could give away all their latest AAA titles for free and I still wouldn't sign up for Origin.

Steam or DRM-free or bust.

If I have to sign up for any service other than Steam I'm not buying it (or accepting it for free) no matter what it is.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
this ^ hate Ubisoft and their stupid online platform with a passion

Hell yeah - so far this free game program has been pretty awesome.

Wow, some of you are really against anything other than Steam.

Both Origin and Uplay have come a long way and I no longer hesitate to buy games if they aren't on Steam. Granted, neither are as good as Steam, but you're missing out on some great games with that attitude.

I shop at Target, WalMart, Sears, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, etc. I think that game publishers would be best served if they have their product available on all platforms. But if they only want it to sold on a specific platform then that's fine. I don't mind a different platform as long as it works well, respects my privacy, is useful and easy to navigate. I have embraced the global economy and buy titles for the cheapest possible price. Likewise I could care less what program launches them as long as it is a good program to use.

If I were to limit myself to one platform, then I would choose GOG.com as they are the only ones with no DRM.

Now if I had to purchase the right to use a new platform to play games then I wouldn't. That's why I don't see the need for a XBOX One or PS4. Likewise I don't care for the console exclusives as I would be forced to purchase another gaming system to play them. Seems that Sony and Microsoft figured this out and are trying to expand into the PC gaming arena. As long as the Windows Store works I don't care that I have to download Forza from it. I'm thinking about trying that Sony game streaming program to play The Last of Us. Playstation Vue is pretty awesome so Sony has my favor at this point. Not enough to spend money on a console, but to support their PC endeavors.

Wow, some of you are really against anything other than Steam.

Both Origin and Uplay have come a long way and I no longer hesitate to buy games if they aren't on Steam. Granted, neither are as good as Steam, but you're missing out on some great games with that attitude.
Actually origin gotten worse recently. The UI is a mess now, and quite confusing to navigate. IT took me quite a few minutes to even find my game library trough all the bloat.

I don't even know how they thought showing anything else than your gaming library as the default screen would be a good idea.

Most services want to show you their store ASAP. I have no issue with that as long as reaching your library is easy enough.

I don't even know how they thought showing anything else than your gaming library as the default screen would be a good idea.

Steam doesn't default to your Library either...with all these gaming clients everyone should take a few minutes and go into the Settings and customize things...I always disable things such as 'start up with Windows' and a few other things in all my programs...Origin definitely has the worst UI...GOG Galaxy also has a very bad UI

The first revisions of Origin probably had the cleanest and simplest UI, but the newer versions (especially the latest that uses Java) are awful.
Uplay is probably one of the better ones now. Steam's okay because it's very customizable, but "out of the box" I don't think it's particularly great. GOG feels like it's just a web browser with a launcher in the corner. Battle.net is streamlined and simple once you get used to it but there's a lot going on when you first start using it.
IMO the best store interface to date was the old Xbox Live store with the "blades" when the 360 launched.

Back